Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Selling incredibly well on PS4

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Iselin said:
    reeereee said:
    ZOS in no way reported 2 million in sales.  They made a very vague comment about millions playing shortly after console launch.  The statement was worded in such a way that allowed them to include both PC players and console players and really 1.01 million could qualify as millions so all it really told us is that they had sold more than a million boxes total across all platforms a month after console sales started which is a mark just about everyone already thought they met.
    You need at least 2 to use the plural of million :)

Numbers between 1 and 2 are typically reported in PR spin as "more than one million!" or "nearly 2 million!" not "millions." And don't forget they were talking about "playing" which is always a much smaller number than "bought."
    Still, to have 2 million active players or more would mean they sold far more then we seen any prooof of. First of all have many PC players quit and you can't count players who both play PC and PS4/Xbox as 2 either.

The Forbes article said 1.4M have bought the console version 3 weeks ago. Now, that was one and a half months after the launch so I think we can assume that at least some of those who bought it jgot it after the statement since it been steadily high on the best selling lists.

This is the official statement: "At launch, millions of players around the world were eager to explore Tamriel."
    That means in my world that they only are talking about the console players. And I can honestly not believe it until I get official exact numbers. 

I think they actually do consider anything over a million "millions" until I get something more official than the Forbes numbers. Forbes are actually a pretty reliable source. And yes, I do think guys in marketting lie, constantly at any company.
    You can can me conspiracy nut but I do know some guys working in marketting and neither of them can tell the plain truth if their life depends on it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Loke666 said:
    Iselin said:
    reeereee said:
    ZOS in no way reported 2 million in sales.  They made a very vague comment about millions playing shortly after console launch.  The statement was worded in such a way that allowed them to include both PC players and console players and really 1.01 million could qualify as millions so all it really told us is that they had sold more than a million boxes total across all platforms a month after console sales started which is a mark just about everyone already thought they met.

Numbers between 1 and 2 are typically reported in PR spin as "more than one million!" or "nearly 2 million!" not "millions." And don't forget they were talking about "playing" which is always a much smaller number than "bought."
    Still, to have 2 million active players or more would mean they sold far more then we seen any prooof of. First of all have many PC players quit and you can't count players who both play PC and PS4/Xbox as 2 either.

The Forbes article said 1.4M have bought the console version 3 weeks ago. Now, that was one and a half months after the launch so I think we can assume that at least some of those who bought it jgot it after the statement since it been steadily high on the best selling lists.

This is the official statement: "At launch, millions of players around the world were eager to explore Tamriel."
    That means in my world that they only are talking about the console players. And I can honestly not believe it until I get official exact numbers. 

I think they actually do consider anything over a million "millions" until I get something more official than the Forbes numbers. Forbes are actually a pretty reliable source. And yes, I do think guys in marketting lie, constantly at any company.
    You can can me conspiracy nut but I do know some guys working in marketting and neither of them can tell the plain truth if their life depends on it.

Lol. I know what you mean about marketing and you don't have to be a conspiracy nut to be skeptical of all PR spin from anyone.

And I have no idea how many units they've sold. But grammatically speaking you can't call anything less than 2 "millions." And even though spinning the truth is what PR is all about, companies typically stop short of outright lying because that will come back to them eventually and bite them on the ass.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Iselin said:
    Loke666 said:
    Iselin said:
    reeereee said:

Lol. I know what you mean about marketing and you don't have to be a conspiracy nut to be skeptical of all PR spin from anyone.

And I have no idea how many units they've sold. But grammatically speaking you can't call anything less than 2 "millions." And even though spinning the truth is what PR is all about, companies typically stop short of outright lying because that will come back to them eventually and bite them on the ass.
    Here is a slightly interesting article/blog:

http://www.woodwardenglish.com/million-or-millions/

I think the use of the term "millions" just basically means "at least more than 1 million" without going into specifics.  It just sounds better than saying "a lot".  Sure, like Iselin said, technically in order to use millions you would think there would need to be more than one million, however in this case it's most likely just spin.  Solid, real numbers would be nice but unless ESO hits a major milestone we will probably never know their official numbers.   Even then, we would probably have to divide by three just to get a slightly more accurate idea of players per system.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I don't even need to respond anymore I can just click LOL.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:

But posting that you did defeats the purpose doesn't it? :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    bcbully said:

But posting that you did defeats the purpose doesn't it? :)
    It's gonna take some practice.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Torval said:
    rodingo said:
    Iselin said:

I think the use of the term "millions" just basically means "at least more than 1 million" without going into specifics.  It just sounds better than saying "a lot".  Sure, like Iselin said, technically in order to use millions you would think there would need to be more than one million, however in this case it's most likely just spin.  Solid, real numbers would be nice but unless ESO hits a major milestone we will probably never know their official numbers.   Even then, we would probably have to divide by three just to get a slightly more accurate idea of players per system.
    I see what you did there. You took an accepted definition of millions, and then added your spin at the end to make sure and minimize how popular the game really is.
    Don't agree he is minimizing how popular the game is, even the 'dividing by three' bit is just because the game is on three distinctly seperate platforms, ZOS can use the millions terminology now though, we know that in july at least, they had sold 1.4 million, or there abouts, combined XB1 and PS4 copies of the game, if you add that to the already existent estimated 750k PC copies of the game, it does take the total for all three platforms to over 2 million, so they can indeed now use the term millions with some degree of accuracy.
    Torval said:
    I see what you did there. You took an accepted definition of millions, and then added your spin at the end to make sure and minimize how popular the game really is.
    None here is saying that the game isn't popular. ESO is clearly one of the top 5 MMOs out there.

But After launch did an official board say that millions of players have gotten into Tamriel since the console launch. Forbes on the other hand stated that 1.4 million copies have been sold for PS4 and XBox 1 the 27th of july.

Now, 1.4 million copies is still bloody great and a huge sum for Zenimax but the wording "millions" seems off to me. They worded things like it was all new players and not on PC so I think their wording is poorly and that is it.

You can find both the links to Forbes article and the official one in the thread.
    edited August 2015
    Phry said:
    Torval said:
    rodingo said:
    Iselin said:

Don't agree he is minimizing how popular the game is, even the 'dividing by three' bit is just because the game is on three distinctly seperate platforms, ZOS can use the millions terminology now though, we know that in july at least, they had sold 1.4 million, or there abouts, combined XB1 and PS4 copies of the game, if you add that to the already existent estimated 750k PC copies of the game, it does take the total for all three platforms to over 2 million, so they can indeed now use the term millions with some degree of accuracy.
    " Though, according to VGChartz..." Forbes is quoting VGChartz which only tracks boxed copies... You knew that though. 1.4 million physical boxes... 750k PC was 3 months after launch. You knew that though... 700k Physical boxes on PC according to VGChartz. Digital sells more than physical. You did know that right? I bet you do. You've been at this down playing for over a year now.

Guess what? ESO is still topping the sales charts  :p  
    bcbully said:
    " Though, according to VGChartz..." Forbes is quoting VGChartz which only tracks boxed copies... You knew that though. 1.4 million physical boxes... 750k PC was 3 months after launch. You knew that though... 700k Physical boxes on PC according to VGChartz. Digital sells more than physical. You did know that right? I bet you do. You've been at this down playing for over a year now.

With PC few people bothers to buy physically, yes. The same thing however can not be said about console games. Last number I heard was that 25% of all copies were digital there. Those numbers is 9 months old though.

But fine, Forbes number might be only physical copies. That would make total console sale 1.75 million copies yntil 27th of July assuming that it sells as well physically as other console games.

Actually sounds plausible to me but it still ain't "millions". Enough to top the charts surely (particularly since few other good games been out recently). 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    VGChartz doesn't "track" physical copies though because it is a guesstimate based on "focus groups in selected countries" "extrapolation" "comparison to similar games" ......... so I don't think we should be splitting hairs. The only definitive number we have is "millions" which imo is at least 2.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Loke666 said:
    bcbully said:

With PC few people bothers to buy physically, yes. The same thing however can not be said about console games. Last number I heard was that 25% of all copies were digital there. Those numbers is 9 months old though.

But fine, Forbes number might be only physical copies. That would make total console sale 1.75 million copies yntil 27th of July assuming that it sells as well physically as other console games.

Actually sounds plausible to me but it still ain't "millions". Enough to top the charts surely (particularly since few other good games been out recently). 
    Normally, digital copies of games are cheaper than physical ones, with ESO though, that hasn't been the case, particularly when the game first launched on PC, digital copies of the game have rarely dipped below £49m but physical copies, particularly from amazon, when amazon still stocked the game at least, were considerably cheaper, i picked up a copy of the game from amazon for under £20, it was unsold launch stock, hence the price reduction, but it wouldn't surprise me at all, if it turned out that the bulk of ESO's PC sales were not in fact, physical sales of the game, rather than digital.
     Although now of course we are in the position where probably the only way to get a physical copy of the game, is to buy a console version of it, and that console sales are predominantly physical sales is not unexpected as the move to digital sales from physical ones, on console at least, is not as pronounced as it is on PC, and, i think for the most part, console owners tend to prefer  to have the physical copy anyway, a hold over perhaps from days when you needed the physical disk to play a game on console.
    Phry said:
    Normally, digital copies of games are cheaper than physical ones, with ESO though, that hasn't been the case, particularly when the game first launched on PC, digital copies of the game have rarely dipped below £49m but physical copies, particularly from amazon, when amazon still stocked the game at least, were considerably cheaper, i picked up a copy of the game from amazon for under £20, it was unsold launch stock, hence the price reduction, but it wouldn't surprise me at all, if it turned out that the bulk of ESO's PC sales were not in fact, physical sales of the game, rather than digital.
     Although now of course we are in the position where probably the only way to get a physical copy of the game, is to buy a console version of it, and that console sales are predominantly physical sales is not unexpected as the move to digital sales from physical ones, on console at least, is not as pronounced as it is on PC, and, i think for the most part, console owners tend to prefer  to have the physical copy anyway, a hold over perhaps from days when you needed the physical disk to play a game on console.
    With PCs I think Steam is the real difference, because it is a great way to shop games. Almost all PC players I know buy their stuff from them.
    Console players first have worse services and tend to be more traditional. In fact do most gaming stores have several the times PS4 games as PC games and that is of course since they sell more. However when looking on sold copies of different games do rarely PS4 versions sell 5 times as many as PC unless the PC version is a crappy port (like the latest Batman game).

Console games will most likely eventually move over far more to digital as well but the 25% it have right now should be pretty accurate in most cases.
    Phry said:
    Loke666 said:
    bcbully said:

Actually there have been a shit-ton of PC digital copy sales. ZOS themselves had it for $20 in Nov. and Dec., Steam has had several sales not to mention Greenman Gaming that has had multiple sales - the last one just a couple of weeks ago for $12.

But I won't argue the point about consoles still selling many more boxes than digital since that's my sense too. Old habits with HD-crippled consoles die hard even though the new ones have plenty of HD space. Then there is is the trade-in thing too which is very popular with console game boxes.

And what's this shit about "when amazon still stocked the game at least": http://http//www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-Online-Unlimited-Multiple-Pc/dp/B00STU8L3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439536240&sr=8-1&keywords=elder+scrolls+online+tamriel+unlimited+pc notice the "In stock"

It seems to be so important to some of you to lowball the numbers through misleading factoids and just plain wrong information.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    rodingo said:
    Iselin said:

I didn't bother responding to the link since it's just a grammatical discussion about when it's correct to say million (i.e. when you're talking about exact figures) vs. millions. It has nothing to do with what we were discussing which is whether 1.01 million can be called millions which is what the guy I was responding to said.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited August 2015
    Loke666 said:
    Phry said:
    With PCs I think Steam is the real difference, because it is a great way to shop games. Almost all PC players I know buy their stuff from them.
    Console players first have worse services and tend to be more traditional. In fact do most gaming stores have several the times PS4 games as PC games and that is of course since they sell more. However when looking on sold copies of different games do rarely PS4 versions sell 5 times as many as PC unless the PC version is a crappy port (like the latest Batman game).

Console games will most likely eventually move over far more to digital as well but the 25% it have right now should be pretty accurate in most cases.
    ESO is doing very badly on steam (steam stats) and thats considering when it "launched" on Steam it was on sale for 2 weeks straight and had several sales since then.

ESO was in "bargain digital bin" for 6+ months for 10-15$, but i never saw it as popular sale on any of those sites (Kinguin/G2A/GMG)

So its pretty sure ESO rests on console gaming where it hasnt even passed on 3 months mark yet, and its sales are far from stellar. Even VGC shows 85-90% drop in sales by week 3 (27th June)

Its funny how people get excited it sold that many, SWTOR sold 2 mil in first week (preorders).
    Iselin said:

Actually there have been a shit-ton of PC digital copy sales. ZOS themselves had it for $20 in Nov. and Dec., Steam has had several sales not to mention Greenman Gaming that has had multiple sales - the last one just a couple of weeks ago for $12.

But I won't argue the point about consoles still selling many more boxes than digital since that's my sense too. Old habits with HD-crippled consoles die hard even though the new ones have plenty of HD space. Then there is is the trade-in thing too which is very popular with console game boxes.

And what's this shit about "when amazon still stocked the game at least": http://http//www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-Online-Unlimited-Multiple-Pc/dp/B00STU8L3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439536240&sr=8-1&keywords=elder+scrolls+online+tamriel+unlimited+pc notice the "In stock"

It seems to be so important to some of you to lowball the numbers through misleading factoids and just plain wrong information.
    I don't think we are low balling the numbers, sure, the game could have sold more or less than 25% digital copies so the range is somewhere between 1.5-2M console copies until 2 weeks ago but we ain't pulling numbers out of a hat or anything. 

ESO is selling well but some people assumes it is larger than Wow 5.6M by now (that was mentioned in a Wow thread a few days ago and not here though. It is likely slightly larger than Final fantasy XIV at the moment. I would guess that GW2 is slightly larger but it might be the other way around, mostly based on the number of copies it sold. And I would also guess that TOR is just smaller than FF XIV.

Now, all that could be discussed and me guessing that ESO is the third largest MMO might be off but it is certainly between number 2-5 on the list and that is rather awesome news for Zenimax. Even with just the Forbes numbers they made load of cash and have gotten plenty new players into the game even if we know some also have the game on PC.

ESO might very well be the largest MMO a year from now if Legion and HOT fails while ESO continue to sell well on consoles. It will guaranteed still be on the top 5 list.

And few here have denied any of that so don't call of haters or anything just because we are critical to certain claims of "millions of players" here.
    @Loke666 ;

I wasn't referring to you. Your guesses are logical... can't say the same for others though :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Malabooga said:
    ESO is doing very badly on steam (steam stats) and thats considering when it "launched" on Steam it was on sale for 2 weeks straight and had several sales since then.

ESO was in "bargain digital bin" for 6+ months for 10-15$, but i never saw it as popular sale on any of those sites (Kinguin/G2A/GMG)

So its pretty sure ESO rests on console gaming where it hasnt even passed on 3 months mark yet, and its sales are far from stellar. Even VGC shows 85-90% drop in sales by week 3 (27th June)

Its funny how people get excited it sold that many, SWTOR sold 2 mil in first week (preorders).
    Well, TOR sold that on PC. Console MMOs are a very different thing there. And I think it is good news for us MMO fans that ESO and FF XIV is starting to do fine on consoles, that attracts new people to the genre and might get a few Western publishers to rethink their current policy on MMOs.

Now, last console I had was a PS3 I only used for Guitarr hero and Sould Calibur (never sober or alone) so I am hardly much of a console fan myself but I do love MMOs and the more playing the better.

It is surely true that no MMO can just be judged by the first months sale and it will take a year before we actually got much clue on the games real potential but this is still good news so far.

As for my own MMO gaming at the moment I play GW2 and are waiting for Shards and Pantheon but ESO doing badly would be bad news anyways. The PC performance was less than expected but games like Skyrim and Oblivion did a lot better on consoles so it would hardly be a surprise if the same goes for ESO long term as well. We need successful MMOs in a time when Wow is losing close to half it's players in 9 months or we will all soon be stuck with Korean and Chinese games.

And while it is off topic: my favorite Elder scrolls game is "Daggerfall". :)
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    rodingo said:
    Iselin said:

I didn't bother responding to the link since it's just a grammatical discussion about when it's correct to say million (i.e. when you're talking about exact figures) vs. millions. It has nothing to do with what we were discussing which is whether 1.01 million can be called millions which is what the guy I was responding to said.
    Yes because when these usual suspects make click bait topics about how ESO sold millions or will sell 10 or 20 millions they usually mean 1.01 million...... sure. 

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    gervaise1 said:

(GW2 is thought to have passed 8M by the way - TESO just needs time ...and dlc drops I reckon.)
    I am curious as to where you got that GW2 sold 8 million copies. Do you have a link?

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

I am curious as to where you got that GW2 sold 8 million copies. Do you have a link?
    I would like to see that as well. It surely isn't impossible, I do know it passed 5 millions but 8 is a lot. Of course since HoT includes the basic game if you don't own it the pre-orders might count as full copies as well and together with the Chinese sales (only number I have that is reliable is 1.5M pre-orders) the number do make some sense. That doesn't make 8 mil true of course until we see something official or at least semi official.

It doesn't really matter in this discussion though, 5 million copies is more than ESO and that was over a year ago. ESO on the other hand still have gotten in more money due to the monthly subs it had on PCs before so lets call it a draw.

GW2 as B2P game heavily depends on the sale of expansions so how well it will do in the future depends on how HoT and future expansions will sell. The same goes for ESO even if it might depend more on loose dlcs and "freemium" styled subs than actual expansions.

Both games are so far doing pretty well and it will be interesting to see which one of them actually passes Wow with active players somewhere in the future, it is bound to happen sooner or later and I honestly can't see any other western MMOs doing it, particularly since the only ones in development now are indie and kickstarter games (beside EQN and I doubt we see that one out in the next 3 years).
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited August 2015
    Loke666 said:
    Malabooga said:

Well, TOR sold that on PC. Console MMOs are a very different thing there. And I think it is good news for us MMO fans that ESO and FF XIV is starting to do fine on consoles, that attracts new people to the genre and might get a few Western publishers to rethink their current policy on MMOs.

Now, last console I had was a PS3 I only used for Guitarr hero and Sould Calibur (never sober or alone) so I am hardly much of a console fan myself but I do love MMOs and the more playing the better.

It is surely true that no MMO can just be judged by the first months sale and it will take a year before we actually got much clue on the games real potential but this is still good news so far.

As for my own MMO gaming at the moment I play GW2 and are waiting for Shards and Pantheon but ESO doing badly would be bad news anyways. The PC performance was less than expected but games like Skyrim and Oblivion did a lot better on consoles so it would hardly be a surprise if the same goes for ESO long term as well. We need successful MMOs in a time when Wow is losing close to half it's players in 9 months or we will all soon be stuck with Korean and Chinese games.

And while it is off topic: my favorite Elder scrolls game is "Daggerfall". :)
    Thats the point, big sale numbers mean nothing, IP means nothing, even less on consoles. ZOS already had 2 rounds of layoffs. Same as BW/SWTOR. Industry keeps much better track of line of events than these forums ;) where such "details" are easily forgotten.

FF is doing best in Asia, i doubt western publishers count much on that. And ESO still has to pass test of time, PC version didnt. They really messed up that one, on many levels.

And no, Oblivion and Skyrim didnt do much better on consoles, 40% of sales were PC (worst case scenario 35%), and they did absolutely worst on PS, and longevity of those 2 was driven by PC version and modding, and that doesnt exist in ESO.

And for those 2 on consoles, most of the sales were done in first 6 weeks (around 55-60%), and around 35% in first 3 weeks for 4 year period. So if we go by that, ESO sold what it sold by now, and it wont sell much more in near future.

Theres also big elephant in the room: what happens with ESO when next ES game releases. Even when FO4 releases.

So if youre betting on FFXIV and ESO....dont becaus ethis is how it looks (short version):

FFXIV: released, crashed and burned, needed large investment to rework the game without any income, and had moderate success afterwards and needed additional monetizing to keep it afloat, sold much worse than other franchise titles.

ESO: released on PC, crashed, had layoffs and pricing model change (B2P), additional funding to just fix the game, released on consoles and sold considerably worse compared to previous franchise titles.
    Post edited by Malabooga on
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited August 2015
    Torval said:
    rodingo said:

What "spin" did I add? The part about ," ..we would probably have to divide by three just to get a slightly more accurate idea of players per system." ?  Is ESO on more or less than 3 separate gaming systems?  Last I checked, using a fact is not considered spin.  Omitting, conveniently leaving out, or changing the facts is.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    OK, so we have got this thread that says ESO is selling really well on PS4.  I have no intention of ever playing this game on a console...especially since I don't own a PS4, but I was interested in getting it for PC at some point. Not that the PS4 sales matter for someone playing on a PC since the players will never interract with each other.......I think that's a mistake. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway. I was curious to see the number so I went to google.
    eso ps4 sales

I'm seeing mixed reports on this game's success here.
    just fro mthat 1st page on the search, I am seeing

The Resounding Whimper Of The 'Elder Scrolls Online' Release

The Elder Scrolls Online is not having the best launch on PS4 and Xbox One

Now...They aren't all bad references.....Some of them are good as well, but I'm just saying....a little research and it doesn't appear that it's all Champagne Parties at ZOS now.