Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great MMO's cancelled before their time?

toomuch4212toomuch4212 Member UncommonPosts: 82
Since MMORPG is doing the top 35 MMOS of all time list, I thought it appropriate to see what games people may have thought were cancelled prematurely or before their time and full potential , but not totally forgotten. For me, I'd have to give rememberance to one of my first MMOs, Beyond Earth from EA. A space MMo with some pretty innovative features for its time (2002) But once eve online came out it (2003), it knocked it outta the park. So the game lasted less than 2 years(cancelled 2004, two days before its 2 year anniversary). I personally loved that game. The community did do an emulator and even expand on the game years later.

My other would be NCSOfts auto assualt. Playing it from launch to close I feel that it was just ahead of its time and not given much of a chance. Although it did add to the apocalyptic/ mad max vibe that the servers were almost always as barren as the zones. Fast-paced, large and fun (especially if you ever saw another real person lol) I gotta give it up to AUto Assault because that one really could of went somewhere it was just too ahead of its time. Now that's the kinda stuff people beg for. Innovation and something beyond the cookie cutter WoW clones.
Side note: (NCSOft also had an arena combat game with Gundam looking mechs around this time that I was in the beta for that was one of the best online arena games I ever played but I forget the name if anyone knows it and idk what happened to it). 

I I know there's a ton, I'm just wondering what people thought was cancelled prematurely and wasn given a chance because of lack of commercialization or lack of funding or just being a bit too ahead of its time etc. etc.
 And I know some greats did pop up so far in MMOs list of greatest, (shadowbane, which wasn't too short lived but somewhat was) but I'm wondering what people could call out and be like, "Oh ish I totally forgot about that one, that was great ...at the time".