Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finding an MMO

ghoststrykrghoststrykr Member UncommonPosts: 6
I bet that these threads are a dime a dozen, but I need help with this. I'm looking for an MMO with a decent amount of exploration that also has some interesting quests as well as reasonably satisfying combat. So far I have tried:

City of Heroes: played from F2O to shut down. Loved it. didn't get to far but damn do I miss it.

TERA: combat was nice but the rest of the game just felt odd.

Guild Wars 2: made it to the level cap and then quit because I just burned out. Lack of actual quests aside from your main story as well as just general apathy made me bail after awhile. I may try getting back in with the expansion...

DarkFall Unholy Wars: I tried the demo a few months ago. Fun in theory, incredibly empty and hostile in practice. Definitely headed in the right direction though.

Champions Online: it just felt meh.

Skyforge: Currently in the tutorial, but this one feels like all style, no substance. 

Dungeon's and Dragons Online: I played this when I was a bit younger, and my computer had trouble with it. I think I stopped because I ran out of free content.

Neverwinter: Got to around level 40 at launch, then lost like six levels in the rollback due to the exploit that screwed the economy and just quit. The grind was starting to get to me, and the really long walk to turn in quests in the main city that seemed designed to FORCE you to pay real money for a fast mount just made me uninstall the thing. I love the combat though.

FFXIV: I never made it past the tutorial in the demo. It just confused me to no end and I didn't care for the art style.

Defiance: The sheer repetitiveness of it killed it for me after ten hours.

Elder Scrolls Online: The beta was so unfun that I never considered buying it.

Vindictus: this game is not massively anything but grindy. Do not want.

I'm sure there have been others that I have forgotten, but those are the big ones. As far as single player games that I enjoy go, I am a huge fan of the Souls series of games, and also really enjoy The Witcher series. As far as my next shot at MMOs goes, I am currently considering Shroud of the Avatar, but I'm not sure if I want to get in so early. What I do know is that I really would rather not pay a monthly subscription because I am a poor college student. So, any suggestions?

Comments

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    edited August 2015
    Have you tried Archeage? it's F2P. If you like it, you can sub and do whole Housing/crafting thing.
    They will add 1 new server pr region in September. Everyone will start from Zero, so it's an opportunity to start fresh with everyone else.
    Post edited by Jonas_SG on
  • Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    edited August 2015
    Black Desert  Open beta will come in October/November to RU.  One would be able to try it for free i think.
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    I was turned off by the graphics right from the start when I played Project Gorgon. But I gave it a chance, I found the game to deliver some of the most fun I have had in years in an MMO. The combat is great and the game has real depth, but you do need to have the desire to explore the content, cause nothing is for free, well except the game alpha, thats completely free right now.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Depends on what your prefence is. Since you like Darkfall , perhaps the Chronical of Elsyia will be up your alley when it goes into beta or whatever.

Other than that there aren't any good sandbox mmos out there since most of them are flawed in huge ways.

MurderHerd

• ghoststrykrghoststrykr Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Jonas_SG said:
    Have you tried Archeage? it's F2P. If you like it, you can sub and do whole Housing/crafting thing.
    They will add 1 new server pr region in September. Everyone will start from Zero, so it's an opportunity to start fresh with everyone else.
    I've considered it, but from everything I've heard it sounds to be in a pretty dire state.

Mitara said:
    I was turned off by the graphics right from the start when I played Project Gorgon. But I gave it a chance, I found the game to deliver some of the most fun I have had in years in an MMO. The combat is great and the game has real depth, but you do need to have the desire to explore the content, cause nothing is for free, well except the game alpha, thats completely free right now.
    I'll definitely give it a shot.
  • XantheAvalonXantheAvalon Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Avalon: The Legend Lives has amazing PVP combat, over 12,000 locations to explore and tons of quests. A little different being a text based RPG but incredibly immersive. It is free to play through city or guild sponsorship so won't put a dent in your wallet. http://www.avalon-rpg.com/

(Kylan and Xanthe on Avalon, www.avalon-rpg.com, since 1996)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    I'm looking for an MMO with a decent amount of exploration that also has some interesting quests as well as reasonably satisfying combat.

Age of Conan.  Some interesting quests (I thought Tortage was fantastic), exploration (sort of... it's on rails during Tortage, then changes), satisfying combat (it's sort of actiony, some dislike it, I thought it was fun).

F2P, decent eye candy even for being older, client can be a bit buggy (others said it was fine, for me it was frequently bugged).

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TreskatayTreskatay Member UncommonPosts: 5
    @ghoststrykr I bet the GW2 will be right up your alley.
  • KaspanovaKaspanova Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited August 2015
    The Secret World

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    The Secret World I would say too, or rift, for interesting quests even GW1 but the combat of each of them is a hit and miss for a lot people.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Project Gorgon is pretty cool so far.