Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do violent video games make YOU violent?

Comments

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I agree that it may desensitize people to violence, but not to commit it. I also think your local news will do a better job with that. If anything I would think it would be a healthy outlet for naturally violent people.

I would take a closer look at modern pharmaceuticals before I would video games. Most of these troubled teens that have a violent shooting spree seem to be on medicine for a mental disorder. I remember not long ago a reading about a new sleeping pill and one of the side effects was 'sleep crime'. When it comes to mental health they haven't even found the equivalent of aspirin yet everyone seems to be on a pill for something emotional. Pay attention to most of the ads and it will say something like 'blahblahblah is THOUGHT TO work by blahblahblah'. Maybe we should figure out exactly what they are doing before feeding them to our kids.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Nanfoodle said:

...where is the violence part?
    CrazKanuk said:
    This is true. I actually have a friend who is a sniper in the Canadian army. Also, I work for a company that has done many simulators for military organizations. Not just urban combat sims. All kinds. However, this is no different than fire fighters burning down actual buildings or police officers running through their own drills, or any other means of practice. Did you know that you can't just go up on a plane and skydive? What do you do? You sit on the ground and go through countless hours of training simply on pulling your rip cord. Why? Because when you're put in a high-stress situation, you need to be able to perform as expected because other peoples lives are on the line. 

There is still a huge delta between a video game and real life. Also, most military people are being shot at, too. So that provides a little more motivation than one would normally have.

Oh! It should also be noted that in one of the more recent school shootings, someone with a mental illness had a readily-accessible semi-automatic weapon. I understand people kill people, but accessibility to the implements is a massive factor. 
    Video or real-life simulations provide neccessary training, that is a no-brainer but that isn't what Nanfoodle was talking about...
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Gdemami said:
    Nanfoodle said:

...where is the violence part?
    Read what I was replying to. @Phry was saying they dont use video games for training, that we only see that in movies. As for the violet part, go google it like I said before. Its all over the net.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Nanfoodle said:
    The military uses violent games in training because a soldier is more likely to take the shot because of playing these violent reenactment warfare games. If it can change an adult how can we be so naive to think it wont do so with kids? 
    I strongly suspect there is other training involved.

And is it that they take the shot because they "want to and have the desire to kill" or is it because it trains their reflexes to quickly recognize hostile from non-hostile targets?

I strongly suspect the latter.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    edited August 2015
    Phry said:
    Gdemami said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    The military uses violent games in training because a solder is more likely to take the shot because of playing these violent reenactment warfare games. If it can change an adult how can we be so naive to think it wont do so with kids? 
    Source...?
    Yeah really... Nanfoodle definitely needs a source here. 

The military definitely uses "video game" simulations for training, before even thinking about trusting personel to actually fly things like aircraft costing hundreds of millions of dallars per single aircraft. But I have not actually heard of this same method being used for actually shooting, that is what real life firing ranges are used for, for many reasons dealing with firing a weapon in real life.
    Training for modern militaries tend to involve actual physical activities, from live firing exercises on ranges, to blank firing exercises using life sized mock ups of villages, aircraft etc. Computer simulations are really the stuff of movies.
    We got all kinds of shit. There was a thing set up when I was deployed to Honduras with some sandbags and M16s with lasers in em and a huge bank of simulations they could put up on a screen in front of us. Hell, I don't know about other basic training places but where I was the first time we 'fired' at anything was pretty much the same thing with the rifles and lasers in them but we just fired at a simple projected target.

No. Games don't make you violent. Entertainment media has a negligible effect on us at best. Some people like to espouse that we're all mirrors which reflect all the stuff we've consumed but our actions and attitudes are choices we make rather than an index of the movies we've watched.

Edit- Also, are the soldiers taking the shot because the games have made them more violent or because the games have repeatedly had them taking the shot?
    edited August 2015
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    The military uses violent games in training because a soldier is more likely to take the shot because of playing these violent reenactment warfare games. If it can change an adult how can we be so naive to think it wont do so with kids? 

And is it that they take the shot because they "want to and have the desire to kill" or is it because it trains their reflexes to quickly recognize hostile from non-hostile targets?

I suspect its both. So with a kid who wants to be violent also reinforces this with M rated games that tell him its ok to be violent. Then parents wonder why he hit a kid at school.  
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Gdemami said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    This is true. I actually have a friend who is a sniper in the Canadian army. Also, I work for a company that has done many simulators for military organizations. Not just urban combat sims. All kinds. However, this is no different than fire fighters burning down actual buildings or police officers running through their own drills, or any other means of practice. Did you know that you can't just go up on a plane and skydive? What do you do? You sit on the ground and go through countless hours of training simply on pulling your rip cord. Why? Because when you're put in a high-stress situation, you need to be able to perform as expected because other peoples lives are on the line. 

There is still a huge delta between a video game and real life. Also, most military people are being shot at, too. So that provides a little more motivation than one would normally have.

Oh! It should also be noted that in one of the more recent school shootings, someone with a mental illness had a readily-accessible semi-automatic weapon. I understand people kill people, but accessibility to the implements is a massive factor. 
    Video or real-life simulations provide neccessary training, that is a no-brainer but that isn't what Nanfoodle was talking about...
    Oh yeah, and I'm saying that, for certain, there are simulations specifically designed to ensure that someone doesn't "freeze" up under stress. At the same time, I don't think that the military is "creating killers". I know plenty of people who have been through all of the training and still end up with PTSD, recurring nightmares, or are simply reduced to a crying man-child. No video game or simulation is going to "desensitize" you enough to be uncaring to not feel remorse. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I believe people are missing the point in a lot of cases.  As I mentioned it's the short term effective of possible making your grumpy, tense, tired, after playing a long session of video games that will temporarily leave you in a state where you may react with anger/aggression/lack of patience.  Generally if life you need a balance of things to keep healthy.  This is true of everything you do IMO.

In terms of the actually sex and violence I'm not sure how that has an impact.  It could influence you to perceive things in a certain way.  I have always had certain ideas like men should be tuff and shrug things off since when I was a kid.  I can never entirely shake that off.  I feel a man should act a certain way, but now have altered my attitude to accept people whatever they decide is right for them.  I've also realized how stupid it is to kill your body over some macho ideas.  Nothing is more important then health IMO.  It impacts you in every facet of your life.

Basically everything in life has an impact on your overall physical and mental health.  It's not simple controlling things with your mind.  It's controlling your overall lifestyle and figuring out what you want to be.  If you want to be a calm and healthy person then you likely have to do a lot of different things everyday to achieve that and it requires a great deal of discipline.
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I suspect its both. So with a kid who wants to be violent also reinforces this with M rated games that tell him its ok to be violent. Then parents wonder why he hit a kid at school.  
    But I suspect that is ONLY because that individual IS violent to begin with. As Iselin pointed out, these outlets just allow that individual to live out their little fantasies.

If not video games it will be movies, if not movies then books.

We have had violence as well as individuals with a predilection for violence long before video games or TV and even movies.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

If a person is open to suggestion it's possible.  Like the girls who stabbed another girl to appease slender man. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Caligula, Stalin, Hitler, Khan, Manson, Billy the Kid....... All without the influence of video games.  

For the sake of argument, let's say that a video game can cause someone to go crazy without some underlying cause.  I haven't heard of an epidemic of video game related violence.  So even if, it would be such a small percentage, as to be meaningless.  You cannot remove everything which causes a 1 in a 10000000 issue.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Hi all how are you doing? Here is the thing, I think it just depends on your mind, if you stay aware of it, then it should not affect you but just like kids being raised on mmorpgs it effects them into some negative way rather if it made them very anti social to being a douche all the time, there is plenty of evidence that the violence can affect you even more so to people who may already have issues, many parents over expose there kids and I personally disagree with this, you must find a balance of shelter and exposing.

But we are talkling just about the brain here, I think there is more to it then that but that is because of my personal experiences. I think if you are really concerned about this as a gamer you should test this out, stop playing violent video games and watching violent media for a week, try reading or playing some artistic games like deblob and see if your any happier.

I think the best thing you can do is be aware your constantly playing a video game, personally I do not want to come home after a long day and play something realistic, I want to play something fun and that makes me smile or interested.
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Flyte27 said:
    I believe people are missing the point in a lot of cases.  As I mentioned it's the short term effective of possible making your grumpy, tense, tired, after playing a long session of video games that will temporarily leave you in a state where you may react with anger/aggression/lack of patience.  Generally if life you need a balance of things to keep healthy.  This is true of everything you do IMO.

In terms of the actually sex and violence I'm not sure how that has an impact.  It could influence you to perceive things in a certain way.  I have always had certain ideas like men should be tuff and shrug things off since when I was a kid.  I can never entirely shake that off.  I feel a man should act a certain way, but now have altered my attitude to accept people whatever they decide is right for them.  I've also realized how stupid it is to kill your body over some macho ideas.  Nothing is more important then health IMO.  It impacts you in every facet of your life.

Basically everything in life has an impact on your overall physical and mental health.  It's not simple controlling things with your mind.  It's controlling your overall lifestyle and figuring out what you want to be.  If you want to be a calm and healthy person then you likely have to do a lot of different things everyday to achieve that and it requires a great deal of discipline.
    Well said. This is 100 percent truth.
  • Stayn2010Stayn2010 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Didn't read the thread, but to answer the thread title....What makes me violent is stupid questions by stupid people...I just kicked the neighbors puppy because of it....thanks.
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

But I suspect that is ONLY because that individual IS violent to begin with. As Iselin pointed out, these outlets just allow that individual to live out their little fantasies.

We have had violence as well as individuals with a predilection for violence long before video games or TV and even movies.
    Yes, video games is just one form of media that effects us. If you think media does not shape our thinking, then why do companies spend millions and millions to get 30 seconds of ad time at the Super Bowl? If media didnt effect us we would not see ads. Now think of the impact thats made on us in 30 seconds, think of the impact games, shows and more has on a kid over many years. If the kid is already aggressive in nature, what have you done? Nothing? Really? Now ask how many people are aggressive by nature? Gut reaction would say not many but our history is filled with violence. In the past 100 years we have killed more people in war then we did in the 2000 years of history before it. Is things getting worse? If the answer is yes, why? You can say video games have no part in it but I would disagree. 
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Does playing in Football makes you violent, Does weight lifting pushing against your limits make you crush things in your path, does racing games make you want to drift while driving normally, does indoor cart racing make you want to make sharp turns while driving normally. 
    Does watching horror films make you want to become murderers, does playing darts in a bar makes me want to shot darts into everyone around me. Does typing on a keyboard makes me want to type and spell everything I do. 

Before anyone tries to connect violent games to violent behavior, please answer those above questions that I have listed. 

Connecting violent games to violent behavior is like telling people that Rocket league will teach kids to use their cars to bounce balls around and hit each other while doing crazy stunts with their cars like flying in the air. 

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Nanfoodle said:
    Read what I was replying to. @Phry was saying they dont use video games for training, that we only see that in movies. As for the violet part, go google it like I said before. Its all over the net.
    In other words, you made it up...
    edited August 2015
    Lucioon said:
    Does playing in Football makes you violent?

I have hurt many people playing football. My coach used to tell us to crush people. So it can.

Does weight lifting pushing against your limits make you crush things in your path?

My wife often says I am why we can have nice things. Im big and break stuff all the time. Often even when I am trying to be careful. EDIT: also its fun breaking stuff with my hands people needs tools to do the same job. So yes again!!!

Does racing games make you want to drift while driving normally?

Yes and be honest, after playing a racing game you dont want to as well? We all want to be able to drive like that and yes, I have pulled many stunts in cars I should not of when I was a teenager. Not sure if video games was the reason. 

• DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    No
    Gdemami said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    In other words, you made it up...
    No, but its clear you cant read.
    Nanfoodle said:
    No, it's clear you can't back up what you say :D
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited August 2015
    Lucioon said:
    Does playing in Football makes you violent, Does weight lifting pushing against your limits make you crush things in your path, does racing games make you want to drift while driving normally, does indoor cart racing make you want to make sharp turns while driving normally. 
    Does watching horror films make you want to become murderers, does playing darts in a bar makes me want to shot darts into everyone around me. Does typing on a keyboard makes me want to type and spell everything I do. 

Before anyone tries to connect violent games to violent behavior, please answer those above questions that I have listed. 

Connecting violent games to violent behavior is like telling people that Rocket league will teach kids to use their cars to bounce balls around and hit each other while doing crazy stunts with their cars like flying in the air. 
    I don't think so but watching soccer seems to make you more prone to violence for some reason while actually playing seems to have the opposite effect.

But 20 years ago a lot of people thought that playing D&D made you worship satan, many older people tend to worry that whatever younger people like is a bad influence. People have said it about Elvis and Mozart as well, against playing keyed fiddle and I don't know what.

Breivik, who killed something like 70 teens in Norway played Wow but one can think that his Nazi ideology had more to do with him being violent that Wow.

For some reason is it mostly religious people who complain about stuff like this, but maybe we should go right back at them and make a study if religion makes you violent. *Evil smile*
    Gdemami said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    No, it's clear you can't back up what you say :D
    If you are to lazy to google it yourself as I have said its all over the net and confirmed in this thread by someone who is in the military or you cant read the context of what I wrote. Im done with you. Have a good day.
    edited August 2015
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Yes, video games is just one form of media that effects us. If you think media does not shape our thinking, then why do companies spend millions and millions to get 30 seconds of ad time at the Super Bowl? If media didnt effect us we would not see ads. Now think of the impact thats made on us in 30 seconds, think of the impact games, shows and more has on a kid over many years. If the kid is already aggressive in nature, what have you done? Nothing? Really? Now ask how many people are aggressive by nature? Gut reaction would say not many but our history is filled with violence. In the past 100 years we have killed more people in war then we did in the 2000 years of history before it. Is things getting worse? If the answer is yes, why? You can say video games have no part in it but I would disagree. 
    But the logic isn't there.

by that logic all a company would have to do is spend some money for an ad and "clean up" as everyone would be "affected and motivated" to buy their products. As opposed to those products/services resonating with a person and then them making the decision to buy them.

The premise is "Do video games MAKE people violent" and there is no evidence they MAKE people violent.

The only caveat I see is that they can be an outlet for people who are already violent, as has been stated. Now, if "you" are affected by violent video games then I suspect you are one of the few who can claim that dubious honor.