Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] PlanetSide 2: PlayStation 4 - Worlds in Conflict

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It is in those moments, where everything about Planetside 2 is moving in perfect concert, that the battles you fight can astound you with their immensity. You'll run through valley floors as columns of tanks exchange fire and aircraft engage in dogfights and strafe your position, reviving downed players as a combat medic. You'll jetpack your way onto a facility roof alongside your squad, ambushing several pesky infiltrators with sniper rifles picking off your main force. But for each of these thrilling encounters, there are plenty willing to strip you of any significance you might have felt. Planetside 2 has its moments, but their impact is almost always threatened by its numerous issues.

Read more of Steven Messner's PlanetSide 2 - PlayStation 4 - Worlds in Conflict.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Do you all see this game being more successful on PS4 for an old game?  I don't think so. Has it been very successful as a PC game? Just wondering...... Thanks.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190

PS2 is one the funnest games I've ever played. The first game I have played that has the open world pvp feel to it without the gankfest feel to it. Yeh it was ruff when first started, but there wouldn't be to much complexity to it if a noob didn't feel overwhelmed when they first started.

One of the big things is it removes the vertical progression limitation most games have. A brand new player can go out an fight with effectiveness with seasoned vets. Yeh, vets will have an advantage, but it's not an insurmountable one like most games.  Same goes that new players can join their friends on day one and contribute, instead of having to grind out 100 levels and then a gear grind just to be able to play with their friends a month or so later.

If your a pvp'er, your doing yourself a disservice to not at least give this one a solid go. And if your not a pvp'er, this is one that you might find the enjoyment in it. The one's that I really think won't like this are the CoD/BF types that are use to the lobby system.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Like Lheuah said was/is fun as heck. In terms of shooter I believe it was the first evolution since Golden Eye. Everything before PS2 was and is a Golden Eye clone.

Like they author said it can be rough for a new player though. They are some really amazing people playing with world class reflexes and coordination. Heck it's hard for me to get back into after taking time off.

With all that being said my PS2 time is near the very top of most memorable mmo experiences. I would have no problem referring it to any mmo pvp fan. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I agree with the above two. I have a lot of fun with this game on the PC. Have not tried it on PS4 yet. 
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Tokken
    Do you all see this game being more successful on PS4 for an old game?  I don't think so. Has it been very successful as a PC game? Just wondering...... Thanks.

It's not really an old game.  It came out just before the ps4 was released.

• SeorynSeoryn Member UncommonPosts: 42

Originally posted by William12

It's 3 years old, which isn't old in some people's books, but old in others. F2P games on consoles have the benefit of accessibility so that tends to boost the player base just 'cause people want to try out the free stuff and then get hooked. Personally, after playing the beta on PS4, I loved it, but realized I don't do as great aiming with a controller vs mouse. 

Technically speaking, it's been a successful PC game in the sense it has a consistent enough player base to design new systems like the player studio, and run podcasts and livestreams. It's definitely a SMALLER community, they've condensed servers twice in the last few years, but it's solid enough they're able to continue development--albeit a little on the slow side sometimes.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Thing is its up against Destiny, playstation live has ps2 way down the live list.Destiny is always number one to three.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    PS2 has never been great performance wise. I would not attribute any performance drops to console only so quickly, I have not played on the ps4, but I have many times on pc, the game has always been a screen tearing, lag filled in heavy battle, less than optimal experience. I wouldn't be surprised if daybreak is told don't bother by Microsoft.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Originally posted by Righteous_Rock

PS2 has never been great performance wise. I would not attribute any performance drops to console only so quickly, I have not played on the ps4, but I have many times on pc, the game has always been a screen tearing, lag filled in heavy battle, less than optimal experience. I wouldn't be surprised if daybreak is told don't bother by Microsoft.

No, its due to the PS4 not being as powerful. This is literally a fact. 

And your PC having issues does not speak for ANYONE else's. My PC runs it perfect, as does my laptop on fully maxed out settings. No tearing. Even my older laptop and computer ran it just fine with no tearing. Perhaps you are due for an upgrade.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Thing is its up against Destiny, playstation live has ps2 way down the live list.Destiny is always number one to three.

This is a really different game to Destiny, I doubt will be anywhere near as popular as destiny, but it is a great open world / RvR pvp shooter. Its a very unique and fun experience, it should do great in its niche as long as the lag/ framerate etc hold up on the consoles.