Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video card help

DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
I purchased a gtx 960 with 2gb gddr5. I was using a HD 7850. Will I see much of an improvement?

Comments

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Absolutely. Not much more to say, couple years of hardware difference there. The 7850 was also a lower-end model of the 7000 series. 960 the same, but much much newer. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Sure. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2015-vga-charts/06-Thief-1080p,3669.html That is in Thief with 1080p. You will get a far better FPS with it. 
    Absolutely. Not much more to say, couple years of hardware difference there. The 7850 was also a lower-end model of the 7000 series. 960 the same, but much much newer. 
    960 is the mid model, 950 is the low and 970 & 980 high (and Titan insane).
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    You'll see a big difference, although I would suggest springing for the 970 for the additional VRAM if you can afford it.  Especially if you plan on doing any multiple monitor gaming or installing heavy HD graphics mods onto, for instance, Skyrim or Witcher 3.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7850-vs-GeForce-GTX-960
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    H0urg1ass said:
    You'll see a big difference, although I would suggest springing for the 970 for the additional VRAM if you can afford it.  Especially if you plan on doing any multiple monitor gaming or installing heavy HD graphics mods onto, for instance, Skyrim or Witcher 3.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7850-vs-GeForce-GTX-960
    As prices stand right now, instead of the 970 you could get the  r9 390 for about the same (300-320$~) which is overall a better card for the price point as long as you dont care for one manufacturer over the other.

Though it seems like you already bought the 960, so if thats your price range its probably going to be fine and you will see a small boost, nothing major, but a boost none the less.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Will it be faster?  Yes.  Faster by enough to justify the upgrade?  I would say no.  I generally recommend against upgrading to anything less than double the performance of your previous GPU, and a GTX 960 isn't even close to that.  A Radeon R9 290/390 or GeForce GTX 970 would have been fast enough to justify the upgrade, in addition to having more video memory.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I purchased a gtx 960 with 2gb gddr5. I was using a HD 7850. Will I see much of an improvement?
    Might have been better to ask before buying.  Not much help they can provide atm.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Ok thks I cancelled it and ordered the 970 instead. I'm also going to upgrade my cpu. I'm using  an amd 6300 now and was thinking about changing to a  i7-4790. Is that a better cpu? I have another mb to swap.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Ok thks I cancelled it and ordered the 970 instead. I'm also going to upgrade my cpu. I'm using  an amd 6300 now and was thinking about changing to a  i7-4790. Is that a better cpu? I have another mb to swap.
    You can bet your wife's panties it is. What model of motherboard?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I have the gtx 670 which is older than 970 and runs any game out at highest setting without a problem. 970 on the other hand I bet will be great for 5 years, my 670 has been great for 3+ years already.
    I'm not sure what model the mb is atm
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited September 2015
    As has been said, go for r9 390, costs same as 970 but its overall better card, trailing 980 in some cases and in worst cases its same as 970.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_r9_390_pcs_8gb_review,13.html

CPU upgrade is questionable, especially for new(er) games and probably for dx12.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems/Quad-Core-Gaming-Roundup-How-Much-CPU-Do-You-Really-Need

970 is in between 290x and 770. Considering that games will only be more and more GPU bound, for near future reference looking at GTX770 paired with FX8350 vs GTX770 paired with i7 results is what you should expect to gain in new games.

Also mantle results are to be looked at as it would be somewhat dx12 preview.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, if your are gonna dump 150 into a cpu or more, go with a better graphics card. The only reason to get a better cpu is if you do more than gaming. Save it and buy a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125682 , if your heart is set on a cpu upgrade, again don't waste your money on a i7, get a i5. There is 0 difference in gaming between the 2. Unless of course you are gonna run 10 games at once, then you might see a difference. Let me put it to you this way, my friend has a worse cpu than you have, the 1090t amd, and i have a i5 3570, there is almost no difference in gaming fps, between the 2. 

To be honest though, unless you have a 4k monitor, none of these cards are worth the money. I have a 370, and there isn't much I cant play at 1080 60 fps. A 970, 980, or a 390, are made for 4k gaming. Once you get over 60fps, there is no difference, unless you have a high refresh rate monitor. Remember Computer gaming is not what most people are looking for when they make games, they make them for consoles, and my 370, i5 3570k is faster than any console. 
    I wanted a good cpu for gaming but also the fastest one i can afford for outside of gaming as well.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    If you're getting a new CPU, GPU, and motherboard, you might want to consider just getting a new computer entirely and keeping the old one intact.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Do you really need to buy a new CPU now? I'd recommend just purchasing the better graphic card if you need some extra speed, and seeing if you'd be fine with that upgrade.

You might also consider purchasing CPU cooler and trying to overclock your FX 6300 to get more speed. It's still good enough CPU that an upgrade is really expensive but gives only a little performance gain.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited September 2015
    I wanted a good cpu for gaming but also the fastest one i can afford for outside of gaming as well.
    Well, since you already have 6300 which is quite decent  outside of gaming, it largely depends for what you need it for. When outside of gaming, AMD CPUs are very competitive with Intel (price/performance is greatly on AMD side). FX 83xx is between i7 and i5 overall.

If you have 350+ bucks to spare (and maybe a mobo for that i7-k) sure, thats the fastest, check up on CPU tests and look at fx6300, fx8350 and i7-k and see if its worth the money.

but again there is some alternative like

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9494387&CatId=11857

which would gain you some performance in multithreaded applications. And you can OC it depending on the mobo/cooler you have, its full fledged FX83xx CPU. Another is, like already mentioned, OCing that 6300.

The bottom line is, of you have certain specific thing youll do extensively, look up the tests and decide is 350$ worth it.
    Post edited by Malabooga on