Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous Horizons

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

mazut said:
    I understand that the game didnt get enough money to complete the game. I understand that the current game is empty and unfinished, but I don't like the full expansion price for something that will make the current "alpha" unfinished game to get a little bit more close to full released game.
    ED isn't the unfinished game still in alpha, maybe you've mixed up your games?

..Cake..

svandy said:
    Elite is already pretty fun, just needs more content!
    I agree on both points.
    Thankfully I'm excited FD is full aware of this and I like the direction new content is heading.

..Cake..

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Because you're not paying for the base game again.

New accounts get the base game included for a reduced price ie $60 total = $15 base game + $45 Horizons, whereas existing accounts can purchase Horizons for $45.

Does that make sense?

This is a limited offer. So clearly this is not true. If this was true then this offer would also always be true. 
  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Personally I find Everspace to be a bit more promising and a less expensive buy in currently, even if I do have to wait to play it. Only $22 to get a copy upon release now. At this rate it will likely come out well before SC. I was considering trying out Elite Dangerous but given the complaints about a lack of content I'm inclined to invest in Everspace instead.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockfishgames/everspace

It has already hit it's goal so it's pretty safe to buy in now. They seem to be confident they can deliver by next year. I can wait.

Nailzzz said:

Personally I find Everspace to be a bit more promising and a less expensive buy in currently, even if I do have to wait to play it. Only $22 to get a copy upon release now. At this rate it will likely come out well before SC. I was considering trying out Elite Dangerous but given the complaints about a lack of content I'm inclined to invest in Everspace instead.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockfishgames/everspace

It has already hit it's goal so it's pretty safe to buy in now. They seem to be confident they can deliver by next year. I can wait.

I've backed Everspace as well.. it looks great fun and the graphics are absolutely gorgeous.
    However I would still buy the lifetime pass for Elite in a heartbeat... why should I limit myself to one space game.

..Cake..

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    edited September 2015

Erillion said:
    Yep but SC is P2W, while ED is not.  

There is a reason that SC is cheaper initial purchase, and its because the game is massively P2W.  And sells everything in the cash shop.  Want more weapons, see the cash shop, more powerful ship, yep cash shop.  Want in game credits, yep again cash shop.    

The SC fanboys always like to ignore the gameplay price for that cheaper initial purchase.  
    Everything in SC can be bought with in game money, without the need for external real world cash. NOTHING in SC can only be bought by real world cash ... its one of the basic game design principles of SC. There are NO exclusive "premium" items like you would see in other games (e.g. premium ammo in WoT).

After the game launches you CANNOT buy ships with real world cash. Yes, there is a conversion factor between real world cash and in game cash. No, your wallet  for that kind of cash is of limited size, too small for buying a ship, large enough to buy ship skins or temporary tuning kits.

You CAN rent (for testing) all of these items for a time with an in game money variant called REC which you can earn from playtesting. Lets you try out ships and items without the need for real world cash.

@TheYear1500 .. you all knew this ... we had this discussion on the SC subforum often enough. You just keep rehashing the P2W argument. The P2W thread at the official forum is at approx. 18,000 posts nowadays. EVERYTHING about that topic has been said 2+ years ago. It has long since degenerated into a matter of opinion. Only the official launch will show how it really is.

Coming back to E:D .... their cash shop offers ship skins only. But on the other hand, you HAVE to buy the DLCs at a IMHO quite steep price  to get the full functionality. Whereas in SC that initial 25 $ was enough.

Have fun

So what if you can buy it in game, does not make it magically not P2W.  Its still P2W.  CIG state (as a early number) that a Constalation would take 60 hours to earn in game, or you could purchase one now and get it instantly.  That is P2W.  

Yes you can in fact purchase ships with real world cash because you can purchase ingame credits for real world cash.  So you can buy ships.  Also CIG have already said that if the players want them to continue to sell ships directly for cash then they will.  So in other words until the game launches and you can't buy ships directly with cash, its a wait and see.  NVM just because you can't purchase ships directly after launch (assuming that happens), does not change the fact the game is P2W.  A ship purchased the day before launch has the same impact  (actually more) then a ship purchased a day after launch.    

Yes you can rent, in their endless freemium grind.  yay, again does not change the P2W aspect of AC.  

You have yet to show how SC is not P2W.  Perhaps you forgot that aspect of your post.  

LOL its not full functinallity its expansions, same as many other games.  Love how the SC fanboys try and twist it.  I would still rather pay for expansions then have the P2W system of SC.  
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    We already had this discussion a few times on the SC subforum.

No sense in repeating it here in the E:D forum.

Lets wait and see what happens after launch.

Have fun
    edited September 2015
    Erillion said:
    We already had this discussion a few times on the SC subforum.

No sense in repeating it here in the E:D forum.

Lets wait and see what happens after launch.

Have fun
    You are the one talking about how much cheaper SC is.  You should also then talk about how SC is P2W to offset that lower price.

I just think people should be informed, and not rely on your edited only positive spin version of SC.  
    Post edited by TheYear1500 on
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    You are the one talking about how much cheaper SC is.  You should also then talk about how SC is P2W to offset that lower price.

I just think people should be informed, and not rely on your edited only positive spin version of SC.  
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/212815/katamari-damashii-pay-to-win

421 pages of posts about P2W in SC .... many thousands of posts ... many facts, even more opinions

Go on ... anyone who wants can inform himself/herself. To any level of detail desired.

Have fun

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    edited September 2015
    it appears to me  they will continue this for all expansions  so its  worth just waiting for all the expansions to come out
    then buy  the game again in 3-4 years when  its more complete 

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited September 2015
    zimboy69 said:
    it appears to me  they will continue this for all expansions  so its  worth just waiting for all the expansions to come out

Indeed. You can buy now and play now or wait and get the whole kaboodle at a later date.
    --

Patch 1.4 hit the beta server along with CQC (Close Quarters Combat) which is immense fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rvPEBSotO0
  • zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    zimboy69 said:

Indeed. You can buy now and play now or wait and get the whole kaboodle at a later date.
    --

Patch 1.4 hit the beta server along with CQC (Close Quarters Combat) which is immense fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rvPEBSotO0
    I already own  elite dangerous  and dont see anything in the new expansion which makes me want to buy it

Way im looking at it  is this
    I played elite  for about 8 weeks
    it felt empty and  nothing  much happening it really felt like elite of 1984 again reskinned

i kept thinking they will add  new things but nothing came
    so i dont  play  any more

the  new expansion   is  not enough  to justify the  price  to be honest if it was free  im not even sure  i would load elite up to have a look at it  thats how little i think it  offers

for the same money i could buy at least one  AAA game which would give me loads of content and a new experience
    whats worse the base game still  feels so incomplete and  not much to do
    its almost like these features  are to be part of the base game and taken out  just   to sell for  money

zimboy69 said:
    I already own  elite dangerous  and dont see anything in the new expansion which makes me want to buy it

Then don't. Wait and get it down the line cheaper or get it when they bundle it with other expansions.

Way im looking at it  is this
    I played elite  for about 8 weeks
    it felt empty and  nothing  much happening it really felt like elite of 1984 again reskinned

So you played an empty game for EIGHT WEEKS?.. errr

i kept thinking they will add  new things but nothing came
    so i dont  play  any more

Even though they have been adding new things? Did you miss the content patches? Powerplay? CQC and Planetary Landings coming before the end of the year?

for the same money i could buy at least one  AAA game which would give me loads of content and a new experience

Elite has content, it could use more but it's a pretty unique experience imho.
    There's not many games that play like Elite.

whats worse the base game still  feels so incomplete and  not much to do
    its almost like these features  are to be part of the base game and taken out  just   to sell for  money

Well they developed the game in what? Two years? It was pretty awesome for that development time.
    They also mentioned they'd continue adding to it after release and they have/are.

Maybe you expected a lot more and should wait a few years until a few expansions are out in order to go back to it.

..Cake..

• ferndipferndip Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Entertainment cost money, buy it or don't it is that easy.
    In comparison, FF14 just released an expansion that cost $40
    I waited a month & bought it for $30
    Good chance you can do the same with Horizons a month after release.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    As much as I love the idea, I think the gameplay currently offered is very shallow.

If you look at it objectively, were this a publisher game released as it is now, it would likely not get outstanding reviews.

This is slowly becoming a trend in the crowdfunding world. The developer declares a game as finished and shoves additional content under a paywall. Overall, it is not a good deal for me as an early backer who paid a fairly generous pledge.
    Well it's a conundrum isn't it. People either understand that the game has only had 2.5 years development and adjust their expectations correspondingly or they expect it to have the same content as a game that's had 5-6 years development, which is just unreasonable.
    I would rather have a functioning game that I can play now, that I can drop in and out of as I please, than wait another 3-4 years before I could play.

Frontier don't consider it finished, hence the continual free content patches. Besides, what MMOs are there that don't make you pay for expansions via subscriptions or as a one off fee?
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Well it's a conundrum isn't it. People either understand that the game has only had 2.5 years development and adjust their expectations correspondingly or they expect it to have the same content as a game that's had 5-6 years development, which is just unreasonable.
    I would rather have a functioning game that I can play now, that I can drop in and out of as I please, than wait another 3-4 years before I could play.

Frontier don't consider it finished, hence the continual free content patches. Besides, what MMOs are there that don't make you pay for expansions via subscriptions or as a one off fee?
    Most of the issue for me and some others  appears to be that we do not feel it is worth the money for the expac. Which as you say, either people will be ok with it or not.

Me personally, it is just not worth it now since even with the planet landings (if they were coming when i pay even) i am just bored of the game. So i will pass this expac and see what develops in a year.  Save the cash from this expac since i do not feel it is worth paying for. 

Now the thing is will i even have a care to try again in another year? Well that is also something that is a personal choice and i wonder how many of the players are making the same choice i am? If it is enough maybe it will get the attention of the dev's and they will put out expacs with more content or at least all at once, not this pay now and maybe see it in months. 

This continual pay before you go so we can make the game is getting old to me. Once you get a released game you should not use that way of getting cash. Just seems wrong to me.
    DarLorkar said:
    Most of the issue for me and some others  appears to be that we do not feel it is worth the money for the expac. Which as you say, either people will be ok with it or not.

Me personally, it is just not worth it now since even with the planet landings (if they were coming when i pay even) i am just bored of the game. So i will pass this expac and see what develops in a year.  Save the cash from this expac since i do not feel it is worth paying for. 

Now the thing is will i even have a care to try again in another year? Well that is also something that is a personal choice and i wonder how many of the players are making the same choice i am? If it is enough maybe it will get the attention of the dev's and they will put out expacs with more content or at least all at once, not this pay now and maybe see it in months. 

This continual pay before you go so we can make the game is getting old to me. Once you get a released game you should not use that way of getting cash. Just seems wrong to me.

That's making a value judgement while not even having half of the facts, surely it would be better to wait for further information about the contents of the expansion before deciding if it's worth it or not. I don't know anything about Fallout 4 but I certainly wouldn't declare it not worth $60. I would do my research or wait for more details or even hold off until the game is released before declaring it unworthy.

DarLorker said "This continual pay before you go so we can make the game is getting old to me."

I don't understand this, the company is purely trying to get an early return on its investment. That's business 101.

The only problem with pre-ordering is people's lack of willpower and lack of willingness to research their purchases, otherwise it's just as optional as it has always been. You make it sound as though you're being forced to pay now.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I love Elite Dangerous to death. Wait a year or so to buy it.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I'm interested in the game, but have the patience (and lack of time to invest) that I can wait until they have several expansions out before buying in at a later stage (and paying just one time for all of it - even if a bit inflated at that point).  I can't see buying it just now with this model.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    DarLorkar said:

That's making a value judgement while not even having half of the facts, surely it would be better to wait for further information about the contents of the expansion before deciding if it's worth it or not. I don't know anything about Fallout 4 but I certainly wouldn't declare it not worth $60. I would do my research or wait for more details or even hold off until the game is released before declaring it unworthy.

DarLorker said "This continual pay before you go so we can make the game is getting old to me."

I don't understand this, the company is purely trying to get an early return on its investment. That's business 101.

The only problem with pre-ordering is people's lack of willpower and lack of willingness to research their purchases, otherwise it's just as optional as it has always been. You make it sound as though you're being forced to pay now.
    You are right it is impossible to say an expansion is worth it when we know so little.

To me, the problem is I don't feel the base game was worth it. It has some nice systems, the procedural generation inspired by actual data is really nice. But in terms of actual playable content, I feel it is lacking. There is nothing wrong with what there is now - missions are working nicely, docking is quite unique - but I don't think it is enough to call it "a full game".

I get that the development needs to be funded somehow, and perhaps what was funded so far is simply not enough to deliver all the features to make it a substantial game. At the same time, I paid at the 80$ mark and I feel like I should get access to more content.

What the company is doing, is essentially saying "For your 80$ pledge, this is what you got. If you want anything beyond that, you have to pay extra.". In comparison with Fallout 4, I will be getting a lot more content for a lower pricetag. I do realise there is a huge difference in Fallout and Elite in terms of both funding and development time, but I do wonder if there was a more fair payment model that Elite could choose.

What do you think about the payment model? Would there be one that lets old backers like me get more content without needing to pay more?
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Basing of what is written about the expansion, never played the game, so not sure how true they are to scale, but if they're making land-able plants and moons to 1:1 scale, you do realise that it will take you more than a day to fully walk around a handful right? some of these moons range from 500km up in radius (notice i'm only talking about moons so far). On top of this they're planning things for you to do on these moon and planets.

IMHO feel like some of you are downplaying what they're trying to do, just so not to pay anything. Which seems to be a common thing these days. Not saying buy in the hype, but if they achieve what they're doing the price will be more than reasonable and depending on when you bought it, it'll be a full year since the last time people have paid anything. 

/shrug 
    DarLorkar said:

Don't you find that a bit ridiculous of an argument of "value judgement " when they have no problem asking people to pay up front NOW? 

Just as well say the same thing about a company ready to get my cash with not enough facts too right?

But wait the company getting "early return" on THEIR money is fine...just business 101 .wow..just wow.

Talk about being someone with blinders on. I appear to be doing exactly what you say to do, be patient  do research and have the willpower to say hell no not getting my cash. 

But i get the value judgement speech?  The company gets a pass? Why?

DarLorkar said:
    DarLorkar said:

Don't you find that a bit ridiculous of an argument of "value judgement " when they have no problem asking people to pay up front NOW? 

Just as well say the same thing about a company ready to get my cash with not enough facts too right?

But wait the company getting "early return" on THEIR money is fine...just business 101 .wow..just wow.

Talk about being someone with blinders on. I appear to be doing exactly what you say to do, be patient  do research and have the willpower to say hell no not getting my cash. 

So do you go to all the other games threads and complain when they have pre-orders?   Again, you are complaining about the option of making a purchase.  Why should they not ask for money up front?  How is that different then almost every other company on the planet?  You pre-order phones, TV's, movies, books, games, and many many other things.  Do you go around crying to them about how unfair it is that they give people the option of pre-ordering?

Of course they get a pass because its normal in the gaming industry, heck its not even a pass because its NORMAL and EXPECTED that a game will have a pre-order.  Welcome to game purchases for the past 20+ years now.         
    DarLorkar said:
    DarLorkar said:

So do you go to all the other games threads and complain when they have pre-orders?   Again, you are complaining about the option of making a purchase.  Why should they not ask for money up front?  How is that different then almost every other company on the planet?  You pre-order phones, TV's, movies, books, games, and many many other things.  Do you go around crying to them about how unfair it is that they give people the option of pre-ordering?

Of course they get a pass because its normal in the gaming industry, heck its not even a pass because its NORMAL and EXPECTED that a game will have a pre-order.  Welcome to game purchases for the past 20+ years now.         
    No the way they are doing things is NOT normal. They want me to pay in advance or hell even when they START to release what they call an expansion, and then slowly deliver that so called expansion over a year. 

If you think that is normal then YOU may need to go check around a bit.