Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Underwater setting MMO?

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
edited August 2015 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I'm mainly curious whether people prefer 1 or 2, but also curious about the split between 1,2,3 and 4,5,6.
I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Would it be weird for swimming to be the default movement type in an MMO?
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Sci-Fi MMO.

One of the planets that the player can travel to is an oceanic planet.  Covered in water.  Some of it fairly shallow, but no land above water.  Have some habitats above the water, but have some habitats below the water where they're mining some kind of rare material.

Have some exotic vegetation that grows from the ground in the shallows.  Have lots of varied and crazy looking oceanic life with some very rare and very deep dwelling gigantic sea creatures.

Whole lot of things you can do with this.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    edited August 2015
    Other.  In a fantasy underwater setting I don't want to be a fish person.

I'd rather play an aquatic creature with human characteristics transposed on them.

Think of the characters in Finding Nemo.  Fun people, and all of them fish, crabs, etc.

It's going to make sword combat a bit difficult with no arms, but I bet something creative could be worked out.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    It depends on how the underwater elements are handled- if they are unique and innovative I could get on board, if you are just a merperson partaking in standard mmo combat I wouldn't see the point. 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Have yet to play an under water zone I liked... In any MMO. 
    It depends on how the underwater elements are handled- if they are unique and innovative I could get on board, if you are just a merperson partaking in standard mmo combat I wouldn't see the point. 
    The particular game design I'm looking at would be like the one described in my signature.  The point of the underwater elements would be to have a unique tech tree so you're not just dealing with wood and stone and clay like every other sandbox MMO.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    no way.  i hate water levels in games.  I hated swimming in games way back to mario days.  The water quests in GW2 really annoy me.
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    The particular game design I'm looking at would be like the one described in my signature.  The point of the underwater elements would be to have a unique tech tree so you're not just dealing with wood and stone and clay like every other sandbox MMO.
    Things I dislike in mmo underwater design... 

1) Running out of breath. 
    2) the fact that having three axis just becomes a hindrance in targeting mobs rather than something fun. 
    3) the fact it is just a more objectionable version of standard mmo combat. 

Things I would like to see in an underwater mmo: -

a) Making full use of all three axis. Think those decent flight simulators you have played but underwater... and with speed- shark or dolphin speed.  
    b) The fully realised ethereal beauty you experience while scuba diving. 
    c) No silly weapons... try swinging a sword underwater and see how much damage it does. Give me teeth and a big mouth at the front end of a torpedo shaped body.  
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    jitter77 said:
    no way.  i hate water levels in games.  I hated swimming in games way back to mario days.  The water quests in GW2 really annoy me.
    I liked Eco The Dolphin. 

jitter77 said:
    Option 2 in the poll does not have swimming, but instead has a fairly normal world where coral replaces trees, fish replace floating monsters, clams can be found growing on the ground, etc.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I would dig an mmo version of Ecco the Dolphin

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    lol ya should try to play Eco the dolphin, now that was an annoying underwater game
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    jitter77 said:
    This.  It pains me to think about it.  The only way to make it remotely fun would be to remove all the restrictions on movement that water imposes, then you might as well just be flying around in bubble world.
  • svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Other - I'd happily play an MMO version of Subnautica.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Swimming in traditional MMOs is not fun, if they could find a way to make it fun, I would be all for an underwater MMO, think that would be awesome.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    goboygo said:
    jitter77 said:
    This.  It pains me to think about it.  The only way to make it remotely fun would be to remove all the restrictions on movement that water imposes, then you might as well just be flying around in bubble world.
    Actually yes, that's exactly what I want to know - is "flying around in bubble world" interesting?
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Wouldn't play as fish people as I generally don't enjoy playing weird races myself, although I do enjoy it when others play them.

I am very much interested in an underwater setting, though I think it would be extremely difficult to do right. Sci Fi would probably be the best fit, a bit like Subnautica is doing.

There is sort of an underwater MMO in the form of World of Diving.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I want it all in my game,not one or the other.It is one aspect and pretty much the only one i missed in FFXI,i can't quite grasp why no water zones except perhaps they just didn't want to spend the time to code it out with physics and lighting.

Water zones CAN offer a ton more realism to a game,example Fire spells would not work under water but water and ice spells would be far more powerful.Same goes for land Fire would be more powerful as well as Earth based but Water and Ice would be weak to useless.

I like to see more in depth concepts in my games,i tire of games that look like they came off of a Blizzard assembly line.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Be tempted if it was an interesting MMO with sound mechanics...   Though they would need to not do that whole "Nerfed Play" thing developers do in water, because you're a land lubber.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

anemo said:
    Be tempted if it was an interesting MMO with sound mechanics...   Though they would need to not do that whole "Nerfed Play" thing developers do in water, because you're a land lubber.
    No, that wouldn't be an issue for this particular design - there would not be any breath holding mechanic or breathing meter, and the underwater setting is the main setting, so there wouldn't be a decrease in ability from what you had in some other setting.  Nor would the setting be intended to make it difficult to move or fight or whatever.  The player would be intended to freely move around, gather stuff, kill monsters for their drops, build their house and crafting appliances...
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Nanfoodle said:
    Have yet to play an under water zone I liked... In any MMO. 
    this.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    I don't think this would be a popular game because it seems like i'd be annoying. In something like a survial mmo or an area you can explore is fine, but the whole world being submerged would get redudant and stale after a while.

MurderHerd

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193
    I could go for a Aquanox type mmo..
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    It's not an MMO, and it probably won't become a multiplayer experience for a very long while, but Subnautica is definitely worth checking out if you're interested in a Sci-Fi, ocean world, discovery oriented sandbox. Look it up. As for it ever becoming an MMO? It won't, but I really wish it would.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm not to keen on underwater play, especially combat. WoWs cataclysm made a pretty good attempt at it and although it was acceptable (and I had to do it for lore content), I still didn't enjoy it. GW2 has a half way decent system, but imo it just all feels unnatural and clumsy playing a game underwater.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.