Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potential new player ... some questions

jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
Longtime LOTRO player here, since 2009 ... played SWTOR off and on for the last couple of years as well ... tried ESO but found it a bit too bland ...  Am looking for a fresh start in a new fantasy world with plenty of intelligent PvE content, and a great epic storyline.  I do not know anything about the lore behind Final Fantasy.  Will this be a hindrance ?

Also, I see that the game is B2P.  Is there a subscription fee as well I have to account for ?

Mog Station really isn't the best of account management sites, I must say.  That is one thing I have noticed up front.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can give. :)

Travis

Comments

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    P.S.  If there is a subscription fee -- what are the options ?

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Yes its a sub game here is the options:
    Membership TierSubscription LengthMonthly PriceMax Characters per ServerMax Characters
    Entry30 days$12.99 *18
    Standard30 days$14.99 *840
    90 days$13.99 *
    180 days$12.99 *

* All subscription fees are subject to change in accordance with the terms of the FINAL FANTASY XIV User Agreement

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    edited August 2015
    The box come with 30 free days and at least in my case, it costed LESS than a month of subscription :pleased:
    But yes, you need box + monthly subscription. Keep in mind FF XIV is the second biggest MMO globally after WoW. It also has a cash shop for mounts, pets, race changes and weddings.

Of course there is also Heavensward, the new expansion, but it has exactly 0 content for new players, beside the new race, the Au Ra. So if you do not care about making one of those, you do not have to buy the expansion until much later.

There is no such a thing as the "lore" of Final Fantasy as each Final Fantasy usually take place in different worlds with different stories (only exception is FF XII that takes place in the world of FF Tactics). The lore of this FF is not very well defined outside the game, but you will be immersed in several stories setting the tone and the theme of the world.

The story is very important here and will lead you to mandatory dungeons and encounters you cannot do alone, so be advised that while there is plenty of solo content, this is very much a group game.

Combat is fairly standard tab targeting, so do not expect any of the latest "actiony" combat like in GW2 or even Wildstar. It is traditional with tank, dps and healer roles well defined and needed to go through group content, however, you can switch class at any time and so you do not necessarily need to make many characters alt if you do not want to. Leveling up characters is not fast and you need to start from 0 every time you want to start a new class, but without the world story quests, which can make it a bit difficult.

However, there are plenty of other things to do, like dynamic events, dungeons, group quests and so on. Also abilities you gain in classes can be used by other classes, for example the Thaumaturge ability "Swift Cast" that permit you to cast a spell instantly, is very much useful to ANY caster class, so you will see many players with Thaumaturge at level 26 even if they do not want to play a caster DPS.

Crafting follows the same process, each different type is a class in its own right and there is a quite deep mini-game for it also going with the same principles that you gain cross-class abilities by leveling up other crafting classes.

Finally, be advised that before accessing the Expansion pack content, you need to finish the "vanilla" content and all the patches that came before the expansion, this might take a while but by all accounts, it is very much worth your while.
    Also the graphics, sounds and all production values are OVER THE TOP! this is one pretty game.

For a quick comparison, this would be like if before accessing Outlands in World of Wacraft, you would need to complete all level 60 dungeons in order and go through all the possible events released before the expansion, it does not require you to do raids, at least I do not think so. Also much of the top level content is item-level gated and this used to be a problem, but ilevel from quest rewards has been greatly increased with the expansion, so you should not need to do any "side" content to access the expansion.

For full disclosure, I played FF XIV for a couple of months, got a Paladin in the level 40-ish and all crafting classes to at least level 20 with many higher than that, so I never experienced the expansion material.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Longtime LOTRO player here, since 2009 ... played SWTOR off and on for the last couple of years as well ... tried ESO but found it a bit too bland ...  Am looking for a fresh start in a new fantasy world with plenty of intelligent PvE content, and a great epic storyline.  I do not know anything about the lore behind Final Fantasy.  Will this be a hindrance ?

Also, I see that the game is B2P.  Is there a subscription fee as well I have to account for ?

Mog Station really isn't the best of account management sites, I must say.  That is one thing I have noticed up front.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can give. :)

Travis

if u are a LOTRO player u will feel kinda like home , FFXIV uses a mission system similar to Lotro books , following the story while questing across the world , solo instances to explain the story ect.

the game is P2P , u get 30 days buying FFXIV:ARR , really cheap , but u can play the trial , so go ahead , download it and play !

http://ffxiv-freetrial.com/

p.d lol the link doesnt feel like legit but its

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Good comments in this thread. What Volkmar says matches my experience and perception of the game so far. I'm pretty new and still in my first month. I have a Gladiator to 23 also with Conjurer to 15. I'm going for a Paladin since I want to tank my way through the group content.

Like Skuall says, have the patience to get through the Mog station and get your free trial.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    I found the game bland in the extreme.  From the overly long intro sequences ( which cannot be skipped ) to the kill & fed-ex quests that display absolutely no imagination ( and make up 99% of the quests early on ) to the extremely linear character progression in which you get no choice apart from where to put the bonus attribute points.  Your skills progression is already decided by class and you can even open up a window that shows which skill you get at a certain level.  SE have never been big on character customisation and ARR is no exception.  I have no idea why so many people like this game when there are much better MMO's out there.  Maybe it's the anime style, pretty boys and half naked women.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    edited August 2015
    Stuka1000 said:
    I found the game bland in the extreme.  From the overly long intro sequences ( which cannot be skipped ) to the kill & fed-ex quests that display absolutely no imagination ( and make up 99% of the quests early on ) to the extremely linear character progression in which you get no choice apart from where to put the bonus attribute points.  Your skills progression is already decided by class and you can even open up a window that shows which skill you get at a certain level.  SE have never been big on character customisation and ARR is no exception.  I have no idea why so many people like this game when there are much better MMO's out there.  Maybe it's the anime style, pretty boys and half naked women.
    I mainly play because I enjoy the story, and the job system is my favorite class system to date.  The boss fights, especially the raid bosses and primals, along with their respective themes, are the best in any MMO ive played, Seriously Alexander theme is funky, heck all the Primals and their themes feel unique and dat Signularity core fight!  Of course I usually take breaks in between story patches.  The pace of combat takes some getting used to, but Ive enjoyed it after I did.  

I prefer fewer class choices, because more choices really comes down to, which guide do I follow, because math.  In games like EvE I try to do to many different things to quickly and end up sucking in everything.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Stuka1000 said:
    I'd disagree on SE not being big on customization since XI was pretty well done. XIV is linear and I wont defend it, but XI, even though you knew which skills you were going to get access to over all, you could really play any class(job, in XI) without much restriction. So you could main heal certain things that weren't really taxing as brd while also doing support and tank as a dps class like monk while still doing good damage. It is largely due to the sub job system but it was well done, not to mention there is quite a bit of continuous progress in the game. The only thing that ruins the game is the management.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    edited August 2015
    Stuka1000 said:
    Regarding the opening cutscenes...
    FF, as a series, is very story-centric. Story-centric games tend to have a lot of cut-scenes. Not sure what you were expecting when you decided to play a Final Fantasy game. They make those scenes un-skippable because they're kind of important to your character's introduction and place in the world, and they probably make this crazy assumption that since you're playing a FF game, that you probably are interested in story.

That you find them "overly long" is not an indictment of the content, but merely an indication of your, seemingly low, patience level, and/or poor decision making when choosing a MMO to play that suits your tastes.

Kill and Fed-Ex quests in a modern MMO. Sounds pretty standard to me. Why are you playing a modern-style MMO if you don't enjoy, or take such issue with such quests? Incidentally, there are numerous quests which do not fit that description. Not surprisingly, you neglect to mention those.

Class/Skill progression... again, pretty common/standard for modern MMOs (which is exactly what they were going for with ARR). As for it being entirely linear and exactly the same. No. There's cross-class skills. You can train up other classes to learn their skills, then use them on another class to round it out, or give yourself some extra versatility in how you play. Of course, you completely neglect to mention that, as well. I'm beginning to notice a pattern here.

The reason other people like the game is simply because other people have other interests and things they enjoy that aren't always going to be in line with your interests and likes. Crazy concept to wrap your head around, I know. But... ya know.. There ya have it.

• HavepieHavepie Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I'd love to get some insight as well as I am also interested in joining. I have played a ton of MMOs, but I have not been addicted to one since EQ2. That is my kind of game, one where you can open world PVP, and there is no cap to your gear.

What turned me off about GW2 is that you get the best gear very easily, and from there it is just about finding gear that looks fancy. SWTOR was the same way! I want to be able to end game raid and get rare and exotic items that have unique effects etc.

Does this game have PVP? Open world PVP? How is the end game content etc? Is the game so old that I will have a hard time finding people to play with until I am super high level?

Thanks everyone!
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Havepie said:
    I'd love to get some insight as well as I am also interested in joining. I have played a ton of MMOs, but I have not been addicted to one since EQ2. That is my kind of game, one where you can open world PVP, and there is no cap to your gear.

What turned me off about GW2 is that you get the best gear very easily, and from there it is just about finding gear that looks fancy. SWTOR was the same way! I want to be able to end game raid and get rare and exotic items that have unique effects etc.

Does this game have PVP? Open world PVP? How is the end game content etc? Is the game so old that I will have a hard time finding people to play with until I am super high level?

Thanks everyone!
    There is no Open world PVP at all.  There is WOW like PVP here.  http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/PvP  However if you want to PVP FFXIV is not the place to join for PVP.  95% of this game is PVE and what is PVP is an afterthought.  PVP itself though most say is well designed, but if you dont mind waiting an hour on a queue to PVP then OK.

As for PVE this is the best game for PVE.  You are forced to group together with people for leveling because you cannot progress without doing the instances.  The Main Storyline is a must complete and there are countless instances that you need to group for basically.  As for Unique Effects gear and all that, there is none of that here.  Your abilities have unique effects and each job has its strengthens and weaknesses think Pre-WOTLK WOW for this.  
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    If you enjoy extreme skill bloat, you'll love the 40 keybinds. XP progression is an absolute grind. So much so that watching paint dry is indeed much more fun. "As for PVE this is the best game for PVE" not even close. PVE in this game is like working for Fedex.
  • SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    The two things that really stand out for me with FF14 ARR is it's charm and community. No other MMO can come close to the level of charm in the game..from seeing Lalafells dressed as pirates to a fat chocobo mount that runs by chasing after food attached to a fishing pole, it just has this charm that you never see in western MMOs. 

Then the community.. always going to get bad apples in any game but for the most part, this has to be one of the best post WoW MMO communities you can find.  I've been leveling a monk in duty finder (dungeon queue) and not once have I came across an abusive or rude player. A fair few times I've came across groups with poor tanks, one poor guy had absolutely no idea how to tank yet nobody complained and both myself and the other DPS tried to compensate for the tank and make things easier for him.. in most other MMOs I've played (WoW, SWTOR etc) that tank would have been kicked at the first opportunity and/or given a ton of abuse. 

Sadly though, I also came from SWTOR and so far (level 42 in the story quests) I've been disappointed with FF14's storytelling. It's not that the story is particularly bad, it's just that it can't compare to the animations and voice overs of the SWTOR story. Not to mention your Character has no personality or lines, just nods his head and shows glimpses of emotion every once in a while. The story is still leaps and bounds ahead of pretty much every other MMO though. 
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Dinasty said:
    If you enjoy extreme skill bloat, you'll love the 40 keybinds. XP progression is an absolute grind. So much so that watching paint dry is indeed much more fun. "As for PVE this is the best game for PVE" not even close. PVE in this game is like working for Fedex.
    Disagree but hey it's not for everyone.
    You can disagree with the truth if you like. Everyone has a choice to do so.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited August 2015
    Dinasty said:
    Dinasty said:
    Disagree but hey it's not for everyone.
    You can disagree with the truth if you like. Everyone has a choice to do so.
    I'm not a player competing for world firsts, and I don't even consider myself to be "good" - maybe average at best, on a good day.

But of all my classes, I do have one that hits 20 skills (SCH) on my toolbars (2 full bars) - but about 12 of those are very situational. I keep all my classes to 8 or less main keys. That, and the fact that the game is extremely controller-friendly also says something as to the number of abilities you absolutely need to keep on hand at any given time.

If you can't figure out how to prioritize your abilities, macro abilities, or sort your tool bars, then yeah, FFXIV isn't the game for you. It does throw abilities at you the entire time you are leveling up, and it leaves it more or less up to you to figure out what to do with them (although the class quests often provide some hints). While I don't do "end game" stuff, I haven't run across any situation where I needed access to each and every ability in a classes toolkit, and I have plenty of them leveled up.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    If we start with the assumption that all modern, traditional MMOs are just about the same (tab targeting, kill/fetch quests galore, linear character progression) then you need to look at the smaller things like art direction, graphics, how enjoyable combat is, instance design, etc.

And in every single regard FFXIV excels. It's a really beautiful, amazingly crafted game. There's a GCD sure, but combat feels fluid, responsive, and impactful. And there's so much to do! I dunno. I should probably stop before I convince myself to resub (taking a break until 3.1 in theory).

It's really good. Yeah. Play the trial. If you like it, you'll like it all the way through.
  • seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    edited October 2015
    I'm enjoying the game enough, but I wouldn't QUITE say it's  group centric game like other's have mentioned. Sure, you have to group in instances to progress the story. HOWEVER, this only requires clicking a button that will automatically generate a party for you full of people that you wont talk to during the dungeon and then never see again.

For me, when I say I like group centric games, I mean games that require grouping in the sense that you need to go out and make friends that aren't gonna screw you over, and you need to look for people manually to group with. That formed real relationships and lasting memories unlike any I've had since FFXI and to a lesser extent the earliest days of WoW. 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Ozreth said:
    I'm enjoying the game enough, but I wouldn't QUITE say it's  group centric game like other's have mentioned. Sure, you have to group in instances to progress the story. HOWEVER, this only requires clicking a button that will automatically generate a party for you full of people that you wont talk to during the dungeon and then never see again.

For me, when I say I like group centric games, I mean games that require grouping in the sense that you need to go out and make friends that aren't gonna screw you over, and you need to look for people manually to group with. That formed real relationships and lasting memories unlike any I've had since FFXI and to a lesser extent the earliest days of WoW. 
    Honestly, you probably wont find grouping elements like that in most games today. What made XI work was the fact that stuff was hard. If you've played XI for a while before all the changes, I'm sure you remember how hard it was to solo stuff that was even match + to level up. So leveling was more efficient. But most games now focus more of solo'ing and easy access grouping (duty finder, etc). You 'could' level via a F.A.T.E. grinding party but that honestly depends on your server and level in regards to how active groups are like that, even then most people are to themselves and only react when a fate pops. Best bet is to be pro-active on your end and look in game or on forums to form bonds that way, since many games wont force communication on you anymore.
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Ozreth said:

Can't say you will find that here, and I feel very much the same as you do in that general regard.