Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you expect to play an online game in the next 10 years using VR hardware (head mounted display)?

Comments

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    I expect this within the next 2-4 years and within 10 years I'd like to be hearing of even deeper immersion systems coming.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I think the technology will have matured by then.  I just hope they have kinks worked out to where they can eliminate the motion sickness and whatnot.

With that said, I doubt I'm going to sit around with a contraption on my face for prolonged periods of time.  Already bad enough my ears get uncomfortable with having a headset on for a few hours at a time, I doubt I'd want something strapped to my face for that long.  

Hopefully game developers will continue to make games for conventional machines (PCs/consoles) that won't be exclusive to VR technology.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Nope, can't afford what will be the system requirements besides the VR equipment.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I already have: iRacing and DCS world

I've been playing around with these things for almost 3 years now. I've come to the conclusion that really I love using them with Driving, Flying and Racing sims and don't really care for too much else yet. I thought FPS's would be killer but I found I like them better the traditional way. 

I can't stand wearing the things for too long. 15-20 minutes bursts seems about the best. It just gives me a headache having the thing on for too long. Resolution still has to improve as well. They're pretty cool but still have a ways to go yet.   

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Cost. Most games probably wont force you to use a VR hardware. It will all come down to cost.
    For those of us on a budget, this would be my main issue. It's not even a complaint, just a fact. I have only so many $$$ to spend on gaming so this most likely leaves out VR. And I don't feel like I would be missing some life changing event, although obviously there are those here that feel differently. Now, a holodeck :: get one of THOSE online & I will be the first in line B)
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Loktofeit said:
    psiic said:
    What we really need is someone to make a damn holo deck.

The first major attempt at that is coming and it's called The Void
    Ummm video is just a VR helment in an empty room, same crap I wont use. I mean a holographic projector you set in a room and it projects an visual overlay or rerender.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Nailzzz said:
     I like to be able to see my drink, rather than spill it on my keyboard. For this reason alone, VR headsets of any kind are right out.
    Get a cup holder.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Absolutely not. I don't care about it and don't require it. Additionally it looks ridiculous.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Absolutely not. I don't care about it and don't require it. Additionally it looks ridiculous.
    That's what my wife said ;)

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    edited September 2015
    Lyrian said:
    I expect this within the next 2-4 years and within 10 years I'd like to be hearing of even deeper immersion systems coming.
    You can have your olfactory interface if you like, Lyrian.  Just remember me and this conversation when you walk downwind of an ogre. :)

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    Your wife is very, very wise. You should marry her all over again.

Additionally, as someone else mentioned, it's preferable to be aware of one's surroundings. I don't even like wearing headphones at my computer.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    You know, I said no but then I thought about the question some more. A wearable set like the occulus rift? Nope, nope and nope. Something like hololens though? Oh yeah.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    The level of immersion you can receive from VR goes far beyond what you can get otherwise. I can't see it completely replacing non-VR devices because it isn't always convenient or available. But I do see future MMOs being designed with VR in mind. Which means changes to the way GUI works, less camera controlling cut scenes, and things of that nature.
  • UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    edited September 2015
    Bottom line VR will happen like tablets happened, like smartphones happened, like 4k ultra high def 60 inch widescreen is happening, like 3D happened. The problem with 3D is it was never worth the costs because of its limits. It can look really good but not at the premium price asked for buying the movies and it was never supported well enough at home. But people still want a more immersive experience and thats where the VR headsets come in but they must be cheap enough and comfortable. Back in 1997 I was very impressed by the very limited Descent 3D on a heavy VR headset but technology was not evolved enough. After what I read in reviews 18 years on from before Im sure some people on here were born VR should be coming of age. I look forward to laughing at everyone that argues it isnt just like the last time when I was right about tablets.
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    Your wife is very, very wise. You should marry her all over again.

Additionally, as someone else mentioned, it's preferable to be aware of one's surroundings. I don't even like wearing headphones at my computer.
    Like when you are sleeping?

laserit said:

I've been playing around with these things for almost 3 years now. I've come to the conclusion that really I love using them with Driving, Flying and Racing sims and don't really care for too much else yet. I thought FPS's would be killer but I found I like them better the traditional way. 

I can't stand wearing the things for too long. 15-20 minutes bursts seems about the best. It just gives me a headache having the thing on for too long. Resolution still has to improve as well. They're pretty cool but still have a ways to go yet.   

What glasses are you using?
  • nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 866
    Can't see myself buying into this anymore than I buy into the 3D movie gimmick.

It's nice but unless some seriously genius developers start working with it (and I mean way better than what we've got making our games now), I can't really see how it won't just be a gimmick.

I'd love to have more immersion in my gaming, but they aren't offering immersive experiences now.  What makes us think that a headset is going to be anything more than more sensory input of the same non-immersive experiences?

You've got to give me something that makes me wish I had VR before I'll start thinking about getting VR.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

It is now turning out that women who carry their cell phones in their bra or bikini tops are getting breast cancer clusters right where the cell phone lays against the breast.  Good luck with your VR brain tumors.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    psiic said:
    It is now turning out that women who carry their cell phones in their bra or bikini tops are getting breast cancer clusters right where the cell phone lays against the breast.  Good luck with your VR brain tumors.
    OK you are going to have to provide a citation for that one. AND it better be a peer reviewed article or I am going to call BS.
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    edited September 2015
    No it's a gimmick to me.  If you need virtual reality to make your game immersive it wasn't that good to begin with.  I get some people do and will like them but I find them more of an annoyance really.  Part of the problem from my point of view is every two bit dev that uses the gimmick makes the VR the selling point and corner stone of the game.  Not the game and game play itself...Yawn

EDIT then again I find headsets annoying fairly quickly so there's that.  Headsets have gotten lighter and more un-obtrusive over the years and I still can't stand em for long.  Don't see that changing for some jeewis look at me flashy shiney with crap game play.
    Post edited by BMBender on

• redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 108
    YES i will...i have nvidia 3d kit at home and the games look GORGEOUS!!! never compare games with movies..its mixing apples and oranges... the only problem are 2d elements. they are at the screen depth and when you have to change your focus from the 3d to 2d its really annoying after a while. but otherwise games are a BLAST in 3d!!!
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    UgUgUg said:
    Bottom line VR will happen like tablets happened, like smartphones happened, like 4k ultra high def 60 inch widescreen is happening, like 3D happened. The problem with 3D is it was never worth the costs because of its limits. It can look really good but not at the premium price asked for buying the movies and it was never supported well enough at home. But people still want a more immersive experience and thats where the VR headsets come in but they must be cheap enough and comfortable. Back in 1997 I was very impressed by the very limited Descent 3D on a heavy VR headset but technology was not evolved enough. After what I read in reviews 18 years on from before Im sure some people on here were born VR should be coming of age. I look forward to laughing at everyone that argues it isnt just like the last time when I was right about tablets.
    None of those other devices mentioned hindered people's bodies as VR does.  Would you use a smart phone that came only in a glove that disabled your right or left hand?  How about a tablet that you HAD to sit down and use a special lap receptor for that hindered your legs?

VR has happened.  The popularity and reception of it is another story.

VG

UgUgUg said:

laserit said:

What glasses are you using?
    Oculus Rift: Originally the DK1 and now the DK2.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Final fantasy 14 in vr according to the news this week. So possibly if that actually happens. 
    psiic said:
    OK you are going to have to provide a citation for that one. AND it better be a peer reviewed article or I am going to call BS.
    http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/why-you-should-keep-your-cell-phone-out-your-bra