Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MMORPGS to get excited about for the foreseeable future

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    paulytheb said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    paulytheb said:
    paulytheb said: *snip*

Nice try pal but it's a PvP game no matter how you try to sugar coat it. Why would I play this when I can play a true pve game like Pantheon. 
    , and is going to surprise a lot of people.
    same thing was said about Darkfall.

I personally think the such statements about Darkfall (that it would suprise) are warranted and its a great game for its time but it appears the market of 'a lot of people' didnt agree.
    I have in fact been wrong before ! LOL

This is why I am waiting for games to launch, before they even get a whiff of my money.

I still hope a couple of these games are good, including Crowfall. History says most will fail though.
    wise move to ignore the static. I would in the meantime play awesome games in which you can play now. They do exist currently just not in the MMO market

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Right now, I'm playing MWO. Which is really a shooter, so I suck, but at least it is Battletech flavored. Getting blown up by a Marauder and an Atlas? Yeah that is kinda cool and nostalgic to me.

I figure it is helping get my PVP practice in.

I have DDO,STO and Path of Exile on my PC for online games besides a couple card games.

I downloaded Wildstar just to have a look and I heard the housing was cool. I have barely played, it just makes me want to puke. I'm not even sure I made it outside of the new player zone, probably not!

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

paulytheb said:
    Right now, I'm playing MWO. Which is really a shooter, so I suck, but at least it is Battletech flavored. Getting blown up by a Marauder and an Atlas? Yeah that is kinda cool and nostalgic to me.

I figure it is helping get my PVP practice in.

I have DDO,STO and Path of Exile on my PC for online games besides a couple card games.

I downloaded Wildstar just to have a look and I heard the housing was cool. I have barely played, it just makes me want to puke. I'm not even sure I made it outside of the new player zone, probably not!

I am having the best time ever with empyrion galactic survival lately

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    SEANMCAD said:
    paulytheb said:*snip*

I saw that on Steam, looks cool. Early access though. I'll check it out when its done, unless it pulls an ARK and tries to launch a expansion while still in "BETA". LOL

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

paulytheb said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    paulytheb said:*snip*

I saw that on Steam, looks cool. Early access though. I'll check it out when its done, unless it pulls an ARK and tries to launch a expansion while still in "BETA". LOL
    I would never avoid a purchase based on business practices if the game play was good, but ok whateverz

• NiikoloNiikolo Member CommonPosts: 3
    I'm working on a MMORPG game inspired by the original Diablos and Runescape. It's called Rips.Online, a free to play game. 
    (Yes that is Edgar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isyQrw9pQnM
    Some gameplay footage there ^^

We are still polishing the graphics, and adding more features before we officially release it on July 31st. Would love you guys to come check it out. I want to do a tournament have and reward the number 1 fighter $100... 

What do you guys think? Any advice or tips? There will be no in-game purchases like these other games. I don't like that shit. It ruins games...

I'd love some serious feedback!
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:
    OP, Are you living under a Rock? ;)

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation
    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
    Not everyone likes the same thing. For instance CoE is toward the bottom of my list for games that might be my eventual MMO, and the other two aren't even on it.

Crowfall is 2nd from the top on my list and the OP specifically says it doesn't look good to him.
    two words

Dual
    Universe
    Eh. Sci-Fi games don't even really make it on my radar unless they are called Star Citizen. If it totally flops on it's face maybe that will change but as is the main reason I even care about the Sci-Fi genre is how much I loved Freelancer (Chris Robert's last game.) I was one of those weird FL vets that never saw SG1, Star Trek, or almost any sci-fi series other than Star Wars and Firefly.

Fantasy games do make it on my radar because there is no fantasy MMO in development that seems to offer absolutely everything I want from an fantasy MMO.
    I am constantly floored at how uninterested people are in crafting and building
    That's because many of these games don't "do it well".

But we've had this conversation already ...
    That is largely true. The WoW crafting system holds little allure for me anymore and it's probably one of the most commonly cloned aspects of WoW. Even games like Darkfall and Runescape that are clearly not WoW clones tend to clone the general jist of it's crafting system.

Gather Resources > Execute Timer > Out Pops Item > Skill Goes Up

Even EVE's crafting system is essentially a clone of this without a timer and the final step. Wurm is really the only game that I've seen that does it differently by adding an improvement step which can take minutes or hours to actually make your newly created item worth using.

There needs to be some variety in crafting. I'm ok with crafting taking effort but I'm tired of the materials it takes to make low level items being worth more than the finished product. Taking effort out of the process does that.
    edited June 2017
    Eldurian said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation
    Not everyone likes the same thing. For instance CoE is toward the bottom of my list for games that might be my eventual MMO, and the other two aren't even on it.

Crowfall is 2nd from the top on my list and the OP specifically says it doesn't look good to him.
    two words

Dual
    Universe
    Eh. Sci-Fi games don't even really make it on my radar unless they are called Star Citizen. If it totally flops on it's face maybe that will change but as is the main reason I even care about the Sci-Fi genre is how much I loved Freelancer (Chris Robert's last game.) I was one of those weird FL vets that never saw SG1, Star Trek, or almost any sci-fi series other than Star Wars and Firefly.

Fantasy games do make it on my radar because there is no fantasy MMO in development that seems to offer absolutely everything I want from an fantasy MMO.

That is largely true. The WoW crafting system holds little allure for me anymore and it's probably one of the most commonly cloned aspects of WoW. Even games like Darkfall and Runescape that are clearly not WoW clones tend to clone the general jist of it's crafting system.

Gather Resources > Execute Timer > Out Pops Item > Skill Goes Up

Even EVE's crafting system is essentially a clone of this without a timer and the final step. Wurm is really the only game that I've seen that does it differently by adding an improvement step which can take minutes or hours to actually make your newly created item worth using.

There needs to be some variety in crafting. I'm ok with crafting taking effort but I'm tired of the materials it takes to make low level items being worth more than the finished product. Taking effort out of the process does that.
    and durability (in wurm).

the thing is the crafting system in something like wurm is only a few tiers more involved (quality and durability) but doing so adds much more of feeling of depth so I dont understand why more 'mainstream' games dont spend a little effort making crafting a little more deeper then instead literally going out of their way to make it as basic as humanly possible.

The other thing that blows my mind is when I told my EQ2 guild (years ago) I was going to leave and play Darkfall because a whole guild could be involved in making something like a boat the response was meh....

I mean a frigin boat! vs, tier two armour? what the frack?

Amaranthar

• Brald_IronheartBrald_Ironheart Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Loke666 said:
    DrDread74 said:

It isn't possible anymore, you will never like any food as delicious as Chocolate ice cream when you first tried it. You will never enjoy any movie as good as Star Wars when it first came out and touched your soul like an Angel giving birth in pit of your stomach.

That isn't exactly true. Anything very similar to chocolate icecream might never be the same but there are many other types of flavors that can be just as good.

With MMOs you just can't remake an older game and think it will be as fun, particularly if the older MMO have been played by everyone. Players that never played the original or something similar can still get the kick but not the veterans.

People that remember EQ and UO know what I mean, both gave an awesome kick at the time but they were both so different from eachother and the older MMOs (like M59 and the Realm) that the kick they gave was something new.

So to make a game that feels as good as your first MMO it both need to be good and very different from anything else you tried. That can be done and it have been done already several time. M59, UUO, EQ, DaoC, SWG, GW and Wow all delivered that kick to more then a few peeople, they were just different and fun enough.

But it isn't easy. My advice would be to look on other pen and paper roleplaying games besides D&D and it it's clones.Translating the mechanics and worlds of games like Runequest, ARS Magica, Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, Vampire and R.I.F.T.S in a competent way would open up new horizons for the genre ( so would a Warhammer fantasy RPG game that actually were based on the original mechanics instead of WoW). Translating tried and good P&P mechanics and worlds is just far easier then to recreate them from scratch which of course is another possibility.

You can never make a MMO as good as Wow that also uses similar mechanics. Or any of the other great MMOs for that matter. You can however create something better, it just is far from easy.
    Also, if developers would try using more of the actual systems and mechanics of tabletop rpgs, I believe they would make better, more interesting games.  And everything does not need to revolve around combat in an mmorpg.  Not that combat shouldn't be an important factor, it's just that are many other ways to provide challenge and create obstacles to overcome which do not strictly involve combat or fighting.
    Amaranthar
    Roleplayinn.com - New forum for people who love role-playing of all kinds - tabletop/pencil & paper, live-action, and role-playing in mmorpgs.
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation

two words

Dual
    Universe

If crafting and building are as important in the game world as they are in the real world, that would be one step toward making them interesting.  And if we can't get everything or even most things we need just by killing.
    Amaranthar
    Roleplayinn.com - New forum for people who love role-playing of all kinds - tabletop/pencil & paper, live-action, and role-playing in mmorpgs.

Also, food production and the need to eat and drink have been removed from most mmorpgs.  But eating is one of the main factors of survival in the real world.  If our characters need to eat, grow crops, raise cattle, or hunt, gather, and fish in order to survive (or to feed other characters that don't have time to do those things), this would make the virtual worlds more interesting and dynamic.  Imo.  Much of history is concerned with civilizations, and the members of those civilizations, struggling to claim, conquer, or defend agricultural land.  Not to mention other precious resources such as water, coastlands, ports, mines, forests, and other places in which natural resources may be obtained.  Adventurers and heroes are actually few in number compared to all the other professions required to maintain a civilization.  I believe mmorpgs would be much more interesting if there were many more things we could choose to do with our characters besides fighting, questing, dungeon delving, gathering, buying, selling, and crafting.  Being an adventurer or a hero with a magical weapon and a full set of magical armor doesn't really mean much if every other player is a hero with the same.  When everyone is king, no one is. 

TyranusPrimeAmaranthar
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    edited July 2017
    I'm playing ff14 now painfully doing the msq's about 400 of them just to play stormblood that is content locked but it scratches an itch:D
    Post edited by rush1984 on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,444
    Diablo is not a MMO nor a RPG,it is an instance loot runner and nothing more.

There are very few quality mmorpg's right now and nothing on the radar is going to be triple A.
    FFXIV is arguable the best out there but it's core designs are imo terrible,i am not into Ilevels nor forced unlocks,some terrible mistakes made by Square and yet they still remain.
    A rpg game world should appear as a world and not as a computer simulation with barriers and locked areas,it seems pretty much all mmorpg studios don't have a clue what a rpg should be,they think it is nothing more than level and gear grinds.

Teso is an option but the title says "FUTURE" and there is NOTHING even close to an 8/10 although we will certainly see this site handing out 9's and 8.5's on games that should be a 4/10.

The future has Pantheon,all the rest including Pantheon are just KS'r games,low budget gamer funded games with very little hope to make it great.if i had a hunch on one game it would be Pantheon but not out the gate,it would have to get lucky,role in some early dough and improve it over time.Anyone else i would expect little improvements,more cash shop gimmicks and very few fair business practices.
    Demogorgon

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

There are very few quality mmorpg's right now and nothing on the radar is going to be triple A.
    FFXIV is arguable the best out there but it's core designs are imo terrible,i am not into Ilevels nor forced unlocks,some terrible mistakes made by Square and yet they still remain.
    A rpg game world should appear as a world and not as a computer simulation with barriers and locked areas,it seems pretty much all mmorpg studios don't have a clue what a rpg should be,they think it is nothing more than level and gear grinds.

Teso is an option but the title says "FUTURE" and there is NOTHING even close to an 8/10 although we will certainly see this site handing out 9's and 8.5's on games that should be a 4/10.

The future has Pantheon,all the rest including Pantheon are just KS'r games,low budget gamer funded games with very little hope to make it great.if i had a hunch on one game it would be Pantheon but not out the gate,it would have to get lucky,role in some early dough and improve it over time.Anyone else i would expect little improvements,more cash shop gimmicks and very few fair business practices.
    agree,  final fantasy xiv is the best at the moment but im finding the main story quests really frustratign with all the back and forth, for an example it will send you miles away just to say 1 sentence to a npc and then make you go all the way back and it does that hundreds of times over and over, the story is great just poorly executed
    Demogorgon
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,771
    Wizardry said:

and it is more fun (to me, since it is subjective) than all MMOs (except planetside 2 and Marvel Heroes are close).

I prefer instance loot runners than MMOs. 
  • ryanmahafferyanmahaffe Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I am excited for a few. 
    Ashes of Creation
    Pantheon looks interesting
    Crowfall looks interesting

I will playing Legends of Equestria with a few friends upon release, according to some people in the post though that makes me a pedophile clopper but whatevr.

That is really it though, only game that looks really promising so far is Ashes. I have moderate interest in what Wild West Online does though

And Sea of Thieves I am very excited for even though it isn't really a traditional mmorpg.
  • Siegecraft.orgSiegecraft.org Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Hey guys new here! Why can't I start a new thread. Was reading many of the posts in this thread and by the OP, and enjoyed the read. I am trying to release hardcore new sandbox mmorpg based on Vanilla World of Warcraft. Are we allowed to advertise somewhere on this site? And I can't start any new threads.... 

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to get initial population going of fellow players and open minded people? I am just asking on people's ideas on how to get the ball rolling and awareness?
    im still at a loss for a new game to play, I know BFA is next week but i just cant bring myself to buy it,  i'm really and truly bored! (But am i that bored to play retail wow?)

in the last few months i've replayed ff7, ff10 and 10.2, witcher 3, zelder botw, far cry 5 , and a ton of heroes of the storm. none of which is scratching my mmorpg itch i even tried the call of duty black ops 4 beta ( uninstalled after 10 mins).

i've built a completely new rig, sod knows why though when i dont have a mmorpg to play lol but again bored.... i've even got back with my girlfriend which is baaaaaad idea but again i was bored !
    work has improved though got a pay rise , probably because im not half asleep from playing mmo's till early hours supposes theres that.... now im rambling because you guessed it im f'ing bored ! grrr

help !

what games are people currently playing?

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,905
    rush1984 said:

what games are people currently playing?

Still Vendetta Online, like I stated 2 years and 6 pages ago.  I was surprised by the Corporate Sector Run last night.  Some really creative and effective blockading by the pirates.  Good times.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 4 tracks in Distance

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Supposedly Star Citizen will make use of Amazon server cpu power (something akin to supercomputer power?) and I can't help but wonder that the "Massive" in "MMO" would gain from such computing power, assuming ofc that the server cpu power actually can make meaningful calculations on a mass scale and not be some glorified rack of servers in a room somewhere that happens to just scale and fire up, or shut down servers on demans. I guess, I hope there IS a supercomputer power with Amazon that can be gained for gaming, and that they aren't just some huge server farm that there just happens to be plenty of.
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    edited August 2018
    I think designing a MMO would be so easy (actually making the game would be a different task entirely), I find it appalling that there aren't any interesting MMO games that I want to play.

I like:

1) Anything realistic (realism as an ideal, but I will ofc accept abstractions and simplifications to some degree)

2) Anything competitive (where you actions has real meaning inside the gaming world itself (not some imaginary accumulation of score points or whatever)

3) Player options (making the game interesting on more levels, by engaging your brain, offering challenges, with the game not being reliant on simple gimmicks)

4) As an alternative to anything realistic, something fantastic. A game world that has meaningful depth to it.

5) Making you as a player special, or more unique, which scales with an even larger player base. So, the larger the player base that you can play together with at any point in time all together, the better.

6) I would even accept a game that is inherently unfair (unable to ever possibly become as powerful as some other players), insofar as it makes the player base unique, but this ought be something meaningful, but NOT meta like buying a special character with special powers. I will accept a random outcome, but not a monetary advantage. My time used for gaming is worth more than what I pay for any game in the first place, and so I will not accept a game to become some kind of fake world, where a game is designed to just make money for the developers.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member UncommonPosts: 454
    I think designing a MMO would be so easy (actually making the game would be a different task entirely), I find it appalling that there aren't any interesting MMO games that I want to play.

I like:

1) Anything realistic (realism as an ideal, but I will ofc accept abstractions and simplifications to some degree)

2) Anything competitive (where you actions has real meaning inside the gaming world itself (not some imaginary accumulation of score points or whatever)

3) Player options (making the game interesting on more levels, by engaging your brain, offering challenges, with the game not being reliant on simple gimmicks)

4) As an alternative to anything realistic, something fantastic. A game world that has meaningful depth to it.

5) Making you as a player special, or more unique, which scales with an even larger player base. So, the larger the player base that you can play together with at any point in time all together, the better.

6) I would even accept a game that is inherently unfair (unable to ever possibly become as powerful as some other players), insofar as it makes the player base unique, but this ought be something meaningful, but NOT meta like buying a special character with special powers. I will accept a random outcome, but not a monetary advantage. My time used for gaming is worth more than what I pay for any game in the first place, and so I will not accept a game to become some kind of fake world, where a game is designed to just make money for the developers.
     You could try Darkfall New Dawn, an fps pvp mmorpg with full loot and territory control, however the game's population is pretty low at the moment due to no substantial patches from the past 6 months.

Personally I am looking forward to Crowfall or Camelot unchained, but i am qwelling my hype because kickstarter funded mmos so far have been just trash. Ie: they all have cashshops and some donator advantage.

MurderHerd

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 987
    Agree.  I cannot get excited about anything unless it's made by a company like Blizzard, Square Enix, etc.

I don't trust Kickstarter developers long-term, and I reject the notion of treating players like lobbyists pre-release with these (in some cases, quite expensive) pay-to-influence schemes.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Why is this necessarily a bad thing.  It gives you a chance to catch up on other games or get out and do something else.  I 've had many gaps over the years and I don't have any regrets about any of them.
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight