Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Selling incredibly well on PS4

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    And hence the numbers are not relevant to me playing it.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605

I can only search the web.  I think the information is something like ESO sold like 100k copies in a week.  Which is nice, but nothing important IMO.

I would suggest people to try ESO just because of the B2P.  I think the whole comparison to FFXIV is kind of pointless.  If there is no complete sales information, you can't really compare.  No one even know how many people still play ESO now.  And ESO don't release sales report I think.  

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Originally posted by AAAMEOW

I can only search the web.  I think the information is something like ESO sold like 100k copies in a week.  Which is nice, but nothing important IMO.I would suggest people to try ESO just because of the B2P.  I think the whole comparison to FFXIV is kind of pointless.  If there is no complete sales information, you can't really compare.  No one even know how many people still play ESO now.  And ESO don't release sales report I think.  

Actually ESO sold about 1mil copies in 3 weeks on PS4, physical copies. And we all know what the ratio is between digital and physical about 3/4:1.

The fact is that FFXIV has 2+mil Subs across all platforms. It should have at least 1mil Subs on PS4.

With that in mind Heavensward must have sold about 1mil copies or at least close to it. Which is even more surprising as ESO+ outsold it by A LOT. There is no other explanation but the fact that ESO has multiple million subscribers on PS4, and at least 5mil total copies sold.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Vardahoth

I find it funny gamers argue over a market and profits instead of games and the gameplay (or lack of) they offer.

brb popcorn...

Shouldn't we be entering a "which console is best" discussion about now?

I mean, it's just traditional.

Anyone for a classic old Mac OS1 vs Amiga Workbench 1.0 vs Windows 1.0 vs GEM fanboy war?

Originally posted by josko9

I can only search the web.  I think the information is something like ESO sold like 100k copies in a week.  Which is nice, but nothing important IMO.

I would suggest people to try ESO just because of the B2P.  I think the whole comparison to FFXIV is kind of pointless.  If there is no complete sales information, you can't really compare.  No one even know how many people still play ESO now.  And ESO don't release sales report I think.  

Actually ESO sold about 1mil copies in 3 weeks on PS4, physical copies. And we all know what the ratio is between digital and physical about 3/4:1. The fact is that FFXIV has 2+mil Subs across all platforms. It should have at least 1mil Subs on PS4. With that in mind Heavensward must have sold about 1mil copies or at least close to it. Which is even more surprising as ESO+ outsold it by A LOT. There is no other explanation but the fact that ESO has multiple million subscribers on PS4, and at least 5mil total copies sold.

link the source? 

Just look like BS numbers.  People have always make up BS numbers about GW2 or FF14.  

People are just making up BS numbers about FF14 because it have 500k subs half a year ago.  And FF14 China have 1.5 register accounts half a year ago.  

Almost no one in China even own a PS4 and xBox.  I don't even know how you make that much speculation out of nothing.  Even if every PS4 owner in China buys heavens sword FF14 wont' have 1 mil subs on ps4.

Not to mention I'm not sure if China even need to buy Heavensward.  I think they only need to buy game time without needing to buy the expansion.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    After it's debut on #1 spot as the best selling game on PS4 in June, ESO is still going strong and achieved #5 place in July. It's main competitor FFXIV (who just recently got it's 1st expansion) is far below at #19 (#18 in July). ESO's optional subscription seems to be bringing in some impressive revenue. ESO+ is #2 best selling DLC in july (#1 in June). Heavensward expansion (DLC) was at #5 in June, but has slipped off the top 10 list in July. With that said we can conclude that ESO has some giant numbers on the Consoles. I think we can all agree this is a solid proof.

It is F2P.

With that said it does not say anything about the playing community online at this moment. Basicly the same as Guildwars 2. They generate their money by selling game copies and the online shop, for all that matters their servers could be barren.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Actually ESO sold about 1mil copies in 3 weeks on PS4, physical copies. And we all know what the ratio is between digital and physical about 3/4:1. The fact is that FFXIV has 2+mil Subs across all platforms. It should have at least 1mil Subs on PS4. With that in mind Heavensward must have sold about 1mil copies or at least close to it. Which is even more surprising as ESO+ outsold it by A LOT. There is no other explanation but the fact that ESO has multiple million subscribers on PS4, and at least 5mil total copies sold.

link the source? 

Just look like BS numbers.  People have always make up BS numbers about GW2 or FF14.  

People are just making up BS numbers about FF14 because it have 500k subs half a year ago.  And FF14 China have 1.5 register accounts half a year ago.  

Almost no one in China even own a PS4 and xBox.  I don't even know how you make that much speculation out of nothing.  Not to mention I'm not sure if China even need to buy Heavensward.  I think they only need to buy game time without needing to buy the expansion.

As of the end of July, it looks like ESO sold 800k on Playstation and 600k on Xbox, they are still selling them obviously, but the first few weeks are critical when it comes to MMO sales, even WoW sold like 3 million copies of WoD in the first 24 hours.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/archenemy/2015/07/20/the-resounding-whimper-of-the-elder-scrolls-online-release/

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I think ESO is doing great but unfortunately this increase in sales does not mean that PC players can play with the console players. Kind of a loss for the PC population . At least in FFXIV which you brought up BTW the console and PC players play together which is a huge plus .
    Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I think ESO is doing great but unfortunately this increase in sales does not mean that PC players can play with the console players. Kind of a loss for the PC population . At least in FFXIV which you brought up BTW the console and PC players play together which is a huge plus .

Huge opportunity lost not having the game being multiplatform, its a huge draw for FFXIV;ARR, and would only benefit ESO if all those players could actually, play to together, how many friends have the same console type after all, that they can't play together unless they do, is an epic fail. image

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    It's not really a surpize to me. It's a decent game and there are limited mmorpgs on any consoles. I'll stick with my PC though! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Phry

link the source? 

Almost no one in China even own a PS4 and xBox.  I don't even know how you make that much speculation out of nothing.  Not to mention I'm not sure if China even need to buy Heavensward.  I think they only need to buy game time without needing to buy the expansion.

As of the end of July, it looks like ESO sold 800k on Playstation and 600k on Xbox, they are still selling them obviously, but the first few weeks are critical when it comes to MMO sales, even WoW sold like 3 million copies of WoD in the first 24 hours.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/archenemy/2015/07/20/the-resounding-whimper-of-the-elder-scrolls-online-release/

Is there number for PC?  I'm not sure why the article says VGchartz only have 600k.  Or the 600k only includes what VGchartz have recorded.  Seemed pretty low for PC mmorpg.

Good to hear ESO is doing good on console.  

And for FF14, I dont' think it's surprise PS4 number is low.  Since "internet" says they only have 500k subs outside of China.  And I dont' think China players use console or even need to buy the expansion(I think they only need to pay game time).

Anyway my opinion.  For people trash talking ESO, FF14 or whatever.  Compare to other mmorpg release in the past 10 years, they are already one of the best.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

so, he asks what you think about ESO; and you guys answer with FFXIV.

that is exactly what's wrong with this community.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I remember the super hype behind Dragon Age and Skyrim,i bought those games and was never more disappointed.

Those two purchases were enough to shy me away from falling into yet more hype behind Destiny so i did not buy that game.

VERY few ever test a game prior to buying,most of the time do not have a clue what they are buying.It says more about the impact marketing/advertising has on game sales than the quality of games themselves.I am sure by now most have heard of the Steam numbers that 37% never even play the game they buy.

Steam 37%

There also used to be a website that posted these numbers,claimed to be the biggest out there but started to attract attention.Why,well because they were funded by the likes of Blizzard and EA and other big name IP's,that sort of gives a false sense of  bias when you see that.Shortly after they stopped publicly posting those numbers.It is very possible to predict with some kind of accuracy but still it does not make a game legit just because people bought it.

I personally find it very hard to understand why anyone would support Zeni after they blatantly lied about their change to f2p just to get more subscriptions before the change.That tells me  they cannot be trusted what so ever.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Thane the topic starter brought up FFXIV himself in the original post. You just read the title without reading the post itself I take it. 
    Chamber of Chains

link the source? 

Is there number for PC?  I'm not sure why the article says VGchartz only have 600k.  Or the 600k only includes what VGchartz have recorded.  Seemed pretty low for PC mmorpg.

And for FF14, I dont' think it's surprise PS4 number is low.  Since "internet" says they only have 500k subs outside of China.  And I dont' think China players use console or even need to buy the expansion(I think they only need to pay game time).

Anyway my opinion.  For people trash talking ESO, FF14 or whatever.  Compare to other mmorpg release in the past 10 years, they are already one of the best.

It was always a huge question if ESO had sold over 1 million or not on PC, and if that was why ZOS had remained silent on such things, that they have estimated the overall PC sales at barely over 700k seems possible, that combined console sales are double that of the PC sales, does seem to make the game a lot more of a success on Console than it was on PC, but given the console playerbase is split between 2 different consoles, the overall figures probably don't mean as much. image

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Don't worry, as long as they can't play on PC servers we are safe. :)

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by bcbully

Well the majority of ESP players do sub, 59% of them. With 2 million players this poll has a 5% MoE. It could be as high as 64% or as low as 54%.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/204834/poll-are-you-a-eso-member/p1 

It's safe to say that poll has far more than a 5% MoE, due to self-selection (only the most-engaged players are going to end up on a game's forums.)

I think ESO is a lot of fun personally, and a simple wiki lookup shows the OP's data to be solid proof of the game's sales on PS4, but it's a disservice to statistical analysis to pretend that a forum poll is going to be at all reflective of actual subscription rates.

It's similar to how if you run a poll here on MMORPG.com your results would show a general preference for sandbox MMORPGs, and meanwhile in real life those types of MMORPGs perform quite poorly compared with themeparks.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    TESO was extremely costly to make and still doesn't even have 800k subscribers. They aren't even close to making their money back on this game. Don't let the forum dregs fool you by pretending this game is even remotely popular. It isn't.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    @thebeast do you have anything to back up your assertation? Anything?

From sales numbers to be the most popular game on this site for well over a year, to forums busier than these forums and even that of WoWs.

ESOs forums are the busiest I've seen in years. Ask a question in general and it will be on the 3rd page in 20 mins.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by JemAs666
    Solid proof of what?  People bought the game?  I bought the game yet I am playing Final Fantasy way more than ESO.

thats nice i bought the expansion and regretted on day one.i did not like how they did flying. i have come to hate the gathering and crafting in ffxiv.eso is much more simple,ohh you found an ore mine it,the new raids are even worse than the old raids.what really did me in was i finally did the relic line and it was way way to expensive.plus the expansion was half ass to begin with,now they will of course bring out the rest of it in patch for next year or so.frankly xi was much better.

• ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179

link the source? 

It was always a huge question if ESO had sold over 1 million or not on PC, and if that was why ZOS had remained silent on such things, that they have estimated the overall PC sales at barely over 700k seems possible, that combined console sales are double that of the PC sales, does seem to make the game a lot more of a success on Console than it was on PC, but given the console playerbase is split between 2 different consoles, the overall figures probably don't mean as much. image

does selling a lot make it a good game and not selling a lot make it  bad game?wow is a bad game i could care less how many it sells,to ME it is a bad game. NOW if you want to play a bad game cause it is popular go for it.

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293

Give it time.

Once they reach Vet ranks the game will die as it did on PC.

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    After it's debut on #1 spot as the best selling game on PS4 in June, ESO is still going strong and achieved #5 place in July. It's main competitor FFXIV (who just recently got it's 1st expansion) is far below at #19 (#18 in July). ESO's optional subscription seems to be bringing in some impressive revenue. ESO+ is #2 best selling DLC in july (#1 in June). Heavensward expansion (DLC) was at #5 in June, but has slipped off the top 10 list in July. With that said we can conclude that ESO has some giant numbers on the Consoles. I think we can all agree this is a solid proof.

Comparing an expansion which is a single time purchase with a monthly renewed sub?

The only proof I can see if proof of low mental activity.

Originally posted by Kalmporos

Comparing an expansion which is a single time purchase with a monthly renewed sub?

The only proof I can see if proof of low mental activity.

Comparing expansion on it's launch month to a subscription is the same thing, actually even better for ESO. It means that ESO had at least 10x more Subs number than the Heavensward' sales numbers.

But hey if you can't understand that I feel bad for you.
    Originally posted by Kalmporos

Give it time.Once they reach Vet ranks the game will die as it did on PC.

ESO had more than 2mil active players on PC when it transitioned to B2P, by now it probably has 3mil with 2mil Subs. But hey keep on hating.