Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MMORPGS to get excited about for the foreseeable future

Comments

• Brald_IronheartBrald_Ironheart Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:
    OP, Are you living under a Rock? ;)

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation
    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
    Not everyone likes the same thing. For instance CoE is toward the bottom of my list for games that might be my eventual MMO, and the other two aren't even on it.

Crowfall is 2nd from the top on my list and the OP specifically says it doesn't look good to him.
    two words

Dual
    Universe
    Eh. Sci-Fi games don't even really make it on my radar unless they are called Star Citizen. If it totally flops on it's face maybe that will change but as is the main reason I even care about the Sci-Fi genre is how much I loved Freelancer (Chris Robert's last game.) I was one of those weird FL vets that never saw SG1, Star Trek, or almost any sci-fi series other than Star Wars and Firefly.

Fantasy games do make it on my radar because there is no fantasy MMO in development that seems to offer absolutely everything I want from an fantasy MMO.
    I am constantly floored at how uninterested people are in crafting and building
    That's because many of these games don't "do it well".

But we've had this conversation already ...
    If crafting and building are as important in the game world as they are in the real world, that would be one step toward making them interesting.  And if we can't get everything or even most things we need just by killing.
    Amaranthar
    Roleplayinn.com - New forum for people who love role-playing of all kinds - tabletop/pencil & paper, live-action, and role-playing in mmorpgs.
  • Brald_IronheartBrald_Ironheart Member UncommonPosts: 119

Also, food production and the need to eat and drink have been removed from most mmorpgs.  But eating is one of the main factors of survival in the real world.  If our characters need to eat, grow crops, raise cattle, or hunt, gather, and fish in order to survive (or to feed other characters that don't have time to do those things), this would make the virtual worlds more interesting and dynamic.  Imo.  Much of history is concerned with civilizations, and the members of those civilizations, struggling to claim, conquer, or defend agricultural land.  Not to mention other precious resources such as water, coastlands, ports, mines, forests, and other places in which natural resources may be obtained.  Adventurers and heroes are actually few in number compared to all the other professions required to maintain a civilization.  I believe mmorpgs would be much more interesting if there were many more things we could choose to do with our characters besides fighting, questing, dungeon delving, gathering, buying, selling, and crafting.  Being an adventurer or a hero with a magical weapon and a full set of magical armor doesn't really mean much if every other player is a hero with the same.  When everyone is king, no one is. 

TyranusPrimeAmaranthar
    Roleplayinn.com - New forum for people who love role-playing of all kinds - tabletop/pencil & paper, live-action, and role-playing in mmorpgs.
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    edited July 2017
    I'm playing ff14 now painfully doing the msq's about 400 of them just to play stormblood that is content locked but it scratches an itch:D
    Post edited by rush1984 on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Diablo is not a MMO nor a RPG,it is an instance loot runner and nothing more.

There are very few quality mmorpg's right now and nothing on the radar is going to be triple A.
    FFXIV is arguable the best out there but it's core designs are imo terrible,i am not into Ilevels nor forced unlocks,some terrible mistakes made by Square and yet they still remain.
    A rpg game world should appear as a world and not as a computer simulation with barriers and locked areas,it seems pretty much all mmorpg studios don't have a clue what a rpg should be,they think it is nothing more than level and gear grinds.

Teso is an option but the title says "FUTURE" and there is NOTHING even close to an 8/10 although we will certainly see this site handing out 9's and 8.5's on games that should be a 4/10.

The future has Pantheon,all the rest including Pantheon are just KS'r games,low budget gamer funded games with very little hope to make it great.if i had a hunch on one game it would be Pantheon but not out the gate,it would have to get lucky,role in some early dough and improve it over time.Anyone else i would expect little improvements,more cash shop gimmicks and very few fair business practices.
    [Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

There are very few quality mmorpg's right now and nothing on the radar is going to be triple A.
    FFXIV is arguable the best out there but it's core designs are imo terrible,i am not into Ilevels nor forced unlocks,some terrible mistakes made by Square and yet they still remain.
    A rpg game world should appear as a world and not as a computer simulation with barriers and locked areas,it seems pretty much all mmorpg studios don't have a clue what a rpg should be,they think it is nothing more than level and gear grinds.

Teso is an option but the title says "FUTURE" and there is NOTHING even close to an 8/10 although we will certainly see this site handing out 9's and 8.5's on games that should be a 4/10.

The future has Pantheon,all the rest including Pantheon are just KS'r games,low budget gamer funded games with very little hope to make it great.if i had a hunch on one game it would be Pantheon but not out the gate,it would have to get lucky,role in some early dough and improve it over time.Anyone else i would expect little improvements,more cash shop gimmicks and very few fair business practices.
    agree,  final fantasy xiv is the best at the moment but im finding the main story quests really frustratign with all the back and forth, for an example it will send you miles away just to say 1 sentence to a npc and then make you go all the way back and it does that hundreds of times over and over, the story is great just poorly executed
    [Deleted User]
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Wizardry said:

and it is more fun (to me, since it is subjective) than all MMOs (except planetside 2 and Marvel Heroes are close).

I prefer instance loot runners than MMOs. 
  • ryanmahafferyanmahaffe Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I am excited for a few. 
    Ashes of Creation
    Pantheon looks interesting
    Crowfall looks interesting

I will playing Legends of Equestria with a few friends upon release, according to some people in the post though that makes me a pedophile clopper but whatevr.

That is really it though, only game that looks really promising so far is Ashes. I have moderate interest in what Wild West Online does though

And Sea of Thieves I am very excited for even though it isn't really a traditional mmorpg.
  • Siegecraft.orgSiegecraft.org Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Hey guys new here! Why can't I start a new thread. Was reading many of the posts in this thread and by the OP, and enjoyed the read. I am trying to release hardcore new sandbox mmorpg based on Vanilla World of Warcraft. Are we allowed to advertise somewhere on this site? And I can't start any new threads.... 

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to get initial population going of fellow players and open minded people? I am just asking on people's ideas on how to get the ball rolling and awareness?
    im still at a loss for a new game to play, I know BFA is next week but i just cant bring myself to buy it,  i'm really and truly bored! (But am i that bored to play retail wow?)

in the last few months i've replayed ff7, ff10 and 10.2, witcher 3, zelder botw, far cry 5 , and a ton of heroes of the storm. none of which is scratching my mmorpg itch i even tried the call of duty black ops 4 beta ( uninstalled after 10 mins).

i've built a completely new rig, sod knows why though when i dont have a mmorpg to play lol but again bored.... i've even got back with my girlfriend which is baaaaaad idea but again i was bored !
    work has improved though got a pay rise , probably because im not half asleep from playing mmo's till early hours supposes theres that.... now im rambling because you guessed it im f'ing bored ! grrr

help !

what games are people currently playing?

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    rush1984 said:

what games are people currently playing?

Still Vendetta Online, like I stated 2 years and 6 pages ago.  I was surprised by the Corporate Sector Run last night.  Some really creative and effective blockading by the pirates.  Good times.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Supposedly Star Citizen will make use of Amazon server cpu power (something akin to supercomputer power?) and I can't help but wonder that the "Massive" in "MMO" would gain from such computing power, assuming ofc that the server cpu power actually can make meaningful calculations on a mass scale and not be some glorified rack of servers in a room somewhere that happens to just scale and fire up, or shut down servers on demans. I guess, I hope there IS a supercomputer power with Amazon that can be gained for gaming, and that they aren't just some huge server farm that there just happens to be plenty of.
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited August 2018
    I think designing a MMO would be so easy (actually making the game would be a different task entirely), I find it appalling that there aren't any interesting MMO games that I want to play.

I like:

1) Anything realistic (realism as an ideal, but I will ofc accept abstractions and simplifications to some degree)

2) Anything competitive (where you actions has real meaning inside the gaming world itself (not some imaginary accumulation of score points or whatever)

3) Player options (making the game interesting on more levels, by engaging your brain, offering challenges, with the game not being reliant on simple gimmicks)

4) As an alternative to anything realistic, something fantastic. A game world that has meaningful depth to it.

5) Making you as a player special, or more unique, which scales with an even larger player base. So, the larger the player base that you can play together with at any point in time all together, the better.

6) I would even accept a game that is inherently unfair (unable to ever possibly become as powerful as some other players), insofar as it makes the player base unique, but this ought be something meaningful, but NOT meta like buying a special character with special powers. I will accept a random outcome, but not a monetary advantage. My time used for gaming is worth more than what I pay for any game in the first place, and so I will not accept a game to become some kind of fake world, where a game is designed to just make money for the developers.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    I think designing a MMO would be so easy (actually making the game would be a different task entirely), I find it appalling that there aren't any interesting MMO games that I want to play.

I like:

1) Anything realistic (realism as an ideal, but I will ofc accept abstractions and simplifications to some degree)

2) Anything competitive (where you actions has real meaning inside the gaming world itself (not some imaginary accumulation of score points or whatever)

3) Player options (making the game interesting on more levels, by engaging your brain, offering challenges, with the game not being reliant on simple gimmicks)

4) As an alternative to anything realistic, something fantastic. A game world that has meaningful depth to it.

5) Making you as a player special, or more unique, which scales with an even larger player base. So, the larger the player base that you can play together with at any point in time all together, the better.

6) I would even accept a game that is inherently unfair (unable to ever possibly become as powerful as some other players), insofar as it makes the player base unique, but this ought be something meaningful, but NOT meta like buying a special character with special powers. I will accept a random outcome, but not a monetary advantage. My time used for gaming is worth more than what I pay for any game in the first place, and so I will not accept a game to become some kind of fake world, where a game is designed to just make money for the developers.
     You could try Darkfall New Dawn, an fps pvp mmorpg with full loot and territory control, however the game's population is pretty low at the moment due to no substantial patches from the past 6 months.

Personally I am looking forward to Crowfall or Camelot unchained, but i am qwelling my hype because kickstarter funded mmos so far have been just trash. Ie: they all have cashshops and some donator advantage.

MurderHerd

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Agree.  I cannot get excited about anything unless it's made by a company like Blizzard, Square Enix, etc.

I don't trust Kickstarter developers long-term, and I reject the notion of treating players like lobbyists pre-release with these (in some cases, quite expensive) pay-to-influence schemes.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Why is this necessarily a bad thing.  It gives you a chance to catch up on other games or get out and do something else.  I 've had many gaps over the years and I don't have any regrets about any of them.
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
    well i went back to wow found a good raiding guild it was fun for a while made some friends , but now the game is basically dead i doubt its more then 500k subs at this point I had to pug the  newest 2 boss raid because so many guildies/players have quit so back to the hunt for a new mmorpg any suggestions? I just started playing dragonquest xi if theres any turnbased JRPG fans i recommend it its more like traditional final fantasy games unlike the garbage they make now.
  • AshaiaAshaia Member UncommonPosts: 42
    edited April 2019
    I must admit that actually I have also no true MMORPG in foreseeable future, which is really attracting my interest. But I rediscovered my passion for singeplayer RPGs and can suggest to you to try the following ones, which in my opinion come along with a great atmosphere and typical old-school RPG Flair:

- Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Group based RPG in Baldur's Gate Style)
    - Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Group based RPG in Baldur's Gate Style)
    - and recently: Operencia - The Stolen Sun (Dungeon Crawler)

But I suppose you already know them :smile:  Otherwise, pen-and-paper RPGs with Friends is always great.

Steelhelm
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    FFXIV is the only modern day option. Going SP RPG is the only next step. Don't like the class direction WoW took so that's off the list of the only 2 MMORPGs worth playing.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    rush1984 said:
    well i went back to wow found a good raiding guild it was fun for a while made some friends , but now the game is basically dead i doubt its more then 500k subs at this point I had to pug the  newest 2 boss raid because so many guildies/players have quit so back to the hunt for a new mmorpg any suggestions? I just started playing dragonquest xi if theres any turnbased JRPG fans i recommend it its more like traditional final fantasy games unlike the garbage they make now.
    Neverwinter's latested update on the 23rd 'might' be worth checking out given that it changes a lot of things in the game including various classes playstyles.

As for something long term, that ultimately depends on what you want. The only reason I'm considering FFXIV's shadowbringers expansion in the summer is because of the story and the gunbreaker job (gunblade, enough said....). Outside of that, it'll honestly be the same rotation it was in stormblood with them trying to 'master' (or just waste resources while stripping more things) this diadem/eureka/failure thing.

There's also ESO's latest expansion introducing the necromancer class, but honestly, once the new class and area have been out for a month or so, it'll probably be back to whatever it was doing before with minor paid (or 'free' if you're subbed) patches until next year's expansion for the game. I understand their ideaology behind paid patches but it still feels funny when you say it out-loud especially after paying for an expansion. But hey, realistically, people who play p2p games have been doing that forever without thinking about it.

There's wow's 8.2 patch which people think will 'revitalize' the expansion with the new heart of azeroth heartforge or whatever plus 2 new zones you'll just be grinding rep in for useless ground mounts you'll forget about until 8.3 since you get flight if you're on part 2 pathfinder and get those reps to revered. The main thing that is making me honestly not wanting to touch wow until the prepatch is that they are still not adressing the major issue which is the azerite armor. As it stands now, people who actually give a damn about their class/playing more than 1 spec for said class are punished to farm sets of azerite armor for each spec or pay out the ass to reforge every time they might have an itch to play a tank on their druid but forget that its also raid night and they are a healer. OH WAIT too many healers are on, so now its time to reforge AGAIN to play dps. So freaking stupid.
  • KingNaidKingNaid Member UncommonPosts: 1,875
    edited April 2019
    Vardahoth said:

I lost my faith in the young generation. They grew up without experiencing loss in a game, and have no idea what implies good characteristics of a game:

Notice how movies are also getting worse? Watch idiocracy, it will explain everything.

What's with all these souls like games than, and if you go on YouTube there are tons if people doing all sorts oh interesting things. Did you see the guys who build things from scratch in the wilderness. My cousin goes to Virginia tech and my brothers a aircraft mechanic military contractor. 
  • trikerytrikery Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited April 2019
    New World will be legitimately good.

Honestly I fail to see how it is not the most hyped game on here.
    rush1984 said:
    Cross Realm grouping had a negative impact on the WoW community as far as forming and maintaining guilds.  Some of those players probably just hopped servers to another guild.  It's easy to do that in WoW.  Character transfers are almost instantaneous :-P

Others are probably on their mains raiding in their real guilds.  I think people underestimate the amount of alts in lower-end WoW guilds.  That's why a lot of them tend to die down a bit when new content is released.

This was common in games like EQ and EQ2, as well.  Guilds used to do background checks to make sure they weren't inviting alts.  Lineage II also had this as a common occurrence.

I also think getting rid of 10M raiding was a bad thing.  That was very important for maintaining smaller guilds, or more casual guilds with a smaller core of active players.
    Albatroes said:
    rush1984 said:
    Neverwinter's latested update on the 23rd 'might' be worth checking out given that it changes a lot of things in the game including various classes playstyles.

As for something long term, that ultimately depends on what you want. The only reason I'm considering FFXIV's shadowbringers expansion in the summer is because of the story and the gunbreaker job (gunblade, enough said....). Outside of that, it'll honestly be the same rotation it was in stormblood with them trying to 'master' (or just waste resources while stripping more things) this diadem/eureka/failure thing.

There's also ESO's latest expansion introducing the necromancer class, but honestly, once the new class and area have been out for a month or so, it'll probably be back to whatever it was doing before with minor paid (or 'free' if you're subbed) patches until next year's expansion for the game. I understand their ideaology behind paid patches but it still feels funny when you say it out-loud especially after paying for an expansion. But hey, realistically, people who play p2p games have been doing that forever without thinking about it.

There's wow's 8.2 patch which people think will 'revitalize' the expansion with the new heart of azeroth heartforge or whatever plus 2 new zones you'll just be grinding rep in for useless ground mounts you'll forget about until 8.3 since you get flight if you're on part 2 pathfinder and get those reps to revered. The main thing that is making me honestly not wanting to touch wow until the prepatch is that they are still not adressing the major issue which is the azerite armor. As it stands now, people who actually give a damn about their class/playing more than 1 spec for said class are punished to farm sets of azerite armor for each spec or pay out the ass to reforge every time they might have an itch to play a tank on their druid but forget that its also raid night and they are a healer. OH WAIT too many healers are on, so now its time to reforge AGAIN to play dps. So freaking stupid.

WoW has been like this since they introduced those artifact weapons last expansion.  It only got manageable after you got high levels of that stuff that made you get more Artifact points from WQ, etc.

Aside from that, you had to farm different sets of gear - at least weapons and off pieces before then, because different specs had different stat priorities.  And before then hybrid classes needed almost completely different sets of gear because they didn't have both main stats on their gear in the past.

You always had to farm more stuff for different specs.  It was never any different.  They just moved the slots that you had to farm, or the mechanic that you had to farm for those specs (Gear pieces with different stat budgets, artifact power, azerite armor, etc.).

People are acting like this is new in WoW, when it has literally always existed.  They're just getting burnt out on an old game, and looking for a reason to take a break or quit :-P

WoW is still probably worth playing for the PvP, since almost every other MMORPG on the market has failed at that.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    No MMORPG's to get excited about for the forseeable future? should have gone to specsavers!  :p
    Steelhelm