Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Chronicles of Elyria: Soulbound Studios Wants to Bring Meaning Back to MMO Life

Comments

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

The whole "each soul has a destiny" makes me very skeptical. Unless it's something very generic that you get at random there's pretty much no way to pull that off.

It's clear that the inspiration for the idea came from Wheel of Time, but I highly doubt that our character's going to be Rand, Mat or Perrin. :P

And even if such a heroic destiny got assigned to some random guy, who's to say it wouldn't be to one of the mayfly MMOers that just pops in one day, plays for a week at best, and is then gone forever again?

The game sounds interesting so far, but I won't be holding my breath. And I'm also waiting for them to reveal it's going to be yet another full PvP gankfest with ugly graphics.

Soul destiny does sound like RNG making this incarnation miserable.   Run out, get killed a dozen times, hope next life is better.

Yuppers on the next reveal being PvP gankbox.  Join the parade. 

• BlazefireBlazefire Member UncommonPosts: 44

These are all really awesome ideas, and I would LOVE to play this game if it were made how they described it. However, it's one thing to draft up a design document with great ideas like some of those which were mentioned, but actually being able to put them together cohesively into a game that works is something entirely different. It also seems like this game would require a pretty hefty budget to pull this stuff off... and we probably wouldn't get to play it for a loooong time :(

But if and when they make a game that even resembles what they mentioned in this article... I really hope I'm still around and can play it! Sounds amazing!

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

If they want to have a truly skill based game, equipment should simply be a skin that you strive to get better looking equipment and you survive solely based on the skills you've trained.

Sounds intriguing, but I'm pretty sure my stint with MMORPGs are done after I've grown tired of the one I'm playing.

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    send me an email in a few years, let me know if any of this really happens...
  • Originally posted by Wizardry

Yes i saw the idea behind dying in game would take years or time off your life but that also carries a possible bad point.

As the design is,we likely see players dying on purpose to  get that death buff.It all depends on how it is weighted.None the less we likely see dying as a faster way to get to that end game buff than grinding through that whole year,basically players will decipher what is the best option.

Example you may need 2 months of grinding before any mass on purpose dying would benefit your player,then players decide is another 10 months of grinding worth more to me than simply dying over and over to get to that next life buff.

As i said this is a very interesting game,will be nice to see how it actually works.

I think you missed points in the article, or just didn't read it.

• WicasaWicasa Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Sounded good until I remembered that I have to work 40 hours a week! Blizzard understands its fans grew up, and adjusted accordingly, so if you want your game to be extremely real, like its another job, then let us make real world money like Second Life or something...

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Deasant
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Yes i saw the idea behind dying in game would take years or time off your life but that also carries a possible bad point.

As the design is,we likely see players dying on purpose to  get that death buff.It all depends on how it is weighted.None the less we likely see dying as a faster way to get to that end game buff than grinding through that whole year,basically players will decipher what is the best option.

Example you may need 2 months of grinding before any mass on purpose dying would benefit your player,then players decide is another 10 months of grinding worth more to me than simply dying over and over to get to that next life buff.

As i said this is a very interesting game,will be nice to see how it actually works.

I think you missed points in the article, or just didn't read it.

Right?

Let's think this through for a moment.  Death buff?  The likely explanation of this feature is that your new character simply has the same skill values or a fraction/percent of the values that the previous character had.  For example, the 'parent' had a sword skill of 100 out of 100 possible points.  The 'child' is born with 20% of the 'parent's' sword skill, meaning they start at 20 of 100 possible points when compared to someone's very first character who starts with a sword skill of 0 of 100 possible points.  These are obviously magical, dreamed up numbers.

No game with even a half-baked feature set would just "buff" your character for dying.  Unless of course, we're all Saiyans and this is the Dragon Ball universe.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

This sounds like a fascinating concept.

How they manage to execute these ideas will be interesting to watch during development.

The only issue that I have with this concept is the idea that 100% of skills will require some amount of player skill.  I'm not sure what that means. I really don't want to screw up on forging a sword a few times in a row because I didn't click a power meter bar at the right spot or some other silliness.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

honestly, if a dev at the beginning of such a huge project comes out with all that innovative stuff they want to do - all i can think is that hes probably really inexperienced and that this will never release as promissed...

name one single game that came out right at the beginning of the project with a lot of innovative stuff they wanted to do and actually delivered in the end?

yea right...

There are only a few games in the line up that qualify for your statement Star Citizen and Citadel of Sorcery along with this game... all 3 are in development and we have to hold judgement until they have the opening release after Beta... I learned after GW1 that betas are notoriously not the same as release.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• Originally posted by Wicasa
    Sounded good until I remembered that I have to work 40 hours a week! Blizzard understands its fans grew up, and adjusted accordingly, so if you want your game to be extremely real, like its another job, then let us make real world money like Second Life or something...

So let me get this straight, think I'm missing something about your perspective. Are you telling us that your generation, whichever that is, is the last generation that will ever play video games?

Are you really saying that when your life changed to where you no longer have as much time for games, that everyone else's life in the world changed to mirror yours?!?

Don't feel too bad guy, some humans have taken longer than others to rectify that the world is not flat and that we are not the center of the universe.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Rasputin

One problem with perma-death and PvP is, that people will behave like cowards. They will snipe at others, avoiding open combat, they will run in face of the slightest danger, they will move in big groups for security.

I don't know the details, but if you will perma-die from losing, it will put a severe hamper on PvP.

Sort of like real life war maybe, and not a team sport activity?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Much as I'd love this, if I wanted to play a FPS or MOBA I would(and do). That's not what I want in my mmorpg. I love the ambitious reach. If the engine is good it has a chance.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Someone is listening....
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by SouzouMiguel

Thanks! We love and share your excitement for Chronicles of Elyria, as it has been the game everyone at Soulbound Studios has been waiting for too! Make sure to register on the site so you can receive updates when we release information. 

Okay, you guys are obviously using bots for this....

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Robsolf

I'll believe it when I see it.  Alot of games that have come down the pipe start out with claims that seem like they'd change the face of MMO's... Rift's ummm... Rifts, and soul system, GW2's events... and while they're perfectly good systems, they don't revolutionize gameplay by any stretch.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that this game will launch with the stuff they mention, but it won't have a significant impact on gameplay as compared to other MMO's.  We'll see; I'd love to be proven wrong.

Could not have said it better myself.  I was taken with some of the systems and mechanics that were talked about in Archeage and that didn't turn out well.  It all sounds great, but we'll have to see if they can execute it.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by RemyVorender

They had me at:

"Realism. The world should behave more like a simulation than a game"

100%.  it's what makes eve so special.  keeping a watchful eye on this.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SouzouMiguelSouzouMiguel Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by asdfbbq
    One word: Perfect.

Thank you, asdfbbq, and thank you to everyone else who has shown such an amazing response. We  hope you'll join us in our epic quest to glory by becoming a part of our community.

-Miguel
    Chronicles of Elyria Community Manager

Originally posted by itchmon
    Originally posted by RemyVorender

They had me at:

"Realism. The world should behave more like a simulation than a game"

100%.  it's what makes eve so special.  keeping a watchful eye on this.

We are right there with you :) Chronicles of Elyria is the game that we here at Soulbound Studios have been dying to see, so we're incredibly excited to be making it. Feel free to learn more about the game and keep up with our progress by keeping an eye on our Dev Journals here on MMORPG.com or over at our website chroniclesofelyria.com.

-Miguel

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Sounds good, but unless they have something real to show it's all just another bunch of ideas on paper that will probably get stuck in development hell for the next 5 years. Best of luck to them though.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Seeing lots of buzzwords being thrown around in that article, which does make a few alarm bells go off right away when kickstarters are mentioned afterwards.

That said, I do feel a lot of interesting and fresh ideas there as well. I hope they focus more on those than on a desire to go back in time to older MMO's, as that's bound to fail.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Sounds way, way, waaaaay too ambitious for them. Maybe if we were talking about a big studio with established talent and endless wells of money...

IMO this will either take 5+ years to happen (by which time the graphics/systems will be obsolete), or it will be far simpler than what has been stated. 

Bold claims....too bold....

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Survival single player game? Yes

Survival multi-player game? Sure, ARK seems like a great game I may eventually get.

Survival MMORPGs? Not for me, if I feel it wont hold me long term I wont bother with it and that's what permadeath does for me even being born into another character means that first character is gone and so is the attachment to it, its still permadeath and the article indicates that skills still have to be re-learned so it really is the same thing. I, personally require a persona in an MMO for the game to have any chance of me sticking with it for more than a few months otherwise there is no attachment. Its one of the reasons why some regular MMOs didn't hold me for more than a month or two, the character creation process and story was so bland that it felt like nothing more than a soulless avatar in a dead world. While the family idea is an attempt to create a bond, I don't have a group mentality, I have an individualist mentality.

Anyway, hope their ideas pan out for them, some of them sound very interesting. Perhaps if they implement them well enough another company will come along and make a non survivalist MMO with them in it.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Because we're trying to create a realistic game, we're intentionally avoiding the situation where, for example, you have a quest that is "Gather 20 Wolf Pelts", and having a dedicated area where you would go to kill the wolves. Instead, wolves, like any other animal, will be part of the ecosystem, and therefore the population isn't infinite.

In regards to human "wildlife", players and OPCs can violate the rules of a contract (agreements between players or the rules of a town, etc.), and there will be opportunities for some players to go on a "bounty hunt" for the characters who have violated those contracts.

-Miguel

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There are a lot of areas gamer's seem to be missing here.

YES it is a good idea to discuss concepts 2 years away,you don't think ANY dev is going  into Beta and making game changes do you?

On realism,i think they likely mean PLAUSIBLE realism,you cannot have total realism in a video game so no sense jumping all over them for using that term.Example we don't want players jumping 50 feet in the air and coming down crushing 50 foes with one blow,that would just be silly.

As to permadeath,imo the best way to do it is during the same phase of combat.Example you get ko'd but can get back up with less abilities and less hp however the enemy remains as it was for about 10 seconds unless you engage it again.

So perhaps if you die after the second KO or third KO you are permanently dead.I don't mind the death by aging however i think we need to look at a better system than a buff but i do like the thought process i would not complain either way and yes i would play game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by SouzouMiguel
    Originally posted by asdfbbq
    One word: Perfect.

Thank you, asdfbbq, and thank you to everyone else who has shown such an amazing response. We  hope you'll join us in our epic quest to glory by becoming a part of our community.

I have my reservations but I would love to be a part of the community but for some reason the site wont let me login, even if I change my password still says everything is wrong.

*edit* nm it suddenly worked. I guess I just had to post to say its not working so it could prove me wrong