Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoL Is this just a marketing scheme and have we all been played for suckers?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited August 2015
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    I really don't see a problem here.
    -Chuckles
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited August 2015
    Nothing was taken out of context.   Those were  the exact words used. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    edited August 2015
    I don't care about political correctness at all.
    But what does raise a red flag is that generally, if a team is unprofessional (and the communication on display can be seen as such) in one area, they are most likely unprofessional in other areas too. And some of those will have an impact on the quality of the product.

Yes, ofcourse it can also just all be a marketing ploy. In which case the buzz will most likely be well worth the red flags raised and it's all good. 

Post edited by Gaendric on
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Gaendric said:
    I don't care about political correctness at all.
    But what does raise a red flag is that generally, if a team is unprofessional (and the communication on display can be seen as such) in one area, they are most likely unprofessional in other areas too. And some of those will have an impact on the quality of the product.

Yes, ofcourse it can also just all be a marketing ploy. In which case the buzz will most likely be well worth the red flags raised and it's all good. 

Well that was my feeling after following that thread until I had finally had enough.   Marketing.   Are they unprofessional or just really smart?  One way to get people talking about a game is to tell a majority of people to fuck off and don't bother playing our game..

I think that was the goal.   And I think it worked.

Kind of like they took the Wildstar attitude and amped it up to the max.   

Well time will tell if the badasses at Stormhaven can walk the walk, like they talk the talk.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    edited August 2015
    Gaendric said:

I'm sorry that statement isn't even slightly true. They are not a corporation, hence they don't have hired professionals for each position. They are like a rockband that the drummer is also answering your questions here. Their music might suck -we don't know that yet, but what you're saying is the drummer said an F word so he must not know how to play drums. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
    Joreel said:
    So let me ask you this Boneserino...

"Are you a supporter of the game?"
    "Have you even played the Pre-Alpha build yet?"
    "What do you really know about the game that enables you to speak from a position of authority about the game?"
    "Have you ever talked to the Tim or Emma, or even Bradley on the SoL forums or in the live streams?"

I'd love to know as you seem to have some definite opinion about the Devs and their game and how they should be doing things... 
    No I had never heard of this game before.  Thats why I went to the thread, to see what it was.   

I think you can tell how that went.

So I really don't give two shits about this game at all, which doesn't bother Mr Renfail  because he told myself and a few others to basically ... Fuck off.

So how did that work for him is my question?  

Did he alienate more people than he impressed or vice versa? 

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    No I had never heard of this game before.  Thats why I went to the thread, to see what it was.    

I think you can tell how that went.

So I really don't give two shits about this game at all, which doesn't bother Mr Renfail  because he told myself and a few others to basically ... Fuck off.

So how did that work for him is my question?  

Did he alienate more people than he impressed or vice versa? 
    So you're saying he's a nice person but "acting" like a jerk towards people as a publicity strategy?
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    He also mentioned that he does not give a shit about people who do not pay. Understandable, but then please stay in your own forums where only people can read what you say who have payed. If you really think like this, why are you at a public forum? If he really thinks like this, then yes the OP is right and these forums is just being used as a soapbox by the devs as he is not looking for interaction with the non-paying customer. 

But it created an other thread, so it is working. I also think this altitude will attract the people he wants in his game. So just let him behave this way and we see in a couple of years if it payed off. Good case study in my opinion. 
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Coman said:
    then please stay in your own forums 
    just let him behave this way
    He can behave on his own forums however he wants, it's the fact that he is trolling here that pisses me off and the mod team isn't doing anything.
    Obviously it's perfectly fine to create a new account here and troll as long as you are making a game - it means you will have special rights on mmorpg.com.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Dakeru said:
    Coman said:
    He can behave on his own forums however he wants, it's the fact that he is trolling here that pisses me off and the mod team isn't doing anything.
    Obviously it's perfectly fine to create a new account here and troll as long as you are making a game - it means you will have special rights on mmorpg.com.
    Overreacting maybe ? You are like a kid crying to his mommy because another kid told him he doesn't want to play with him. Like I said before, just stop paying him attention if it bothers you so much.
  • steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    I actually find the bluntness refreshing.  It is their game, and they do have the right to make it however they wish.  If someone doesn't agree with what type of game they are building, then it's that persons right to not play it.  Now days too many games try to be everything to everyone and fail miserably.  Marketing-wise the statement is brilliant.  We're all talking about the game, and people who have never heard about it are checking it out.  

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I actually find the bluntness refreshing.  It is their game, and they do have the right to make it however they wish.  If someone doesn't agree with what type of game they are building, then it's that persons right to not play it.  Now days too many games try to be everything to everyone and fail miserably.  Marketing-wise the statement is brilliant.  We're all talking about the game, and people who have never heard about it are checking it out.  
    I'm all for a bit of bluntness but your message can still be blunt and show a bit of professionalism.  What's refreshing about Renfail's below comment when discussing players that like FTP games.

One of the benefits of running my own show is that I don't have to filter, and I see no reason to tip-toe around the issues. I just say it like it is, and the whiny little entitlement brats can run home crying to mommy. 

We're developing a game for adults. http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/438122/saga-of-lucimia-sandbox-group-based-mmorpg/p2

The funny thing is, no one in that thread attacked his game or the payment options, they just questioned his attitude, which in all honestly I feel they have the right to do after he spouts juvenile crap like the above.  He then states he is developing a game for adults, lol.

Azoth said:
    Dakeru said:
    Coman said:
    Overreacting maybe ? You are like a kid crying to his mommy because another kid told him he doesn't want to play with him. Like I said before, just stop paying him attention if it bothers you so much.
    Overreacting maybe? You are like a kid crying to his mommy because another kid told him he doesn't want to play with him. 
    Just stop paying me attention if it bothers you so much.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    edited August 2015
    When will people finally realize that a bunch of amateur "game developer" will never be able to deliver a professional MMORPG. Hell, they will never even deliver a shitty MMORPG because so far none of them has ever finished one.

How many more failed MMORPG amateur Kickstarter, indiegogo, EarlyAccess Crowdforging scams does it take?

Let this one die like all the rest.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Dakeru said:
    Coman said:

You must have a very unique definition of what trolling is and a belief that the mods here should share your selective definition.

We can all read you know. It was you and yashax that started the ball rolling about fuckoffgate by pulling quotes from their website on the first page of that original thread while the rest of us were trying to discuss the game mechanics.

If anyone started the derailment and trolled that thread it was you two. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    To me there is a big difference between plain speaking and just being an asshole,

"If you don't like it, then you can fuck off", I feel your business venture is already doomed to failure, and truly lament for the poor underlings that have to work for someone like yourself.
    I completely agree with your first statement. It reminds me of the people who say about themselves "I'm a straight talker and just tell it like I see it" which usually means they want carte blanche to be jerks.

While I agree with the first part of the second statement the second part might not be applicable. While I would find such a workplace to be hostile, there are others who like that sort of place. It's very possible he is surrounded by like minded individuals.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Iselin said:
    Dakeru said:
    Coman said:

You must have a very unique definition of what trolling is and a belief that the mods here should share your selective definition.

We can all read you know. It was you and yashax that started the ball rolling about fuckoffgate by pulling quotes from their website on the first page of that original thread while the rest of us were trying to discuss the game mechanics.

Yes, let's discuss 4 week long dungeons which they are building in their free time after work.

On a good note: you got an "Awesome" from the master.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Dakeru said:
    Iselin said:
    Dakeru said:
    Coman said:

Yes, let's discuss 4 week long dungeons which they are building in their free time after work.

On a good note: you got an "Awesome" from the master.

Oh so you trolled us because you didn't like us asking questions about how those lengthy dungeon campaigns would work and you have something against part-time workers with two jobs? Gotcha.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

I just poped over to the Fuck Off thread to see what was up and see that the abrasiveness still continues.   Thinking more that it is just this particular individual's personality, rather than a marketing ploy.

Decided to watch the video that GreenReen was mentioning as choppy.    That made me chuckle and smile.  Not because it was choppy or amateurish or anything.

No it was the dialogue in the chat box:

"Hail Renfail, we have waited all night, and our joy knows no bounds now that you have arrived! 

"Yes I was drinking tequila and chasing many wenches last night! Haha!"

"Renfail you old scoundrel, let's take to the hunt, for many bandits await their doom on our blades!"

"Well met my brothers!  To the hunt!"    Cut scene.

Seems to me the dialogue would be more like:

" where the fuck is Renfail?"

"gettin wasted probably, that dude is always late"

"yea he sucks at the game too"

Or more along those lines.

If only they had used the same chivalric approach as in the video, in promoting the game, things might have gone a bit better.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Gaendric said:

Yes, ofcourse it can also just all be a marketing ploy.
    Absolutely.  It's very common when creating a cult to create an US vs THEM mentality.  Some recent MMOs seem to be taking a similar tactic.  Proudly targeting a small number of gamers, making them feel like they are special, and making them feel like other folks "just don't get it". 

I really know nothing about this game but am fascinated by the tactics.  Other companies are using similar methods, but perhaps not as overtly.  It will be interesting to follow and see what happens.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Gaendric said:

I'm sorry that statement isn't even slightly true. They are not a corporation, hence they don't have hired professionals for each position. They are like a rockband that the drummer is also answering your questions here. Their music might suck -we don't know that yet, but what you're saying is the drummer said an F word so he must not know how to play drums. 
    If you are Led Zeppelin and you tell some to F- off,  you carry some weight.

If you are the Grease Monkeys, playing out of your garage, you come across as arrogant dicks.  And you probably ain't no John Bonham.

Bit of a difference.

edited August 2015
This discussion has been closed.