Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to play something new

LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680
edited August 2015 in LFGame
Simple question, Is there really anything to play? I have been out of the MMO game for a while last one I bought was Archage which the majority of us know what happened... I am looking for something solid to play with good PvP that isn't WoW or GW2. Does this exist anymore? I heard Black Desert is looking good but that is what a 2016 NA release? Any insight would be awesome or is it true? MMOs are dead?

[mod note - edited the ? from the title for you]

Playing: Everthing
Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

Post edited by Amana on

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    MMO's are dead to me.
    But that's a personal choice, I guess. There seems to be plenty of gamers who like the low wattage games made these days.

Once upon a time....

• Ka1j1Ka1j1 Member CommonPosts: 2
    that thread title is misleading.
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    MMOs are hardly dead.. and despite any negativity, MMOs (in one form or another) will continue for as long as mankind has computer technology and a need for entertainment.. :)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Ka1j1 said:
    that thread title is misleading.
    Yeah, I clicked it thinking I might find something new here. Same old posts, though. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Oddly friend and I picked up Defiance recently and been having some fun.  Still play SWToR as a foursome.  MMOs are not dead and not going to die.  As to what is upcoming, I am watching them all with interest as nothing specific has made me super excited but I am sure something will.  

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    MMOs are hardly dead.. and despite any negativity, MMOs (in one form or another) will continue for as long as mankind has computer technology and a need for entertainment.. :)
    ^ Yep
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680
    edited August 2015
    Oddly friend and I picked up Defiance recently and been having some fun.  Still play SWToR as a foursome.  MMOs are not dead and not going to die.  As to what is upcoming, I am watching them all with interest as nothing specific has made me super excited but I am sure something will.  
    I have given Defiance a look at several times but never gave it a go, at this point I wasn't sure if it was populated or not.

Hell I have been tempted to go back to Dark Age of Camelot at this point.

• sanatkumarasanatkumara Member UncommonPosts: 9
    If you're willing to sub [for at least one month] try Star Wars: The Old Republic. :) -The game has been largely patched since it's disastrous launch and first few years... and an xpac is due in Oct that is very story driven... SWTOR has tons of raids and PvP... and, importantly, [and why u should think of subbing just this once] there is a promo on until Oct 19th, that grants any subber 12x EXP from the main story quests... so you can fly thru to end-game, enjoying the story, effortlessly :) The movies and SW:Battlefront are out soon too... so SW will be a bit of a hot topic, try it! :)
    edited August 2015
    If you're willing to sub [for at least one month] try Star Wars: The Old Republic. :) -The game has been largely patched since it's disastrous launch and first few years... and an xpac is due in Oct that is very story driven... SWTOR has tons of raids and PvP... and, importantly, [and why u should think of subbing just this once] there is a promo on until Oct 19th, that grants any subber 12x EXP from the main story quests... so you can fly thru to end-game, enjoying the story, effortlessly :) The movies and SW:Battlefront are out soon too... so SW will be a bit of a hot topic, try it! :)
    I have a bad history with SWTOR, The only thing I enjoyed about the game was the story, once max level was hit it was a freaking joke, I couldn't stand the grind-WoW-Like PvP the game turned into(Current WoW Mind you not fun classic WoW), The PvP was boring and just felt terrible. Also coming from SWG the classes felt a lot alike, What I mean by this is the classes didn't feel different from each other they all felt roughly the same, unlike in SWG were the majority of all classes were completely different, They felt clunky and overall I did not enjoy the game especially due to the PvP. Was a fantastic game though till max level.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Think about this for a second.
    You still play SWToR as a FOURSOME.
    Yeah, I know, there's all those other players also playing as foursomes, or whatever their group size.
    But you are not playing a MASSIVELY multiplayer experience.

This is the common thing these days too.
    These are not MMO's. They are MMO's.

Once upon a time....

Think about this for a second.
    You still play SWToR as a FOURSOME.
    Yeah, I know, there's all those other players also playing as foursomes, or whatever their group size.
    But you are not playing a MASSIVELY multiplayer experience.

This is the common thing these days too.
    These are not MMO's. They are MMO's.
    That is the sad truth it seems like these days.

edited August 2015
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Take a deep breath... Welcome to the internet...

Anyhow, PvP you say? Can you be a bit more specific of what kind of PvP? Large scale, siege, skirmish, arena, etc? 
    Take a deep breath... Welcome to the internet...

Anyhow, PvP you say? Can you be a bit more specific of what kind of PvP? Large scale, siege, skirmish, arena, etc? 
    The internet, Thank you glad to be welcomed here after all these years, Anyways.

More specific, I suppose more like open world, Wouldn't mind any of what you said We love large scale, siege and skirmish and little bit of arena. I think we miss having options and miss real open world type pvp. I strongly miss RvR that DAoC had and classic open world pvp WoW had. Small scale Group Vs. Group pre-made type stuff.(balanced of course, but not balanced where everybody is the same class/spec)

edited August 2015
    A lot of the open world pvp games are pretty niche, if you're looking for the populous of World of Warcraft, you won't find it. 
    Darkfall: Unholy Wars is one to try -- though a bit of a grind until the fun begins. But it hits on that "same class same spec" edge. 
    If you can stomach some performance issues, Wildstar pvp may be up your ally, though open world pvp is non-existent (The pvp server is barren last I checked in).
    TERA might be one to try as well, though the community is far from friendly.

Other than upcoming titles (Camelot Unchained, Black Dessert, Crow Fall, etc) there isn't much out there that touches every aspect you may be looking for.

I've heard good things about Elder Scrolls Online pvp as well -- Though there are no battlegrounds/arenas it's a pvp zone with "open" and guild/alliance territorial based.  

Edit: H1Z1 I've heard good things of, though I know nothing of it other than hear/say. 
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    It is a bad topic title because he put a ? on end of it. He should not of been asking a question, it was a statement.
    A lot of the open world pvp games are pretty niche, if you're looking for the populous of World of Warcraft, you won't find it. 
    Darkfall: Unholy Wars is one to try -- though a bit of a grind until the fun begins. But it hits on that "same class same spec" edge. 
    If you can stomach some performance issues, Wildstar pvp may be up your ally, though open world pvp is non-existent (The pvp server is barren last I checked in).
    TERA might be one to try as well, though the community is far from friendly.

Other than upcoming titles (Camelot Unchained, Black Dessert, Crow Fall, etc) there isn't much out there that touches every aspect you may be looking for.

I've heard good things about Elder Scrolls Online pvp as well -- Though there are no battlegrounds/arenas it's a pvp zone with "open" and guild/alliance territorial based.  

Edit: H1Z1 I've heard good things of, though I know nothing of it other than hear/say. 

No, not exactly looking for the population wow had/has but something that isn't completely dead either (Like what I have heard that wildstar is, no one playing almost barren)

I have not played Darkfall since Unholy Wars was released, might be a good one to look back into.
    I already touched on at least what I read and am hearing about wildstar, It being barren and lacks population.
    I played TERA when it came out was fun, I enjoyed it I quit because my friends quit and the community wasn't that bad but I know what you are saying.... Not sure how I would talk my friends into playing that one.

I have heard ESO has been revamped,  which is good, is the PvP still segregated like it was on launch?

H1Z1, Yes we have hundreds of hours playing this, of course we mainly play BR when we are on it, same goes with ARK.

wyldmagik said:
    It is a bad topic title because he put a ? on end of it. He should not of been asking a question, it was a statement.
    I suppose you are right, In my head I was trying to ask a question but the way I wrote it was more of a statement. I apologize.

No need was just clarifying since the other guy pointed it out with more direct attitude :)
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Not gonna get better PvP than GW2 so you are out of luck friend.
    edited August 2015
    Lionexx said:
    I have heard ESO has been revamped,  which is good, is the PvP still segregated like it was on launch?

I don't know the answer to this question, I've only just begun playing it. 
    What do you mean by segregated? 
    edited August 2015
    Im not sure what he means either, maybe he means although you can pvp from lvl 10 onwards that the gear gap is the problem.

But then isnt that the point in leveling up the craft/skills? you play to get competitive at that lvl you want. Otherwise have more of you at lower skill to deal with someone bigger?

Dunno people seem to want even skill based pvp instantly and yet complain when the game is boring with nothing to focus on.
    edited August 2015
    There use to be a population limit of about 1000-1800(I don't remember the exact number) players per campaign. 

Edit: I suppose that really doesn't matter at this point honestly.
    Edit 2: I also felt like the game's classes weren't diverse enough, Maybe I am missing something...

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Lionexx said:
    I am looking for something solid to play with good PvP that isn't WoW or GW2. Does this exist anymore?

Have you ever tried EVE Online?
    Lionexx said:
    I am looking for something solid to play with good PvP that isn't WoW or GW2. Does this exist anymore?

Have you ever tried EVE Online?
    Been playing EVE since 2005. The thing is I can't get some of my friends into it or to stick with it, I recently quit due getting burned out in the last campaign my alliance did and the new 0.0 system.