Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for friends

Hey guys, was just wondering, other than sites such as this, is there any in particular where I can look up gamers, read their profiles and contact/invite to play games with me? I know I could look on sites such as Steam and Raptr for more gaming info on a player but I would like to find one that would give me info such as their interests/hobbies, age and location.  I know this might sound like I'm looking for a date but I'm not, I just feel that having common interests gives you something to talk about rather than just running around and beating every mob or quest in sight without uttering a word, I mean that's just as dull as playing alone imo and ya may as well be playing a game with NPCs or something.  So if anyone knows of such sites where you can post about yourself and read about others in regards to gaming with more info than just what games they play please let me know, or tell me a bit about yourself and I might just ask you instead ;-P

imageimage

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    TaishiFox,

I have not really find any site where I tend to find friends or likeminded people out there at all.  If you find one let me know.  Almost all of my gaming friends I have met in MMOs from grouping with them (not using LFD/LFR) and playing the same game for a long period of time with.  Right now I am in FFXIV and brought my small group of friends to FF and I am working on bringing more of my friends to it.  I would say find a group of players in game that focused largely on playing together and see if you fit in, if you do stick with them.  I know its very hard to do today because of tools like LFD/LFR but it can be done, it just takes a lot of effort to find that group.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    I've never seen a social networking site for gamers.  Probably facebook would be closest, but for me that's too much noise.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    DMKano said:
    RL friends make the best guildmates.
    Until stuff goes horribly wrong i agree

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    DMKano said:
    What's a real life friend?  Been married over 30 years, those all dropped away years ago, and what few I'm in contact, they hate playing EVE.

So you learn to make new friends, have a number in EVE and other MMO's that I play.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    edited September 2015
    DMKano said:
    Yeah but none of mine play games that I play >_>

XAPKen said:
    I've never seen a social networking site for gamers.  Probably facebook would be closest, but for me that's too much noise.
    Thanks, that actually helped with the keywords "social networking site for gamers" in google :pleased:

UPDATE: Ok I take that back, either results give me some weird site that took over the url or the site doesn't exist at all or its one I already know about ._.

imageimage

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:
    Not always but often. Then again, I have IRL friends that I learned to know in MMOs first.

MMOs is after all a good way to get to know people with similar interests. :)
    edited September 2015
    Loke666 said:

It hasn't been so much so for me.  I keep looking for the Autistic Libertarian NeoPagan Diabetic Programmers Guild, with people who like UFO TV, Antique Limousines and Goth K-Pop, but they seem to be hiding.

I've found a couple, but they always get so upset when I tell them I smoke tobacco.  Geesh.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Given your avatar, you might try SoFurry's forum.  They have servers or clans in several games.  Of course, with any profile system, people choose whether to fill theirs out and how much effort to put into it.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    Given your avatar, you might try SoFurry's forum.  They have servers or clans in several games.  Of course, with any profile system, people choose whether to fill theirs out and how much effort to put into it.
    Eh, honestly I tend not to bother with the furry community much, besides I tend not to go into forums for those kind of sites.  Also, judging by  your avatar I guess you are too?

imageimage

XAPKen said:
    Loke666 said:
    It hasn't been so much so for me.  I keep looking for the Autistic Libertarian NeoPagan Diabetic Programmers Guild, with people who like UFO TV, Antique Limousines and Goth K-Pop, but they seem to be hiding.

I've found a couple, but they always get so upset when I tell them I smoke tobacco.  Geesh.
    I kinda meant MMO fans. If you want to find people enjoying the same music as you, go to a pub or club that plays it. For UFO TV, there must be plenty of forums for people who believe Hitler and Montezuma were aliens... But then, even those Ancient alien narrators doesn't seem like they are smoking tobacco so that part might be hard. ;) 

But then I seen weirder guilds in MMOs (really).
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I don't know if it exists. There have been sites that have been for what you stated you didn't want like gaming dating sites, but other than that, most likely your best bet would be a forum. You said Raptr too but if that didn't work for you I don't think anything else really exists for that type of thing. 
    I don't know if it exists. There have been sites that have been for what you stated you didn't want like gaming dating sites, but other than that, most likely your best bet would be a forum. You said Raptr too but if that didn't work for you I don't think anything else really exists for that type of thing. 
    There is a forum part here for finding new players and guilds, good place to start.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    TaishiFox said:
    Eh, honestly I tend not to bother with the furry community much, besides I tend not to go into forums for those kind of sites.  Also, judging by  your avatar I guess you are too?
    Yeah - I'm somewhat more interested in kemonomimi, shapeshifters, and anthro aliens than the more stereotypical idea of furries, but I love SoFurry as a community, both the archive and the forum.  I don't roleplay all that often, but when I do I roleplay there, because the selection of available roleplays is way more creative and varied than somewhere like literotica or any of the non-adult roleplaying communities.  I wish there were more people interested in co-writing stories or collaborating to make a comic or a game, but eh, it's just not a big enough group of people for that, much like this forum doesn't have enough population to gather an indie game dev team.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    Loke666 said:

[...] But then, even those Ancient alien narrators doesn't seem like they are smoking tobacco so that part might be hard. ;) 

*big grin*

I agree, finding people who enjoy the same type of MMO gameplay would seem to be easiest in game.  I think it takes the right game.  Mainstream broad appeal games might not be as good as niche games.

edited September 2015
    XAPKen said:
    Loke666 said:

[...] But then, even those Ancient alien narrators doesn't seem like they are smoking tobacco so that part might be hard. ;) 

*big grin*

I agree, finding people who enjoy the same type of MMO gameplay would seem to be easiest in game.  I think it takes the right game.  Mainstream broad appeal games might not be as good as niche games.
    Anyways, can't say this thread has been very helpful so far, no real offence to you guys but you do all seem to be debating about the whole idea of finding the right people rather than giving me suggestions and those who have obviously don't know if such places exist that I'm looking for if there is one at all so I'm going to guess there probably isn't, hell perhaps I should create such a place! lol.  So perhaps I should try posting in forums and hope for the best, can't say its my favourable tactic but meh.
    tbh I'm more in agreement with your original statement and really people with "common interests" is what I'm looking for, just cus they play the same MMO doesn't make them an enjoyable comrade to be playing with on a constant basis.

Loke666 said:
    There is a forum part here for finding new players and guilds, good place to start.
    That's just it, there actually isn't! Not that I can find anyway.

imageimage

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Might try the Skype community.  It takes time to find people with shared interests. 

TaishiFox said:

Anyways, can't say this thread has been very helpful so far, no real offence to you guys but you do all seem to be debating about the whole idea of finding the right people rather than giving me suggestions and those who have obviously don't know if such places exist that I'm looking for if there is one at all so I'm going to guess there probably isn't, hell perhaps I should create such a place! lol.  So perhaps I should try posting in forums and hope for the best, can't say its my favourable tactic but meh.

I understand, I can relate.  The guilds I've done best in had real life friends, people who were my friends outside of the game.  Most of them through religious organization contact, with some of their friends added in.  I was tight with a few, and everyone at least was an acquaintance.

I've met a few in game that clicked, usually not with me, but with others in my guild.  They treated me politely, and I them, but bonding was limited.

But honestly, I can't be of help.  Outside of work, church, or hobbyist organizations, I don't have a clue how people meet.  Online socializing has never worked much for me.  I tend to find most communities toxic and the people generally uninteresting.  I know that sounds horrible, but it's accurate.

One thing I will mention, and this is from 15+ years ago.  I was involved in a chat system called Talk City.  I think it's long dead.  The chat room I participated in wasn't bad.  One huge advantage of chat is moderation is instantaneous.  Asshats and abusers don't usually last long in a channel.  My time there was probably the best socializing and discussion on a personal level that I've ever experienced.

If forum is less favourable, getting settled in as a chat regular in a group where like minded people might frequent could possible be a gateway to meeting and greeting.

TaishiFox said:

That's just it, there actually isn't! Not that I can find anyway.

Maybe look into a larger guild.  I don't know who to suggest, but some of the online guilds are huge with thousands of members.

The MMO regulars here should be able to mention a couple.  There has to be some that go beyond focusing on being top-raiders in games.