Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion to rip gamers off with founders pack for Devilian.

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,569
    It isn't DOA and you aren't forced to buy the packs. A ripoff is subjective to the person calling it a ripoff so to some it might not be.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,636
    Looks to me like they are offering fairly standard prepurchase  packs. I don't particularly like that alpha access is exclusive to the $150 pack, but the $50 pack looks reasonable. Its basically the same price as a b2p game.

I am more concerned about how the game will be monetized outside of the packs, f2p games tend to be set up so that at some point you have to start paying to be competitive, and the more you pay the bigger the advantage.

In terms of whether this is a rip off though, its on a completely different level to upcoming games that are selling space ships/houses or charging subs before the game is even in beta. Seems very tame compared to what I am seeing certain other small companies trying to pull.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,657
    YashaX said:
    Looks to me like they are offering fairly standard prepurchase  packs. I don't particularly like that alpha access is exclusive to the $150 pack, but the $50 pack looks reasonable. Its basically the same price as a b2p game.

I am more concerned about how the game will be monetized outside of the packs, f2p games tend to be set up so that at some point you have to start paying to be competitive, and the more you pay the bigger the advantage.

In terms of whether this is a rip off though, its on a completely different level to upcoming games that are selling space ships/houses or charging subs before the game is even in beta. Seems very tame compared to what I am seeing certain other small companies trying to pull.

Quoted for truth. There are companies out there selling stuff for THOUSANDS of dollars for games that haven't even been build yet (Star Citizen) or for games that are undergoing massive changes all the time (Shroud of the Avatar). This may be the shittiest game ever but at least there is an actual game to spend money on. This contrary to, say, the much supported Star Citizen which everyone and their dog seem to 'invest in,'  there you really do not have a clue what you are spending money on.... Horrible double standard over here.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    This game is not so much dead-on-arrival as it is dead in Korea.

Do a 10 minute search for videos on this game, and you'll find all the convincing you need to not pay Trion $150.
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Uziduke said:

Devilian will be another Archeage. Trion proved that they can't westernize another Asian game by again have ridiculous founders packs that match the same as ArcheAge. Lets see how many they can fool this time around.

Like the next person, I dislike feeling ripped off. Every time I see a newly launched game with a >$200 founder pack, it turns me against the game. Every time I see fail states that can be overcome by cash shop items or gambling boxes, it turns me against the game. 

Don;t get me wrong, in the games I like, I would be incredibly surprised if I did not spend considerably more than the average... but I dislike feeling manipulated. I am happy to spend money on the entertainment I consume, but I am not happy if the method of extracting that cash feels... well I said it, manipulative.

My current way of handling this... when I see that a game is selling a $500 starter pack, I walk away. When I see that a game intends to sell gambling packs, I walk away. It has made the MMOs I now choose to stick with far more rewarding as a result.  
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,826
    DMKano said:
    d_20 said:
    Devilian is a korean mmo that is already shutting down in its own region... I would certainly try it when it comes to NA but why someone would buy founders on DOA game is beyond me.
    Doesn't look promising.

Here's a link:  http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/18/devilians-south-korea-server-is-shutting-down/

I'm not buying into that. I already gave at ArcheAge and won't do it again.

Shutting down due to publisher getting out of all PC gaming and switching to mobile only. Bluehole Ginno are looking for a new publisher in Korea.

The shutdown is temporary. 

Also Devilian is launching in China as well where they showed the 5th class - as the game is in active development. 

That raises as many questions as it asnwers as to why? I don't see Blizzard trying to drop PC games for Mobile apps. However, Funcom tried to change their format...Daybreak Games also announced a similar change in direction.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    DMKano said:
    d_20 said:
    Devilian is a korean mmo that is already shutting down in its own region... I would certainly try it when it comes to NA but why someone would buy founders on DOA game is beyond me.
    Doesn't look promising.

Here's a link:  http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/18/devilians-south-korea-server-is-shutting-down/

I'm not buying into that. I already gave at ArcheAge and won't do it again.

Shutting down due to publisher getting out of all PC gaming and switching to mobile only. Bluehole Ginno are looking for a new publisher in Korea.

The shutdown is temporary. 

Also Devilian is launching in China as well where they showed the 5th class - as the game is in active development. 

That raises as many questions as it asnwers as to why? I don't see Blizzard trying to drop PC games for Mobile apps. However, Funcom tried to change their format...Daybreak Games also announced a similar change in direction.
    Can't forget blizzard is not a need of money if there pc market was doing bad for them they'll do it too, money drives what company does all company do. But who knows that company may see is just cheaper to run moblie games over mmo type games as not the same cost rate to keep it running.
  • AngryElfAngryElf Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Soybean said:
    What was that old saying again? Oh yeah, fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fell for it once already with AA and I am not going to do that again.
    Yeah, and the game just looks shitty. 
  • rage2winrage2win Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited November 2015
    the game is extremely boring anyway.. so.. just don't play it. I streamed it once, got bored and uninstalled live on stream. Pvp is also a joke.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 2,929
    What a mind-numbingly tedious game.   Another hope for a good-quality, exciting MMO bites the dust.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774

Blizz is not dropping PCs. But at the same time, Hearthstone has a mobile version, and didn't they say they will port Overwatch to consoles too.

They certainly are not married to PCs only. Which way will they go in the future? Probably depends on the market. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    I don't buy founder packs of f2p games.

But again, why complain ... no one is forcing anyone to buy. 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    svandy said:
    DMKano said:

Why do some folks think that for how much businesses decide to sell their product is any of their business?

Because it sets an industry standard in an industry they care about? You can't argue this is not true, the dramatic increase in the price of founder's packs, pre-orders, etc is very, very obvious. People are just as free to express their disgust in this practice as companies are to engage in it, so it is pretty hypocritical to suggest that we need to just leave them be - especially when their profits are driven DIRECTLY by people like us, whereas our opinions don't rely on them at all.
    That ship has long since sailed my friend, it sailed and went to another planet and came back twice already.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 8,541
    Founders packs are not forced on anyone, want it, get it. Dont want it, get ahold of yourself you dont need to.
  • BanyoHDBanyoHD Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited November 2015
    Hardly surprising. Trion had a pretty solid reputation before releasing ArcheAge. It's going to be interesting to see how many gamers that are willing to forgive and forget. The slogan "No tricks, no traps" still echo in my mind each time I hear their company name. In reality most of us know that the end product was nothing like it was in Alpha when most players picked up founder's pack. I can't see why they wouldn't pull the same shenanigans again. 

But then again maybe I'm cynical and they actually learned this time around. Only time will tell.
  • JohnxboyJohnxboy Member UncommonPosts: 104
    This just in DMKano bought 3 Obsidian packs. Once a chump...Always a..
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,198
    Uziduke said:

Devilian will be another Archeage. Trion proved that they can't westernize another Asian game by again have ridiculous founders packs that match the same as ArcheAge. Lets see how many they can fool this time around.

@Uziduke , I don't think I've seen this many 'agree' on a post before. Congrats!  :) 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,320
    How can this be a ripoff.  You know what you get, and you can opt not to get it.  I understand, you don't like Trion.  At least make accurate statements.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 3,129
    After the AA debacle you would have to be nuts to buy into this.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    mgilbrtsn said:
    How can this be a ripoff.  You know what you get, and you can opt not to get it.  I understand, you don't like Trion.  At least make accurate statements.

Yup, you know what you are getting and you get to choose to get it or not.  Meeting of the minds. Not a problem.

Now if a game is a game addict, he might "feel forced" to get it but that person has a bigger issue to deal with.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    While I agree that Trion sucks a mountain of butt the size of an imperial star destroyer... I do have to say that buying a $150 founders pack for a game you have not even played yet is silly and if you do not find the value you thought you would get it is really your own fault.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    edited November 2015
    No pity for anyone stupid enough to buy a $150 founder pack, after Trion pulled the same exact BS last time.

(And with AA, one could even say they put in a fairly serious "bait + switch" late in development. What beta patch was it were they gutted crafting, put in labor and removed item decay? 1.2? 1.6? I can't remember. It totally changed the game, and the importance of the cash shop after that.)

Trion has proven itself to be unworthy of trust to NOT radically change a game during beta, so keep that in mind before forking over $150 for a "F2P" game, as well.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    What else do people expect? The company is living on founder pack ripoffs and whales.

• PangscarPangscar Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Yeah agree with others in the notion that if you fall for it again with this Dev after what they did with ArchaAge its your own fault not theirs. They would be stupid not to try it again if it worked the first time.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,344
    Well I tried to like it but wow I just think this game is meh. Really bland. To each their own

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다