Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you expect to play an online game in the next 10 years using VR hardware (head mounted display)?

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Looking forward to trying it out. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Hi Brabbitt

Well what makes me think this is the fact that there are physiologic aspects to using this type of equipment to play games.    I am one of those ancient gamers of course and If I take from your nickname that you were born 1987, that would make you the same age as my son.

I think VR would be less effective the older you get, ( 40, 50, 60 ) because I have experienced it myself.  Your body is less able to tolerate this as years go on.   There is a reason we prefer to send younger people to space.  It stresses your senses and your body.  And some people just aren't suited for it no matter what the age.   I had a friend who just could not play shooter games because he got a sort of vertigo from them.  I had no idea then but I do know, now that I am 10 years older.

So point of fact, if you think these games are cool now, then go crazy.  Chances are they will become less appealing , depending on the type of game, as time goes on.

So for people < 35, VR is probably the cats ass.  Over that and it may becomes less appealing fast, as evidenced by the response to this poll, I might add. It seems to support a minority in overall favor for VR.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    What we really need is someone to make a damn holo deck.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    psiic said:
    This
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Something you need to remember, it may not always remain a niche. Gaming in general used to be a niche and so did MMOs. Look at them now.

I take nothing positive from this.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    XAPKen said:
    Dullahan said:
    VR is supported now in most major engines. Even Unity 5 already has VR camera support. The cost may prevent games from being designed completely around these headsets, but there will be plenty of games in the next 3-5 years that will at least support VR.

Any idea on how they will handle UI for things like chat?

I've been prototyping, and I keep coming up that with the headset on, keyboard is unlikely to be useful.

In my design, it's trackball left hand and mouse right hand.  A S D W are replaced with ball moves (could be joystick too).

Right hand is body facing with mouse (RMB down for body facing) and normal HUD when RMB is up.

Typing text, like chat is done with a fly-in virtual keyboard on screen that works like a tablet's virtual keyboard.  When typing isn't needed, it flies off.

note: head angle for look around would be head tracker, if present.  If not, it's like the FPS games where there is no neck, and you turn body to look around.

What I don't have figured out is hotkeys for skills and and spells.  Player needs to move, change facing and hotkey skills, but I'm out of hands and buttons.  If hotkeys become virtual, then one cannot change facing while in mouse cursor mode.

It's a reverse of the problem with portables.  In a portable, you can't see the screen for the virtual keyboard and fingers in the way.  In an HMD, you can't see the keyboard or fingers because the screen is in the way.

Maybe a console like controller with a gazzilion buttons ???
    If your going to do VR you don't shoehorn 2D interfaces into a VR experience.

Chat panel? Why? - It's 2D window that enables a user to operate a keyboard for communication. That seems a little out of place when your talking about displacing the physical world so you can get immersed in a virtual one.

This is why VR wont shine anytime soon: developers have to start thinking outside of the box for solutions specific for VR, which wont happen of course because designing for a niche piece of hardware is not productive on a software development level or a financial one.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,881
    edited September 2015
    As usual, I am shocked by the lack of knowledge of some people on this subject.

• No, it will not damage your eyes, no screen does no matter how close it is to your eyes. Screens can cause eye strain if you stare at them for too long without resting now and then. Eye strain however, is temporary. Just take breaks now and then and VR wouldn't be any worse than any other monitor
    False.

In some parts of Asia up to 90% of schoolchildren are nearsighted due to spending too much time looking at books and/or eyes not getting enough sunlight while they develop.
    • The headset is not so heavy to cause neck problems. It's a non issue.
    False.

Not enough exercise and too long time stationary is already causing neck problems. Any extra weight added to the neck in this situation will cause more neck problems.

Headset isn't so heavy that it would need to cause neck problems to everyone, but it's definitely heavy enough that it can and will affect people who are already misusing their necks.

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    People seem to think VR is ok for everybody.  Its not.  The older you get the less likely you will be able to use it.

In a fast action game I would definitely not be using it and I bet the percentage of people that would, would be 25 % or less. 

If it were just about walking around and enjoying the scenery then, yeah, it might be tolerable for awhile.

But VR is not a universal gaming adjunct.  There are many who either can't use it or do not wish to for various reasons.

Its niche, like OWPVP.
    I do need to ask ... exactly what makes you think this? How old are you even talking about?
    Also ... a fast action game wouldn't work well on VR, at least not like what exists today. Ever play paintball? I think it would be closer to that.

Something you need to remember, it may not always remain a niche. Gaming in general used to be a niche and so did MMOs. Look at them now.

It all depends on how well it works and whether or not it offers a compelling enough experience to warrant any negatives it may have. Personally, I think the only legitimate threatening negative is motion sickness. However, that has been solved for most people anyway, and it's still getting better for those who do get motion sick.

People who talk about having to wear a headset as being the factor to stop them, I think they are underestimating the experience it gives you.
    If VR becomes "required hardware", I'll be leaving video gaming forever.  Luckily, I do not think I will ever have to worry about that.

VG

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    psiic said:

The first major attempt at that is coming and it's called The Void

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    A lot of people think this is going to be a very cool gadget but once you actually used one of these you realize it has some severe drawbacks.

Don't get me wrong. Games made with real support are going to be amazing and a real different experience but there are a few issues with this technology.

1. Game and nothing else.
    Unless you are very good at blind typing you can't do anything else while wearing the headset. Alt-tab to your email real quick to reply? Check a website for some info about the mission you are stuck in? Someone calls you on skype and you need your microphone and headphones? All these will make you take off the headset.

Unless the headset also supports a desktop mode driver for windows you have to take it off anyway to even see the desktop. (occulus has something like that but it has issues still)

If you are used to a multi monitor setup you will need to switch that off as all currently available headsets can not handle extended desktops.

2. Very uncomfortable over an extended period.
    I have only tested 2 of them but they are all very uncomfortable over a longer period of time. Taking them off every hour was a must for me. It's very stressful for your eyes and neck. Results may vary.

3. Disorienting and the glasses problem
    While playing the experience is great but as soon as you get to static screens or the desktop it feels like someone kicked you in the head. Your brain needs to adjust. This can be very discomforting.

People with glasses will have issues. There is not one for all solution and a lot of them will not be able to enjoy the headsets even with contact lenses.

I doubt this will ever become mainstream and it will, just like last time, be a hype and "cool thing" for a couple of years and then die due to the much more flexible monitor solution that also have a lot higher resolutions.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Sure, but I am expecting the first game to be pretty crappy. A bit like "Dragons lair" that experimented with graphics and forgot to add gameplay due to it.

And god help us with the asian VR games, they will put 25% of the games resources on boob mechanics.

But I think as soon as someone realizes the potential and gets funding for it we will get a few good games, hopefully MMOs as well and not just FPS games that tend to get most of the high end technology first.
  • MusicTechGeekMusicTechGeek Member UncommonPosts: 12
    No desire for VR.  To me its just like 3D TV was going to be the "big" thing...it's all but dead now.  Unless EVERY game allows use for a VR headset, I think it's a ridiculous and unnecessary expense.
  • Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Hi Brabbitt

Well what makes me think this is the fact that there are physiologic aspects to using this type of equipment to play games.    I am one of those ancient gamers of course and If I take from your nickname that you were born 1987, that would make you the same age as my son.

I think VR would be less effective the older you get, ( 40, 50, 60 ) because I have experienced it myself.  Your body is less able to tolerate this as years go on.   There is a reason we prefer to send younger people to space.  It stresses your senses and your body.  And some people just aren't suited for it no matter what the age.   I had a friend who just could not play shooter games because he got a sort of vertigo from them.  I had no idea then but I do know, now that I am 10 years older.

So point of fact, if you think these games are cool now, then go crazy.  Chances are they will become less appealing , depending on the type of game, as time goes on.

So for people < 35, VR is probably the cats ass.  Over that and it may becomes less appealing fast, as evidenced by the response to this poll, I might add. It seems to support a minority in overall favor for VR.
    I see, but just remember, this doesn't pertain to everyone. Nor do you know the actual percentages or any concrete numbers for age range and such. It's likely not even that big of a concern. At least, I wouldn't think it is.

Vrika said:
    False.

In some parts of Asia up to 90% of schoolchildren are nearsighted due to spending too much time looking at books and/or eyes not getting enough sunlight while they develop.
    It's due to specifically not getting enough sunlight and what is causing them not to get enough sun light is due to spending to much time looking in books and staying in doors. It has nothing to do with actually looking at books or screens. All you have to do is read a few scientific studies on this, and you soon find out there is actually no proof screens or anything too close to your face causes permanent damage. It's actually a very common misconception. The original idea that it harms eyes is due to children staring to close to screens end up having bad eyes. However, the reason they are so close to the screen to begin with is because they have bad eyes.

Vrika said:
    False.

Not enough exercise and too long time stationary is already causing neck problems. Any extra weight added to the neck in this situation will cause more neck problems.

Headset isn't so heavy that it would need to cause neck problems to everyone, but it's definitely heavy enough that it can and will affect people who are already misusing their necks.
    That isn't really an issue with the headset ... that is an issue with people not taking care of themselves appropriately.

If VR becomes "required hardware", I'll be leaving video gaming forever.  Luckily, I do not think I will ever have to worry about that.
    I doubt it would ever become required by all games. I do expect some games to be made specifically for VR though. It's inevitable.

I don't think VR will be for everyone. There will certainly be people who exist that may not like it for several reasons. I doubt it's going to be the same reasons that exist today though.
  • Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

1. Game and nothing else.
    Unless you are very good at blind typing you can't do anything else while wearing the headset. Alt-tab to your email real quick to reply? Check a website for some info about the mission you are stuck in? Someone calls you on skype and you need your microphone and headphones? All these will make you take off the headset.

Unless the headset also supports a desktop mode driver for windows you have to take it off anyway to even see the desktop. (occulus has something like that but it has issues still)

If you are used to a multi monitor setup you will need to switch that off as all currently available headsets can not handle extended desktops.

Why would you want to do anything else if you are playing a VR game? I would assume you would be rather focused on the game. But I do suppose a lot of people like to multi-task. I never understood it, so my view is a little biased here. I don't get why you would want to do something at the same time as playing a game unless it has lots of down time.

2. Very uncomfortable over an extended period.
    I have only tested 2 of them but they are all very uncomfortable over a longer period of time. Taking them off every hour was a must for me. It's very stressful for your eyes and neck. Results may vary.

Likely to be solved as time goes on. So I really wouldn't consider that a major problem. It's also going to vary among those who use it. Which you essentially said yourself already.

3. Disorienting and the glasses problem
    While playing the experience is great but as soon as you get to static screens or the desktop it feels like someone kicked you in the head. Your brain needs to adjust. This can be very discomforting.

People with glasses will have issues. There is not one for all solution and a lot of them will not be able to enjoy the headsets even with contact lenses.

Another temporary problem. This is something that can be figured out as time goes on. Developers are so used to making games a particular way, that it's going to take some time to figure out what you should and shouldn't do while developing a game for VR.

As for glasses, I doubt that is going to cause too many problems. Simply take them off, or wear them if the headset works with them.

I doubt this will ever become mainstream and it will, just like last time, be a hype and "cool thing" for a couple of years and then die due to the much more flexible monitor solution that also have a lot higher resolutions.
    It going "mainstream" is debatable. What is even mainstream anyway?

As for it only lasting a few years? I don't see that happening. I can't even see why that would happen. Monitors specs are increased all the time, and specs will continue to increase.

It may not become mainstream .. but it dying is seriously doubtful as well. A market most certainly does exist, and it's fairly large too. Large enough to make a profit.
    A lot of people think this is going to be a very cool gadget but once you actually used one of these you realize it has some severe drawbacks.

If VR gear is anything like any other consumer electronic device (ex: CD player, VCR, 3D printer) then 10 years from now it will be a fraction of its current price and size. If the 2025 VR hardware looks anything like a 2015 Oculus Rift it will be because somewhere in the next two years the economy collapsed or some other apocalyptic event has happened that brought the world and technology to its knees. At that point, an uncomfortable VR headset will be the last of any of our concerns. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    As a very proud owner of a Oculus Dk2 it's funny to see a lot of peoples concerns here, yet most have been resolved already when the Rift goes to CV1 production next year.

Wearing glasses - most glasses fit fine with the DK2, CV1 has different faceplates that can be changed out to suit different glasses shapes.

Motion sickness - A ton of work has gone into working out what causes it in VR and ways to prevent it, the high persistence screens will help this is well as they do a lot of work with software side to prevent it ( there will always be people who are more susceptible to motion sickness and not much you can do for that ) 

Cords and more cords - CV1 has built in Mic and 3d audio headphones ( headphones are removable if you want to use your own ) so one cord from the Rift only

Controls - wireless Touch controls are on there way for CV1 https://www.oculus.com/en-us/rift/
    All Rift's will ship with Xbox controller, this gives all the Devs one controller platform to work with until touch becomes more mainstream. 
    They are already looking ahead of Touch with Oculus buying 13th labs and Pebble they have their eyes firmly set on seeing and using your own hands in VR.

Weight - Dk2 is extremely light and CV1 is even lighter.

Mainstream might take some time but VR is now here to stay 

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,764
    Cost. Most games probably wont force you to use a VR hardware. It will all come down to cost.
    Cost?

it's doesn't stop folks from dropping $$ on a new Playstation or Xbox.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    I like to be aware of my RL surroundings. No headset for me.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    In a literal sense I Probably will have played some online game at least once with a VR headset.

However I expect Probably Not is more in the spirit of the question of whether it'll be a common thing I do.  As others have mentioned, we've had VR headsets since the 80s and it's never taken off.  While it'd be unfair not to concede that recent advances have made VR way more powerful since then, I think it's just the idea that you have to wear a clunky headset that keeps it from being mainstream.

Of course I saw a great article recently that pointed out how bad we are at predicting future innovations. Basically our minds establish a somewhat fixed expectation of the rate of change (based legitimately on our past experiences) but the true rate of innovation is always increasing over time, which makes it hard for us to accurately gauge how far technology will be in another 10 years.  So it's entirely possible my prediction will be way off base here, though my guess is that if VR took off it would be due to a significant improvement in the headset itself to be less clunky.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
     I like to be able to see my drink, rather than spill it on my keyboard. For this reason alone, VR headsets of any kind are right out.
  • UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Hi Brabbitt

I dont know if you or anyone else read my post. Im 48. I tried Descent 3D over a week with a heavy VR headset back in 1997 and if it hadnt have been for the cost and the fact the headset was so heavy I would have kept it. I am older and as you said  our bodies and mind do age but even old people still go on extreme roller coasters, run marathons, skydive so I see VR as much less stress than this.  As for psychological effects, will it be any worse than currently  spending too long in front of a computer or TV?

Also there are always going to be people with issues the same as some epileptic people with flashing lights, people motion sickness and so on.  Like you said some people cant even play fast moving pc games as it is right now on screen.  But I can safely  say that only when everyone tries this out and its at a relatively cheap price point will it become the  next craze and eventually settle into normal life.

Why? Why do people want increasingly larger TVs,  and more immersive sound systems. VR headsets are not just for games and applications. 4 people can sit watching completely different tv shows in the same room and still chat as we know earphones don't necessarily have to shut off all sound. Or each person could be in their own larger than Imax  experience totally immersed in the film. No one needs to fight over the comfort of living room TV

Then comes the big bonus, being able to be in the same room virtually as your family on the other side of the world. There is one VR app I read about that emulates a cinema surrounding and people that are physically on the other side of the world can be in the same virtual cinema right next to you.
    Cost. Most games probably wont force you to use a VR hardware. It will all come down to cost.
    Cost?

it's doesn't stop folks from dropping $$ on a new Playstation or Xbox.
    A more valid comparison would be the Nintendo Powerglove, Microsoft Kinect, and PS Move. If they bring the price under $100 (preferably around $75) then they should be in a good place to get plenty of them out there, which increases support and games designed for them, which sells more, etc.  People will pay a lot more for the base unit than for add-ons, the exceptions being early adopters, hobbyists and the more invested gamers.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    VR sounds dangeous and unsafe. Can't see anything going on in reality. 

However , the games I remember feeling I was there were 1st person like Everquest. Games like WOW and Final fantasy where I watched my character I remember it as if I was watching someone else playing .

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I voted 'absolutely not'.  The technology isn't there to deal with my visual issues -- keratoconus in both eyes and a corneal graft in one.  My eye team barely has enough technology to try to provide corrective vision.  I don't see the games industry going down those roads, and even if they did, I couldn't afford it.

And none of that even considers if I want that kind of technology or not.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.