Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Design Journal #6 - Character Customization and Bloodlines | Chronicles of Elyria | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    Sabbicat said:
    In past games it has always been about creating the perfect character and then seeing the same for the duration of the game. The concept of CoE where I can create my character and have him change as I play him is quite unique. The changes are not built on what armour or cloathing I have on eather but that I wactually change. What I cant wait to see as well is how my next generational character can take on some of my traits too.
    @Sabbicat: That's one of my favorite parts of Crusader Kings 2. You spend time training your kid, preparing him and then you pass away and get to play the next generation. I always find it interesting when siblings I've married off end up being dukes, etc... of neighboring duchies so I can form alliances with them. It's also always really cool looking back at my lineage and seeing all the people I played before my current character.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • 8bitgamer8bitgamer Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I was talking with the misses last night and she brought up an amazing point. We never really connect with our characters, the main reason. We spend hours perfecting character creation making the character custom, exactly how we want it. Then we start spending hours upon hours playing the game, and what do we see? The back of the head. I think guild wars had a decent approach showing your character in cut scenes but I'd love to see how you will be handling this task to really build that attachment, not necessarily to the character but to it's soul.
  • SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    8bitgamer said:
    I was talking with the misses last night and she brought up an amazing point. We never really connect with our characters, the main reason. We spend hours perfecting character creation making the character custom, exactly how we want it. Then we start spending hours upon hours playing the game, and what do we see? The back of the head. I think guild wars had a decent approach showing your character in cut scenes but I'd love to see how you will be handling this task to really build that attachment, not necessarily to the character but to it's soul.
    Yes Guild Wars and Star Wars The Old Republic give you a chance to interact with your character in cut scenes. What I have to get my head around is that I wont be playing the same character for years like other games by I will be playing there defendants. I have ready novel series like that. Where you start with one character in the first novel and then see a descendent in the next. This will be a real departure for me in MMOs.
  • VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited September 2015
    8bitgamer said:
    I think guild wars had a decent approach showing your character in cut scenes but I'd love to see how you will be handling this task to really build that attachment, not necessarily to the character but to it's soul.
    This is something I hadn't thought about much. From what I understand the way the story works in the game will mean your character has their own story elements alongside the main world story. I hope that with it being tailored to the character and the way you interact with the world it will provide some of that attachment.

However, I do think it will be a mix of story and visuals in the end. We are obviously going to have to talk to NPCs in the game which is an opertunity to show us our character more. Conversations could go down the Guild Wars 2 route of having the two characters on screen with just a backdrop and the text. I do not think it will be fully voiced, however that sort of set up will make the text clear and easy to read and give us a chance to see ourselves.

Oh and thank you Jeromy for the kind words about the Elyria Echo. I will send the bribery cookies to the normal address!

Edit: Just trying to make my text less smushed!
    Author of the Elyria Echo. Follow us here @ElyriaEcho.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited September 2015
    lol, that guy from the Character Creation is def this dude:
    edited September 2015
    @VictoriaRachel We definitely want conversation with NPCs, and ideally other players, to be more engaging. Because we're stressing close-proximity, rather than remote communication, giving people an opportunity to see through disguises, etc... we really want to make sure that the experience is as rich and deep as the rest of the system we're working on.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Halvet said:
    These are really cool details. Honestly, in my imagination, this is easily the best MMORPG ever designed!
    Glad you like it! Each Monday after the design journal is released we run a live chat on IRC. Next week you should come and ask questions. See this thread for information on how to join IRC. There's generally half a dozen people in there at all times.

CoE Live Chat Thread
    Your design is quite complex.  While you might be brilliant enough to pull it off, caution says you might want to keep to some basic concepts at first and ramp up from there.  Been on far too many projects that looked great at conception and became nightmares at implementation.  Promising a game that entails such complexity will just lead to disappointment when all the game mechanisms have issues meshing in the end. 

@Ozmodan Hey there! Thanks for your advice. In truth, the beautify of the design is its simplicity and how everything fits together. I've been fortunate to spend nearly 15 years in the game industry, and half that outside. During that time I've realized that, in the interest of perceived performance issues and conventional wisdom, many of the technologies and design patterns used outside games hasn't really been adopted within.

As a result, development times in games tends to be significantly longer than in more traditional software industries. This lack of structured design and older technologies also results in complex code and limited features due to the time spend debugging and iterating.

So far my team has been able to use the right technologies in the right places in order to simplify design and expedite implementation. As a result, we're making great progress and continue to move forward in spite of any trepidation people may have.

Jeromy Walsh, 
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • CamigwenCamigwen Member UncommonPosts: 3
    @VictoriaRachel We definitely want conversation with NPCs, and ideally other players, to be more engaging. Because we're stressing close-proximity, rather than remote communication, giving people an opportunity to see through disguises, etc... we really want to make sure that the experience is as rich and deep as the rest of the system we're working on.
    I think it would be really neat if this meant your character turned to the side to talk to NPCs so that you saw each of their profiles, rather than continuing to see the back of your characters' head. That would increase my connection with the character, as @8bitgamer said.
  • TekaichiTekaichi Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Camigwen said:
    I think it would be really neat if this meant your character turned to the side to talk to NPCs so that you saw each of their profiles, rather than continuing to see the back of your characters' head. That would increase my connection with the character, as @8bitgamer said.
    That would be more than awesome. A feature that I believe that you people can and if possible do it :D
  • inerv01inerv01 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Tekaichi said:
    Camigwen said:
    That would be more than awesome. A feature that I believe that you people can and if possible do it :D
    What would be even better, (and no other MMOn that "I have played" has done) If they had an integrated voice chat system that only worked with proximity. Meaning i could only hear someone speak if they were close enough to me. BTW if you sign up on: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/ use my code referral code: A5F136 Thanks!

• TekaichiTekaichi Member UncommonPosts: 21
    inerv01 said:
    Tekaichi said:
    Camigwen said:
    What would be even better, (and no other MMOn that "I have played" has done) If they had an integrated voice chat system that only worked with proximity. Meaning i could only hear someone speak if they were close enough to me. BTW if you sign up on: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/ use my code referral code: A5F136 Thanks!
    I already follow the game since Dj #1 , and there was discussion regarding "voice chat" myself talked in IRC about that, but it would overload the server, and some lag could exist. 
  • VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited September 2015
    inerv01 said:
    What would be even better, (and no other MMOn that "I have played" has done) If they had an integrated voice chat system that only worked with proximity. Meaning i could only hear someone speak if they were close enough to me.
    The console version of Elder Scrolls Online has this and I think it has mixed reviews (however, I believe it completely replaces text based chat so communication with larger numbers of people was tricky). Personally I would not be a fan as I value immersion in a game like this and do not want to hear other peoples music/family life etc.

I also wonder how it would work with a game that has mystery and intrigue. Chronicles of Elyria has disguises, and you and your character are separate so you can hide your characters true identity (from anyone not in your family) leading to all sorts of shenanigans. I think voice chat would limit that.
    Author of the Elyria Echo. Follow us here @ElyriaEcho.
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    edited September 2015
    For that reason, players are given one re-roll to use during character customization. Rerolling your attributes takes another random sample from the parents in order to create a second set of constraints. Like it or not, if you re-roll, you're stuck with the second set of values.
    While this and the other stuff sounds cool on paper, it won't be that way for most players imho. People will start character creation again and again, until the best attributes for their chosen class/playstyle will appear. Even if it's possible to alter everything after creation, many people don't want to start with a (in their eyes) gimped character. I like the idea and I think some people will use it this way, but imo most mmorpg players nowadays are min-maxers and skip to max level players. They aren't pleased until the best combination will appear on the screen.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    For that reason, players are given one re-roll to use during character customization. Rerolling your attributes takes another random sample from the parents in order to create a second set of constraints. Like it or not, if you re-roll, you're stuck with the second set of values.
    While this and the other stuff sounds cool on paper, it won't be that way for most players imho. People will start character creation again and again, until the best attributes for their chosen class/playstyle will appear. Even if it's possible to alter everything after creation, many people don't want to start with a (in their eyes) gimped character. I like the idea and I think some people will use it this way, but imo most mmorpg players nowadays are min-maxers and skip to max level players. They aren't pleased until the best combination will appear on the screen.
    thats why they get a single reroll, but the genetic system sets parameters since you will be a part of a family you will look similar to your siblings and parents regardless.
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Zultra said:
    thats why they get a single reroll, but the genetic system sets parameters since you will be a part of a family you will look similar to your siblings and parents regardless.
    This would either imply, that you can't abort the character creation and start a new one, or that they would save the parameters und you will always get the same, no matter how often you start the character creation from scratch again.

Then again, what happens if you just make a new character and delete the old one, if the stats during creation don't fit your expectations.
    They could say that every new character is in the same family and gets the same parameters, but then what happens if I delete all my characters and want to start a new family.

As said, the idea is great, but I doubt, that many will live with the first decision as long as its not "perfect" and find ways to bypass this system.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• evyatarevyatar Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I read the re-roll mechanic as for your physical appearance only. You may get a mutation in that appearance and can re-roll if you do not like how that looks. Your most suited occupation is based on your parents, attributes on your race and skills on the region you are born into. uf you do not mind whose family you are joining you can spend a lot of time filtering in family selection to get these aspects to meet your character needs. It is just the re-roll function will have no effect on them, and each time you try to join the same family those aspects will remain constant.
  • RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited September 2015
    This would either imply, that you can't abort the character creation and start a new one, or that they would save the parameters und you will always get the same, no matter how often you start the character creation from scratch again.

Then again, what happens if you just make a new character and delete the old one, if the stats during creation don't fit your expectations.
    They could say that every new character is in the same family and gets the same parameters, but then what happens if I delete all my characters and want to start a new family.

As said, the idea is great, but I doubt, that many will live with the first decision as long as its not "perfect" and find ways to bypass this system.
    I asked one of the Devs about this. It seems that you can't actually delete a character. And if you could it would be like you perma-kill it, which means that you have to buy a new spark of life. I don't think that you would like to pay for each try to get the perfect character.
    Also, I guess you can abort the character creation and start a new one, but if you choose the same family you will end having a very similar looking character, because remember that your appearance will be limited to your parents. Of course you could choose a different family where you can get the look you want.
  • RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I like the idea and I think some people will use it this way, but imo most mmorpg players nowadays are min-maxers and skip to max level players. They aren't pleased until the best combination will appear on the screen.
    There are no levels in this game, so you can't max level your character! Nor choose the perfect combination to start your character. It will grow and develop depending on the decisions you take, which skills to train or not, etc. There are so many things to do in this game that it would be impossible to get the best character in everything.