Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MMORPGS to get excited about for the foreseeable future

Comments

• OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    What would this forum be like if a great game did come along and everybody not only liked it but we all played it? WTF is that even possible?
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    edited June 2016
    Sulaa said:
    observer said:
    Crowfall?
    Star Citizen?
    Camelot Unchained?
    Chronicles of Elyria?
    etc.

There's a lot of upcoming ones.

Not much people give a s*#$ about niche indie MMOs.

The sooner we get back to niche MMO's with smaller like-minded player bases, the better. The quality has to be there though.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    scorpex-x said:
    Why are people saying Blizzard gave up on mmorpg, they have the most profitable, the most popular mmorpg that exists.  When you are number one you don't make anymore because you already beat everyone and are king of the genre.  If you don't like wow anymore then too bad for you, it's still the undisputed leader.

If you have the biggest, most profitable mmorpg on the market you would be insane to make another one because it could hurt that title. 

To give you an idea of how popular wow is (even now), it's closes competitor in the p2p arena is FFXIV.  FFXIV is on pc, ps3, ps4 and mac and has been released worldwide (including on steam) and it's considered a success even though it has never even broken 1 million subscribers.  Wow is 15 years old? and is fairly cheap to produce content for compared to 14,and at it's lowest point ever has well over 3 million subscribers.

I don't think for a moment that Blizzard has given up on MMO's, its just that they appear to be something of the perfectionists, if a game doesn't measure up to their fairly rigorous standards, it appears they are prepared to can the whole thing, in that respect Titan is a good example, that they managed to use assets from it to create Overwatch, a massively successful game in its own right, kind of gives you the idea of just how high those standards are. I think personally that Blizzard will eventually release another MMO, and whatever it is, i look forward to seeing it, because when they finally do, its probably going to be huge, it is unlikely to be F2P, it might be B2P, but odds on favourite, i think it will be P2P, because if there is one thing that WoW, FFXIV:ARR, Eve Online, and to some extent SW:TOR have proved, its that if the game is good enough, then people will pay the subscription.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    There are indie mmos in development that cover just about the entire gamut of tastes. If someone can't find something among them that interests them, they might as well find a moba or a shooter because this genre will never interest you again.

• KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I am decently excited about Crowfall... and I preordered Camelot Unchained, although I regret it. 
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    edited June 2016
    Played few very old mmorpg's,

than i went for some more of GW2, its a good game but you get bored if you play it for long, (since there isnt any real gear progression, pvp seems like moba, but fun one at that)

installed Archeage just to see how empty the servers are and keep my char names ,since Trion is getting desperate by threatening players they will lose char names if they dont log on ,what a laught, unninstalled again couse im too tired to grind 4 Apex and dont have time to race with p2w players

installed Tera Online, got 2nd BiS gear in like 1-2 weeks, went to new new new, top dungeons that were rehashed, and hm, with no new content, got bored unninstalled

decided to play witcher 3, but need to get witcher 2 first, so the world and both games amased me how good they are ,tho they dont last forever unfortunatelly,

installed Wildstar to check out how its going now when its on steam, and saw filled newbie zones, honestly i was having trouble getting the mobs how many new players there are,
    and the game is a blast, maybe first time while leveling that i am actually having fun, and the world is stunning, once i adapted to the cartoonish graphics, i saw what depth Wildstar offers.. gonna need months for it, and thats a good thing :)

so.. while im getting excited for possible good mmo's like Crowfall, Camelot, Elyria, SC, EQN, and few others, i wont waste time waiting for possible flops, ill play what grants me fun at this time, and when the future does come ill know if the hype was real.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

so.. while im getting excited for possible good mmo's like Crowfall, Camelot, Elyria, SC, EQN, and few others, i wont waste time waiting for possible flops, ill play what grants me fun at this time, and when the future does come ill know if the hype was real.
    Don't bother waiting for EQ:Not! it was cancelled weeks ago. 
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    edited June 2016
    There are plenty of games. They're just mediocre at best or in perpetual Alpha at worst.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    only Camelot Unchained , was interested for  War40k Eternal Crusade,SotA ... and other crap but seems  at end I ll stick with old mmo's made before 2010
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Cecropia said:

No obsession here. I don't give two shits if Blizzard makes another MMORPG or not. 

Yet you post as much as i do on the issue, and you claim I am obsessed?
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Alders said:

The sooner we get back to niche MMO's with smaller like-minded player bases, the better. The quality has to be there though.
    "better" is subjective. may be for you ... but clearly not for those who would like AAA polished games. 
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    observer said:
    observer said:
    Crowfall?                           Yawn
    Star Citizen?                      Vaporware??
    Camelot Unchained?       donated to the kickstarter but not going to play
    Chronicles of Elyria?        great for a laugh, how soon will this one die?
    etc.

LOL
    Which past mmos would you consider great then?  Let me guess, you hated those too.  Typical mmo gamers, always looking for the non-existent, "perfect", mmo.  :confused:
    Great, EQ, EQ2 through to Kunark, WoW through to WotLK, Rift vanila. Planeshift showed promise but never delivered there were others and there were some I missed due to work or because I was too busy playing something else.
    Many people didn't consider EQ2 great.  WoW was also considered too easy by veterans.  Rift was laughed at for being the first real WoW clone.  Never tried Planeshift.  My point is, we shouldn't judge these upcoming mmos too harshly without trying them first.  
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    This is just me but the whole f2p and cash shop thing has killed pretty much any desire for me to even want to play 99% of the MMO's currently out there. I have seen a lot of good "concepts" only to be watered down because they are f2p with cash shop. If they ever decide to make a AAA MMO without either of those, I might reconsider.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm just waiting for Mass Effect to become an MMO... and cash shops don't bother me.  :)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CrimsonSixCrimsonSix Member UncommonPosts: 42
    WoW made MMOs a mainstream genre and laid out a blueprint for what works. Every major developer is now following this blueprint because it's safe. I can't blame this for it, but it's surely gotten pretty stale and everyone can feel it. I think sooner of later someone with balls, money, and vision will come through and break the genre out of the funk. Like Elon Musk but for mmos.

In the meantime, I am plenty excited for indie/niche mmos. WoW legacy saga has shown there are multiple niches in the MMO market, and they are not necessarily small. If 100,000 players want a specific MMO and you can make it, you stand to earn some serious cash. An RvR mmo with no raids, or an MMO for raiders where you start out at max level and just do raids, etc, etc. I am perfectly fine with a world not dominated by a single MMO that everyone plays. Variety is good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    observer said:
    observer said:
    observer said:
    Crowfall?                           Yawn
    Star Citizen?                      Vaporware??
    Camelot Unchained?       donated to the kickstarter but not going to play
    Chronicles of Elyria?        great for a laugh, how soon will this one die?
    etc.

LOL
    Which past mmos would you consider great then?  Let me guess, you hated those too.  Typical mmo gamers, always looking for the non-existent, "perfect", mmo.  :confused:
    Great, EQ, EQ2 through to Kunark, WoW through to WotLK, Rift vanila. Planeshift showed promise but never delivered there were others and there were some I missed due to work or because I was too busy playing something else.
    Many people didn't consider EQ2 great.  WoW was also considered too easy by veterans.  Rift was laughed at for being the first real WoW clone.  Never tried Planeshift.  My point is, we shouldn't judge these upcoming mmos too harshly without trying them first.  
    Yep taste is a personal thing. But I know that I won't like Camelot Unchained, but I expect it to be a good game other people like maybe even love.  The others on your list I don't think will be delivered or will be bad, subjective opinion of course. Pantheon I am hoping will be good, but I have low expectations, I an not sure it will release and the quality of the product is unknowable at this point.
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    The only upcoming MMO that I'm even remotely interested in is Soul Worker Online and thats only cause its the closest thing we'll get to a westernized PSO2 which is what I currently play. 
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    ive come to the conclusion i only ever loved one mmorpg and that was vanilla wow , and ive played every AAA mmorpg thats come  out since and never stuck with them for longer than a year so im just gonna have to admit that mmorpgs aint my thing, they cant be otherwise id atleast have more than one that i like as there is so many but meh... i liked Rift when it came out and Tera online, and FF14arr , wildstar sucked , swtor was a disappointment, Warhammer was a mess, Aion was a grind fest, Elder scrolls online wasnt "elder scrolls", lord of the rings online was dated, Age of conan was dull ,current wow is a noobfest and so on and so forth.

ye im pretty much done, ive got so many accounts for so many games that i dont use so many i cant even remember the login for half of them.....meh im done :dizzy:
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I am looking forward to:

WoW's Legion expansion
    Pantheon, Rise of the Fallen
    Bless

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    the only game im looking forward to is "i am setsuna" but its not a mmo its JRPG it kinda reminds me of ff7 , i might give albion a go and maybe lost ark when they are released
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 910
    Its true..the only game that hold me up is the waiting for Lost ark

• SeloSelo Member UncommonPosts: 108
    rush1984 said:
    the only game im looking forward to is "i am setsuna" but its not a mmo its JRPG it kinda reminds me of ff7 , i might give albion a go and maybe lost ark when they are released
    Also gonna buy it. Way to few turn based jrpgs in the sea of boring action combat rpgs.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    rush1984 said:
    Really?  I immediately think Chrono Trigger.  There are so many differences between this and FF7.  Only thing I see that is similar is that it's turn based combat.  Either way, I can't wait to play it.