Not really playing MMORPGs these days, I'd like to give a new MMORPG a try, so I wonder if one might be released this year or early next year that fits my preferences.
- Payment: as little pay2win as possible. I doubt that we will have any non-pay2win MMORPGs again (apart from tiny indie games once a decade or so), but I'd like to be able to enjoy the game without it throwing one obstacle after another at me that I can only remove with cash. Whether the game requires an initial purchase (then a free trial would be nice), a subscription or f2p doesn't matter to me.
- PVE or PvP: PvE please. I don't mind if PvP is an optional part of the game, but I like my MMORPGs to be PvE focused.
- Immersive: I'd like an immersive world. No lobby game, no game on rails that you have to follow, as few invisible walls as possible.
- Replayability: I like to play with several characters, so if there is only one or two factions of which each offer a fixed path to follow, and I thus have to go through exactly the same content over and over, I get bored quickly.
- Crafting: I like crafting stuff in games, so a good crafting system is worth a lot.
- Type: Western. It's not super important, but I'm not really a fan of having characters looking like twelve year old girls with bunny ears hop around me all the time.
- Graphics: nice graphics are of course welcome, but if the rest of the game is great, I will settle for less here as well.
- Good character creation system: I like it when I can actually create interesting characters, instead of the regular super-model types only. Also I dislike gender-locked class systems, though I know that these are the standard these days.
- Creativity: a game that has as races human and elf and as classes warrior, hunter and assassin with skills such as smash and shadow strike bore me a bit, since it was just there over and over. The more creativity there is the better.
- Few fast travel options: if all characters teleport from city to city in the entire game, the world looks empty and less immersive. While this is not super important, I just like it more when people actually travel through the world.
- Little automatization: I once tried a game where you could make your character walk by itself to the next quest area, including taking the right turns and so on, so you told the character to walk there and then went afk to do something else in the meantime. I can't stand that. I want people to play the games, not scripts.
- Characters and equipment that changes over time: I don't like it if, such as with Wildstar, a character can have only one type of weapon. I want things to change over time.
- Classes: I like it if you have to decide for a certain role or strategy. Whether it's a classless system as with Fallen Earth or a regular system doesn't matter. I just don't like it if everybody is good at everything at all times.
Nice to have
I know I'm dreaming there, but: dynamic weather system, terraforming, seasons, housing, high difficulty, good AI, well done day/night system (not just a slightly blue tint at night).
- Setting: I don't really care if it's fantasy, sci-fi or whatever.
- Combat system: I like the action combat, such as in Tera or Wildstar a lot, but the typical combat system is fine as well if the rest of the game is good.
Thanks a lot for any suggestions.