Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Selling incredibly well on PS4

josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
After it's debut on #1 spot as the best selling game on PS4 in June, ESO is still going strong and achieved #5 place in July. It's main competitor FFXIV (who just recently got it's 1st expansion) is far below at #19 (#18 in July).

ESO's optional subscription seems to be bringing in some impressive revenue. ESO+ is #2 best selling DLC in july (#1 in June). Heavensward expansion (DLC) was at #5 in June, but has slipped off the top 10 list in July.

With that said we can conclude that ESO has some giant numbers on the Consoles. I think we can all agree this is a solid proof.

Comments

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Solid proof of what?  People bought the game?  I bought the game yet I am playing Final Fantasy way more than ESO.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by josko9
    After it's debut on #1 spot as the best selling game on PS4 in June, ESO is still going strong and achieved #5 place in July. It's main competitor FFXIV (who just recently got it's 1st expansion) is far below at #19 (#18 in July). ESO's optional subscription seems to be bringing in some impressive revenue. ESO+ is #2 best selling DLC in july (#1 in June). Heavensward expansion (DLC) was at #5 in June, but has slipped off the top 10 list in July. With that said we can conclude that ESO has some giant numbers on the Consoles. I think we can all agree this is a solid proof.

One person's post doesn't make for solid proof.  However, posting a link that says the exact same thing you just wrote will go a long way to make your post seem less like speculation or armchair analysis. Just saying.

That said, it's good ESO found a market amongst console players.  Lord knows console gamers probably out number us PC gamers by a large margin, so it makes since for ESO to do better there than it did on the PC.

Who knows?  Maybe Zenimax will actually post some official numbers like they did with Skyrim when it did well.  Still have yet to hear from them about PC sales.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• marcio519marcio519 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by JemAs666
    Solid proof of what?  People bought the game?  I bought the game yet I am playing Final Fantasy way more than ESO.

he talked about selling, not most played

but yes, no solid proof.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Let us keep in mind that XIV is strictly subscription based, and XIV is no WoW. It will not have the same numbers when compared with a non sub game like ESO. The majority of people playing XIV are comfortable having a mandatory subscription in order to play. The same is not happening with ESO.

EDIT: it shouldnt be about who is doing better. Its all about both being doing well. Win Win for everyone.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

FF14 is actually doing fairly well too as proven by the the financials released by Square Enix.  (It's in an article on the main page)  I'm glad both games are doing well...it gives more choices for us gamers.

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    No solid proof? Seriously?

ESO+, you know ESO's optional subscription, seems to be "outselling" Heavensward by a big margin. Hell Heavensward is not even in the top 10 list anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Heavensward sold badly, I'm sure it sold a lot. Which is even more impressive for ESO as ESO+ seems to be bringing in a lot of money. And yes this shows that far more people are playing ESO on PS4.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Let us keep in mind that XIV is strictly subscription based, and XIV is no WoW. It will not have the same numbers when compared with a non sub game like ESO. The majority of people playing XIV are comfortable having a mandatory subscription in order to play. The same is not happening with ESO.

EDIT: it shouldnt be about who is doing better. Its all about both being doing well. Win Win for everyone.

Well the majority of ESP players do sub, 59% of them. With 2 million players this poll has a 5% MoE. It could be as high as 64% or as low as 54%.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/204834/poll-are-you-a-eso-member/p1

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by junzo316

FF14 is actually doing fairly well too as proven by the the financials released by Square Enix.  (It's in an article on the main page)  I'm glad both games are doing well...it gives more choices for us gamers.

^Yep. It's good that both are doing well. (Even though I don't play FFXIV.)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Who knows?  Maybe Zenimax will actually post some official numbers like they did with Skyrim when it did well.  Still have yet to hear from them about PC sales.

Bethesda only acknowledged Skyrim numbers when it passed 20 Mil because that was a significant number that very few games ever achieve and something ESO is unlikely to ever reach. They didn't do it at 5, 10 or 15 or any other number when it was also doing well.

They're a private company that's just not in the habit of doing that. I may be wrong but I don't recall them ever releasing official numbers about any of their games other than that one time.

Unless there is a sudden change of policy about keeping that info to themselves, all we're ever going to have is more educated or less educated guesses from random posters or VG charts or Superdata... which someone will always challenge as "not official."

Frankly, I'm surprised how well it seems to still be doing now with all the mixed press and user reviews over the past year and a half.... even on the PC. All anyone needs to do is roll a new character and group and chat with the lower level players: there are many, many new ones on the PC as well. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'm glad both are doing well but I haven't even broken the wrapper off ESO yet (that has more to do with finding people in my circle to play with than a sign of quality). For me though, FFXIV is the one that impresses me the most, being P2P by default and still going on strong enough to stave off the F2P/B2P model.

Still I say the more the merrier. It just goes to show that these games can exist without cannibalizing each other's player bases (something players around here are more than happy trying to still push it seems).

And saying "Pepsi" outsold "Coke" for a month or two still doesn't take away from the fact that Coke ain't going no where. It just shows that Pepsi had better promo this time around.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Why do we need "solid proof" of anything?

I play FFXIV now. When I log in, there are many other people who play FFXIV also. This is what I care about really.

1. Will the game be around for some time to come?

2. Will it stay populated with a healthy player base?

Who cares if the game shatters every other record in the book? If one of those answers is "no" the game fails.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

I bought the Imperial Edition at that GMG sale  and have to say I am pleasantly surprised by how fun the game is and how busy the starter zones are. 

I do see some complaints about the UI but most people are directed to ESOUI and that takes care of most of the UI issues atleast for PC people. I would assume most console players are comfortable with the UI as it is.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by rodingo

Bethesda only acknowledged Skyrim numbers when it passed 20 Mil because that was a significant number that very few games ever achieve and something ESO is unlikely to ever reach. They didn't do it at 5, 10 or 15 or any other number when it was also doing well.

They're a private company that's just not in the habit of doing that. I may be wrong but I don't recall them ever releasing official numbers about any of their games other than that one time.

Unless there is a sudden change of policy about keeping that info to themselves, all we're ever going to have is more educated or less educated guesses from random posters or VG charts or Superdata... which someone will always challenge as "not official."

Frankly, I'm surprised how well it seems to still be doing now with all the mixed press and user reviews over the past year and a half.... even on the PC. All anyone needs to do is roll a new character and group and chat with the lower level players: there are many, many new ones on the PC as well. 

Source: They acknowledged 7M shipped and more than 50% sold in first 48 hours of retail via press release

Source: They acknowledged 10M shipped via press release

Edit: Sorry, posted wrong link

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Why do we need "solid proof" of anything?

I play FFXIV now. When I log in, there are many other people who play FFXIV also. This is what I care about really.

1. Will the game be around for some time to come?

2. Will it stay populated with a healthy player base?

Who cares if the game shatters every other record in the book? If one of those answers is "no" the game fails.

Was going to say this also.

Why should I care if one game outsells another?

Does that make it a better game?  Does that mean that I should play it or I am just stupid?

Honestly I don't care what game sells the most.  Much of that is hype sales anyway.   All I care about is whether I will like the game or not.

What the hell are we trying to prove here?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Taunting the haters would be my guess. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I can never quite tell if he's trolling or just a really really excited fan.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by reeereee

There's a difference?  image

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by Boneserino What the hell are we trying to prove here?

Gees I was just pointing out how well ESO is doing on the Consoles xD FFXIV is "supposedly" 2nd best Subscription based MMO on PC behind WoW, so I thought it would be a good comparison. Especially as there is no other MMO to compare against on PS4 :D

I understand some prefer FFXIV others ESO, and I agree sales are no indication on Game's quality. No reason for this to get into a heated discussion as to which game is better.

My point was to prove that ESO is a giant in the West (there are still many on these forums who think ESO is dying or dead).
  • WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    After it's debut on #1 spot as the best selling game on PS4 in June, ESO is still going strong and achieved #5 place in July. It's main competitor FFXIV (who just recently got it's 1st expansion) is far below at #19 (#18 in July). ESO's optional subscription seems to be bringing in some impressive revenue. ESO+ is #2 best selling DLC in july (#1 in June). Heavensward expansion (DLC) was at #5 in June, but has slipped off the top 10 list in July. With that said we can conclude that ESO has some giant numbers on the Consoles. I think we can all agree this is a solid proof.

I hate to break it to you but the base FF14 game was given to anyone who owned it on PS3 and wanted to transfer to PS4. So the 18 and 19 that it is sitting at would be greatly affected.

Originally posted by Waldoe

I hate to break it to you but the base FF14 game was given to anyone who owned it on PS3 and wanted to transfer to PS4. So the 18 and 19 that it is sitting at would be greatly affected.

Well to be honest game sales matter more to ESO than FFXIV (being B2P and all). You might have a point, but I'm still pretty sure ESO sold way more than FFXIV on PS4.

Hell ESO+ alone managed to beat Heavensward on it's Launch month by a big margin. Considering ESO+ is 15$ and Heavensward Expansion was the standard expansion price, it's fair to say that there were at least 10x more ESO players that subscribed to ESO+ than the number of players who bought the Heavensward Expansion.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Gees I was just pointing out how well ESO is doing on the Consoles xD FFXIV is "supposedly" 2nd best Subscription based MMO on PC behind WoW, so I thought it would be a good comparison. Especially as there is no other MMO to compare against on PS4 :D I understand some prefer FFXIV others ESO, and I agree sales are no indication on Game's quality. No reason for this to get into a heated discussion as to which game is better. My point was to prove that ESO is a giant in the West (there are still many on these forums who think ESO is dying or dead).

According to many on these forums, every MMO is either dying or dead.  I wouldn't lose any sleep over that fact.

I don't understand the FF comparison though.  Both are successful IMO.  If that was truly your point all you needed to point out was that ESO was selling well.  Which pretty much everyone but the "MMO's are dead" clique, already knew.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Originally posted by Boneserino What the hell are we trying to prove here?

Gees I was just pointing out how well ESO is doing on the Consoles xD FFXIV is "supposedly" 2nd best Subscription based MMO on PC behind WoW, so I thought it would be a good comparison. Especially as there is no other MMO to compare against on PS4 :D I understand some prefer FFXIV others ESO, and I agree sales are no indication on Game's quality. No reason for this to get into a heated discussion as to which game is better. My point was to prove that ESO is a giant in the West (there are still many on these forums who think ESO is dying or dead).

According to many on these forums, every MMO is either dying or dead.  I wouldn't lose any sleep over that fact.

I don't understand the FF comparison though.  Both are successful IMO.  If that was truly your point all you needed to point out was that ESO was selling well.  Which pretty much everyone but the "MMO's are dead" clique, already knew.

As I've said FFXIV is a very sucessful P2P MMO, and the only competitor to ESO on PS4. I'm sure a lot of people were expecting ESO to have "decent" sales, but not outselling FFXIV. However based on the DLC sales, ESO seems to have outsold FFXIV on the PS4 by A LOT. I mean this is huge for ESO fans, it means ESO has sold millions of copies on just 1 platform. Xbox1 has supposedly comparable sales as well.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

As I've said FFXIV is a very sucessful P2P MMO, and the only competitor to ESO on PS4. I'm sure a lot of people were expecting ESO to have "decent" sales, but not outselling FFXIV. However based on the DLC sales, ESO seems to have outsold FFXIV on the PS4 by A LOT. I mean this is huge for ESO fans, it means ESO has sold millions of copies on just 1 platform. Xbox1 has supposedly comparable sales as well.

Actually I don't think anyone had a good estimate of how well ESO would sell on console.  Skyrim sold what?  Around 9 million boxes on console it's first month?  So I don't think ESO selling well was shocking to that many people.

As for FFXIV I would have been surprised if they sold over a million Heavensward on console as it's debatable that they're over 2 million subscribers and I'm skeptical that more than half play on console. 

So no, ESO outselling Heavensward on console shouldn't have come as a shock to anyone.

• OxtromOxtrom Member UncommonPosts: 11

Alot of people in these forums still think That Eso unlimited(when it shifted to b2p) is the same game as release eso.

Hate to break it to you, its a completly different game, anyone that has played since the beggining and is playing now knows the game as improved a lot and when i mean a lot its a freaking LOT.

The people i see here hating on eso, either played  in beta or when it was first released and never played it again , and then they come to this forum to say the game is dead or that it sucks.

Whenever i see a person hating on Eso i ask "when was the last time you played eso?" if they say in 2014, i just stop the conversation there.  It's almost a different game the eso from 2014 and the eso of this year. So if you did play it in 2014 and are hating on it go play it right now, its b2p you dont have to spend any more money on it., and see for yourself how different it is.

There are even people that never played it and hate on it just for the sake of downgrading the game.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I like ESO. Interesting and tactical gameplay, and I love the focus on resource, not CD driven gameplay.