Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Cancelled Due to Lack of Profitability & Sustainability | Moonrise | MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageGame Cancelled Due to Lack of Profitability & Sustainability | Moonrise | MMORPG.com

Undead Labs has announced with regret that its "collect 'em all" PC and iOS game, Moonrise, has been cancelled. Undead Labs indicated that the game lacked sustainability and profitability over the long haul. Moonrise has been in beta on Steam for quite some time and in limited release on iOS.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281
    I think the concept of a collect-'em-all MMO would be quite fun, especially if they would nail the PvP aspect. We've seen collector-type games flourish in recent years and post-Minecraft games have shown that there's a market for senseless "collection/grind" (Trove). However, I do have to say that Moonrise feel waaaaay short of the task, as the game was simplistic beyond measure.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I think the concept of a collect-'em-all MMO would be quite fun, especially if they would nail the PvP aspect. We've seen collector-type games flourish in recent years and post-Minecraft games have shown that there's a market for senseless "collection/grind" (Trove). However, I do have to say that Moonrise feel waaaaay short of the task, as the game was simplistic beyond measure.
    I would disagree with characterizing it as senseless.  When it boils down to it, the purpose of these games is to do what you enjoy.  If people enjoy collecting, it isn't really senseless to them.  It's really a matter of perspective really.  For some PvP is senseless and others it may be crafting.  Perspective, perspective, perspective. 

I self identify as a monkey.

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    played the closed beta and it looked like a android game like we got each days the concept was nice and here but they have make it with smartphone in mind but it was not 100% create for smartphone either so they failed at both. with a real world and the same system this game would be not canceled probably, but it was realy like playing a single player smartphone game. in these type of game people want the online too, so they can show the animal they have caught, arena where people see the result ect, they failed at the multiplayer part badly :(
  • HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Hate to say it, but good. Now maybe they can make a version of State of Decay that has some form of co-op.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

I wanted to enjoy this game .....but it wasn't very enjoyable for the small amount of time I played it

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    so nowadays mmos are expected to be profitable while still under development and during alpha/beta testing periods?

The more of them get cancelled the healthier the genre will get.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    It's interesting they didn't try to fix the game and change what was putting people off. It must have REALLY been a bad reception if they didn't even think it was worth trying to salvage their work.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Hardcoded said:
    Hate to say it, but good. Now maybe they can make a version of State of Decay that has some form of co-op.

I wish I could trust them to augment State of Decay into something that felt like an MMORPG.  The combat system was just deep enough to keep things fresh while scavenging, and they had a good system in place for sound to attract zombies that made using guns a tactical choice that wasn't always the best option.  State of Decay is a shining example of a zombie survival game done right.  Just enough survival mixed in with excellent and fun scavenging gameplay.  To have multiplayer added in properly would be worth an entirely new box price for the franchise.