Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do violent video games make YOU violent?

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
Found this story on BBC about violence and violent video games.  It references mainly games such as Call to Duty, but MMOs are violent also.   You kill things, you chop of body parts in some of them, you assassinate, etc.  Plus in MMOs you have the fantasy escapism ala Mazes and Monsters (For those who get the reference) which some claim can also have a negative impact.

For the record, I think it is in large part hocum.  I imagine it can affect someone who is having other issues, but I don't believe it to be the cause. However, it is an interesting discussion which I thought I would share.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33960075

"More than 200 academics have signed an open letter criticising controversial new research suggesting a link between violent video games and aggression.

The findings were released by the American Psychological Association.

It set up a taskforce that reviewed hundreds of studies and papers published between 2005 and 2013."........

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    I grew up watching Looney Tunes. My favorite hobby is dropping anvils and grand pianos on unsuspecting passerby.

If any of these angry gamers try to get violent with me I'll just stick my finger in their gun barrel and gaze at an imaginary onlooker as it blows up in their face.

I don't think they dug deep enough. Should have taken a left turn at Albuquerque...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What always gets me about the studies that find a correlation between video game playing and aggressive behavior is that the obvious elephant in the room is never mentioned. Which is that there is much bigger historical and current correlation between religion and aggressive behavior often on a massive scale.

People who are already fucked up individuals will use whatever they have been exposed to and is handy when they create their dissociative fantasies. Very often it's warping of religious texts they have been exposed to, often, especially in soccer, it's pathological identification with a sports team, sometimes, as in the Colorado movie theater shooting a couple of years ago, it's associated with comic book or movie villains or heroes. So doh, sometimes their warped fantasies are associated with video games.

But it doesn't make video games any more of a contributor to aggressive behavior than team sports, religion, comics or movies. It's just fucked up people doing fucked up things. The articles claiming a correlation are just examples of shallow scapegoating.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    frostymug said:
    I grew up watching Looney Tunes. My favorite hobby is dropping anvils and grand pianos on unsuspecting passerby.

If any of these angry gamers try to get violent with me I'll just stick my finger in their gun barrel and gaze at an imaginary onlooker as it blows up in their face.

I don't think they dug deep enough. Should have taken a left turn at Albuquerque...
    I have to agree with this comment.  Cartoons are really violent.  Childrens stories have gotten better but the original versions were pretty grim.  I understand why.  If you live in the local forest you tell your kids horror stories because you want them to think twice before they go off to play in the woods alone.

Even when I flip through tv channels.  Crime stories about murderers.  Real life accounts of killers.  News stories of murders and shootings.  But like someone said, few stories about a group of mothers in Chicago who decided to patrol their neighborhood to stop violence  and how they reduced weekend shootings to zero when last year in the same area, there were ten.  

I've always found video games a good way to blow off steam.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Exposure to violence does not make you more violent it only desensitizes you to seeing violence.
    Stizzled said:
    Horusra said:
    Exposure to violence does not make you more violent it only desensitizes you to seeing violence.
    Exposure to violence in a video game doesn't desensitize us as much as studies like these would like us to believe. We've all seen someone's head explode in a video game, yet I imagine most of us haven't seen it in real life. I can promise that if we did we wouldn't just shrug it off because we witnessed it in a game.

You are taking an extreme example.  Study have shown that two people fighting that would have shocked people in the past is more ignored now.  The thought of using a gun more accepted.  The news of violent deaths does not disturb people as much.
  • GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224
    When I was a kid, me and my neighbors played "War" all summer long with water guns that looked like real guns, unloaded air guns, cap guns, laser tag, sound producing star wars guns, plus all kinds of sticks and poles that stood in for swords.   Our TV shows were Transformers, He-Man, and GI Joe.  None of us turned into violent criminals. 

There are times when I do have violent urges in response to being bullied (had someone harass me today when I stepped out of my car for parking illegally even though I have a parking sticker and have been parking in the same spot for six years).  At times like those my instinct is to throw in CoD and blow off steam by shooting things.  My gut feeling is that there probably is a connection between violent games and violent feelings for some people, but I wouldn't say it was causal, nor would I say it's necessarily any different than the connection between violent feelings and a desire to go to the gym, put on some gloves, and punch the heavy bag.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited August 2015
    I don't think they make you violent. But I do think that people who are already violent or under stress might be influenced by them.

Basically, I think a normal person doesn't get influenced by these games, otherwise you would have shootings on a far greater scale.

But someone who is already violent, I do think these people start to legitimize their actions through games, movies, culture, etc.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited August 2015
    Horusra said:
    Video games are nothing like real life. I played video games, and then spent time in a hospital helping victims of violence with traumatic injuries, it is nothing like in a video game.

The mental trauma is left out in video games. Video games do not deal with the human suffering.

The mental trauma and emotions do not happen during the violent event itself, they happen after the event took place, games do not deal with that, which is how they get away with the violence in the first place.

Real violence does desensitize you to violence, but video games do not, since games do not force you to face the consequence of violence.
  • ZephyrjinxZephyrjinx Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Only 2 things make you violent in life as you get older....#1 No discipline as a child which resulted in no respect for people "Society". #2 Too much abuse thought to be discipline as a child which results in hatred towards people "Society".  Anything else is an excuse for lack of #1 and too much #2.  

To often Society wants to investigate or study things like music, games and movies and determine that these things cause people to act in a certain way.  For me I believe that as an example those kids that horrifically killed their classmates in Colorado were lacking structure and discipline. Sure they were teased in school but who wasn't teased?  When they got teased to the point they couldn't handle it shows that they didn't feel loved at home and didn't have the discipline to rise above it.  

Just my opinion. 

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    *Crashes into thread.. guns blazing* *boom* *boom*

Wait.. What was the question?

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Absolutely. All violent imagery promotes violent feelings. In some more than others.

There have been plenty of studies measuring people's aggression before and after violent events; games, movies, music, images, what have you, and to some degree it happens in everyone.

I think the best observation of the phenomenon is surfing YouTube. Videos with violent content have much higher number of belligerent comments than those that do not... (above the baseline trolling anonymous internet of course.)

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    My neighbor pissed me off... I tried to force lightning him... He stared... I switched tactics and used a Jedi Mind trick on him... He went inside... WIN... Thank you SWTOR!
    Kiyoris said:
    Horusra said:
    Video games are nothing like real life. I played video games, and then spent time in a hospital helping victims of violence with traumatic injuries, it is nothing like in a video game.

The mental trauma is left out in video games. Video games do not deal with the human suffering.

The mental trauma and emotions do not happen during the violent event itself, they happen after the event took place, games do not deal with that, which is how they get away with the violence in the first place.

Real violence does desensitize you to violence, but video games do not, since games do not force you to face the consequence of violence.

Once again you are using extremes and not general.  Learning to be a solider does not desensitize you to the violence you will actually see in war it desensitizes you to the idea and the general things that happen in war (bombs in the distance, people shooting, the thought that people might dies) it does not desensitize you to an actually person sitting right next to you being shot.

Your idea would be the same as if I can drive then I must be a race car driver.  General to the extreme.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    mgilbrtsn said:
    The reason that academics have an issue with the results, is that the studies do not account for the natural effect of physical competition. Let me explain, if you take two people and test for aggression, then engage them in a physical competitive event, and test for aggression again immediately after, you will find an increase in aggression.  This is caused by a combination of physical activity, and the stress of competition. This is considered 'normal'.

Much of the research of video games shows results similar to competition, with light physical activity. However, this is not taken into consideration, as the video game itself may not be considered a physical activity. If physical activity (and reactions) are monitored, then the data does not provide any clear link.

There have been studies of WATCHING video games, compared to watching movies (or other visual mediums) that include high violence content. They do not show an increase in aggression, but rather a desensitization to additional exposure to violence in a similar medium. However, this did not provide a desensitization to violence if other strong sensory elements were present (smell/touch).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    frostymug said:

Nobody tell those guys about Tom and Jerry. They'll claim it's the reason for the crisis in the Middle East.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    edited August 2015
    Assuming that a nutjob who also happens to play games in addition to doing his nutjob things became a nutjob because of playing games is a fallacy. 

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    edited August 2015
    Absolutely every time I play a video game I bury another body in my backyard.. it's getting a little crowded back there got them packed in 20 deep in some spots.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Horusra said:
    Stizzled said:
    Horusra said:
    Exposure to violence in a video game doesn't desensitize us as much as studies like these would like us to believe. We've all seen someone's head explode in a video game, yet I imagine most of us haven't seen it in real life. I can promise that if we did we wouldn't just shrug it off because we witnessed it in a game.

You are taking an extreme example.  Study have shown that two people fighting that would have shocked people in the past is more ignored now.  The thought of using a gun more accepted.  The news of violent deaths does not disturb people as much.
    I'd be willing to bet that News programs desensitize people a whole lot more than video games. Even though the reality is that violent crime is much lower than 20-30 years ago, the news like to talk about it so much that it gives people the impression that it's only ever getting worse.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Found this story on BBC about violence and violent video games.  It references mainly games such as Call to Duty, but MMOs are violent also.   You kill things, you chop of body parts in some of them, you assassinate, etc.  Plus in MMOs you have the fantasy escapism ala Mazes and Monsters (For those who get the reference) which some claim can also have a negative impact.

For the record, I think it is in large part hocum.  I imagine it can affect someone who is having other issues, but I don't believe it to be the cause. However, it is an interesting discussion which I thought I would share.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33960075

"More than 200 academics have signed an open letter criticising controversial new research suggesting a link between violent video games and aggression.

The findings were released by the American Psychological Association.

It set up a taskforce that reviewed hundreds of studies and papers published between 2005 and 2013."........

It is a group who are anti-computer gaming who are trying to find any little spin they can make to convince idiots that this is true.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    No.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Sadistic mirth for pain makes me violent.

Semantically, talking to people that are adamantly wrong yet believe their logic infallible makes me want to be violent, but can't say I'm motivated to ever actually be violent due to another's stupidity, much less so if it's through or because of something like a game.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Horusra said:
    Stizzled said:
    Horusra said:

I'd be willing to bet that News programs desensitize people a whole lot more than video games. Even though the reality is that violent crime is much lower than 20-30 years ago, the news like to talk about it so much that it gives people the impression that it's only ever getting worse.
    While that might be true it is like saying a gun shot to the head kills faster than an untreated infection.  Both led to the same place.  As to the number or crimes...the rates per 100,000 people are lower for violent crimes.  Simple assaults and property crimes are higher.  As I said before I do not think this stuff makes people more violent for extreme stuff but people are more accepting of more simple violence like a fist fight.  
  • RiverBirdRiverBird Member UncommonPosts: 33
    All of that is crap, I've done a lot of studies and paper in school regarding the exact same issue. Here's a paper from my senior year in high school on the benefits of video games for people who tell you otherwise:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XcXaZoGjgRxt38TfpvcMtzbRIvayu8iQAzoFiCgPmcs/edit

Although some of the mass shooters across america were gamers, but young people in general are likely to play video games, 90% of boys play and 40% of girls play. According to 2001 US surgeons General’s report the leading factor to school shootings is mental stability and quality of home life, not media exposure. Studies done on showing how media has certain effects on people have been done, studies and experiments showing that media instills a violent behavior in the participant. But most of these studies have been done on a narrow basis, only proving that giving a violent kids like violent games, showing biased results and often unclear or done in a biased environment that try to skew a certain result.

I remember reading a study that compared children playing video games to young chimpanzees play fighting. children can distinguish between what's real and what's fake in a video game and in real life, and that children don't become more violent just by playing violent video games.

It's more so the fact that people who are violent by nature are the ones who play violent video games to begin with. The same kind of people probably watch violent movies and look towards the same kinds of movies or shows as those games for sources of entertainment.

Yes, video games can induce levels of violence in the player, the easiest example is when you're playing Call of Duty and you're telling at the television over frustration, this is often the main reason why people believe video games make people angery and make children more violent, but you all have experienced the same feeling, the feeling of being FRUSTRATED, not Angry.

Back when the television was first popular, and even when comic books came out people believed that those forms of media would make children more violent and have a negative effect on people. Yes, when comic books came out the media reacted the same, exact way as it does in this day and age regarding children safety and how comic books can induce violence in children. It's happened in every form of media that's every come up, violent movies that have gore are the very same, exact thing, but the media rarely looks at that and says "Oh, it has a bad effect on our children" which... it might, and it's the parents responsibility, as it is with video games.

You just have to wait 30-50 years till no one ever talks about it in the future. The next topic of debate in the future will most likely be virtual reality, in which they'll make random studies and claims that since you've living in the moment of committing violent actions you're most likly to commit violent actions but just be aware that it's a load of crap.