Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game suggestions?

DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127

Hi everyone

I am trying to find love again.  I like role playing MMOs.  My love was City of Heroes.  I could type endlessly about why I loved that game.  The glimmers of hope on the horizon (maybe) are City of Titans and Valiance Online.  I fear those games are far off.  I'll admit I am not necessarily seeking an exact copy of City of Heroes, but DAMN it was a fun game. 

For those who knew it and loved it, what game do you recommend I look into? 

For those who did not know the game, just a few spectacular traits of City of Heroes:

-the character appearance options were...well...insane!  I plunged right off that cliff of sanity into crazy options.  Human, mammal, reptile, alien, elemental, short, fat...TONS OF OPTIONS.

-You decided if you would fight for a side and those being good or evil.   Otherwise your character could almost be anything you could dream of being.

-POWER OPTIONS- not only did you decide class, but within those classes your options were sick!  One toon could be fire demon who had a flaming aura and the next toon could be a kid with powers to paralyze, heal, degrade or debuff any target.  Haven't seen this anywhere near the scale of CoH in any other game.

-Powersets were designed to promote teammage.  As a result, you could play entirely alone (I'll agree that took some skill depending on archetype) or you could easily just announce your desire to team and invites typically came within seconds,

Just those few traits I mentioned above made for a GREAT community.  My hopes are that NCSoft will right their wrong and give the game a massive overhaul and take advantage of the current superhuman media production.   You are welcome NCSoft and I haven't forgiven you yet. :p

Comments

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Agreed. :) CoH was quite the blast.

Well, when CoH died I kinda bounced between some  random indie games, then I got some money for Christmas and decided I'd sink my time into WoW. The biggest reason for me was that I knew the game wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. I absolutely hate wasting my time on something that only gets shut down not too long down the road.

So, I'd probably recommend WoW tbh. You won't have a huge amount of customization at the start, but when you get high enough and start transmogging/collecting mounts and stuff it can get pretty addicting. Anything else imo, is a hit or miss. You can play these other games that release and are failing a week after launch, who knows what will happen with them.

With WoW you know you have a stable game & community around it.

Plus, over the recent years they've made it a lot cheaper to start playing for new players. I remember when I started in Cata, it was like $70 just for the latest expansion, and like $60 for all of the others. Plus converted into Canadian $. It was quite a lot. XD

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546

The customization depth of CoH/CoV I don't think can be touched in the genre as a whole... At first, reading your post I want to suggest DC Universe, but sadly I don't think it would be your cup of tea. The PC controls are a bit sloppy and difficult to get used to (keyboard/mouse that is, even with a nice multi-button mouse) the game plays better with a controller.

What genre are you looking for? If you are looking for role play, and the freedom level you ask about -- I suppose customization as well to a degree -- I would want to suggest EvE, though like me you would probably be turned off by the time-based progression... Though the freedom of choice and such is amazing. Want to be a pirate? Go be a pirate. Want to fight for an empire? Go fight for an empire. Want to role play? Plenty of that going about. 

Good luck to you. 

• DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Thanks Unusual.  I will check EVE out, I know almost nothing about it other than it's space-based?  You are right about the customization part and what is funny is that NONE of the developers seem to be trying to replicate that.  I think that is why there was such an outcry when the game was suddenly shutdown.  There is nothing else like it ANYWHERE...but that's corporate for you.  Literally don't know their a** from a hole in the ground.  

I tried DCUO.  Yea it seemed almost kid-like.  Wasn't horrible.  Haven't seen a GOOD game that encourages team play.  Yes, you can play on team on other games, but if you just quit the game in the midst of anything your presence wouldn't be missed.  There is CABAL2 but holy crap that game is in open beta and it is ROUGH!  Again, corporate...poor decisions. 

Bleh!  I'm sounding gloomy.  Haha.  Frankly, the state of MMOs is very gloomy right now.  Studios are putting out things that people aren't really that into.  We will always have the people who get their jollies from shooting guns.  *Yawn*  Of course, there are exceptions i.e. GW2 and WoW.  Sadly for me, I don't enjoy playing either.  So...off to EVE!

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Ummm, Have you tried The Secret World??

As far as changing it up I'm doing some EQ2 Progression server.  I'm all into doing those quests.  
    Yea.  I'm not a zombie/horror fan.  It's not my genre.  EQ2?  Everquest?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Yeah EQ2 is Everquest 2.  Right now they have a Time Locked Progression server which put the game back "as close" as they could get it at game launch and they will add the expansion as people vote them in.  I'm digging it right now, I dunno, it is what it is... 
    You can try Wildstar. Though it is going FTP soon so may want to wait.
    Hi Blue

Played WS at launch as a founder.  That game just bombed! Haha.  It didn't run well on many machines (seriously lag).  I was in an active guild running dungeons and rather quickly everyone just stopped playing.  Too funny.  I was one of the last ones in the guild still playing...then finally I stopped.  Being f2p might make me go back until something better comes along.  It is a viable option.  Fingers crossed for City of Titans...whenever it is released.   I appreciate the input from everyone btw. :)