Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop or PC

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,255

Been seven years or so since my last mediocre desktop.  I hear that folks are gaming on laptops these days, and some of those have pretty darn good specs.

So, what is the trend?  Suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,432

A laptop costs maybe 50% more than similar desktop.

Get a desktop if you can, and a laptop only if you need to move it around.

If you want suggestions about which desktop or laptop, post info about how much you're willing to spend, and with desktops also info do you need the price to include monitor, keyboard and mouse or do you have old ones you can use.

For a gaming desktop, you can get a cheaper desktop that still runs all the games decently at about 600$ (+ price of monitor), or you can spend closer to 1 500$ to buy expensive desktop that runs all the games with graphic settings maxed out.

For a laptop you should be prepared to spend at least 1 000$ to get decent gaming performance, and can easily spend a lot more.

EDIT: Disclaimer: I don't live in USA so my price estimations for US prices are not always accurate /EDIT

Octagon7711

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,117
    If you have to ask, then you should probably get a desktop.  Even the best gaming laptop doesn't make a very good desktop.  Gaming laptops pack too much heat into too little space, which is bad for noise and reliability, while still not being able to come anywhere near desktop performance.  Laptops also have very small monitors and inferior keyboards, as well as not having a real mouse.  You can plug in an external monitor and keyboard and mouse to a laptop, but laptops tend to have a limited number of ports (my desktop has 7 USB ports in use right now).
    waynejr2
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,025

I've been gaming on a gaming laptop for about 6 years now.  I have no complaints.  There are more variations of gaming laptops today then ever before.  I personally have owned 4 Sagers (between my wife and myself).  I have never had an issue and they are really high quality and cheaper then the alienware and other flashier gaming laptops.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

There are other good gaming laptops as well.  Even the Alienware ones are good.  They are just more expensive then others (mostly for the name I'm guessing.  Like an Apple product).  If you have any questions, I will gladly help however I can.

Cecropia
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,060

In my experience, usually someone has some use in mind that is good for a laptop (taking notes in school, travelling, etc), and they want to be able to game.

~Usually~ your better off with two machines - a laptop that gets great battery life, is highly portable, low cost, and does laptop-y things very well (but won't game worth a squat); and a desktop optimized for gaming that games exceedingly well, and can probably do anything else you'd want to do with it pretty well, but isn't exactly portable.

That is almost always cheaper than a "gaming laptop" that can try to do both, but will do it worse than the two machines above will do.

Not saying there aren't some cases where a gaming laptop works, but it's pretty rare - they game ok, but not nearly as well as a desktop, and they are portable, but not nearly as laptop-y has a low power unit (in terms of weight, size, noise, and battery life).

MrMelGibson
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

If you're gonna sit at home and not move around to watch kids or TV or follow your wife or GF, definately desktop.

If you're gonna go over to friends to play with them, watch kids or got a wife you want to impress with your cook and gamer skills at the same time, definately laptop!

MrMelGibson

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    If you travel a lot for business/training/armed forces or you are a college student then a laptop would be good for convenience.  If you don't fall under any of the two categories, build a desktop.
    Asm0deus
    Ridelynn said:

In my experience, usually someone has some use in mind that is good for a laptop (taking notes in school, travelling, etc), and they want to be able to game.

~Usually~ your better off with two machines - a laptop that gets great battery life, is highly portable, low cost, and does laptop-y things very well (but won't game worth a squat); and a desktop optimized for gaming that games exceedingly well, and can probably do anything else you'd want to do with it pretty well, but isn't exactly portable.

That is almost always cheaper than a "gaming laptop" that can try to do both, but will do it worse than the two machines above will do.

Not saying there aren't some cases where a gaming laptop works, but it's pretty rare - they game ok, but not nearly as well as a desktop, and they are portable, but not nearly as laptop-y has a low power unit (in terms of weight, size, noise, and battery life).

Are you talking about gaming laptops from 2006?  Or today in 2018?  Gaming laptops run games much better than just "ok".  I can pretty much run anything just as well as any decent gaming desktop.  Your information is very old and/or misinformed.  
  • XodicXodic Member EpicPosts: 1,138
    If by gaming laptop you mean a hot, noisy, power hungry machine that requires a power outlet or a car battery in your backpack, then you should just get a desktop for half the price.

Those laptops are only right for certain people, such as travelers and coffee shop loiters.
    MrMelGibson
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,231

Been seven years or so since my last mediocre desktop.  I hear that folks are gaming on laptops these days, and some of those have pretty darn good specs.

So, what is the trend?  Suggestions?

Thanks.

Desktop always if for gaming and you don't need it to play while traveling due to job etc etc
    MrMelGibson

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,117
    Ridelynn said:

Are you talking about gaming laptops from 2006?  Or today in 2018?  Gaming laptops run games much better than just "ok".  I can pretty much run anything just as well as any decent gaming desktop.  Your information is very old and/or misinformed.  
    Neither.  2015.  Read the date stamp on the thread before you reply.  And preferably don't reply if it's years old.
    Xodic
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,344
    How the hell did this get necroed?
    XodicAsm0deus
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:

Neither.  2015.  Read the date stamp on the thread before you reply.  And preferably don't reply if it's years old.
    They were just fine in 2015 as well. It's obvious those so against them have either never owned one or owned one a very long time ago.  Your information needs updating. 
    Asm0deus
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,231
    edited April 2018
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:

They were just fine in 2015 as well. It's obvious those so against them have either never owned one or owned one a very long time ago.  Your information needs updating. 
    I like laptops they can be very useful but if you're into gaming and just game at home there's zero need to pay more "just to have a laptop" when a desktop will do a better job and last longer....seems like you're the one with a bias here.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,432
    edited April 2018
    MrMelGibson said:

You're wrong. Desiny 1 does not release on PC.
       https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/420482/destiny-launching-on-pc/p1

Now do you understand what you do wrong when you start arguing against several years old posts?

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,657
    Always depend on your situation and kind of games you are playing.
    If hgh end gaming, there is no other way than a desktop..not even the craziest priced laptop can compare to 1500$ desktop.
    If you are playing medium requirement games (rule of thumb, if the game also releases on consoles), then a laptop can be good enough - But still unless you game while on the move, or need a laptop for work and don't wan't both, then it is not good value for money to get a laptop for gaming.
    Asm0deusMrMelGibson
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:

Web forums need to get their act together an not allow replies to posts after N amount of time.  And change the background color on old posts to make it even more obvious.  Communication to the users.
    QuizzicalAsm0deusRidelynn
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,877
    Someone found the thread and posted in it.
    Asm0deusMrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    OK, let me try again:  Why the hell did this get necroed?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,967
    Tiller said:
    I've Googled questions about games or gaming rigs and it has brought me to old forum threads here lots of times.
    TillerAsm0deusMrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,967
    edited April 2018
    I have both and have gone with that setup for a lot of years.  Just make sure the laptop has a good cooling pad.  Burnt my very first one out I was playing on it so much, luckily it was still under warranty and they replaced all the insides, after that no problems with a good cooling pad.
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Tiller said:
    Because someone found the thread and posted in it.  :*

Asm0deusRidelynn

Tiller said:

That's how, not why.  What was the motivation?
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,877
    Tiller said:

1. To continue the discussion
    2. To get people to reply to an old conversion for some lolz
    MrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Asm0deus said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:

I like laptops they can be very useful but if you're into gaming and just game at home there's zero need to pay more "just to have a laptop" when a desktop will do a better job and last longer....seems like you're the one with a bias here.

Not bias, just obviously not oblivious when it comes to this subject.  Having a messed up back from my injury in the military.  It makes it easier for me to game for longer periods of time if I can lay down.  I also travel from time to time for work so it comes in handy. 

I've had 6 gaming laptops (counting the ones I bought my wife).  Not one has given me any serious issue.  I used each one for 4-5 years and only got a new for the performance upgrade.  I have given my last one to my parents.  They only use it for Facebook and e-mail, but it's going strong at 7 years.  

Are desktops more powerful with more upgrade availability? Sure, but the power gap is not very big.  Are gaming laptops more expensive?  Well no shit, all tech typically gets more expensive the smaller it gets.  Is there any game on the market my gaming laptop with a 1070 can't play?  Nope, everything plays 60+ FPS and barely raises a few Celsius.
    Tiller said:

It was my fault.  I was looking at my account and notice a new like or lol.  Followed the notification .  Posted and replied before I realized this was an old post lol.  So no real motivation other than reply to a comment I assumed was recent.
    MightyUncleanRidelynn