Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FTC's Investigation into Star Citizen

2

Comments

  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,141
    It's impossible for anyone to say anything about the outcome as no one here is Derek Smart or Chris Roberts. It's always fun to speculate though isn't it?

  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited September 2015
    Rhoklaw said:
    It's impossible for anyone to say anything about the outcome as no one here is Derek Smart or Chris Roberts. It's always fun to speculate though isn't it?

    Its the same handful of apologists and DS haters that appear on every single thread about this matter.   It never really has been about SC.  It's mostly been about a handful of Chris Roberts supporters (more than likely family members, friends, and "associates") and a whole bunch of Derek Smart haters.   
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,002
    laserit said:
    Jaedor said:
    Wulf Knight is the whale who invested $20k+ in SC. I remember seeing a video about him and his whopping investment in the game. I imagine DS' saber-rattling makes him a little nervous from time to time.
    I would suggest that someone who would/could spend 20k on a video game, doesn't really give a crap about the 20k
    I'm not so sure:


    (source)

    and

    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5284857/#Comment_5284857

    I don't want to dawdle in morbid reflection here; call it a form of gratitude that I didn't get pulled in early on.  People can spend their money however they choose, but I have to wonder about those stories regarding people spending their kids' college funds and getting divorced.

    Whitewashing the matter by saying that the money isn't important is missing a big part of what's going on.  In some cases that may be true, but at this point I don't think it's an exaggeration or hyperbole to say that this project has ruined lives.

    I'm not saying CIG or SC is to blame here, but it's a sad thing to watch.

    "The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,104
    Rhoklaw said:
    It's impossible for anyone to say anything about the outcome as no one here is Derek Smart or Chris Roberts. It's always fun to speculate though isn't it?

    Its the same handful of apologists and DS haters that appear on every single thread about this matter.   It never really has been about SC.  It's mostly been about a handful of Chris Roberts supporters (more than likely family members, friends, and "associates") and a whole bunch of Derek Smart haters.   
    I don't know that much about it, but from previous issues DS has had it would suggest that he is the hater to me.  He makes some valid points for sure but the approach is a little over the top.  that makes it seem like he is looking for attention or alternately must be that aggressive in everything else that he does.  I can see why people find the way he goes about things a little offensive.  

    The only issue I have with it is that if it costs another developer a lot of money to deal with his legal threats etc, then that is money flushed down the toilet for both of them that should be spent making games.

    Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,305
    laserit said:
    Jaedor said:
    Wulf Knight is the whale who invested $20k+ in SC. I remember seeing a video about him and his whopping investment in the game. I imagine DS' saber-rattling makes him a little nervous from time to time.
    I would suggest that someone who would/could spend 20k on a video game, doesn't really give a crap about the 20k
    I'm not so sure:


    (source)

    and

    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5284857/#Comment_5284857

    I don't want to dawdle in morbid reflection here; call it a form of gratitude that I didn't get pulled in early on.  People can spend their money however they choose, but I have to wonder about those stories regarding people spending their kids' college funds and getting divorced.

    Whitewashing the matter by saying that the money isn't important is missing a big part of what's going on.  In some cases that may be true, but at this point I don't think it's an exaggeration or hyperbole to say that this project has ruined lives.

    I'm not saying CIG or SC is to blame here, but it's a sad thing to watch.
    Well since we're talking about an investment solely for entertainment purposes and not a financial investment.

    I would then strongly suggest that the people in your examples see a shrink because they definitely have some serious issues.

    Some people are just plain nuts.

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I can't wait for this game to officially release. I'm not going to play it, but if all the drama so far is any indication of the shitstorm awaiting launch, it will be comedy gold. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,305
    edited September 2015
    Rhoklaw said:
    It's impossible for anyone to say anything about the outcome as no one here is Derek Smart or Chris Roberts. It's always fun to speculate though isn't it?

    Its the same handful of apologists and DS haters that appear on every single thread about this matter.   It never really has been about SC.  It's mostly been about a handful of Chris Roberts supporters (more than likely family members, friends, and "associates") and a whole bunch of Derek Smart haters.   
    Kind of sounds like you're tossing a two headed coin. Personally I just like the humor in this epic battle between good and evil.

    I wonder what would happen if we sprinkled a little bit of Holy water on Derek



    THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I have thoroughly enjoyed watching all of this unfold. I have popped at least 20 bags of popcorn this month alone reading about Mr. Smart's glorious crusade.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Axllow18 said:
    I have thoroughly enjoyed watching all of this unfold. I have popped at least 20 bags of popcorn this month alone reading about Mr. Smart's glorious crusade.
    Just imagine how many bags you will be popping if DS turns out to be correct. The Internet will explode with the amount of rage from hurt SC fans or maybe since the net runs on hatred it will evolve into a self aware entity with the amount of power coursing through it ;)
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,141
    Aethaeryn said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    It's impossible for anyone to say anything about the outcome as no one here is Derek Smart or Chris Roberts. It's always fun to speculate though isn't it?

    Its the same handful of apologists and DS haters that appear on every single thread about this matter.   It never really has been about SC.  It's mostly been about a handful of Chris Roberts supporters (more than likely family members, friends, and "associates") and a whole bunch of Derek Smart haters.   
    I don't know that much about it, but from previous issues DS has had it would suggest that he is the hater to me.  He makes some valid points for sure but the approach is a little over the top.  that makes it seem like he is looking for attention or alternately must be that aggressive in everything else that he does.  I can see why people find the way he goes about things a little offensive.  

    The only issue I have with it is that if it costs another developer a lot of money to deal with his legal threats etc, then that is money flushed down the toilet for both of them that should be spent making games.
    Of course, none of this would even be a legal issue if RSI or whoever, had turned over their finances to the public. I mean, shit, if you got nothing to hide, then why hide it? That is why we are here, because a loud mouth and very unhappy individual demanded to know where his and everyone else's money was being spent and RSI basically said F*** Off. Is this not the case?

  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,104
    edited September 2015
    Rhoklaw said:
    Aethaeryn said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    It's impossible for anyone to say anything about the outcome as no one here is Derek Smart or Chris Roberts. It's always fun to speculate though isn't it?

    Its the same handful of apologists and DS haters that appear on every single thread about this matter.   It never really has been about SC.  It's mostly been about a handful of Chris Roberts supporters (more than likely family members, friends, and "associates") and a whole bunch of Derek Smart haters.   
    I don't know that much about it, but from previous issues DS has had it would suggest that he is the hater to me.  He makes some valid points for sure but the approach is a little over the top.  that makes it seem like he is looking for attention or alternately must be that aggressive in everything else that he does.  I can see why people find the way he goes about things a little offensive.  

    The only issue I have with it is that if it costs another developer a lot of money to deal with his legal threats etc, then that is money flushed down the toilet for both of them that should be spent making games.
    Of course, none of this would even be a legal issue if RSI or whoever, had turned over their finances to the public. I mean, shit, if you got nothing to hide, then why hide it? That is why we are here, because a loud mouth and very unhappy individual demanded to know where his and everyone else's money was being spent and RSI basically said F*** Off. Is this not the case?
    Yes, but who is going to voluntarily go through that amount of crap to appease one guy?

    I think if they have their books in order its not a big deal I agree with that. . but I have a little ODD in my and someone demanding I do something usually ends up in me doing the very best I can not to.

    When I was a manager in retail (not my current job) and someone came in yelling at me and demanding that I refund him for the phone he threw at his wife (so it broke). . . um. . no!  If someone comes in and explains the situation and asks if I can help them out, I will go out of my way to make sure it happens.  It looks like they are refunding whoever wants it.

    Again, maybe at this point, if there is nothing to hide, just release the info to shut him up, but most people consider revealing how much they spend and where to be a part of their "trade secrets".  This is the problem with crowd funding.   People think they are investors rather than customers.  Imagine going into any other company as a customer and demanding their financials.  I guess it all comes down to whether they deliver what they promised.  It is pretty hard to prove that one way or the other when they aren't finished.

    Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Whats the saying? You catch more flies with honey? Same thing here as Aethaeryn has so aptly put. No company needs to show their financials to anyone unless they are a publicly traded company of course but SC exists because of gamer money so you would think that they would throw something out there to show how the money is being spent. I'm sure even a small sample would satisfy most of the people with some doubts and it would cause this to quietly fade away as it lost steam

  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited September 2015
    donger56 said:
    [mod edit]

    They don't want to hear that.  They just want to make it about Derek Smart.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • cosliecoslie Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited September 2015
    donger56 said:
    [mod edit]

    They don't want to hear that.  They just want to make it about Derek Smart.
    Actually Derek Smart wants to make it about Derek Smart.  Because no matter what it is, Derek Smart always wants to make it about Derek Smart.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    RSI has no more obligation to turn over their finances than 3000AD or Blizzard does. Why do people think this is even a legit demand?

    Crowd funders are not investors, they are customers period and as such have no legal right to demand financial data from a company period.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Xeno.phon said:
    RSI has no more obligation to turn over their finances than 3000AD or Blizzard does. Why do people think this is even a legit demand?

    Crowd funders are not investors, they are customers period and as such have no legal right to demand financial data from a company period.
    Well blizzard and I am assuming 3000AD are funded by investors or by the company itself while SC was funded by backers. I realize this doesn't change anything in terms of opening the books to people but you would think they would show something to stop the complaints.

    RSI could have stopped this before it could gain any traction by posting snippets of how the money is spent. It would appease DS but if he is the only one out there yelling and screaming who's really going to pay attention to him?
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited September 2015
    coslie said:
    donger56 said:
    [mod edit]

    They don't want to hear that.  They just want to make it about Derek Smart.
    Actually Derek Smart wants to make it about Derek Smart.  Because no matter what it is, Derek Smart always wants to make it about Derek Smart.

    That is what his detractors want to believe.  His request is merely one of transparency.  You don't have to like Derek Smart to agree with the issue.  The problem with so many is that they refuse to recognize or acknowledge the matter because they dislike Smart.    Derek Smart has simply voiced the same request for transparency that many backers have voiced but been ignored.  As much as you Smart haters want to make this about Smart, it isn't.    
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    edited September 2015
    coslie said:
    donger56 said:
    [mod edit]

    They don't want to hear that.  They just want to make it about Derek Smart.
    Actually Derek Smart wants to make it about Derek Smart.  Because no matter what it is, Derek Smart always wants to make it about Derek Smart.
    ^Pretty much this.

    Look I don't care if Star Citizen is the greatest success or the greatest failure of our time, I'm just happy that it and Elite: Dangerous proved to all the suits out there that space games can very much make you money. It's existence alone has helped to nudge the industry to get out of it's slump as of late.

    But let's make no bones about it; Derek Smart's grand crusade has always been about himself. That is the way the guy operates and always HAS operated. Look at his background; Smart is a man solely focused on himself.

    His motives were ALWAYS clear and THAT is why people have flocked to this whole thing. Simply to watch Smart do what Smart does. Look back at the Alganon fiasco.

    Just because he coached his little vendetta (at least in the beginning) it fair criticisms of Star Citizen to gain traction does not invalidate those criticisms; but it also does not excuse his motives nor make them above critique themselves.

    If you want to debate the issues you have with CIG or Star Citizen do it in a new thread and simply leave Smart out of it. If a fanboy comes barging in talking about Smart ignore them and stay on point.

    I mean look at the original post in this chain. Take a good hard look. You are berating fans of the game for lambasting Smart while replying to someone who's argument is "LOL look at these dum-dums." You don't want to talk about Star Citizen's issues, you want to shit post. So don't come in here and pretend to be above shit posting in opposite.

    Now if you'll excuse me it is popcorn'o'clock because Mr. Smart is going ape-shit over on MassivelyOP's article on this.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,237
    Kefo said:
    Axllow18 said:
    I have thoroughly enjoyed watching all of this unfold. I have popped at least 20 bags of popcorn this month alone reading about Mr. Smart's glorious crusade.
    Just imagine how many bags you will be popping if DS turns out to be correct. The Internet will explode with the amount of rage from hurt SC fans or maybe since the net runs on hatred it will evolve into a self aware entity with the amount of power coursing through it ;)
    Entirely possible but then again this just may happen if the DS disciples are proved wrong as well!


    Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.





  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,220
    Here are some quotes from one of the founders of Funcom:

    Q: Why would anyone invest in a company that never made money, that doesn't have any hits?
    A: 1% of the games sold made 95% of the revenue. They understand that if you make World of Warcraft, you will be insanely rich. They were spending money ... so who cares about spending $5 million on a small business?

    Q: Why did you guys choose to develop...?
    A: That was not the question. The question was: which game can we get some slightly stupid publisher to fund us to make?

    Q: The way you tell the story, wealthy investors were perfectly happy to throw their money away. Was Funcom really such a bad investment?
    A: In the 15 years I was there, we never made any money; we always lost money. When you invest, let's say, $30 million dollars, investing another $1 million to launch the next game is a relatively small price to pay. The amount of money they were investing was just pocket change, at least to one of our investors.

    As you can see, the expectations from 'normal' investors were pretty low. They lose millions, on the off chance that they might strike it rich. For RSI to do something wrong with this type of (common)expectations, they would have to really try.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited September 2015
    Axllow18 said:
    coslie said:
    donger56 said:
    [mod edit]

    They don't want to hear that.  They just want to make it about Derek Smart.
    Actually Derek Smart wants to make it about Derek Smart.  Because no matter what it is, Derek Smart always wants to make it about Derek Smart.
    ^Pretty much this.

    Look I don't care if Star Citizen is the greatest success or the greatest failure of our time, I'm just happy that it and Elite: Dangerous proved to all the suits out there that space games can very much make you money. It's existence alone has helped to nudge the industry to get out of it's slump as of late.

    But let's make no bones about it; Derek Smart's grand crusade has always been about himself. That is the way the guy operates and always HAS operated. Look at his background; Smart is a man solely focused on himself.

    His motives were ALWAYS clear and THAT is why people have flocked to this whole thing. Simply to watch Smart do what Smart does. Look back at the Alganon fiasco.

    Just because he coached his little vendetta (at least in the beginning) it fair criticisms of Star Citizen to gain traction does not invalidate those criticisms; but it also does not excuse his motives nor make them above critique themselves.

    If you want to debate the issues you have with CIG or Star Citizen do it in a new thread and simply leave Smart out of it. If a fanboy comes barging in talking about Smart ignore them and stay on point.

    I mean look at the original post in this chain. Take a good hard look. You are berating fans of the game for lambasting Smart while replying to someone who's argument is "LOL look at these dum-dums." You don't want to talk about Star Citizen's issues, you want to shit post. So don't come in here and pretend to be above shit posting in opposite.

    Now if you'll excuse me it is popcorn'o'clock because Mr. Smart is going ape-shit over on MassivelyOP's article on this.

    The title of this thread is "FTC's investigation into Star Citizen."  If you want to debate issues with Derek Smart do it in a new thread and simply leave "FTC's investigation into Star Citizen" out of it.  If a fanboy comes barging in talking about CIG, Star Citizen, or the investigation ignore them and stay on point.

    See what I did there?

    I only brought up Derek Smart because once again, that is what this thread was devolving to ... another Derek Smart hate-fest.  If you Derek Smart obsessed haters stopped bringing him up in every thread dealing with this matter, we could finally begin having an honest discussion about the manner in which CIG is handling this whole fiasco.  You are not interested in doing that though.  You want to avoid the issue by muddying up the discussion with Smart's past history rather than deal directly with the issues at hand. 
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    edited September 2015
    Axllow18 said:
    <Snipped cuz science>

    The title of this thread is "FTC's investigation into Star Citizen."  If you want to debate issues with Derek Smart do it in a new thread and simply leave "FTC's investigation into Star Citizen" out of it.  If a fanboy comes barging in talking about CIG, Star Citizen, or the investigation ignore them and stay on point.

    See what I did there?
    Ah yes, and a simple scroll to the TOPIC would make it abundantly clear:

    "Derek Smart is sure owning Chris Roberts and Star Citizen:

    http://imgur.com/xAiNAar "

    So... Nice try on the ole dodge there my boy but you might notice that the TITLE of the thread /= the thread's TOPIC.

    [mod edit]

    EDIT: Just noticed your edit. Still missed the point. This thread is a thread to mock Mr. Smart and that is what people are doing.

    [mod edit]

    EDIT EDIT: And to be fair, I don't hate Mr. Smart; I freaking love the guy. His antics have been HOURS of entertainment for me over the years. I dare say he is my favorite internet lulcow; though Trump is rapidly moving into reach for his place in my heart.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    edited September 2015
    Axllow18 said:
    Axllow18 said:
    <Snipped cuz science>

    The title of this thread is "FTC's investigation into Star Citizen."  If you want to debate issues with Derek Smart do it in a new thread and simply leave "FTC's investigation into Star Citizen" out of it.  If a fanboy comes barging in talking about CIG, Star Citizen, or the investigation ignore them and stay on point.

    See what I did there?
    Ah yes, and a simple scroll to the TOPIC would make it abundantly clear:

    "Derek Smart is sure owning Chris Roberts and Star Citizen:

    http://imgur.com/xAiNAar "

    So... Nice try on the ole dodge there my boy but you might notice that the TITLE of the thread /= the thread's TOPIC.

    [mod edit]

    EDIT: Just noticed your edit. Still missed the point. This thread is a thread to mock Mr. Smart and that is what people are doing.

    [mod edit]

    EDIT EDIT: And to be fair, I don't hate Mr. Smart; I freaking love the guy. His antics have been HOURS of entertainment for me over the years. I dare say he is my favorite internet lulcow; though Trump is rapidly moving into reach for his place in my heart.
    Still...as smart as you think you are. Not one squirrel nut was cared about.
    Post edited by Vaross on

    "This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited September 2015
    Axllow18 said:
    Axllow18 said:
    <Snipped cuz science>

    The title of this thread is "FTC's investigation into Star Citizen."  If you want to debate issues with Derek Smart do it in a new thread and simply leave "FTC's investigation into Star Citizen" out of it.  If a fanboy comes barging in talking about CIG, Star Citizen, or the investigation ignore them and stay on point.

    See what I did there?
    Ah yes, and a simple scroll to the TOPIC would make it abundantly clear:

    "Derek Smart is sure owning Chris Roberts and Star Citizen:

    http://imgur.com/xAiNAar "

    So... Nice try on the ole dodge there my boy but you might notice that the TITLE of the thread /= the thread's TOPIC.

    Next time you try to be witty perhaps you might use some... er.. "wit".

    EDIT: Just noticed your edit. Still missed the point. This thread is a thread to mock Mr. Smart and that is what people are doing.

    Go home, you are drunk.

    EDIT EDIT: And to be fair, I don't hate Mr. Smart; I freaking love the guy. His antics have been HOURS of entertainment for me over the years. I dare say he is my favorite internet lulcow; though Trump is rapidly moving into reach for his place in my heart.
    So in other words, what your post amounts to is "since the OP's post is about mocking Derek Smart then let us Derek Smart obsessed haters mock him in peace."  You don't want a different opinion than yours.  You want to shut everyone up, in a public forum, and have your little fun.  Sorry to tell you "my boy" but it doesn't work that way in a public forum.  Take your own advice and if you want to have your own little private hate fest regarding Derek Smart, or any other subject for that matter, take it into a private forum where only people with your opinion and mind set will be able to view it and post in it.

    Go home and have a drink "my boy."  You need one.  
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Axllow18 said:
    Axllow18 said:
    <Snipped cuz science>

    The title of this thread is "FTC's investigation into Star Citizen."  If you want to debate issues with Derek Smart do it in a new thread and simply leave "FTC's investigation into Star Citizen" out of it.  If a fanboy comes barging in talking about CIG, Star Citizen, or the investigation ignore them and stay on point.

    See what I did there?
    Ah yes, and a simple scroll to the TOPIC would make it abundantly clear:

    "Derek Smart is sure owning Chris Roberts and Star Citizen:

    http://imgur.com/xAiNAar "

    So... Nice try on the ole dodge there my boy but you might notice that the TITLE of the thread /= the thread's TOPIC.

    Next time you try to be witty perhaps you might use some... er.. "wit".

    EDIT: Just noticed your edit. Still missed the point. This thread is a thread to mock Mr. Smart and that is what people are doing.

    Go home, you are drunk.

    EDIT EDIT: And to be fair, I don't hate Mr. Smart; I freaking love the guy. His antics have been HOURS of entertainment for me over the years. I dare say he is my favorite internet lulcow; though Trump is rapidly moving into reach for his place in my heart.
    So in other words, what you're post amounts to is "since the OP's post is about mocking Derek Smart then let us Derek Smart obsessed haters mock him in peace."  You don't want a different opinion than yours.  You want to shut everyone up, in a public forum, and have your little fun.  Sorry to tell you "my boy" but it doesn't work that way in a public forum.  Take your own advice, and if you want to have your own little private hate fest regarding any matter, take it into a private forum where only people with your opinion and mind set will be able to view it and post in it.

    Go home, and have a drink.  You need one.  
    Had one...or two....and still not one rat's arse given

    "This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

This discussion has been closed.