Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Won 80 million dollars/euros in lottery

mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 314

And i think 30 millions are enough to have a great live.

 

thought to spend 50 millions on a mmorpg, a real sandbox one. Something I like and I want to play. No matter if its highly populated or just niche.

 

of course thats unfortunately just fictionally.

but IF, what kind of game would you make? Its YOUR game. Your dream game. What will it be?

 

mine would be a mix of AO, AoC, SWG and a bit here and there. Open seamless world, open housing, open PvP, player driven economy, no respecs (except after big balance changes), probably also no minimap (radar). It would be in a SciFi setting like Star Wars or something like Wasteland (post apocalyptic with mutations) , or just in a very far future. Something like Warhammer would also be nice, rich table top lore.

 

what would be your game like?

«1

Comments

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,680
    If I won that much money, I would stop playing video games and travel the world. By the time I was dead I would have seen and done it all. 



  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 9,893
    a nice house and a nice car in a nice neighborhood somewhere in Japan.




  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 314

    So your both gamer because you are poor? ;-)

     

    you still have 30 millions to buy cars and houses.

     

    but 50 millions for your game. No ideas? :-)

  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,578

    No way I would do 50m fright off for a game. Definitely start smaller to build a brand.

    In all honesty I would put 70m in an account to gather interest and live off the other 10m.

  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

    No way I would do 50m fright off for a game. Definitely start smaller to build a brand.

    In all honesty I would put 70m in an account to gather interest and live off the other 10m.

    Its not a game to make business for you. Its a game you make for yourself to play.

  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,973

    Didn't we just have this thread???  But I didn't reply to that one, so I guess I can reply here anyway.  My dream game is a sandpark game - it would combine...

    these 'sandbox' elements:

    - gathering from the environment

    - growing crops on the ground or in a player-crafted greenhouse, with sim or minigame style gameplay

    - crafting via minigame style gameplay (focus on crafting for oneself, not for selling)

    - player constructed buildings and appliances, though with a focus on solo building, not the usual sandbox focus on communal building

     

    with these themepark elements:

    - highly customizable avatar appearances, and the customizations are mostly quest rewards or dungeon completion rewards, though some things like dye and clothing are craftable.

    - a cast of well-developed, appealing NPC characters who would be the core of the factions and give out quests and faction reputation rewards as well as being courtable/collectible like in a dating sim

    - a central NPC-populated starting zone with tutorials

    - a world marketplace/auctionhouse

    - PvP takes place in an arena system and/or PvP minigames like racing and card games

     

    and some element not ound in current MMOs much:

    - an interactive story system

    - achievements and set completion rewards, especially for collecting

    - all monsters except bosses can be captured and bred as pets

    - pets are tactical combat units, combat is similar to that of Disgaea

    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

    Here's the sandbox I liked to see developed...

    - Instant character creation with no skill or level-progression. You basically built the character you want right away and go with it.

    - Progress would only exist in the form of equipment and money, and there would be lot's of customization-options to make the equipment interesting enough to not think about skills or levels.

    - Single character per account with permadeath. If your toon dies, you can get medical assistance to get revived, but if it's not available your toon vanishes from the game.

    - Accountwide bankaccount. If your toon dies, then you simply create a new one, but your new toon now has access to all the stuff you put in the bank before with your prior toons.

    - All items beyond the starter-equipment has to be crafted and can be customized in the process. Modifications like more precision, more power, higher RoF, etc come to mind. But you need to choose which one to go with ofc, and are not able to have it all.

    - Full loot. If you get killed, then the stuff you're currently carrying becomes free for all.

    - The gameworld would be divided into two islands, one for PvE and one for PvP, but they would be both on the same server. The islands would be connected by a fast-travel-system and the areas around the multitude of entry-points on the PvP-island would be guarded by PvE-guards to prevent a blockade

    - Open world PvP would only exist on a designated island where clans can slug it out to control areas themselves, built their own cities etc. On the PvE-island there would only be arena-PvP.

    - high-end ressources only exist on the PvP-island, while the lesser ressources are available either as loot, mission-rewards or harvesting on the PvE-island. Not all ressources are available through harvesting tho, but some are only available by doing missions.
    This way we give every playstyle a purpose in the crafting-process. PvP-players, PvE-players and miners alike. And everyone can decide how much risk he's willing to accept to get his equipment.

    - missions would come in two flavours. The static missions and dungeons for solo-players and groups, that are developed by the devs, and then there would be a contract-system where players can setup contracts like bounty-hunting, ressource-gathering, hauling, etc

    This would be the basics for what I'd like to see in a new MMORPG.

  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,973
    @Yalexy ; It's interesting how completely opposite your dream game is from mine.  We would probably make for a good example of how different MMO players can be in what they want out of an MMO.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • omgthisnamesuxomgthisnamesux Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Yalexy

    Here's the sandbox I liked to see developed...

    - Instant character creation with no skill or level-progression. You basically built the character you want right away and go with it.

    - Progress would only exist in the form of equipment and money, and there would be lot's of customization-options to make the equipment interesting enough to not think about skills or levels.

    - Single character per account with permadeath. If your toon dies, you can get medical assistance to get revived, but if it's not available your toon vanishes from the game.

    - Accountwide bankaccount. If your toon dies, then you simply create a new one, but your new toon now has access to all the stuff you put in the bank before with your prior toons.

    - All items beyond the starter-equipment has to be crafted and can be customized in the process. Modifications like more precision, more power, higher RoF, etc come to mind. But you need to choose which one to go with ofc, and are not able to have it all.

    - Full loot. If you get killed, then the stuff you're currently carrying becomes free for all.

    - The gameworld would be divided into two islands, one for PvE and one for PvP, but they would be both on the same server. The islands would be connected by a fast-travel-system and the areas around the multitude of entry-points on the PvP-island would be guarded by PvE-guards to prevent a blockade

    - Open world PvP would only exist on a designated island where clans can slug it out to control areas themselves, built their own cities etc. On the PvE-island there would only be arena-PvP.

    - high-end ressources only exist on the PvP-island, while the lesser ressources are available either as loot, mission-rewards or harvesting on the PvE-island. Not all ressources are available through harvesting tho, but some are only available by doing missions.
    This way we give every playstyle a purpose in the crafting-process. PvP-players, PvE-players and miners alike. And everyone can decide how much risk he's willing to accept to get his equipment.

    - missions would come in two flavours. The static missions and dungeons for solo-players and groups, that are developed by the devs, and then there would be a contract-system where players can setup contracts like bounty-hunting, ressource-gathering, hauling, etc

    This would be the basics for what I'd like to see in a new MMORPG.

     

    Didn't you basically just describe Path of Exile.

  • tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

    It would be like Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim without the main quest.

     

    Instead you could start at any of the main settlements and each would have their own newbie tasks, factions etc with the world gradually getting more dangerous in a series of concentric circles around each starting settlement (except less so along patrolled roads).

     

    So you could start in any of a dozen or so starting settlements and level up in a hundred different ways for maximum replayability.

     

    There would be the equivalent of a single player game's main quest against a big baddie but they would be similar to EQ's epic quests and start at high level and vary by class / faction so there's multiple versions - so for example if the game had 50 levels you might pick your epic quest around level 40 or so.

     

    Replayability would be the core idea so I could play it for three months then come back to it a year later and play it again for three months and then the year after that and the year after that replaying the game differently each time in the same way I play games like Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim but with other people running around so it was more alive.

     

     

  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 9,893
    Originally posted by mistmaker

    So your both gamer because you are poor? ;-)

     

    you still have 30 millions to buy cars and houses.

     

    but 50 millions for your game. No ideas? :-)

    With that much money i can use some of it to build a top of the line PC, buy every single console and hand held that i like with every game that i like...

    Why waste my money building a game that could potentially fail and cost me even more down the road, let alone keeping the servers alive if its online? No thanks.





  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 20,786

    If you win $80 million, then decide to spend $50 million on an MMORPG, then after the $50 million was gone, the game wouldn't be done yet, but would seem like it was close.  So you'd spend another $10 million to finish it, then another $10 million, then another $10 million, and then your money would be gone and the game still wouldn't be ready to launch.  And then the IRS would come calling about the taxes that you owe your winnings that are now gone.

    If you play the lottery dreaming about what you'd do with all the money if you win, you're doing it wrong.  If you actually win, the smartest thing to do would be to give all of the money to charity and carry on as if you hadn't won.  Otherwise, winning the lottery will ruin your life.

  • BaghoolBaghool Member CommonPosts: 118

    I think I'd try to buyout an existing mid range popular MMO and pay the team there to craft it into the game I wanted.

     

    And I'd have a Subway sandwich shop built onto my house...

    "Investment firms do not have that outlook on life. They need to know there is not only a return on their investment but also a solid profit at the end of it." tawess-

  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

    I would spend 15 of the 50 on the actual game and the rest would go into marketing and hype. It would be a huge cash grab game so I could come back to these forums and troll those I ripped off.

    Then I would take those profits and buy this site and praise the quality of my game. Bill, you can stay on as my puppet figure head, but I would force you to grow a push broom mustache and refer to you as Murph.

    Then I would take my remaining funds & get Smed & MacQuaid back together to work on a new game called Leisure Suit Larry Online.

    Shortly thereafter I would be found dead of a cocaine overdose in a hotel room outside Las Vegas. 

     

    The End.

    -Chuckles
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303
    I'd have to be a billionaire to consider paying for a game.  But if I could it would probably be attached to an IP I'm a fan of that will never get a game otherwise, like Farscape or Babylon 5 or something.
  • Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    If I won that much money, I would stop playing video games and travel the world. By the time I was dead I would have seen and done it all. 

    This, no discussion.

  • Originally posted by Quizzical

    If you win $80 million, then decide to spend $50 million on an MMORPG, then after the $50 million was gone, the game wouldn't be done yet, but would seem like it was close.  So you'd spend another $10 million to finish it, then another $10 million, then another $10 million, and then your money would be gone and the game still wouldn't be ready to launch.  And then the IRS would come calling about the taxes that you owe your winnings that are now gone.

    If you play the lottery dreaming about what you'd do with all the money if you win, you're doing it wrong.  If you actually win, the smartest thing to do would be to give all of the money to charity and carry on as if you hadn't won.  Otherwise, winning the lottery will ruin your life.

    I guess you don't realize that the state takes the taxes out for you.

     

    In a perfect world without sin, sure give all your wealth to charity. In the real world you're just redistributing your wealth to others.

  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    Originally posted by sunandshadow

    Didn't we just have this thread???  But I didn't reply to that one, so I guess I can reply here anyway.  My dream game is a sandpark game - it would combine...

    these 'sandbox' elements:

    - gathering from the environment

    - growing crops on the ground or in a player-crafted greenhouse, with sim or minigame style gameplay

    - crafting via minigame style gameplay (focus on crafting for oneself, not for selling)

    - player constructed buildings and appliances, though with a focus on solo building, not the usual sandbox focus on communal building

     

    with these themepark elements:

    - highly customizable avatar appearances, and the customizations are mostly quest rewards or dungeon completion rewards, though some things like dye and clothing are craftable.

    - a cast of well-developed, appealing NPC characters who would be the core of the factions and give out quests and faction reputation rewards as well as being courtable/collectible like in a dating sim

    - a central NPC-populated starting zone with tutorials

    - a world marketplace/auctionhouse

    - PvP takes place in an arena system and/or PvP minigames like racing and card games

     

    and some element not ound in current MMOs much:

    - an interactive story system

    - achievements and set completion rewards, especially for collecting

    - all monsters except bosses can be captured and bred as pets

    - pets are tactical combat units, combat is similar to that of Disgaea

    Or you could do my new sandbox game called:  Build A Mmorpg or BAM for short.  How do you play BAM?  Basically, players gather the hardware and the tools to develop their own mmorpg!  They can explore the Internet and real world locations to find what they need to play the game. 

    At this point some of you are saying that sounds like too much solo.  Well, players can form their own groups and raids for BAM.  This type of teamwork is all self-organized so can run it whatever way you want to!

    *****This just in, alpha test started today.  So go out there and start playing the intergalactically famous game Build A Mmorpg!

    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

    Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

    Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

    John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

    FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

    LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"




  • VardahothVardahoth Member RarePosts: 1,472

    I Quit.

    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/436845/page/1 -> http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/436845/what-killed-mmorpgs-for-you/p1

    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2316034
    .............
    Retired Gamer: all MMORPG's have been destroyed by big business, marketing of false promises, unprofessional game makers, and a generation of "I WIN and GIVE ME NOW" (brought to you by pokeman).

  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,313


    Originally posted by mistmaker
    So your both gamer because you are poor? ;-) you still have 30 millions to buy cars and houses. but 50 millions for your game. No ideas? :-)

    Why do we need money to build a game?

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,940

    80 million is a pittance, now if I get 500M then the plan for total world domination goes into action.

    Hail Hydra!

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,973
    Originally posted by ArChWind

     


    Originally posted by mistmaker
    So your both gamer because you are poor? ;-)

     

     

    you still have 30 millions to buy cars and houses.

     

    but 50 millions for your game. No ideas? :-)


     

    Why do we need money to build a game?

    You seriously think you could build a game with attractive graphics and fun gameplay in less than a decade without money?  Please tell me how, because I've been involved in indie game design for over a decade and have yet to have any success with unfunded volunteer teams.  Even a kickstarter campaign costs a little money to set up the promotional graphics and such.

    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,313


    Originally posted by sunandshadow
    Originally posted by ArChWind   Originally posted by mistmaker So your both gamer because you are poor? ;-)     you still have 30 millions to buy cars and houses.   but 50 millions for your game. No ideas? :-)
      Why do we need money to build a game?
    You seriously think you could build a game with attractive graphics and fun gameplay in less than a decade without money?  Please tell me how, because I've been involved in indie game design for over a decade and have yet to have any success with unfunded volunteer teams.  Even a kickstarter campaign costs a little money to set up the promotional graphics and such.

    Yes, I seriously think a team of dedicated people could but then there lacks a common denominator.

    Willing to work and it is blood sweat and tears work.

  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,510
    I would not make a video game with that kind of money, that is for sure. 
  • TezcatlapoccaTezcatlapocca Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Ya no way i'd be spending any cash on making yet another game that will fail, players these days just don't stick around long enough anymore for it to pay off.

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.