Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PROJECT:GORGON DISCUSSION

Comments

• NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213
    blows my mind that people line up for miles for game slike  blade and soul, where you can 'finish' the game in about a week and put up with zero community because the infestation of gold spammers, but won't try this game.     

this game is one of the best i have played in a very long time, especially for a game still in development. very deep and features you just don't see anywhere else.  i tried it at first and the graphics, movement , cave(back when it was in) turned me off and i didn't try it again for about 3 months.   gave it a real shot the next time, and was very impressed. 

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Still pumped for this one. With the addition of the new starter Island you can start to see where they're going.  Quality stuff!
  • AbscheulichAbscheulich Member UncommonPosts: 11
    About the two man dev team that I've mentioned and others have.. I think it's now more than two people.  On their forums the other day a dev said something along the lines of "I don't know where the two man deve team came from.  We are bigger than that but we're small." so perhaps it's progressed beyond the two who started it.  

This game, to me, isn't a throwback or a nostalgia fest.  It's the type of game that brought me to love true MMORPGS.  It's fucking tough, you die, you actually have to get gear to be able to kill mobs, bosses don't mess around and most curse you if you die or run away from them after engaging in combat.  You have unmistakable warnings about this when approaching a boss so it's not sprung on you.  I can't tell you how many times I've had my ass saved by people grouping up to down a boss who all had the curse (you can only remove the curse by buying an expensive rare drop from a player or killing the boss) or a high level player that.. guess what.. I had to TALK to.  This game is so much about working with others.  Sometimes I feel the grip of popular MMOs keeping me isolated and non communicative.  This game changes that and it's awesome.  

A few other points that make this game interesting:

Travel - You will learn to appreciate small run speed increases.  You can teleport somewhat but it's mostly recalling to a home binding.. but you have to do it from a teleport pad that are sparely located throughout the world.  For now you can also recall to the beginning of a dungeon or zone but that's it.

Small nuances - Best example is learning to have water on you in the desert zone.  If you get too dehydrated you will only be able to run at something like 50% run speed.  You can refill empty bottles with water to rehydrate but you have to find an oasis or well to refill them regularly and these - as with any desert - are sparse. 

Dungeons - Not instanced, so you have many players running around.  Mobs are typical tag style for loot but bosses drop loot for everyone who contributes.

Skill matchups - You get two skills to use at one time.  You can use fire magic/sword, hammer/mentalism, mentalism/fire, archery/battle chemistry (my favorite), animal handler/necromancer... anything you want.

No leveling - You only level skills for the items you want.  In contrast to most mmopgs out now you're not limited to anything.  However, your skills and gear mods (sort of like enchants) determine the difficulty of mobs you can kill.

Absolutely no hand holding - As stated before, this game is tough.  I believe I've died 315 times in about 12 days of play time (my account is 3 years old).  Some of this is due to the alpha stage of the game and the clunky-ness that comes with it, but I've overstepped my abilities quite often and have paid the price.  Sometimes I find myself getting frustrated that I have to actually read what little information you get for a quest (if you get any at all) but then once I figure it out I find it more enjoyable.  You can sell stuff on consignment but it's limited to how much favor you have with the NPC (there's no auction house).  Different NPCs buy different items from you and have limited amount of currency (see favor below for more info).  

Everything makes sense! - This goes with questing.  You get little information but you have to actually use some common sense.  One quest I have says I need to get "bone hooks" but the quest actually says "I don't know where you'd find them" and that's it.  I tucked the quest away (questing isn't that important) and eventually came across a "hook monster" or something and though "yea, that's where I probably get that" and that's where it was!  Need ice cores?  Probably try killing ice elementals.

No required questing - There's one or two quests you probably want to do but I rarely do quests.  If I find a quest item while out in the world I'll go ahead and grab it but this game so far is not centered around "go here, kill X, come back".

Favor - Favor is interesting in that it opens up quests for NPCs or more importantly, it increases what NPCs will buy and increases their money pool available to you.  This is very important as merchant NPCs have a limit of gold available to you and it resets every 7 days.  So for example, if you sell enough to a vendor to get their 70k game currency in one day, they won't have that available again until 7 (maybe 10) days after you sold them all that stuff.
  • F2Pelerin118F2Pelerin118 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I've been playing this over the last couple of days and it's awesome, still haven't left the beginning island yet though.

For a game in Alpha, I find this more impressive than many recent MMORPGs.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    This has been in beta for a few years now....Last time I tried it the game was down alot....I remember liking a few things about it and not liking a few things about it....Being turned into a cow, pig, spider, etc was not enjpyable for me...just not something I enjoyed.....ALso felt like I was running out of content around level 20+ but I dont remember that well in this particular game.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    I've been reading up on this game.
    It sounds like there's a lot more to come yet to make it complete, but that there's a lot already in.
    It does look very interesting and fun.
    I don't know how these guys do it. They are way ahead of similar attempts at making an MMO.
    They seem to have very active imaginations and game making skills. I'm really impressed.
    Maybe that's why they are accomplishing so much "game" so fast.

Honestly, by the time this game goes to release it looks like it's going to be an unbelievable blast to play. 

Once upon a time....

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321
    edited March 2016
    The game looks very interesting. I know the graphics aren't up to date, but being it's only in very earlier stages of development lots can change, especially with graphics. My question is the price. MMORPG.com has it listed for Free and I know you can download it and play it for free right now, but I just read that during the actual launch it would have a price tag. So what exactly will the game cost? Is the pay model set in stone or is there a chance it could go free 2 play with a cosmetic only cash shop? Is there an ETA on launch currently?  With there be a full wipe at launch? 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AngryElfAngryElf Member UncommonPosts: 194
    It makes me hopeful that they have a priority structure that doesn't put graphics at the top.  Aesthetics can be upgraded without fundamental game change and should always be later in a good design.  
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    The way you guys talk about this game makes it sound good, but everything I read and everything I see is everything but good.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• kimochiikimochii Member UncommonPosts: 7
    The game looks very interesting. I know the graphics aren't up to date, but being it's only in very earlier stages of development lots can change, especially with graphics. My question is the price. MMORPG.com has it listed for Free and I know you can download it and play it for free right now, but I just read that during the actual launch it would have a price tag. So what exactly will the game cost? Is the pay model set in stone or is there a chance it could go free 2 play with a cosmetic only cash shop? Is there an ETA on launch currently?  With there be a full wipe at launch? 
    It will be Buy2Play when they release it (early access) on Steam, which according to current estimations is a month or two away. The cheapest kickstarter tier was $25 I think, I wouldn't expect it to cost much more than that and optional subscription will give more character slots and some other bonuses that haven't really been finalized but will be entirely optional. Pretty much no chance it will become f2p with cosmetic shop considering the size of the team (like 1.5 developers) and the type of community they are trying to build.

Their successful kickstarter had the majority of the money budgeted for graphic updates and part of the reason a Steam release hasn't happened yet is they spent a long time porting it from Unity 4 to 5 which by itself gave several decent graphics options so even though graphics isn't the priority, it's still on the list. Contracting some high quality graphics and adding in some sweet shaders on top of a working game is much easier than a lot of these games that make one small tech demo with eye candy for their kickstarter and then fail completely at making a game afterwards.

It's still free to download and play until the Steam Release so no excuse not to give it a try if any of it sounds interesting, just remember it will not give you big exclamation marks and quest arrows and tell you everywhere to go, it expects you to think, explore and interact with the community. People who never experienced the more old school style mmo's might find this unusual.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    So far I enjoy it, but I can only stomach it in small amounts.  I love the way everything is done but I think it's the combat that bores me.  I wish them all the best, and I'll be checking it out when it finally releases.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    I tried to sign up for their forums the other day, but never got the e-mail.
    My e-mail was correct.

Once upon a time....

Quirhid said:
    The way you guys talk about this game makes it sound good, but everything I read and everything I see is everything but good.
    If you liked old school games like EQ1, AC, and FFXI you'd probably like it...If newer games are more your thing I dont think you'd like it.
  • BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321
    edited March 2016
    kimochii said:
    It will be Buy2Play when they release it (early access) on Steam, which according to current estimations is a month or two away. The cheapest kickstarter tier was $25 I think, I wouldn't expect it to cost much more than that and optional subscription will give more character slots and some other bonuses that haven't really been finalized but will be entirely optional. Pretty much no chance it will become f2p with cosmetic shop considering the size of the team (like 1.5 developers) and the type of community they are trying to build.

Their successful kickstarter had the majority of the money budgeted for graphic updates and part of the reason a Steam release hasn't happened yet is they spent a long time porting it from Unity 4 to 5 which by itself gave several decent graphics options so even though graphics isn't the priority, it's still on the list. Contracting some high quality graphics and adding in some sweet shaders on top of a working game is much easier than a lot of these games that make one small tech demo with eye candy for their kickstarter and then fail completely at making a game afterwards.

It's still free to download and play until the Steam Release so no excuse not to give it a try if any of it sounds interesting, just remember it will not give you big exclamation marks and quest arrows and tell you everywhere to go, it expects you to think, explore and interact with the community. People who never experienced the more old school style mmo's might find this unusual.
    I've been playing it the past 2 days and I have to say it's a really fun MMORPG. It definitely doesn't hold your hand and I think it's great to see that. I'm a huge fan of exploration since GW2 so I'm enjoying it a lot in Project Gorgon. Seriously this game is a hidden gem. I've had more fun in 2 days playing this than I did in months of playing some of the biggest AAA MMORPGs out there. 
    Funny that many of you didnt know about this game...Its been in alpha for a few years now.
  • DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    I do also enjoy this game. I've not liked any of the new mmorpg's in ages. But this one is interesting to me.
  • LhyrLhyr Member UncommonPosts: 6

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Just started playing it and liking it a lot.  The grouping aspect as well as grouping UI needs to be looked at but loving the customization of your character as well as how imbalanced all the skills are but that's what is great about it.  I believe balance between classes are boring and basically ends of making all classes, jobs, archetypes, etc play the same with different graphics and skill names.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Game is made with passion 
  • UruketoUruketo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    From the looks of every thing I think I will be checking this game out.

Uruketo, 70 Bard/Ninja/Warrior
    <Grievance> Free Company
    Final Fantasy XIV - Midgardsormr
    http://www.grievancegaming.com/

• AbscheulichAbscheulich Member UncommonPosts: 11
    The game is okay.  I've posted about it before in more detail, but as I've gotten deeper into it over the last 3.5 years of playing I've realized it's just a different brand of treadmill.  

Almost every crafting skill requires you to have every other crafting skill.  This isn't just for materials from those other skills either.  Need 54 crafting skill for the best recipe?  Well, you need to get the bonuses from completely different skills maxed out to get the bonus point applied to the original skill you were after.

"End game" gear is a joke.  While it's nice to be able to remove mods (enchantments in other games) from gear, you can only get one mod off per item before it's destroyed.  Want to upgrade your gear and put your new mods on it?  Too bad, you can choose one and then it's time to redo the entire gear grind that has you praying for mercy to the RNG Gods.  

Let's also not forget Eric/Citan/the main developer's knack for flying off the handle and banning people.  No, I don't mean the time he banned literally half of the population for finding an egregious chest bug in one of his patches, in which he gave some of the most veteran players a 1 year ban in a knee jerk reaction, then told them it was the "default" ban time but hasn't given any new information about it in two months while everyone is still banned...

I'm talking about banning people for a few hours at a time for purely player interactions (such as people not burying corpses so they respawn faster which led to two people arguing, even though the one who wanted them buried has the option to bury them himself, and the main dev banning the non-burying member immediately).

Or doing things like implementing cheap tactics for making combat last longer such as having main damaging abilities randomly miss at least once per fight.

This game has great potential, but it's going in a very bad direction.
  • Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    I was reading their page.... I can't bring myself to  play MMORPGs that change your skill set / class based on weapon you're wielding.

It just makes no sense.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    I was reading their page.... I can't bring myself to  play MMORPGs that change your skill set / class based on weapon you're wielding.

It just makes no sense.
    It actually make completly sense to me. Never wielded a axe or a sword irl, but I imagine you fight with them differently. So I do not think it is wierd that you channel your magic differently with those weapons as well. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    hercules said:
    Game is made with passion 
    So? The only question matter to me is whether it is fun, subjective to me.