Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDR3 vs. DDR3L ???

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
What's the deal with DDR3L memory?

I have an Acer laptop, 20011 model year, celeron 2 core.  The documentation just says DDR3 memory.

I was looking at RAM on newegg.  I want to upgrade to max, which is 2 x 8 GB sticks.  I picked out a highly rated memory with good price, but in looking at it I noted that it's marked DDR3L instead of DDR3.

I know L is for low voltage.  I don't know if my laptop will work with low voltage RAM.

Any tips on how I can find out?  Should I look for RAM that doesn't have the DDR3L identification?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited August 2015
    DDR3L is only compatible with Sandy Bridge or newer i3 or higher.  It is *technically* backward compatible with processors that don't support Low Voltage, but if the motherboard and processor don't support it, performance may suffer.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Helpful, thanks!  That saved me a headache.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited August 2015
    Most DDR3L RAM is designed to work both at low voltage mode, and at standard 1.5V voltage used by normal DDR3 RAM. Just check the technical specifications of your chosen RAM and find out if it supports 1.5V voltage. Chances are that it will support it, which means you'll be able to use it at normal DDR3 slot. You'll likely need to go to RAM manufacturers website to find out about all supported voltages of the RAM.

But I'd question your choice of trying to put 16GB of RAM into a Celeron dual core laptop that's several years old. 8GB of RAM is normally enough even for a modern and good gaming computer, you'd have to be putting your old Celeron laptop to some really unusual use to benefit from having 16GB of RAM.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    edited August 2015
    Vrika said:
    Most DDR3L RAM is designed to work both at low voltage mode, and at standard 1.5V voltage used by normal DDR3 RAM. Just check the technical specifications of your chosen RAM and find out if it supports 1.5V voltage. Chances are that it will support it, which means you'll be able to use it at normal DDR3 slot. You'll likely need to go to RAM manufacturers website to find out about all supported voltages of the RAM.

But I'd question your choice of trying to put 16GB of RAM into a Celeron dual core laptop that's several years old. 8GB of RAM is normally enough even for a modern and good gaming computer, you'd have to be putting your old Celeron laptop to some really unusual use to benefit from having 16GB of RAM.

Helpful.  Thanks!

I'm testing to see how the old (2005 era) MMO server software adapts to having lots of RAM.  Zones populate at server start, then go zombie (minimal CPU use) until a player needs it.

This is the only machine I have that'll take that much RAM.  My old HP/Compaq machines max at 2 gigs.  They're faster when clustered, but killer on heat and electricity.