Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth starting this game again?

I played at release and had a level 31 bounty hunter. I enjoyed it I just remember it got a bit tedious and never did get to the level cap. I have no idea what the end game is like in this game but I remember the pvp being fun.  Is it worth starting back up this late in the game?  I know there's a new expansion coming and the trailer for it looks amazing.  I'm rebuilding my gaming rig this week and looking for an mmo to fire up.  Any comments, positive or negative, about the state of the game would be much appreciated.

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Answer:

People who like the game => Yes! You'll be glad you gave it a second go.
    People who don't like the game => No! You'll be wasting you're time giving it a second go.

Don't make a decision based on the sometimes extreme views expressed on here. Load up the game, play the ftp option for a while, see if you like it.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    http://http//www.torstatus.net/

I think this is the closest you'll get to finding out the actual population if that's an issue(remember there's nothing below light)
    But the best opinion I think you'll get would be yours i.e. since it's now freeish why not see for yourself?

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    The leveling experience hasn't changed much from launch.  If you go F2P be prepared to do all the quests you can find to help you level but if you don't mind subbing you get the benefit of only leveling through the main story quest due to 12x XP reward.  It even gives you loads of basic comms so you can upgrade your gear by using mods.  I've only recently gone back and enjoying it due to only doing the main quest and doing some PvP and flashpoints etc.
  • HitokirixHitokirix Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Sounds good.  I might just load it up and create a new character for a while and decide that way.  Are the expansions free or do you have to buy them?  That was a little confusing on their website and unless you subscribe you can't create a post there.  The reven expansion shows as $20 but the next expansion I thought I saw it was free if you subscribe? 
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I'm not too sure regarding some of the content expacs like the Reven one or the Hutt one but the housing and starfighter are included even if you are F2P.  I'm not 100% certain but I thought the new expac is free for everyone its just subs get to experience it earlier than the F2P players.
  • HitokirixHitokirix Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Sounds good.  Thanks for all the help.
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    I would say no.  Just look at the facts:

- Was forced into F2P very quickly due to poor sub numbers right from the beginning
    - F2P model is horrid.  They lock out almost everything even down to number of skill bars available to players...
    - Zero innovation to the industry.  It doesn't really feel like Starwars to me.  You aren't flying between galaxies or otherwise... You're sitting at loading screens.

There are newer games to play that offer all the same "stuff" with a more modern feel and less negatives.  Wildstar for example?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited August 2015
    IF you do start back up and haven't yet done so previously, use a referral link. Bunch of nice unlocks for those who are returning from past subscriptions.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    I tried again recently. Couldn't remember my character's story so I started fresh. Initially I thought "I don't remember why I quit". Two weeks later "I can't think of a reason to log in"
    Painlezz said:

- Was forced into F2P very quickly due to poor sub numbers right from the beginning
    - F2P model is horrid.  They lock out almost everything even down to number of skill bars available to players...
    - Zero innovation to the industry.  It doesn't really feel like Starwars to me.  You aren't flying between galaxies or otherwise... You're sitting at loading screens.

There are newer games to play that offer all the same "stuff" with a more modern feel and less negatives.  Wildstar for example?
    Does anyone else see the irony in this suggestion?

Lightly veiled sarcasm?
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Distopia said:
    I'm rolling a counsular right now, so I will be posting a new impressions of the game soon. I believe though the skill bar lock is a myth . If I remember correctly you can fet multiple skill bars ...
    IF you do start back up and haven't yet done so previously, use a referral link. Bunch of nice unlocks for those who are returning from past subscriptions.
    Aren't those unlocks character wide only...?
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    If you still have the game installed, there is no harm in giving it a second go.
    If you are looking to make a fresh start... The Harbinger is almost always filled
    I'm a light enough player so I wanted to hit a server that I could do things with others when I wanted, not just peak times.
    It does have a down side fighting several people Slicing on Yavin though

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Geesh i tried to restart a few times to see if i would get a favorable itch but instead i got bored real fast.Simple answer is no it is not worth it because imo it is a boring questing game.
    That is imo the problem with the game,it ONLY tries to be a linear questing game and is good at nothing else.Look at the two best Wow at least offers better quests and EQ2 has way more game depth,including housing,furniture etc etc.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited August 2015

Painlezz said:
     It doesn't really feel like Starwars to me.  You aren't flying between galaxies or otherwise... You're sitting at loading screens.
    Actually an instanced game with the occasional few minutes of space battle and load screens between scene transitions feels EXACTLY like Star Wars.

Star Wars, the movies, they transition in exactly that manner. One minute your watching a scene on one planet, the next frame or after an editorial transition you are then watching another planet or a space actions scene.

I would say Star Wars fits PERFECTLY with the experience of an instanced game.

Even if you look at it scientifically. In the movies, we aren't missing anything. It's not like they are on a ship "traveling" for any length of time as thought of in the traditional sense. No one person will ever just "fly between galaxies or otherwise". Intergalactic travel REQUIRES FTL travel or wormhole style traversal of space time. Even for those in the ship the few seconds/minutes/hours/days of FTL travel would be completely disorienting. No one is walking around on the ship or in the cantina like on Star Trek where the captain willy nilly utilizes the warp drive without a single warning to all the passengers aboard. This is of course based on our current understanding of physics, which is what I base  my comparisons on, not based on what may come. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited August 2015
    Gdemami said:
    Distopia said:
    I'm rolling a counsular right now, so I will be posting a new impressions of the game soon. I believe though the skill bar lock is a myth . If I remember correctly you can fet multiple skill bars ...
    I may be wrong but I believe some are account wide. I also didn't mean to reply to Dren..oops

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

You get a mail for every character on your account with the bonus package. In addition you get that same package for every character made.

Heck My new characters start with like 17 messages/packages in their mailbox since I've received several codes and I've been playing since beta
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Deasant said:
    Painlezz said:

Does anyone else see the irony in this suggestion?

Lightly veiled sarcasm?
      I think the Wildstar comment at the end was meant to indicate that it was a joke post anyway :D
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Housing was nice.  Came back for the first x12 xp event they had.  Nice not to have to do all the side quests to level.  Found travel times still long and tedious at times, even though they cut down on a lot of the long timers.  Worth it to try it out again.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Few months ago i had the itch for some single player RPG with good story. So i fired up the old star wars and had alot of fun just doing the story quest. It really is fun for that part of the game.

Then i decided to try a little pvp and quickly remembered how bad that part of the game was. and after my story quest where done for my character i really found no other reason to play the game, everything else is just bad.
    edited August 2015
    You get a mail for every character on your account with the bonus package. In addition you get that same package for every character made.

Heck My new characters start with like 17 messages/packages in their mailbox since I've received several codes and I've been playing since beta
    So if you used refferal code and were previous subscriber, are those account wide or just for 1st character you make?

• Unlock: Inventory Module
    • Unlock: Crew Skill Slot
    • Customization Control: Display Titles
    • Customization Control: Unify Colors

http://www.swtor.com/info/friends
    Account wide. As i said every new character I make starts with like 17 packages in the mailbox full of titles and promotion stuff from beta onwards. I just started a marauder, two mounts from cantena codes,  2 boxes of anniversary fireworks,  a ton of titles,  adaptive gear from the starfighter expansion,  ect
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Gdemami said:
    Distopia said:
    Gdemami said:

So if you used refferal code and were previous subscriber, are those account wide or just for 1st character you make?

• Unlock: Inventory Module
    • Unlock: Crew Skill Slot
    • Customization Control: Display Titles
    • Customization Control: Unify Colors

http://www.swtor.com/info/friends
    Character unlocks, so only for 1 character but you get the box on every character you make so every character will have them.
    Thank you both for clarifying!
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited August 2015
    Deasant said:

Painlezz said:
     It doesn't really feel like Starwars to me.  You aren't flying between galaxies or otherwise... You're sitting at loading screens.
    Actually an instanced game with the occasional few minutes of space battle and load screens between scene transitions feels EXACTLY like Star Wars.

Star Wars, the movies, they transition in exactly that manner. One minute your watching a scene on one planet, the next frame or after an editorial transition you are then watching another planet or a space actions scene.

I would say Star Wars fits PERFECTLY with the experience of an instanced game.

Even if you look at it scientifically. In the movies, we aren't missing anything. It's not like they are on a ship "traveling" for any length of time as thought of in the traditional sense. No one person will ever just "fly between galaxies or otherwise". Intergalactic travel REQUIRES FTL travel or wormhole style traversal of space time. Even for those in the ship the few seconds/minutes/hours/days of FTL travel would be completely disorienting. No one is walking around on the ship or in the cantina like on Star Trek where the captain willy nilly utilizes the warp drive without a single warning to all the passengers aboard. This is of course based on our current understanding of physics, which is what I base  my comparisons on, not based on what may come. 
    Running from room to room in your house will give you the same experience and that is not EXACTLY like Star Wars now is it? A game that is designed directly like a Star Wars movie would suck, because the things that work in a movie do not work in a game that you will be playing for more than 2 hours. SWTOR is not like Star Wars at all. 

Star Wars carries an amazing amount of weight of supposition from the moment a new viewer begins to watch it on the screen, SWTOR is more like a big nothing, because you can't eek enough horsepower from the average imagination to convince yourself that the lack of things to do is somehow indicative of a living and breathing universe. No, everything in SWTOR is done with the minimal amount of detail and interaction. The world in SWTOR is a lobby for the instances, and of course the instances don't interface with the world so they don't mean anything. In the movies, when something happens it has an effect on the story and the world that contains the story, the SWTOR software has no such continuity. To make a SWTOR-like movie we would watch Luke Skywalker go into a dungeon and beat the bad guy, pop out onto the fleet, and go do it again. Luke would then enter the PvP starfighter instance, or he would fly his ship from the outside for 2:55 seconds. At no time would anything change in the world, as a matter of fact when it comes to SWTOR, it's always sunny on Tattooine. I mean always.

A physics discussion doesn't belong any where near Star Wars. SW is more like a fantasy, and has not one toe based in any kind of feasible physics. There is a reason that Star Wars is a part of the culture of the planet, whereas SWTOR is just leeching off of it while doing nothing significant for the genre. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures