Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows X and MMOs/Games

UrobulusUrobulus Member UncommonPosts: 29

Good morning everyone!

So today is the big day for a lot of people that were just waiting for the release of Windows 10, and I thought it would be nice to have a thread with people posting their results after upgrading, more specifically regarding MMOs and games too in general...

Please tell us if you see any distinct advantage/disadvantage after upgrading, if you ran into problems, etc.

Didn't upgrade here yet but will report back as soon as I can with my findings: currently playing WoW and Wildstar, Fallout 3 and Talos Principle.

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    From what I'M hearing is the only people getting Windows 10 today are the more than 2 million testers that signed up. Regular uses may be waiting weeks to get it.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Just a heads up, you still need a LEGIT licence/cdkey of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 in order to get the upgrade.

Microsoft clarified this and said that even though everyone gets the upgrade offer, the windows licence will not change from pirated to legit.

It means even if you upgrade using their offer, if you do not have a proper windows cd key registered on your microsoft account, you will be able to upgrade to windows 10 but you will get those annoying messages saying your product is not activated.

This happened to me and when I contacted the customer support, they basically told me I either buy a windows 7, 8 or windows 10 licence and register it on my microsoft account, or I GTFO. lol

So yeah, all those people with pirated windows, dont think you gonna get a free windows 10 because you wont.

Unless of course you pirate windows 10 too.. but meh, that sucks. :(

If you want to download the official Windows 10 ISO for an upgrade OR a fresh install, here is the page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Just a heads up, you still need a LEGIT licence/cdkey of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 in order to get the upgrade.

Microsoft clarified this and said that even though everyone gets the upgrade offer, the windows licence will not change from pirated to legit.

It means even if you upgrade using their offer, if you do not have a proper windows cd key registered on your microsoft account, you will be able to upgrade to windows 10 but you will get those annoying messages saying your product is not activated.

This happened to me and when I contacted the customer support, they basically told me I either buy a windows 7, 8 or windows 10 licence and register it on my microsoft account, or I GTFO. lol

So yeah, all those people with pirated windows, dont think you gonna get a free windows 10 because you wont.

If you want to download the official Windows 10 ISO for an upgrade OR a fresh install, here is the page:

As it should be. But i was on another tech site and this guy was going on and on about this. He thought he should get a copy even though he never paid for a Windows OS in his life, And he was really pissed that his 32 bit home version could not be upgraded to a 64 bit pro version on 10. What an idiot prick. 

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by NightHaveN
    Haven't done any benchmark yet. But currenly since last Sunday updates is working like a champ. Plan to do some testing around next week.

It had some issues earlier: Catalyst 15.7 crashing a lot, Logitech MMO mouse losing buttons (internal profile, MS mouse driver btw), full screen games at launch not grabbing mouse input, desktop mess up the scaling when higher than 100%. All of them look gone now.

Ha! You are listing things that would greatly impact me. Thanks for the info. I'll be waiting a bit to start testing.

Joined - July 2004

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Last big update a week or so ago fixed a lot of my problems with Windows 10. Still some bugs but livable. New benhmarks and FPS put it as faster then Windows 8.1, MS now second fastest OS. Still find the UI clunky but it does what it needs to. Still having problems with auto update being hard fixed to always being on. I like it does things like security updates etc as most dumb user need that but what making my life a pain is the fact it auto updates my drivers and keeps reinstalling the wrong display drivers. So every few days I need to reinstall the right drivers. Over all its worth using but you have to be able to live with the bugs. 
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

What gave you the idea that a for profit company would be cool with you stealing software from them?

Originally posted by killion81

What gave you the idea that a for profit company would be cool with you stealing software from them?

MS announced that even pirated copies of Windows can upgrade to Windows 10, they seem to have left out it would not be for free =-)

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Microsoft has changed their must update policy a little. 

How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

MS announced that even pirated copies of Windows can upgrade to Windows 10, they seem to have left out it would not be for free =-)

Exactly, they changed their words and backtracked what they said a few months ago... 

It is all sorted now, just had to hear this song and follow my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Exactly, they changed their words and backtracked what they said a few months ago... 

It is all sorted now, just had to hear this song and follow my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI

Sounds like a clever way to identify piracy.  Odds are you aren't changing your hardware when you move back to a previous pirated version of Windows.  If that version ever talks to Microsoft, it will be easy for them to flag it again.  That said, I don't feel bad for people that steal and get caught.  You are not the victim in this...

• UrobulusUrobulus Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Last big update a week or so ago fixed a lot of my problems with Windows 10. Still some bugs but livable. New benhmarks and FPS put it as faster then Windows 8.1, MS now second fastest OS. Still find the UI clunky but it does what it needs to. Still having problems with auto update being hard fixed to always being on. I like it does things like security updates etc as most dumb user need that but what making my life a pain is the fact it auto updates my drivers and keeps reinstalling the wrong display drivers. So every few days I need to reinstall the right drivers. Over all its worth using but you have to be able to live with the bugs. 

So basically forced auto-update on graphic drivers and other important stuff like that? Sounds like this could potentially turn into big problems and one hell of an hassle to deal with...

Not quite sure I want to upgrade anymore... :(

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444

That's karma! ;-)

Originally posted by Urobulus

So basically forced auto-update on graphic drivers and other important stuff like that? Sounds like this could potentially turn into big problems and one hell of an hassle to deal with...

Not quite sure I want to upgrade anymore... :(

Since I made my post MS has confirmed they see the problem with this and has made a work around. My guess this will be addressed in full soon with some patch letting you disable updates for all or select drivers. 

• If you're on 7 don't bother trying to upgrade with Windows Updates. Just skip straight to the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

amd 295x2, windows 10 pro 64 bit:

The Elder Scrolls Online 100% ok

Skyforge - had to disable Crossfire

Corsair H2100 7.1 wireless headset - very unreliable/inconsistent with connectivity. Had to reboot PC a lot. And if you like having game sound out of one output device and voice comes out of headset, lot's of switching windows default playback device required. These regularly occurring annoyances have sent me back to 7 until fixed.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    What I noticed in Windows 10 is that you cannot Alt+Tab to an empy desktop from a fullscreen game.  It tries, but go back to game screen.  You can only Alt+Tab to another program like Chrome.

Now...is that a bug or design change?
    Try Windows key+D :)
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

not true lol i got a free copy of windows 10
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    So how does xbox work with win10 ?  Any good.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    Been using it for over a year.. love it.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The offer to upgrade pre-installed itself awhile back before release.  It was ready to upgrade on launch day.  However, as everything is working fine.  I see no reason to install.  I have a year to upgrade.   By then many problems will be solved and I'll upgrade.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Urobulus said:

Good morning everyone!

So today is the big day for a lot of people that were just waiting for the release of Windows 10, and I thought it would be nice to have a thread with people posting their results after upgrading, more specifically regarding MMOs and games too in general...

Please tell us if you see any distinct advantage/disadvantage after upgrading, if you ran into problems, etc.

Didn't upgrade here yet but will report back as soon as I can with my findings: currently playing WoW and Wildstar, Fallout 3 and Talos Principle.

At this moment, upgraded at the very day or Release, have not had a single problem with any app/program/game/mmo yet. (so far)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    As always when installing a new OS, the first thing to do is download new drivers for MoBo, and other hardware.  Like mice, printer, and net adap.  I can't confirm this but I think most problems are from using win 7, 8, & 8.1 drivers under win 10.  I'm glad there is a work around for correct drivers be auto updated to MS drivers.  Again I can't confirm this, but it sounds like your correct drivers aren't certified or identified as current drivers.

I assembled my new win 8.1 rig two weeks before 10 went live.  I downloaded the 8.1 and the 10 drivers.  I didn't have time to try any games under 8.1, except for Minecraft.  

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I've had no incredibly difficult issues installing.  I few of my programs had to have a WIN10 patch, but that was pretty easy.  All of my games are working as intended.  When you do make the switch, there are some settings you'll want to tweak.  One of these is the shared WIFI for windows content patching.  All, pretty easy stuff.  Won't be the same for everyone.  Since PCs come in so many shapes and flavors, there are bound to be issues.

I self identify as a monkey.

• reemireemi Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited August 2015
    I only upgraded my GPU driver because I wanted Dx12.

My computer work perfect.. no problem at all, best windows installation experience ever to be honest. 

No crash yet, no games trouble, everything is just perfect. 

Me, I never update a working driver, I had LOT of bad experience with new drivers, "Ex: ~30 fps lost with my GTX560 TI in Diablo 3, Or Sound over HDMI problems with my A6-3500 GPU drivers, and more..."

So, when it's working, upgrading a driver is not always the best to do. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Had a bit of a rough upgrade on release day - even had to resort to weird solutions (had to disconnect SATA cable to my DVD drive) to get the upgrade to complete successfully from 8.1. But once it upgraded it has been superb with not a single crash. all HW supported (even that DVD drive I had to disconnect to upgrade) and better performance in all games (better FPS, faster loading) including W3, ESO and even Arkham Knight.

Be aware though: Windows driver installation for the Nvidia WHQL driver prevented me from accessing the Nvidia Control panel - solved by downloading re-installing the same driver from the Nvidia site.

Only complaint so far: I want to like Microsoft Edge but it still has some growing up to do. I get weird typing display dleays at this site with it... sometimes you try to close the browser the normal way by clicking the red X in upper right hand corner and it does nothing - it eventually will work if you wait a bit and try again... it typically loads pages very fast but when it doesn't, it prevents you from scrolling down the page until it's done... so I've gone back to Chrome for now.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Haven't done any benchmark yet. But currenly since last Sunday updates is working like a champ. Plan to do some testing around next week.

It had some issues earlier: Catalyst 15.7 crashing a lot, Logitech MMO mouse losing buttons (internal profile, MS mouse driver btw), full screen games at launch not grabbing mouse input, desktop mess up the scaling when higher than 100%. All of them look gone now.
    AMD drivers do a DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) then do a fresh install of latest drivers
    Reinstall logitech software - once you reinstall it and update it to latest, it actually runs better than it did on 8.1 in 8.1 my logitech software would always crash.. in 10 never crashes.