Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you expect to play an online game in the next 10 years using VR hardware (head mounted display)?

12346»

Comments

• UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81

laserit said:
    I already have: iRacing and DCS world

I've been playing around with these things for almost 3 years now. I've come to the conclusion that really I love using them with Driving, Flying and Racing sims and don't really care for too much else yet. I thought FPS's would be killer but I found I like them better the traditional way. 

I can't stand wearing the things for too long. 15-20 minutes bursts seems about the best. It just gives me a headache having the thing on for too long. Resolution still has to improve as well. They're pretty cool but still have a ways to go yet.   

What glasses are you using?
  • nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Can't see myself buying into this anymore than I buy into the 3D movie gimmick.

It's nice but unless some seriously genius developers start working with it (and I mean way better than what we've got making our games now), I can't really see how it won't just be a gimmick.

I'd love to have more immersion in my gaming, but they aren't offering immersive experiences now.  What makes us think that a headset is going to be anything more than more sensory input of the same non-immersive experiences?

You've got to give me something that makes me wish I had VR before I'll start thinking about getting VR.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,612
    It is now turning out that women who carry their cell phones in their bra or bikini tops are getting breast cancer clusters right where the cell phone lays against the breast.  Good luck with your VR brain tumors.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    psiic said:
    It is now turning out that women who carry their cell phones in their bra or bikini tops are getting breast cancer clusters right where the cell phone lays against the breast.  Good luck with your VR brain tumors.
    OK you are going to have to provide a citation for that one. AND it better be a peer reviewed article or I am going to call BS.
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    edited September 2015
    No it's a gimmick to me.  If you need virtual reality to make your game immersive it wasn't that good to begin with.  I get some people do and will like them but I find them more of an annoyance really.  Part of the problem from my point of view is every two bit dev that uses the gimmick makes the VR the selling point and corner stone of the game.  Not the game and game play itself...Yawn

EDIT then again I find headsets annoying fairly quickly so there's that.  Headsets have gotten lighter and more un-obtrusive over the years and I still can't stand em for long.  Don't see that changing for some jeewis look at me flashy shiney with crap game play.
    Post edited by BMBender on

• redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 91
    YES i will...i have nvidia 3d kit at home and the games look GORGEOUS!!! never compare games with movies..its mixing apples and oranges... the only problem are 2d elements. they are at the screen depth and when you have to change your focus from the 3d to 2d its really annoying after a while. but otherwise games are a BLAST in 3d!!!
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    UgUgUg said:
    Bottom line VR will happen like tablets happened, like smartphones happened, like 4k ultra high def 60 inch widescreen is happening, like 3D happened. The problem with 3D is it was never worth the costs because of its limits. It can look really good but not at the premium price asked for buying the movies and it was never supported well enough at home. But people still want a more immersive experience and thats where the VR headsets come in but they must be cheap enough and comfortable. Back in 1997 I was very impressed by the very limited Descent 3D on a heavy VR headset but technology was not evolved enough. After what I read in reviews 18 years on from before Im sure some people on here were born VR should be coming of age. I look forward to laughing at everyone that argues it isnt just like the last time when I was right about tablets.
    None of those other devices mentioned hindered people's bodies as VR does.  Would you use a smart phone that came only in a glove that disabled your right or left hand?  How about a tablet that you HAD to sit down and use a special lap receptor for that hindered your legs?

VR has happened.  The popularity and reception of it is another story.

VG

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,157
    UgUgUg said:

laserit said:
    I already have: iRacing and DCS world

I've been playing around with these things for almost 3 years now. I've come to the conclusion that really I love using them with Driving, Flying and Racing sims and don't really care for too much else yet. I thought FPS's would be killer but I found I like them better the traditional way. 

I can't stand wearing the things for too long. 15-20 minutes bursts seems about the best. It just gives me a headache having the thing on for too long. Resolution still has to improve as well. They're pretty cool but still have a ways to go yet.   

What glasses are you using?
    Oculus Rift: Originally the DK1 and now the DK2.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Final fantasy 14 in vr according to the news this week. So possibly if that actually happens. 
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,612
    psiic said:
    OK you are going to have to provide a citation for that one. AND it better be a peer reviewed article or I am going to call BS.
    http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/why-you-should-keep-your-cell-phone-out-your-bra
  • DrisdaneDrisdane Member UncommonPosts: 97
    I am ready for the Sword Art Online era of gaming. A typical headset display, not so much, but if they can incorporate the senses into it 20 years down the road, I'd be on board 100%
  • AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,160
    Personally I don't care, current visual VR technology does me no good, much like the 3D craziness some years back I hope it dies back down.  Reason being, I can't see stereo.

Now as for some neural based VR, pretty sure that isn't something I'll see in my lifetime.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,980
    edited September 2015
    I doubt 10 years will be enough to make those "3D helmets" ideal and common.

I'm guessing that it takes around 5 years to make a decent MMO. I doubt any developer will risk designing and marketing a game designed for 3D-wear. It's just too soon ;/

My buddy purchased one of those Rift helmets. Not only could he barely move due to all the cords and bs hooked up to him, but the motion sickness (major complaint from most) prevented people from playing more than 10 minutes.
  • MystaMysta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    edited September 2015
    Dauzqul said:
    I doubt 10 years will be enough to make those "3D helmets" ideal and common.

I'm guessing that it takes around 5 years to make a decent MMO. I doubt any developer will risk designing and marketing a game designed for 3D-wear. It's just too soon ;/

My buddy purchased one of those Rift helmets. Not only could he barely move due to all the cords and bs hooked up to him, but the motion sickness (major complaint from most) prevented people from playing more than 10 minutes.
    Eh, but it's not that hard to make a game 3D compatible. Also the consumer versions of Rift/Vive don't have all those cables/weight.

Also, lol at the people citing Dr Oz as a scientific source.
    Post edited by Mysta on
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 873
    edited September 2015
    I'm just gonna leave this here...

"Preps popcorn" ^not gonna lie the commentary is annoying af though
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Loktofeit said:
    A lot of people think this is going to be a very cool gadget but once you actually used one of these you realize it has some severe drawbacks.

If VR gear is anything like any other consumer electronic device (ex: CD player, VCR, 3D printer) then 10 years from now it will be a fraction of its current price and size. If the 2025 VR hardware looks anything like a 2015 Oculus Rift it will be because somewhere in the next two years the economy collapsed or some other apocalyptic event has happened that brought the world and technology to its knees. At that point, an uncomfortable VR headset will be the last of any of our concerns. :) 

VR exists since the 80's. That is 25 years and it still looks the same. In that time it has not changed at all to make it more comfortable, reduce motion sickness or make it viable to wear over longer periods.

It's a gimmick and will always be a gimmick. Unless they change the technology from display based to projection onto your retina i don't see them getting smaller or more practical.

It's a technology that like so many other things comes back again after 25 years because the new generation has not experienced it yet and it will also disappear again just like it did last time.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬