Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You forgot a "role"

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
Hey, in the profile page it asks a question, What is your favorite role.  Besides the Trinity could you please add a "Support" option?

Yes, I know it's pretty much dead and gone from newer games, but it's still my favorite role.  (Think Minstrel or Skald in DAOC)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Added! Try now.
    Kyleran said:
    Hey, in the profile page it asks a question, What is your favorite role.  Besides the Trinity could you please add a "Support" option?

Yes, I know it's pretty much dead and gone from newer games, but it's still my favorite role.  (Think Minstrel or Skald in DAOC)
    I actually want to see if we can get some icons for each role and have them show up under your avatar when posting. Imagine like a set of crossed swords for DPS, heart for healer, and so on. What do you think?
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    MikeB said:
    Kyleran said:

I actually want to see if we can get some icons for each role and have them show up under your avatar when posting. Imagine like a set of crossed swords for DPS, heart for healer, and so on. What do you think?
    That would be pretty cool :awesome: 
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    MikeB said:
    Kyleran said:

heck yeah! do it!  B) i hadn't even noticed that part before i saw this thread but yeah add it

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Sounds good to me Mike, thx

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited August 2015
    There's no solo option, so what would you file a pet user, summoner, or similar class under?  They don't heal or support other players, only their pets.  They can't compete as tanks with tank classes even though the pet(s) generally are tanks.  They don't usually do as much DPS as a DPS class, though that's kind of the role they get relegated to in dungeon parties.  But basically they are an all-around class which is better at soloing than playing in a party role.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    There's no solo option, so what would you file a pet user, summoner, or similar class under?  They don't heal or support other players, only their pets.  They can't compete as tanks with tank classes even though the pet(s) generally are tanks.  They don't usually do as much DPS as a DPS class, though that's kind of the role they get relegated to in dungeon parties.  But basically they are an all-around class which is better at soloing than playing in a party role.
    Depends on the class. It was just meant to be your favorite role from the trinity, but I added support as a kind of catch-all for non healer type supports. If you're a summoner that does damage, DPS, maybe your pets tank, so you'd pick tank. Whatever your preference. :)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    MikeB said:
    Depends on the class. It was just meant to be your favorite role from the trinity, but I added support as a kind of catch-all for non healer type supports. If you're a summoner that does damage, DPS, maybe your pets tank, so you'd pick tank. Whatever your preference. :)
    "Back in the day" we used to call those "hybrid" classes, DAOC had many of them, such as the Friar, or Necromancer or enchanter, and it's true, they normally were more solo friendly and couldn't really fill a primary DPS, Healer or Tank role.

But with 8 man groups, there was usually room for them in one or two of the slots, their role as a back up tank, healer, buffer or crowd control (usually they covered two or three) was valuable when things started to go a little south. 

Only the hardcore PVP 8 mans would totally eschew the hybrid player in favor of all pure classes, most groups were far more forgiving in this area, especially in PVE.

I still maintain DAOC was one of the best designed MMORPGs ever made, and not just for it's RVR model.