Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More evidence TSW is ending development?

bauhau5bauhau5 Member UncommonPosts: 13
edited August 2015 in Secret World Legends
Just a few days ago TSW's comic book artist let everyone know it would be his last day. It would appear Mr. Legros has been with TSW since launch. On Mr. Legros' twitter page it mentions he is a freelance illustrator. Does this mean he knows something we don't about the future of TSW? Did he leave TSW because he knows he will be out of a job soon? Is issue 12 the last issue ever to be produced? What do you guys think.

https://twitter.com/JBLegros/status/632186428328439808

Comments

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    bauhau5 said:
    Just a few days ago TSW's comic book artist let everyone know it would be his last day. It would appear Mr. Legros has been with TSW since launch. On Mr. Legros' twitter page it mentions he is a freelance illustrator. Does this mean he knows something we don't about the future of TSW? Did he leave TSW because he knows he will be out of a job soon? Is issue 12 the last issue ever to be produced? What do you guys think.

https://twitter.com/JBLegros/status/632186428328439808
    If he's a freelance illustrator, it's probably per job.  So yeah he probably isn't making any more covers for them so his work with them is done.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Could also be they are cutting out extras to reduce costs and be more attractive to a potential buyer.  I don't think this alone signals any end to development in the game
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• bauhau5bauhau5 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Talonsin said:
    Could also be they are cutting out extras to reduce costs and be more attractive to a potential buyer.  I don't think this alone signals any end to development in the game
    I thought of this at first too but wouldn't they just keep him in the loop? Why would he say that it was his last day if he wasn't for certain he wouldn't be doing any more work for them. He's a freelancer, it's not like he is on a salary and is obligated to any company. Plus his concept work is so synonymous to TSW that losing him is a big blow to keeping future things consistent. 
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Maybe they found a cheaper illustrator. Saving a few bucks is saving a few bucks after all...
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Omg I literally just bought this game not to long ago im going to be so ticked being ripped off if they pull the plug I want my money back.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    moonbound said:
    Omg I literally just bought this game not to long ago im going to be so ticked being ripped off if they pull the plug I want my money back.
    They are just cutting additional costs - the game can run in maintenance mode forever.
    Also the next expansion has already been announced.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    bauhau5 said:
    Talonsin said:
    I thought of this at first too but wouldn't they just keep him in the loop? Why would he say that it was his last day if he wasn't for certain he wouldn't be doing any more work for them. He's a freelancer, it's not like he is on a salary and is obligated to any company. Plus his concept work is so synonymous to TSW that losing him is a big blow to keeping future things consistent. 
    It would be even stranger to give him inside information about the company's plans and then fire him so that he could go spill the beans on Twitter?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    There is a difference between "ending development" and cutting out costs that the company thinks are required to "run in the black".

We know Funcom is having financial difficulties. Why wouldn't they find ways to cut costs?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Or maybe, since Tokyo was the end of season 1 (or am I mistaken?), they are just planning to do things a bit differently for season 2 - new format, new style - maybe quit the "issues" thing for something new?
    DMKano said:
    Came here thinking there's actual evidence.

All I found was pure conjecture. 

Internetz.
    To be fair I used a question mark. The tabloids don't care to use those. 

Sovrath said:
    There is a difference between "ending development" and cutting out costs that the company thinks are required to "run in the black".

We know Funcom is having financial difficulties. Why wouldn't they find ways to cut costs?

Just speculation. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Talonsin said:
    Ok then how about triple a development?My gut says this game is dead,if by some miracle they can hold on for another 6 months or so they might "saying might is a long stretch" toss something real cheap together.

I have seen cheap updates content many times over with even successful games,rehashing old content,statistical changes you know small stuff that takes no team or effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Talonsin said:
    Ok then how about triple a development?My gut says this game is dead,if by some miracle they can hold on for another 6 months or so they might "saying might is a long stretch" toss something real cheap together.

I have seen cheap updates content many times over with even successful games,rehashing old content,statistical changes you know small stuff that takes no team or effort.
    I totally agree. I mean, the artist had been with TSW since launch. His illustrations are so synonymous with the release of content. TSW has always stuck to what they know and created a strong cohesion with it. Because their illustrious illustrator left (it's sad to see him go) I felt like this was a good indication that the development has suspended until further notice. 
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I could point to other reasons why the game is folding soon, lack of real content released ( uh half an issue, really?), the nickel and diming for content when they release an expac with little content (having to pay extra to have things to do in Tokyo after buying Tokyo?). Yeah I hope funcom folds soon so someone can actually develop the game.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    And in the nine months since this post was made, Funcom is *still* operating, and development of TSW is *still* ongoing (Issue 14 anyone?).  Sorry to disappoint... well no, not really.  

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    GR3NDEL said:
    And in the nine months since this post was made, Funcom is *still* operating, and development of TSW is *still* ongoing (Issue 14 anyone?).  Sorry to disappoint... well no, not really.  
    And the combat and skill system *still* sucks. And Funcom *still* doesn't realize that fixing those two things would make the game a lot more popular. A shame, because the story and setting are *still* freaking awesome. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2016
    Necromancy is a forbidden art.

EDIT: in before the lock

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    They also could have found an new artist. Cheaper or better.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    GR3NDEL said:
    And the combat and skill system *still* sucks. And Funcom *still* doesn't realize that fixing those two things would make the game a lot more popular. A shame, because the story and setting are *still* freaking awesome. 

The Developers with that kind of competence are long gone. Either fired way back or left themselves.

They were planning some combat revamps/optimizations 2-3 years back or so, but then another lay off round happened and after that we never heard about it anymore.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    could be as simple as he was hired to do X spreads of his art and they choose to not extend,

That is pretty common. 

This have been a good conversation

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Damned Necromancers ! :anguished: 

But seeing as I'm here, I think the TSW combat and animations will be redone right after the AO engine is completely rebuilt. Any day now... :D
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    I love the combat and the mechanics. Its the most fast-paced and fluid combat out there, no animation lag, no casting slowdown, everything is instant, and with the right build, the fights are very fast - but deadly. 
    Perfect for this game, the overly exaggarated critique of combat comes from people who played it for a few hours and refused to learn the system.

REALITY CHECK

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I played it for quite a long time. The skill build system was fun to figure out. The combat animations and animations in general were pretty weak.

So there goes that "few hours" theory.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    edited May 2016
    I played it for quite a long time. The skill build system was fun to figure out. The combat animations and animations in general were pretty weak.

So there goes that "few hours" theory.
    Since when animations define the quality of combat? It's not even a minor aspect of it.
    Combat is solely fluidity and mechanics. The criticism above in this thread was aimed at the combat -- not animations -- which, by the way, I agree are the weakest element of the game, nevertheless, the combat itself ranks among the best -- in my opinion.

REALITY CHECK