Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a relaxing MMO

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
Hey guys, I have been kind of burnt out of games lately except for Mad Max (which is amazing). I would really like an MMO to play that doesnt require a whole lot of active combat, or for that matter no "Action Combat". 

Something relaxing with either good music, or where I can put my own music on and sit back and just sort of passively play without engaging too often. Also it would be preferable if the game held a solid community with a good guild system, again just a preference.

Anyone got a game that might fit this very lax MMO style?

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    edited September 2015
    Guild Wars 2.

And It's F2P now incase you wanna try it out.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    I'm not aware of too many MMO's that are overall relaxing. 

I've been playing a lot of Trove lately and it has a good bit of activities that could be relaxing. You can just go around harvesting, fishing, mining, exploring, crafting, building on your cornerstone/Club world etc. The combat is action combat, but it's very simplistic (left click attack, right click attack, then two other abilities) but still quite good. I've found leveling to be quite easy as well. Community has been pretty great in my experience so far, with the occasional turd here and there in chat, but that's easy to ignore.
  • MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Maurgrim said:
    Guild Wars 2.

Haha, I would probably agree on that one because I tend to fall asleep when I play it.

Not sure what you mean by passively play? Are we talking about a lot of auto-combat or just a game where you can grind?

Games with auto-path might be something for you? It's not my cup of tea but:

Perfect World
    Forsaken World

Maybe DC Universe? Fly around, punch a few guys, fly away, punch some more etc.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    A tale in the desert?

Also from mainstream mmos, Lord of the Rings can be faily relaxing I think.

..Cake..

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited September 2015
    I just rediscovered Ryzom. It looks a bit dated (it is) but is is VERY relaxing. Lots of harvesting and crafting, ' slow'  combat and no classes. 

Edit: It is a very social experience. Resurrection runs for complete strangers, new players being handed gear by experienced players to ease them in. I had some UI problems the other day and spend about an hour just chatting to people that were helping me out.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355
    That's something I also look for. With so many challenges IRL right now, the only games I can play are games that don't make me rush or are constantly creating a sense of tension, also without to many smash and bang sounds all the time. I have not been able to find anything relaxing in the MMO world yet. I only have Football Manager where I set up my team, click play, and watch making small changes every now and then (green pitch and supporter noise are kind o relaxing).

I also tried TrackDay Manager where you manage a racing team and race against other people and bots, you dont actually drive but set up the car and then issue commands when to pit, what tires, fuel and so on. That was fun but not many people and the sound of engines all the time is not so good.

I think there is a market opportunity for this sort of gameplay, lots of grown ups coming home from work, stressed and tired and want to escape a bit and relax. 

Where do you do it? It would be cool for a game to be relaxing, social and have nice visuals and sounds. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'd suggest SWTOR, but the story focus may interfere with your desire to mute the game and play music instead. Of course when you get to the end game and you just want to grind dailies you could always take that approach.

Same deal with Neverwinter Online. When I was grinding dailies for the campaign upgrades I often turned on music and just cruised on auto pilot. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I find FFXIV-ARR relaxing.  especially if you like crafting.  There are a lot of crafting skills that you can work with.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• GroundlessGroundless Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I just discovered Wurm Online from someone's post on these boards. Massive open world with extensive crafting, building, and terrain modification. I joined up with some new players yesterday and we are building up a small village on an island off the coast of a major trade hub. Definitely a move at your own pace game, with high immersion and tons of projects to engage in how you want. I spent an hour yesterday just wandering around the island checking things out. Community is solid and the game mechanics encourage players to join villages and work together since crafting projects can quickly get out of hand if you try and do them yourself. It's an older game that has been out for some time but damn it is worth your time checking out and wandering around a bit.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Ohh, I know try out EvE and join a corperation.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    ArcheAge, just be a crafter, make music basically whatever you want. You can level to max and just sell your stuff or farm all day never  having to leave the non pvp areas at all.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    everquest progression servers or p99 would be a good choice IMO

it definitely fits the criteria you asked for but it's an older game. 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Hey guys, I have been kind of burnt out of games lately except for Mad Max (which is amazing). I would really like an MMO to play that doesnt require a whole lot of active combat, or for that matter no "Action Combat". 

Something relaxing with either good music, or where I can put my own music on and sit back and just sort of passively play without engaging too often. Also it would be preferable if the game held a solid community with a good guild system, again just a preference.

LOTRO, EQ2, FFXIV all come to mind.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Frack, you can do that in any MMO.  I do it all the time. 

Try Uncharted Waters.  80% of the time you are just sailing a ship and avoiding the pirates. 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• jonesing22jonesing22 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Maurgrim said:
    Guild Wars 2.

I have to disagree here - GW2 and ESO combat are the two most spastic I've played
  • jonesing22jonesing22 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I would recommend the time  locked servers for EQ1 - great population and very relaxing game.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Might want to give Trove a shot.  Its more of a mmo-lite kind of game.  very simple combat, colorful, kinda charming and goofy. Its a collect stuff game at its core, but ive had fun dumping some time into it.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Aika, very charming in presentation, slow paced.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

This may be a longshot but have you tried Terraria? I just started playing myself with a few friends who have been playing for years. Ive always dismissed the game because of the crude 2D/side scrolling type but it is actually a very beautiful game. From games ive played, the best way i can describe it is that its Minecraft mixed with Maplestory and some other mmo features. 

You set the pace of the game yourself, you can go out exploring, deep digging, slaying monsters and farming, or going after bosses and rare loot. You can also just hang out and build if you'd like. Its a perfect "At work" game to play where you can just log in and have fun right away, but also have the ability to play here and there without feeling the need of being left behind.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Fallen Earth. You can ride into the sunset in an open world to nice guitar riffs. :)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• kingtofukingtofu Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Aura Kingdom is another cruisy auto pathing MMO with anime style graphics and solid gameplay, easy and fun
  • GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I find UO and EQ2 relaxing, at least for me :)

• WaldemarTheWaldemarThe Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited September 2015
    EvE online, mining, selling, hauling. Auto-Pilot. No combat if you don't want to. And if you feel like combat, it's just targetting and letting the ship do the rest.
  • MsFitMsFit Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I would recommend The Repopulation.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    A Tale In The Desert has no combat at all.  And it's free to play for the next week or two before the server reset, then there will be all the fun of starting on a new server.  It does tend to turn into a race at that point, so if you want to stay relaxed you have to be careful not to get dragged into the race aspect.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.