Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do violent video games make YOU violent?

1468910

Comments

  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,036
    Nanfoodle said:
    Read what I was replying to. @Phry was saying they dont use video games for training, that we only see that in movies. As for the violet part, go google it like I said before. Its all over the net.
    In other words, you made it up...
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,938
    edited August 2015
    Lucioon said:
    Does playing in Football makes you violent?

    I have hurt many people playing football. My coach used to tell us to crush people. So it can.

    Does weight lifting pushing against your limits make you crush things in your path?

    My wife often says I am why we can have nice things. Im big and break stuff all the time. Often even when I am trying to be careful. EDIT: also its fun breaking stuff with my hands people needs tools to do the same job. So yes again!!!

    Does racing games make you want to drift while driving normally?

    Yes and be honest, after playing a racing game you dont want to as well? We all want to be able to drive like that and yes, I have pulled many stunts in cars I should not of when I was a teenager. Not sure if video games was the reason. 




  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    No
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,938
    Gdemami said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Read what I was replying to. @Phry was saying they dont use video games for training, that we only see that in movies. As for the violet part, go google it like I said before. Its all over the net.
    In other words, you made it up...
    No, but its clear you cant read.



  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,036
    Nanfoodle said:
    No, but its clear you cant read.
    No, it's clear you can't back up what you say :D
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited August 2015
    Lucioon said:
    Does playing in Football makes you violent, Does weight lifting pushing against your limits make you crush things in your path, does racing games make you want to drift while driving normally, does indoor cart racing make you want to make sharp turns while driving normally. 
    Does watching horror films make you want to become murderers, does playing darts in a bar makes me want to shot darts into everyone around me. Does typing on a keyboard makes me want to type and spell everything I do. 

    Before anyone tries to connect violent games to violent behavior, please answer those above questions that I have listed. 

    Connecting violent games to violent behavior is like telling people that Rocket league will teach kids to use their cars to bounce balls around and hit each other while doing crazy stunts with their cars like flying in the air. 
    I don't think so but watching soccer seems to make you more prone to violence for some reason while actually playing seems to have the opposite effect.

    But 20 years ago a lot of people thought that playing D&D made you worship satan, many older people tend to worry that whatever younger people like is a bad influence. People have said it about Elvis and Mozart as well, against playing keyed fiddle and I don't know what.

    Breivik, who killed something like 70 teens in Norway played Wow but one can think that his Nazi ideology had more to do with him being violent that Wow.

    For some reason is it mostly religious people who complain about stuff like this, but maybe we should go right back at them and make a study if religion makes you violent. *Evil smile*
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,938
    Gdemami said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    No, but its clear you cant read.
    No, it's clear you can't back up what you say :D
    If you are to lazy to google it yourself as I have said its all over the net and confirmed in this thread by someone who is in the military or you cant read the context of what I wrote. Im done with you. Have a good day.



  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,158
    edited August 2015
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    The military uses violent games in training because a soldier is more likely to take the shot because of playing these violent reenactment warfare games. If it can change an adult how can we be so naive to think it wont do so with kids? 
    I strongly suspect there is other training involved.

    And is it that they take the shot because they "want to and have the desire to kill" or is it because it trains their reflexes to quickly recognize hostile from non-hostile targets?

    I strongly suspect the latter.
    I suspect its both. So with a kid who wants to be violent also reinforces this with M rated games that tell him its ok to be violent. Then parents wonder why he hit a kid at school.  
    But I suspect that is ONLY because that individual IS violent to begin with. As Iselin pointed out, these outlets just allow that individual to live out their little fantasies.

    If not video games it will be movies, if not movies then books.

    We have had violence as well as individuals with a predilection for violence long before video games or TV and even movies.
    Yes, video games is just one form of media that effects us. If you think media does not shape our thinking, then why do companies spend millions and millions to get 30 seconds of ad time at the Super Bowl? If media didnt effect us we would not see ads. Now think of the impact thats made on us in 30 seconds, think of the impact games, shows and more has on a kid over many years. If the kid is already aggressive in nature, what have you done? Nothing? Really? Now ask how many people are aggressive by nature? Gut reaction would say not many but our history is filled with violence. In the past 100 years we have killed more people in war then we did in the 2000 years of history before it. Is things getting worse? If the answer is yes, why? You can say video games have no part in it but I would disagree. 
    But the logic isn't there.

    by that logic all a company would have to do is spend some money for an ad and "clean up" as everyone would be "affected and motivated" to buy their products. As opposed to those products/services resonating with a person and then them making the decision to buy them.

    The premise is "Do video games MAKE people violent" and there is no evidence they MAKE people violent.

    The only caveat I see is that they can be an outlet for people who are already violent, as has been stated. Now, if "you" are affected by violent video games then I suspect you are one of the few who can claim that dubious honor.



  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453
    greenreen said:
    Careful guys, if we get violent in this thread someone will document it and I'm not talking about the NSA hehe
    Those PHD people seem to lurk around here always asking people to fill out surveys, you'll end up in some study next week titled "Does asking gamers if violent games make them violent make for violent discussion?".
    Replace "asking gamers is video games make them violent" with "trolling"

    Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,938
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    The military uses violent games in training because a soldier is more likely to take the shot because of playing these violent reenactment warfare games. If it can change an adult how can we be so naive to think it wont do so with kids? 
    I strongly suspect there is other training involved.

    And is it that they take the shot because they "want to and have the desire to kill" or is it because it trains their reflexes to quickly recognize hostile from non-hostile targets?

    I strongly suspect the latter.
    I suspect its both. So with a kid who wants to be violent also reinforces this with M rated games that tell him its ok to be violent. Then parents wonder why he hit a kid at school.  
    But I suspect that is ONLY because that individual IS violent to begin with. As Iselin pointed out, these outlets just allow that individual to live out their little fantasies.

    If not video games it will be movies, if not movies then books.

    We have had violence as well as individuals with a predilection for violence long before video games or TV and even movies.
    Yes, video games is just one form of media that effects us. If you think media does not shape our thinking, then why do companies spend millions and millions to get 30 seconds of ad time at the Super Bowl? If media didnt effect us we would not see ads. Now think of the impact thats made on us in 30 seconds, think of the impact games, shows and more has on a kid over many years. If the kid is already aggressive in nature, what have you done? Nothing? Really? Now ask how many people are aggressive by nature? Gut reaction would say not many but our history is filled with violence. In the past 100 years we have killed more people in war then we did in the 2000 years of history before it. Is things getting worse? If the answer is yes, why? You can say video games have no part in it but I would disagree. 
    But the logic isn't there.

    by that logic all a company would have to do is spend some money for an ad and "clean up" as everyone would be "affected and motivated" to buy their products. As opposed to those products/services resonating with a person and then them making the decision to buy them.

    The premise is "Do video games MAKE people violent" and there is not evidence they MAKE people violent.

    The only caveat I see is that they can be an outlet for people who are already violent, as has been stated. Now, if "you" are affected by violent video games then I suspect you are one of the few who can claim that dubious honor.
    Logic by who's standard? =-) Its clear you are a student of the people who teach media does not effect us. I have read the studies of both sides and I agree with the side that says its a huge impact on our formative years, with only a small impact on adults. I have read many studies on this and agree with them because I have seen it in application in real life. Its a logical as it gets. Not saying your side has not used logic you have just used it to find a different result. Thats the problem with logic, you can use it to paint what ever picture you want. In the end, we will know better over the coming next few generations. Only question to be answered, will things get worse? I think they will.



  • TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 153
    What about people who play healer classes?  Does playing video games make them more likely to be sympathetic and make them go into the medical field?

    Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

  • zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 197
    edited August 2015
    I have been playing video games since I was a kid, I wasn't violent then and I am not violent now and if anyone says otherwise I will find them and beat the living sh*t outta them........
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,938
    zerocount said:
    I have been playing video games since I was a kid, I wasn't violent then and I am not violent now and if anyone says otherwise I will find them and beat the living sh*t outta them........
    LOL



  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,158
    Nanfoodle said:

    Logic by who's standard? =-) Its clear you are a student of the people who teach media does not effect us. I have read the studies of both sides and I agree with the side that says its a huge impact on our formative years, with only a small impact on adults. I have read many studies on this and agree with them because I have seen it in application in real life. Its a logical as it gets. Not saying your side has not used logic you have just used it to find a different result. Thats the problem with logic, you can use it to paint what ever picture you want. In the end, we will know better over the coming next few generations. Only question to be answered, will things get worse? I think they will.
    Logic by the standard of x + y = z

    As was mentioned in this thread, if violent video games "made" people violent we would have a huge epidemic of people who were playing call of duty or some such thing. I don't know of any epidemic of violence where every person who played such a game became violent.

    If media "made" people do things then it would be easy for any company to hire an ad agency and be filthy rich.

    But, and at least I can attest to this though "your" mileage may vary, if I see an ad I don't automatically go out and do what the ad says.

    Apple just came out with the "apple watch" but not everyone has one, including me who is a fan of their products.

    There are car commercials everywhere but not everyone has a car just those who want/need one. That might be a large number but if an ad could "make" me buy a car then I and others I know who do not have cars would have them.

    McDonalds would be cleanign up but not everyone eats McDonalds and even their recent stock price has  gone down as more and more people are turned off by their type of food.

    But if all they had to do was take out an ad then everyone would be eating their food as much as possible. Remember, we are talking about "making" people do something not making people aware of something. Those are two different things.



  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,036
    Nanfoodle said:
    Thats the problem with logic, you can use it to paint what ever picture you want. 
    No wonder you think video games make people violent...
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    All of these psychopaths and serial killers watched TV. TV has become a lot more violent in the last 50 years. Does TV increase violence?

    I can make you a handful of studies that suggest that TV, Religion, Magazines, Music, Soda, McDonalds and many other things make people violent. Does that make them true?

    There is no correlation between Video Games and Violence. End of story.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    "It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

    "As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

    "I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 1,946
    No. I've been playing games my whole life and never once even thought of doing actual violent things lmao. Not at all in my nature. There's a lot of studies that have been going on on this subject for a long time and no evidence has come up, no patterns, nothing at all to indicate that video games make people violent. Most people have enough brain cells to draw the correct conclusions that what they see on a screen shouldn't be emulated in life. People who commit violent acts based off what they see in video games, movies, media in general always turn out to be people with severe, ongoing mental health issues that are totally unrelated. 

    Bottom line, there is NOTHING that points to video games making people do violent things, or even encouraging people to do violent things. It's not exactly how the brain works.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,938
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

    Logic by who's standard? =-) Its clear you are a student of the people who teach media does not effect us. I have read the studies of both sides and I agree with the side that says its a huge impact on our formative years, with only a small impact on adults. I have read many studies on this and agree with them because I have seen it in application in real life. Its a logical as it gets. Not saying your side has not used logic you have just used it to find a different result. Thats the problem with logic, you can use it to paint what ever picture you want. In the end, we will know better over the coming next few generations. Only question to be answered, will things get worse? I think they will.
    Logic by the standard of x + y = z

    As was mentioned in this thread, if violent video games "made" people violent we would have a huge epidemic of people who were playing call of duty or some such thing. I don't know of any epidemic of violence where every person who played such a game became violent.

    If media "made" people do things then it would be easy for any company to hire an ad agency and be filthy rich.

    But, and at least I can attest to this though "your" mileage may vary, if I see an ad I don't automatically go out and do what the ad says.

    Apple just came out with the "apple watch" but not everyone has one, including me who is a fan of their products.

    There are car commercials everywhere but not everyone has a car just those who want/need one. That might be a large number but if an ad could "make" me buy a car then I and others I know who do not have cars would have them.

    McDonalds would be cleanign up but not everyone eats McDonalds and even their recent stock price has  gone down as more and more people are turned off by their type of food.

    But if all they had to do was take out an ad then everyone would be eating their food as much as possible. Remember, we are talking about "making" people do something not making people aware of something. Those are two different things.
    x + y = z huh. Did you know movies today that fall under PG-13 would gets an R rating 15 years ago? Jaws that was R rated in the 70s looks tame by TV show standards today. IMO its like a frog in boiling water. You chuck him in and he will jump out. Now if you drop him in room temp water and slowly turn up the heat you can cook him to death and wont jump out. We are that frog and kids over the past few years are being fed violence on a level never done before. We have not had the time to finish the outcome of your equation. x + y = yet to be answered. I have used my logic to come up with what I think is coming. You have used yours to say all is ok. We will see who is right over time. 



  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Video games don't make me violent at all. I figure most people are rational and able to determine the huge difference between pixels and reality. Shooting someone in a video game and shooting someone in real life are so far apart there is a serious underlying mental health issue if your unable to separate the two.

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer



  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,036
    All of these psychopaths and serial killers watched TV. TV has become a lot more violent in the last 50 years. Does TV increase violence?

    I can make you a handful of studies that suggest that TV, Religion, Magazines, Music, Soda, McDonalds and many other things make people violent. Does that make them true?

    There is no correlation between Video Games and Violence. End of story.
    Title for new thread: Do people make TV, movies and video games more violent? And why can't we have nice things?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,158
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

    Logic by who's standard? =-) Its clear you are a student of the people who teach media does not effect us. I have read the studies of both sides and I agree with the side that says its a huge impact on our formative years, with only a small impact on adults. I have read many studies on this and agree with them because I have seen it in application in real life. Its a logical as it gets. Not saying your side has not used logic you have just used it to find a different result. Thats the problem with logic, you can use it to paint what ever picture you want. In the end, we will know better over the coming next few generations. Only question to be answered, will things get worse? I think they will.
    Logic by the standard of x + y = z

    As was mentioned in this thread, if violent video games "made" people violent we would have a huge epidemic of people who were playing call of duty or some such thing. I don't know of any epidemic of violence where every person who played such a game became violent.

    If media "made" people do things then it would be easy for any company to hire an ad agency and be filthy rich.

    But, and at least I can attest to this though "your" mileage may vary, if I see an ad I don't automatically go out and do what the ad says.

    Apple just came out with the "apple watch" but not everyone has one, including me who is a fan of their products.

    There are car commercials everywhere but not everyone has a car just those who want/need one. That might be a large number but if an ad could "make" me buy a car then I and others I know who do not have cars would have them.

    McDonalds would be cleanign up but not everyone eats McDonalds and even their recent stock price has  gone down as more and more people are turned off by their type of food.

    But if all they had to do was take out an ad then everyone would be eating their food as much as possible. Remember, we are talking about "making" people do something not making people aware of something. Those are two different things.
    x + y = z huh. Did you know movies today that fall under PG-13 would gets an R rating 15 years ago? Jaws that was R rated in the 70s looks tame by TV show standards today. IMO its like a frog in boiling water. You chuck him in and he will jump out. Now if you drop him in room temp water and slowly turn up the heat you can cook him to death and wont jump out. We are that frog and kids over the past few years are being fed violence on a level never done before. We have not had the time to finish the outcome of your equation. x + y = yet to be answered. I have used my logic to come up with what I think is coming. You have used yours to say all is ok. We will see who is right over time. 
    And there is no possible way that societal standards have changed? Maybe we have grown up as a society? Or maybe that has more to do with the business of movies and trying to get more people in theaters?


    Besides that has nothing to do with "making" people violent.

    Taking a person who has no inclination for violence and turning that person into a person who is violent. I think you will be hard pressed to prove that.



  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,938
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

    Logic by who's standard? =-) Its clear you are a student of the people who teach media does not effect us. I have read the studies of both sides and I agree with the side that says its a huge impact on our formative years, with only a small impact on adults. I have read many studies on this and agree with them because I have seen it in application in real life. Its a logical as it gets. Not saying your side has not used logic you have just used it to find a different result. Thats the problem with logic, you can use it to paint what ever picture you want. In the end, we will know better over the coming next few generations. Only question to be answered, will things get worse? I think they will.
    Logic by the standard of x + y = z

    As was mentioned in this thread, if violent video games "made" people violent we would have a huge epidemic of people who were playing call of duty or some such thing. I don't know of any epidemic of violence where every person who played such a game became violent.

    If media "made" people do things then it would be easy for any company to hire an ad agency and be filthy rich.

    But, and at least I can attest to this though "your" mileage may vary, if I see an ad I don't automatically go out and do what the ad says.

    Apple just came out with the "apple watch" but not everyone has one, including me who is a fan of their products.

    There are car commercials everywhere but not everyone has a car just those who want/need one. That might be a large number but if an ad could "make" me buy a car then I and others I know who do not have cars would have them.

    McDonalds would be cleanign up but not everyone eats McDonalds and even their recent stock price has  gone down as more and more people are turned off by their type of food.

    But if all they had to do was take out an ad then everyone would be eating their food as much as possible. Remember, we are talking about "making" people do something not making people aware of something. Those are two different things.
    x + y = z huh. Did you know movies today that fall under PG-13 would gets an R rating 15 years ago? Jaws that was R rated in the 70s looks tame by TV show standards today. IMO its like a frog in boiling water. You chuck him in and he will jump out. Now if you drop him in room temp water and slowly turn up the heat you can cook him to death and wont jump out. We are that frog and kids over the past few years are being fed violence on a level never done before. We have not had the time to finish the outcome of your equation. x + y = yet to be answered. I have used my logic to come up with what I think is coming. You have used yours to say all is ok. We will see who is right over time. 
    And there is no possible way that societal standards have changed? Maybe we have grown up as a society? Or maybe that has more to do with the business of movies and trying to get more people in theaters?


    Besides that has nothing to do with "making" people violent.

    Taking a person who has no inclination for violence and turning that person into a person who is violent. I think you will be hard pressed to prove that.
    Tell you what, when things start looking so bad you start saying. "What the hell is wrong with everyone" because riots are common and crazy is happening everywhere. Just remember my post =-) Happened to the Romans and we we are following the same social curve. A crash is coming.



  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,036
    Nanfoodle said:
    x + y = z huh. Did you know movies today that fall under PG-13 would gets an R rating 15 years ago? Jaws that was R rated in the 70s looks tame by TV show standards today. IMO its like a frog in boiling water. You chuck him in and he will jump out. Now if you drop him in room temp water and slowly turn up the heat you can cook him to death and wont jump out. We are that frog and kids over the past few years are being fed violence on a level never done before. We have not had the time to finish the outcome of your equation. x + y = yet to be answered. I have used my logic to come up with what I think is coming. You have used yours to say all is ok. We will see who is right over time. 
    So having moved violent rating implies peole being more violent...? Nope, there is no logic or sense in anything you said so far.
  • BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I was a teenager in the late 70's early 80's...  I played D&D, I played video games, listened to heavy metal, smoked, drank, smoked a few joints from time-to-time, had only 3 fights throughout all of Jr. High and High School, have tattoos, own guns, served in the military (Desert Storm Veteran) and I never killed anyone nor would I say I'm violent.

    All of that "entertainment" leads to violence is utter bull crap.  

    The only thing that would make me violent is someone threatening or harming my family or me.  

    Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

Sign In or Register to comment.