Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mafia 3 and Race In Video Games

2»

Comments

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    yawn

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited September 2016
    Pretty sure, other than racist assholes, no one was complaining about the PC being black.

Pretty sure this conversation was/is why any hate toward Mafia 3:

A: Hey did ya hear about the new Mafia game?
    B: No! Is it a sequel to the last one cause it was great! =)
    A: Na it's totally different.
    B: Oh well, their aren't enough Prohibition-Era games out there so I'll take what I can.
    A: Uh... it's set in the late 60's.
    B: Really? That's strange, but the late 60's were a wild time in NYC.
    A: Uhh... it's not set in NYC.
    B: Ahh they've gone with the fake city thing like Liberty City in GTA huh?
    A: Uhhh... kinda, except the city is based on New Orleans.
    B: O.o That is REALLY strange but OK I guess. So you play as a Italian/Cajun or something?
    A: Uhhhh... you play a Black dude.
    B: :o You sure we are talking about a Mafia game?
    A: Yep I'm sure.
    B: OK so how does the PC get into the Mob?
    A: Uhhhhh... he isn't in the Mob, he fights them.
    B: >:)  OK fuck off, you are full of shit!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    what people don't understand is that racism is a tool the "elites" that rule this world uses to dived us so we can`t focus on what they are doing!
    the shootings that they show where blacks are killed is staged,investigate and wake up.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Let's be honest there is an agenda in film and gaming to make black people look like the villain. Just google 'fenn star wars black' and the aproar before the film reveiled that fenn wasn't Luke's chosen it was actually the girl. 

Take the green lantern, he was actually black in the magazines but the film cast a white man. 

If we want to view it from a marketing perspective then the black audience is a very small minority in the English speaking world.  Its smart to pick a different race if you are looking at making money because you open the door to 85% of NA and 99% of Europe.  The real question is why do we expect a racial group that only consists of less then 5% of the market to receive special recognition?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Sovrath said:
    Just google 'fenn star wars black' and the aproar before the film reveiled that fenn wasn't Luke's chosen it was actually the girl. 

I have a strong feeling that "the girl" will turn out to be his daughter. So in that case, it makes sense.

Exactly what I'm talking about lol, I didn't say it doesn't make sense I had no problem with it. My point was the uproar when people first saw fenn. 

Remember the first trailer when fenn pop up in the desert, the web was alive with racists slurs. 

"Black storm trooper " wtf lol. 

Then the last trailer when fenn was holding Luke's blue light saber,  it was hysteria at it's  best. 

And because you mention it not me, what if the story did ver towards fenn being a Jedi, remember Mace Windo? 

And let's say he did somehos acquire Luke's saber, so what. 

Green Lantern is black but the film cast a white man, I guess that  makes sense. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Sovrath said:
    Just google 'fenn star wars black' and the aproar before the film reveiled that fenn wasn't Luke's chosen it was actually the girl. 

I have a strong feeling that "the girl" will turn out to be his daughter. So in that case, it makes sense.

Exactly what I'm talking about lol, I didn't say it doesn't make sense I had no problem with it. My point was the uproar when people first saw fenn. 

Remember the first trailer when fenn pop up in the desert, the web was alive with racists slurs. 

Then the last trailer when fenn was holding Luke's blue light saber,  it was hysteria at it's  best. 

And because you mention it not me, what if the story did ver towards fenn being a Jedi, remember Mace Windo? 

Green Lantern is black but the film cast a white man, I guess that  makes sense. 
    I don't disagree that people had issues with Fenn, I was just giving my two cents about the girl.

It really amazes me that people actually have problems with people of other races, so many hateful people out there and really should look into their own selves as to why they are unhappy.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

I don't disagree that people had issues with Fenn, I was just giving my two cents about the girl.

It really amazes me that people actually have problems with people of other races, so many hateful people out there and really should look into their own selves as to why they are unhappy.

I agree it's wasted energy. 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Who cares what race the main character of a game is, if you are opposed to anything the developer chooses for their own game, then you should get over yourself. Most choices are made for a reason, and I agree with whatever people want the characters to be portrayed as in their own fiction. I personally think this main character looks super interesting and I'm excited to try this game out.
    filmoret said:
    Let's be honest there is an agenda in film and gaming to make black people look like the villain. Just google 'fenn star wars black' and the aproar before the film reveiled that fenn wasn't Luke's chosen it was actually the girl. 

Take the green lantern, he was actually black in the magazines but the film cast a white man. 

If w

We want to view it from a marketing perspective then the black audience is a very small minority in the English speaking world.  Its smart to pick a different race if you are looking at making money because you open the door to 85% of NA and 99% of Europe.  The real question is why do we expect a racial group that only consists of less then 5% of the market to receive special recognition?

Well you completely miss the point but hey ho I guess some will never understand it. 

Probably best we have no more discussion about it, the thread will probably get closed. 

I'm surprised it's lasted this long. 

Anyone remember the political forum on this site that got completely out of hand hence the ban on these kind of topics. I could actually go toe to toe with you but alas it's best to end it. 

Sovrath said:

Considering the storm troopers are clones of a latino/arabian descendant then I also had the same thought.  It wasn't because we didn't want a black dude storm trooper it was because we were trying to figure out how he went from latino to black suddenly.  I think they explained that in the movie i dont quite remember.  But yea they did make it look like he was going to be the Jedi so when that didn't happen you would expect people to be upset.
    filmoret said:
    Sovrath said:

Considering the storm troopers are clones of a latino/arabian descendant then I also had the same thought.  It wasn't because we didn't want a black dude storm trooper it was because we were trying to figure out how he went from latino to black suddenly.  I think they explained that in the movie i dont quite remember.  But yea they did make it look like he was going to be the Jedi so when that didn't happen you would expect people to be upset.

Lol do you actually know anything about star wars and storm troopers? 

I'll let these guys explain it to you. 

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2014/12/6-reasons-theres-black-stormtrooper-in.html?m=1

Perhaps you can see why it was dumb thinking there we're no black storm troopers. 

filmoret said:
    Sovrath said:

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2014/12/6-reasons-theres-black-stormtrooper-in.html?m=1

Perhaps you can see why it was dumb thinking there we're no black storm troopers. 

Sorry I'm not the Star Wars expert who went through 100 books of reading the series.  Watching the movies they are called IDK maybe CLONES?  I don't remember that changing at all in the movies untill this movie. 
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Sovrath said:

Sorry I'm not the Star Wars expert who went through 100 books of reading the series.  Watching the movies they are called IDK maybe CLONES?  I don't remember that changing at all in the movies untill this movie. 

There you go, you learn something new everyday. 

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I see the same crap on twitch whenever a black guy is playing a game.  Chat spams racist stuff.

Part of it is kids trying to be edgy, the other part is just the fact that many white suburban kids have never really interacted with a black guy.  All the knowledge they have of them is from media and news covering inner city crime.

Anyway, one thing's clear, especially with the election and some Trump supporters- this country still has a long ways to go before it stops being stupidly racist.
This discussion has been closed.