Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MMORPGS to get excited about for the foreseeable future

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Realizer said:
     Making a good game these days is more about if you are capable of running an ethical company, to get things done right instead of "Minimally Viable."  That's a super simplified nutshell, but frankly many of us have been around long enough to know it's true. 

There are some titles I'm interested in definitely. Excited is a bit tougher to say at this point. I'll be excited when some actual gameplay is released from any of these titles previously mentioned. Gameplay that can be experienced by more than just one character model on a dev screen. 

Then we can open that can of worms called, "Is it fun?" 
    If one wants to druel over the possiblity of the future they can follow Dual Universe.
    if one wants complelling game play now they can play Emperium Galaxic Survial

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    SEANMCAD said:
    Realizer said:
     Making a good game these days is more about if you are capable of running an ethical company, to get things done right instead of "Minimally Viable."  That's a super simplified nutshell, but frankly many of us have been around long enough to know it's true. 

There are some titles I'm interested in definitely. Excited is a bit tougher to say at this point. I'll be excited when some actual gameplay is released from any of these titles previously mentioned. Gameplay that can be experienced by more than just one character model on a dev screen. 

If one wants to druel over the possiblity of the future they can follow Dual Universe.
     It's a possibility they could be great, or they could end up being No Man's Sky 2, and 3, time will tell. 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Avanah said:
    OP, Are you living under a Rock? ;)

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation
    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
    Not everyone likes the same thing. For instance CoE is toward the bottom of my list for games that might be my eventual MMO, and the other two aren't even on it.

Crowfall is 2nd from the top on my list and the OP specifically says it doesn't look good to him.
    Realizer said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Realizer said:

It's a possibility they could be great, or they could end up being No Man's Sky 2, and 3, time will tell. 
    I have played Emperium Galaxic Survial and its friggin awesome. light years away from normal.

when selecting one unreleased title and another unreleased title to be excited about should the criteria be different? meaning should i not get excited about Dual Universe because it might end up like No Mans Sky but I should get excited about somehting else that is not yet out because it will not?

bizzare logic no?

Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation
    Not everyone likes the same thing. For instance CoE is toward the bottom of my list for games that might be my eventual MMO, and the other two aren't even on it.

Crowfall is 2nd from the top on my list and the OP specifically says it doesn't look good to him.
    two words

Dual
    Universe

SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation

two words

Dual
    Universe
    Eh. Sci-Fi games don't even really make it on my radar unless they are called Star Citizen. If it totally flops on it's face maybe that will change but as is the main reason I even care about the Sci-Fi genre is how much I loved Freelancer (Chris Robert's last game.) I was one of those weird FL vets that never saw SG1, Star Trek, or almost any sci-fi series other than Star Wars and Firefly.

Fantasy games do make it on my radar because there is no fantasy MMO in development that seems to offer absolutely everything I want from an fantasy MMO.
    Phaserlight
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation

two words

Dual
    Universe
    Eh. Sci-Fi games don't even really make it on my radar unless they are called Star Citizen. If it totally flops on it's face maybe that will change but as is the main reason I even care about the Sci-Fi genre is how much I loved Freelancer (Chris Robert's last game.) I was one of those weird FL vets that never saw SG1, Star Trek, or almost any sci-fi series other than Star Wars and Firefly.

Fantasy games do make it on my radar because there is no fantasy MMO in development that seems to offer absolutely everything I want from an fantasy MMO.
    I am constantly floored at how uninterested people are in crafting and building

SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation

two words

Dual
    Universe

I am quite interested in those things. Wurm Online is my favorite MMO after all. But what I'm looking for in my next MMO is something that has that in addition to engaging combat and player politics. 
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    I think it is humorous how this necro thread from 2015 is still relevant today.

It IS taking some time for those Kickstarter games to develop, isn't it?

Some look interesting to me like Crowfall and Ashes of Creation. I am not excited at all for any of them though.

I'm not a huge PVP guy, but I'll do my best. I think Crowfall is going to surprise a lot of people. It has ideas that are new and I like that. I wish they would add in a little more PVE aspects like one shot random dungeons or one shot random Dragon lair spawns. Maybe after they get the core game running. Still the pieces of a cool game are there.

I think once people understand they won't really have to PVP if they don't want to, Crowfall will take off. Crowfall isn't going to be you and your 4 friends against the world. The wars being fought on the dying worlds will put hundreds of people on your side. Some will be at the front lines fighting to gain or hold territory, but there will be vast tracts of territory that are relatively safe and that is where the work will be done. The food will be cooked, the armor repaired and the swords sharpened. Resources will have to located, secured from monsters (they have said resource nodes will attract monsters) and turned into implements of war. Fortresses will need to be built, mines secured and worked, catapults and ballista's will need builders and crews. But it wont be just you and a couple buddies. It will be hundreds. Huge Fortresses and towns will pop up.

Now if you choose you could pick a profession, lets say potion maker, that basically you never have to leave the main town that will pop up as soon as a new world launches. People will bring you potion supplies they have no use for, which you will make into potions for a price. Never leaving your nice townhouse unless you choose. (After an initial "launch period" where you will likely locate some potion supplies of your own to set up shop.)
    Of course, if your side loses the war badly, your town might get ransacked and you might die and lose wealth, but what did you think was going to happen from losing a war?

The options for stories like this are going to be limitless. Maybe while you where trying to gain your first supplies, you encounter a Wyvern or something you can't kill guarding the potion resource bush you need to go pick. Now you have to go find someone who CAN kill the Wyvern and will have to make a deal with them to get them to come do your dirty work for you. In return you make potions for your champion and foster a relationship that will last until this world ends.

Then you will need someone to build your house for you, you specialized in potions after all, or perhaps a strong player, a warlord really, commissions a fortress built and invites you to live inside, for your expertise and to strengthen his forces.

If it is your wish though most of the time you will be safe, at home, deep in friendly territory unless YOU decide to go off in search of some action. So, yes there is PVE in Crowfall it is just not traditional questjunk, it is more personal.
    SavageHorizon

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    paulytheb said:
    I think it is humorous how this necro thread from 2015 is still relevant today.

It IS taking some time for those Kickstarter games to develop, isn't it?

Some look interesting to me like Crowfall and Ashes of Creation. I am not excited at all for any of them though.

I'm not a huge PVP guy, but I'll do my best. I think Crowfall is going to surprise a lot of people. It has ideas that are new and I like that. I wish they would add in a little more PVE aspects like one shot random dungeons or one shot random Dragon lair spawns. Maybe after they get the core game running. Still the pieces of a cool game are there.

I think once people understand they won't really have to PVP if they don't want to, Crowfall will take off. Crowfall isn't going to be you and your 4 friends against the world. The wars being fought on the dying worlds will put hundreds of people on your side. Some will be at the front lines fighting to gain or hold territory, but there will be vast tracts of territory that are relatively safe and that is where the work will be done. The food will be cooked, the armor repaired and the swords sharpened. Resources will have to located, secured from monsters (they have said resource nodes will attract monsters) and turned into implements of war. Fortresses will need to be built, mines secured and worked, catapults and ballista's will need builders and crews. But it wont be just you and a couple buddies. It will be hundreds. Huge Fortresses and towns will pop up.

Now if you choose you could pick a profession, lets say potion maker, that basically you never have to leave the main town that will pop up as soon as a new world launches. People will bring you potion supplies they have no use for, which you will make into potions for a price. Never leaving your nice townhouse unless you choose. (After an initial "launch period" where you will likely locate some potion supplies of your own to set up shop.)
    Of course, if your side loses the war badly, your town might get ransacked and you might die and lose wealth, but what did you think was going to happen from losing a war?

The options for stories like this are going to be limitless. Maybe while you where trying to gain your first supplies, you encounter a Wyvern or something you can't kill guarding the potion resource bush you need to go pick. Now you have to go find someone who CAN kill the Wyvern and will have to make a deal with them to get them to come do your dirty work for you. In return you make potions for your champion and foster a relationship that will last until this world ends.

Then you will need someone to build your house for you, you specialized in potions after all, or perhaps a strong player, a warlord really, commissions a fortress built and invites you to live inside, for your expertise and to strengthen his forces.

If it is your wish though most of the time you will be safe, at home, deep in friendly territory unless YOU decide to go off in search of some action. So, yes there is PVE in Crowfall it is just not traditional questjunk, it is more personal.

Nice try pal but it's a PvP game no matter how you try to sugar coat it. Why would I play this when I can play a true pve game like Pantheon. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation

two words

Dual
    Universe

That's because many of these games don't "do it well".

But we've had this conversation already ...
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited June 2017
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation

two words

Dual
    Universe

so people here only like what is popular regardless of the game content and that is why they like content is only because its popular?

not sure I am following you.

I think you are looking at the quality of a game based on sales figures, I am looking directly and specifically at the game mechanics themselves.
    cameltosis

paulytheb said: *snip*

Nice try pal but it's a PvP game no matter how you try to sugar coat it. Why would I play this when I can play a true pve game like Pantheon. 
    I can't speak for you sir, and I did not back Crowfall or any other of these games in development.

*I* am going to purchase Crowfall when it releases because; it is something different, has interesting (and different) player character options, has deep and meaningful crafting, has a skill based advancement system not level based, has interesting lore and reasons for the war in heaven being played out on mortal battlefields and because I am not afraid of a little PVP.

The best reason is because Crowfall allows for deep strategy, intrigue and politics that are more real because they will arise organically, from real people behind those powerplayers in game. Instead of some built in script about somehow killing ten rats will save the princess.

I'm also watching Pantheon and AOC and COE and a bunch of the others, it is just that they are not looking as good right now.

I'll check them all out probably, if they aren't Pay to Win, and I actually hope at least 2 or 3 of these games end up being pretty good with room to improve at launch. I also hope star citizen launches someday while I am still alive and blows us all away.

But I'm not gonna hold my breath on any of them.

I just think Crowfall looks the coolest right now, and is going to surprise a lot of people.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    Life is Feudal:MMO is looking good and getting ready for open beta in the coming months, not that I am biased or anything. ;) 
    paulytheb said:

, and is going to surprise a lot of people.
    same thing was said about Darkfall.

I personally think the such statements about Darkfall (that it would suprise) are warranted and its a great game for its time but it appears the market of 'a lot of people' didnt agree.

SEANMCAD said:
    paulytheb said:

I personally think the such statements about Darkfall (that it would suprise) are warranted and its a great game for its time but it appears the market of 'a lot of people' didnt agree.
    I have in fact been wrong before ! LOL

This is why I am waiting for games to launch, before they even get a whiff of my money.

I still hope a couple of these games are good, including Crowfall. History says most will fail though.

paulytheb said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    paulytheb said:

I have in fact been wrong before ! LOL

This is why I am waiting for games to launch, before they even get a whiff of my money.

I still hope a couple of these games are good, including Crowfall. History says most will fail though.
    wise move to ignore the static. I would in the meantime play awesome games in which you can play now. They do exist currently just not in the MMO market

Right now, I'm playing MWO. Which is really a shooter, so I suck, but at least it is Battletech flavored. Getting blown up by a Marauder and an Atlas? Yeah that is kinda cool and nostalgic to me.

I figure it is helping get my PVP practice in.

I have DDO,STO and Path of Exile on my PC for online games besides a couple card games.

I downloaded Wildstar just to have a look and I heard the housing was cool. I have barely played, it just makes me want to puke. I'm not even sure I made it outside of the new player zone, probably not!

paulytheb said:
    Right now, I'm playing MWO. Which is really a shooter, so I suck, but at least it is Battletech flavored. Getting blown up by a Marauder and an Atlas? Yeah that is kinda cool and nostalgic to me.

I figure it is helping get my PVP practice in.

I have DDO,STO and Path of Exile on my PC for online games besides a couple card games.

I downloaded Wildstar just to have a look and I heard the housing was cool. I have barely played, it just makes me want to puke. I'm not even sure I made it outside of the new player zone, probably not!

I am having the best time ever with empyrion galactic survival lately

SEANMCAD said:
    paulytheb said:*snip*

I saw that on Steam, looks cool. Early access though. I'll check it out when its done, unless it pulls an ARK and tries to launch a expansion while still in "BETA". LOL

paulytheb said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    paulytheb said:*snip*

I saw that on Steam, looks cool. Early access though. I'll check it out when its done, unless it pulls an ARK and tries to launch a expansion while still in "BETA". LOL
    I would never avoid a purchase based on business practices if the game play was good, but ok whateverz

• NiikoloNiikolo Member CommonPosts: 3
    I'm working on a MMORPG game inspired by the original Diablos and Runescape. It's called Rips.Online, a free to play game. 
    (Yes that is Edgar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isyQrw9pQnM
    Some gameplay footage there ^^

We are still polishing the graphics, and adding more features before we officially release it on July 31st. Would love you guys to come check it out. I want to do a tournament have and reward the number 1 fighter $100... 

What do you guys think? Any advice or tips? There will be no in-game purchases like these other games. I don't like that shit. It ruins games...

I'd love some serious feedback!
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation

two words

Dual
    Universe

That is largely true. The WoW crafting system holds little allure for me anymore and it's probably one of the most commonly cloned aspects of WoW. Even games like Darkfall and Runescape that are clearly not WoW clones tend to clone the general jist of it's crafting system.

Gather Resources > Execute Timer > Out Pops Item > Skill Goes Up

Even EVE's crafting system is essentially a clone of this without a timer and the final step. Wurm is really the only game that I've seen that does it differently by adding an improvement step which can take minutes or hours to actually make your newly created item worth using.

There needs to be some variety in crafting. I'm ok with crafting taking effort but I'm tired of the materials it takes to make low level items being worth more than the finished product. Taking effort out of the process does that.
    edited June 2017
    Eldurian said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Avanah said:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Ashes of Creation

two words

Dual
    Universe

That is largely true. The WoW crafting system holds little allure for me anymore and it's probably one of the most commonly cloned aspects of WoW. Even games like Darkfall and Runescape that are clearly not WoW clones tend to clone the general jist of it's crafting system.

Gather Resources > Execute Timer > Out Pops Item > Skill Goes Up

Even EVE's crafting system is essentially a clone of this without a timer and the final step. Wurm is really the only game that I've seen that does it differently by adding an improvement step which can take minutes or hours to actually make your newly created item worth using.

There needs to be some variety in crafting. I'm ok with crafting taking effort but I'm tired of the materials it takes to make low level items being worth more than the finished product. Taking effort out of the process does that.
    and durability (in wurm).

the thing is the crafting system in something like wurm is only a few tiers more involved (quality and durability) but doing so adds much more of feeling of depth so I dont understand why more 'mainstream' games dont spend a little effort making crafting a little more deeper then instead literally going out of their way to make it as basic as humanly possible.

The other thing that blows my mind is when I told my EQ2 guild (years ago) I was going to leave and play Darkfall because a whole guild could be involved in making something like a boat the response was meh....

I mean a frigin boat! vs, tier two armour? what the frack?

Amaranthar

• Brald_IronheartBrald_Ironheart Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Loke666 said:
    DrDread74 said:

It isn't possible anymore, you will never like any food as delicious as Chocolate ice cream when you first tried it. You will never enjoy any movie as good as Star Wars when it first came out and touched your soul like an Angel giving birth in pit of your stomach.

That isn't exactly true. Anything very similar to chocolate icecream might never be the same but there are many other types of flavors that can be just as good.

With MMOs you just can't remake an older game and think it will be as fun, particularly if the older MMO have been played by everyone. Players that never played the original or something similar can still get the kick but not the veterans.

People that remember EQ and UO know what I mean, both gave an awesome kick at the time but they were both so different from eachother and the older MMOs (like M59 and the Realm) that the kick they gave was something new.

So to make a game that feels as good as your first MMO it both need to be good and very different from anything else you tried. That can be done and it have been done already several time. M59, UUO, EQ, DaoC, SWG, GW and Wow all delivered that kick to more then a few peeople, they were just different and fun enough.

But it isn't easy. My advice would be to look on other pen and paper roleplaying games besides D&D and it it's clones.Translating the mechanics and worlds of games like Runequest, ARS Magica, Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, Vampire and R.I.F.T.S in a competent way would open up new horizons for the genre ( so would a Warhammer fantasy RPG game that actually were based on the original mechanics instead of WoW). Translating tried and good P&P mechanics and worlds is just far easier then to recreate them from scratch which of course is another possibility.

You can never make a MMO as good as Wow that also uses similar mechanics. Or any of the other great MMOs for that matter. You can however create something better, it just is far from easy.
    Also, if developers would try using more of the actual systems and mechanics of tabletop rpgs, I believe they would make better, more interesting games.  And everything does not need to revolve around combat in an mmorpg.  Not that combat shouldn't be an important factor, it's just that are many other ways to provide challenge and create obstacles to overcome which do not strictly involve combat or fighting.
    Amaranthar
    Roleplayinn.com - New forum for people who love role-playing of all kinds - tabletop/pencil & paper, live-action, and role-playing in mmorpgs.