Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play For Free Today

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Today we’re happy to announce that the Guild Wars 2 core game is available for everyone to play for free. With Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ launching soon, there’s no better time to introduce the game to your friends.

Our Business Model

Guild Wars 2 has the simplest of business models: buy the game and play it as long as you want with no monthly fees. We’ve been championing this as a great business model for MMOs since launching the first Guild Wars® a decade ago. We continue to believe in buy-to-play. It’s good for gamers and good for developers.

This business model has been fantastic for Guild Wars 2 and our fans. Since launching three years ago—almost to the day, today—we’ve sold more than 5 million copies of the game. And we’ve delivered more than 40 major content releases, with world-changing events, Living World episodes, and feature packs, all free of charge.

Expansions are the one place where the buy-to-play model gets a little tricky. When you’re coming in as a new player to a game that has a bunch of expansions, what exactly should you buy in order to play with your friends? The base game and also every single expansion? We’ve seen examples in the industry where that kind of thing has gotten out of control. It doesn’t seem right, and we want to do better. As we get ready to ship our first expansion forGuild Wars 2, we want to ensure that we keep the business model friendly and simple. So let’s be clear that when we say Guild Wars 2 is buy-to-play, we’re only asking you to buy one thing: the current release, Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns.

To accomplish that, we’ve already included the core game as a free bundle for anyone who buysGuild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns. And today we’ll go a step further: we’re making the core game free for everyone. For anyone who’s been curious about Guild Wars 2, now you can just go to guildwars2.com, download the game, and start playing.
If anyone can play Guild Wars 2 for free now, does that mean we’re switching business models to free-to-play? Are we going to be one of those games that aggressively monetizes free players through microtransactions? Absolutely not. Guild Wars 2 remains the same game it always has been. We’re making the core game experience free because we’re confident that anyone who loves Guild Wars 2 will buy Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns.

Getting the Details Right

A game like Guild Wars 2 lives and dies by its community. Our goal is to protect our current community but also to make it as easy as possible for you to introduce the game to your friends, to recruit new players into your guilds, to challenge new players to Player vs. Player matches, and so on.

It’s trickier than you’d think to accomplish both objectives. We have to ensure that free accounts can’t be used to abuse the game or its current players (through botting, cheating, spamming, or RMT) while still making sure that free accounts get the authentic Guild Wars 2experience.

Here are the changes we made for free accounts.

First, free accounts start with fewer character slots and bag slots than the paid version of the game. But they still get the full complement of slots as soon as they buyGuild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns.

Second, free accounts have some chat restrictions and economy restrictions so that they can’t be used to disrupt the game for other players. Free accounts can use local chat and whispers, but not map chat. With whispers, they can both start new conversations and reply to existing conversations but are limited to starting new conversations no more than once every 30 seconds. Free accounts can buy and sell common goods on the trading post. They can’t mail gold or items directly to other players, trade gold for gems, or access guild vaults.

Third, free accounts have some restrictions to prevent them from skipping ahead to places where they could be used to disrupt the game. They must play to level 10 before leaving the starter zones, to level 30 before using LFG, and to level 60 before using World vs. World. They can play PvP immediately but must get to rank 20 before using custom and unranked arenas.

We’ve found in testing that it’s hard to read a list like this and know how it’s going to feel in action. All these changes are live today, so we invite you to see for yourself. Test with a free account and see that it’s the same Guild Wars 2 you know and love; test with a veteran account and confirm that the community is protected.

We have an exhaustive FAQ covering these changes and other topics related to the free game, so check it out if you have additional questions.

A Call to Action

Guild Wars 2 is famous for having the friendliest community in online gaming, and that community continues to grow. With Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns on the horizon, of course the game was going to have an influx of new players. And now, with this change, it will have a larger one. I ask you, the game’s veterans, to be the friendly faces that will welcome all these new players to the game.

To celebrate this special three-year anniversary of Guild Wars 2, we’re giving current players an all-new Royal Guard Outfit. Wear it with pride whenever you want to show that you were there early on, and that you’re someone that new players can go to for help.

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is full of end-game content, including Masteries, Fractals, Stronghold, and our newly announced challenging group content, raids. It’s coming on October 23, just 55 days from now! This is the perfect time to bring new players into your guild, to help them level up and master their professions, to practice coordinating as a team, and to prepare for all the challenges that the jungle will bring.

Mike O’Brien

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/play-for-free-today/

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    "They must play to level 10 before leaving the starter zones, to level 30 before using LFG, and to level 60 before using World vs. World."

Most interesting part of the whole thing lol. Personally, I think having new people wait that long before WvW is pretty good, to determine if they will actually like the game. When I first started playing GW2, I honestly couldn't stand it and ended up leveling via WvW to cap starting at like 15? or something like that, which only made me like WvW and not really the rest of the game aside from the living story lol.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    GAME OVER

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Free accounts and the usage of the tp: "Can buy and sell items from a selected list."

I would like to see that list of items. Without restrictions this is a huge invitation to spam the market with botted goods.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    edited August 2015
    It's so beautiful. I almost fainted in disbelief but.. it's true. GW2 is F2P from today, I just checked https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT & https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/play-for-free-today/ to be sure. 

New F2P account here I come. Hey, I'm not cheap I just have other games to play, my pockets aren't endless ATM's. If I like GW2 enough I might buy HoT later on.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I actually approve of this. Guildwars 2, as much as the fanboys like to claim, is a buy to play game. The cash shop it has IS there more then enough covering for a monthly subscription, and IS very relevant to the game no matter how much they like to claim otherwise. 

Having the core game free and the expansion costing money (although I'd say it costs too much) I am far more accepting of how it functions. I have to admit it doesn't change my opinion on the game as far as it plays (I just find it average at best, having a great art style with rather hit and miss story and a lackluster combat system) but I honestly support the game more for doing this. THIS is how the game should of came out launched. I really don't mind expansions costing money (with a reasonable price) but if you are going to have a cash shop that DOES effect game play (money giving benefit for the game with how it is set up with things, and having stuff like character slots costing money) your base game at least should be free.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I see it as Buy to Play with a restricted trial. Sounds fair enough. Give the game a go and if you like it, buy the full experience. Thats fine with me as long as the free trial is restricted enough to deter bots and spammers.

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Wow, I'm going to download it right now to try it out. Never ever played GW2. The Free restrictions sound fair enough.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I see it as Buy to Play with a restricted trial. Sounds fair enough. Give the game a go and if you like it, buy the full experience. Thats fine with me as long as the free trial is restricted enough to deter bots and spammers.
    It sounds effectively, like a free trial of the game, as you have to pay to unlock all the restrictions effectively, by buying the expansion pack, not a bad idea tbh, the game has needed a free trial for a while, the limitations in place will hopefully effectively counter any gold farmers etc.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I might hop in the game later today to guage the influx of new players, although i'm sure it would be much higher if it wasn't saturday.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Original game is now going FTP...why are they dancing around it? Other than they do not want the you said buy to play  yada yada yada...still... just come out and say it do not try to play around with words. 

They even have the normal FTP restrictions on parts of game...soon they will be selling more slots and bags and what not...for original game in their in-game shop. And what then? Say we are not FTP again?  Just say it now and be done with it:. :)
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    edited August 2015
    Wow.. how nice, I spent like £50 on release on got nadda for my purchase except the core game, what do us loyal buyers get? nothing no doubt

imageimage

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    TaishiFox said:
    Wow.. how nice, I spent like £50 on release on got nadda for my purchase except the core game, what do us loyal buyers get? nothing no doubt
    let me think

you played the game for 3 years
    you get all the LS for free
    you get all the thingies unlocked no restrictions

and now what f2p get
    lots of restritions
    no map chat
    very limited AH
    and lots of other things locked

basicaly f2p is a trial for GW2
    so stop crying
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I wonder how many will end up feeling the need to put a negative spin on this.

I self identify as a monkey.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Perfect move.. going to be a population boom. What free players will get is amazing. 1000's of hours of content, regardless of the restrictions.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AlamonzoroAlamonzoro Member UncommonPosts: 120
    O come on who want to play that Warhammer online clone anyway ? Let it go the way of its dad Warhammer online and end this.

• moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Ouch this is going to hurt the community for sure.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Looks like a good model. The limitations of AH, mail and chat mean that the free accounts won't be used for spam and gold farming, but they don't harm gameplay like reduced XP or other things like that would. Still, if you want to play a lot, buying the game is a good idea.

This should also help populate the low-lvl areas when every old player moves to HoT.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scalpless said:
    Looks like a good model. The limitations of AH, mail and chat mean that the free accounts won't be used for spam and gold farming, but they don't harm gameplay like reduced XP or other things like that would. Still, if you want to play a lot, buying the game is a good idea.

This should also help populate the low-lvl areas when every old player moves to HoT.
    With the mega server I don't think that really is a problem. Most zones do have plenty of players except a few really unpopular (Brisban Wildlands comes to thought) but even them still have 15 or so players any time.

It is still smart though. For one thing do you get 2 character slots, buying more will get in cash fast. Same thing with just 3 bag slots. Secondly it will it bring in more new players, more potential sales of HoT.

No map chat will keep whining free players from totally screwing the community.