Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

20 million block pyramid

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    I guess this is somehow connected with fps and engine/C.U.B.E. performance and that folks from CSE expect us to, somehow, be impressed. What is actually happening there, and why would that be significant?
     W...aaagh?
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

they are testing their homemade engine.. 

I think they are doing pretty good job..

engine is capable of handling 1700 players in a small area.. im pretty impressed tbh

Originally posted by Copperfield

engine is capable of handling 1700 players in a small area.. im pretty impressed tbh

Thanks for info, still I wonder how would engine performance be connected with seemingly rather simply shaped, static object!? 

My amateur guess would be that C.U.B.E. treats it as kind of complex connection between 20m pieces each of which can be moved/destroyed at any given split second, therefore engine is likely re-calculating their mutual influence and position many times per second, or something like that!?

W...aaagh?
  • twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Do you have a video of 1700 people running around and fighting ? and no a video of everybody doing the same dont work either.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by JamesGoblin

Thanks for info, still I wonder how would engine performance be connected with seemingly rather simply shaped, static object!?

20 mil blocks would mean quite a few polygons, even though not all of them have to be rendered at once. It's not a simple shape from a technical viewpoint, especially if the blocks are all interactive.

Originally posted by Scalpless

20 mil blocks would mean quite a few polygons, even though not all of them have to be rendered at once. It's not a simple shape from a technical viewpoint, especially if the blocks are all interactive.

Thanks, so it was essentially my guess from upthere.

W...aaagh?
    Originally posted by twitch242
    Do you have a video of 1700 people running around and fighting ? and no a video of everybody doing the same dont work either.

IIRC last test was 1800 actually, and the aim is 3400 (the way testing stands, the aim should be achieved without much problems).

To be more precise, it was 1800 players & IP/moving/casting etc. bots.

Due to NDA, you won`t be seeing much videos of that. NDA is going to be lifted at some point in beta, which likely means at least couple months from now.

W...aaagh?
  • astraycatastraycat Member UncommonPosts: 15

When they talk about their homemade game engine, are they referring to the graphics rendering, physics engine, and/or networking?

I fear most for the last. How would our networks handle a cascade, if a projectile destroyed a structure, or multiple structures approaching that size, with that many pieces falling all over the place and physically impacting each other and players?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I'm wondering how this translates into people moving about and their positions changing .The weapons they use the armour so on and so forth and when the fight their HP and so changing values how well does the 20 million block pyramid engine work with changing conditions which is what a few hundred PvP players will be doing.
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Even if they could only handle 1000 people in the same area, that would be something, i don't think any other fantasy MMO can make that claim at the moment. if they are able to achieve 1700+ then that would be significant image
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

The best part of that gif animation is what looks like a comment from Mr. Jacobs which I'm guessing went something like this.

"Yep, now video capture it before it blows up"

I'm sure he was referencing the engine :P

Yep. Rob kept pushing the envelope to see how many blocks he could add before it went boom.  As of now, 20M is a really good number. We will do even better. Pushing things till they go boom is something we've been doing since day one. As our IT/Alpha folks can attest the cry of "More Bots!" is something we've heard since testing began.  There's no reason not to try to make the engine go boom, especially at this point. Personally, I love seeing things go boom, especially as the numbers whether in number of blocks, Backer and Bot testing, etc. keep going up. :)

I'll be back later to answer/talk about some of the points raised. I'm a day behind on getting the next update out and need to focus on that. Damn thing is 4K words already but it is an important update and a good one. 

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I am loving some of the creations. It is more like playing lego than voxel shaping which is more up my alley.

My understanding is that crafters will only be the ones with full access to CUBE in game and combat classes limited or just can use blueprints? Either way it's cool to see an entire world shape but some people's fears still remain about odd structures and simply throwing walls everywhere (granted how do you defend them? Perhaps breaking down walls is the easy part).

With massive structures like that pyramid I wonder is there rendering tricks to avoid poly's when hidden and if so does the FPS go to crap when destruction occurs and individual blocks must now be rendered? I'm sure they're smarter than me and figured that out already.

My understanding is all of this is currently handled by the server quite well with very little optimization. Great sign!

I still sit on my dream of building a fortified tree house!

You stay sassy!

• bayareamjbayareamj Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I am very excited for CU.  I really hope the devs realize thier vision.  I believe building with voxels is the next evolution in MMOs.

-----------------------------------
    MMO player

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

I guess this is somehow connected with fps and engine/C.U.B.E. performance and that folks from CSE expect us to, somehow, be impressed. What is actually happening there, and why would that be significant?

In this case, just that players can build huge structures out of tons of blocks and that the time to render is still going to be quite fast. We had never tested a structure with that many blocks yet and it went well. And those are real blocks that players can interact with, climb on, etc. :)

It's a good start, certainly. What we need to do next is get over 2K because doing so involves improving our current network model. At 1.7K things started slowing down, at 1.8, it was pretty slow. We need to improve that. The other major hurdle is getting more and more people within your viewing range while at the same time, having them cast spells, run around, etc. We are also doing well in that regard but we're not there yet. Considering that we have built most of this engine from scratch and are using server-side physics, not client-side like 99.9% of games use, that's a pretty good accomplishment. 

Originally posted by Scalpless

Correct. And yes, they are real and in the world. We had a bug with the tops of CUBE-made buildings that we resolved in today's tests so that was a nice fix.

Originally posted by twitch242

IIRC last test was 1800 actually, and the aim is 3400 (the way testing stands, the aim should be achieved without much problems).

To be more precise, it was 1800 players & IP/moving/casting etc. bots.

Due to NDA, you won`t be seeing much videos of that. NDA is going to be lifted at some point in beta, which likely means at least couple months from now.

Well, we might lift part of our NDA even before Beta. :) News at 11.

Originally posted by astraycat

When they talk about their homemade game engine, are they referring to the graphics rendering, physics engine, and/or networking?

I fear most for the last. How would our networks handle a cascade, if a projectile destroyed a structure, or multiple structures approaching that size, with that many pieces falling all over the place and physically impacting each other and players?

Almost everything in our game is our own, other than Nvidia's PhysX (server-side) and Wwise, as of now. As you correctly point out, networking is quite a challenge but fortunately, we're doing very well on that end. One of the really big challenges is the rigidity/stability testing of structures as they are destroyed in real-time. That has been fun and, yes, challenging. :)

Originally posted by greenreen

Originally posted by astraycat

I too want to know all the details hehe

I'd imagine though that this is them trying to push things to a max level just to see the high end. They would probably limit the players far below that to make it manageable. Even in housing of other games there have been limits to how many objects you could place in rooms either because you had slots (LOTRO) or in freeform you were outright told only 100 pieces of decoration were allowed per room (Vanguard).

They have said that some of this structure building can be put into blueprints which you use to recreate the building and pass it along. Maybe the process of creating a blueprint creates shape chunks to lessen the amount of objects - think tetris. Then the destruction turns small parts back into blocks for the tear down expanding from the point of impact. I haven't seen them say that but I could see that as an optimization tool which doubles as gameplay or commerce.

It's certainly something we have talked about. :)

Blueprints were a great idea for this game, on a number of levels.

Cya later. Time to get back to tomorrow's update!

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• RendolpheRendolphe Member UncommonPosts: 8

Don't fail us Mark Jacob.

I just quit ESO today after testing their new Imperial CIty. This new content remove all RvR aspect of Cyrodiil and transform it into an instanced Battleground with near spawn filled with useless mobs hitting more then player. That's a real mess.

As an ex ESO player since Beta and looking foward on what we have for future RvR speaking. CU and Crowfall are my last hope.

C.U.B.E. is a fine feature, but don't forget the core of the game, the combat mechanic itself.

Rendolphe

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

One question,  did you build the original pyramid with all the corridors, shafts and everything? Just thinking that it would be awesome to walk around in it inside a mmorpg and also good for quests *cough* stygia *cough*

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

tthink maybe darkfall beat this at one point in time

• TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Rendolphe

Don't fail us Mark Jacob.

I just quit ESO today after testing their new Imperial CIty. This new content remove all RvR aspect of Cyrodiil and transform it into an instanced Battleground with near spawn filled with useless mobs hitting more then player. That's a real mess.

As an ex ESO player since Beta and looking foward on what we have for future RvR speaking. CU and Crowfall are my last hope.

C.U.B.E. is a fine feature, but don't forget the core of the game, the combat mechanic itself.

Rendolphe

Most of the changes with IC patch in general is terrible, so i totally understand people not playing unless there are some drastic changes to that patch. Personally, i'll stop playing when the patch hits, and wait it out to see if they take their heads out of the sand. Content wise for IC, it seems like one of the worst scenarios with layers upon layers of grind. That's typically what i expect from B2P / F2P games, so it was just a matter of time.

To MJ and about Camelot Unchained, i hope there are layers to capture other player creations, instead of just destroying what other people made.

Backers probably know about this already, but will there be ground mounts with craftable gear made for them? This could just be cosmetic or add some bonus to the mount, but i mean things such as blinders, other forms of protection and saddles to maybe reduce fear when riding into combat.

• I'm pretty sure the engine should cull stuff you can't see, as rendering them would be a waste of resources.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    yeah, I'm not impressed. They made a big pyramid. Anything assumed beyond that is just conjecture and high hopes.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• astraycatastraycat Member UncommonPosts: 15

Originally posted by Timesplit
    To MJ and about Camelot Unchained, i hope there are layers to capture other player creations, instead of just destroying what other people made.   Backers probably know about this already, but will there be ground mounts with craftable gear made for them? This could just be cosmetic or add some bonus to the mount, but i mean things such as blinders, other forms of protection and saddles to maybe reduce fear when riding into combat.

I wonder about these two, as well. Being able to capture buildings would do a whole lot for immersion and the feeling of a persistent world.

Not a backer, but I recall MJ saying they're considering implementing them with saddlebags to help carry stuff, though they hadn't decided for sure yet, and if they do have mounts, they would have to be slow enough to not make speed classes irrelevant. Personally, I love mounts, and I'm all for them, especially if implemented as they were in ArcheAge. In that game, your mount would be summoned as an npc that would follow you and you could get on to ride.

Like everything else in the game, mounts had collision, and could push/be pushed. They had hp and abilities, and you could level them up (by riding it) to use better gear, get more hp, and unlock mount abilities (speed boost, charge, etc). Most mounts allowed a passenger, too. As terrible as a lot of that game was, there was nothing quite as amazingly immersive as raising and feeding your mount until it was big enough to ride, then leveling it. Or riding into a crowded city, where you're being jostled around constantly by other players and their mounts. You had to be careful with your mounts (especially if levelling a new mount), because mobs or other players could kill them (You could revive them, but they'd have 1hp and run slower until you either used a potion on them or took them to a stablehand to revive properly).

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by eye_m
    yeah, I'm not impressed. They made a big pyramid. Anything assumed beyond that is just conjecture and high hopes.

It is interesting from the engineering angle considering each block is tracked through destruction, is an object with physics and is affected by physics including the simple ability to exist as a structure. On top of that it's the ability for a player to make nearly whatever they want within those definitions making a functional part of the RvR game that is very different than most voxel shaping. If you don't care to understand it then please do not care to let us know.

You stay sassy!