Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plz Help! Games crashing / unplayable!!

JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100

hello everyone, some background on my pc I built it about 3 months ago and here are the specs.

i5-4690k - currently at stock clocks.

Asrock z97 extreme 4 motherboard

gs700 power supply

Gtx 960

1TB HD, and 125 850 evo SSD.

ok here is the issue I am having "Display driver Nvidia Windows Kernel mode driver, version 353.30 stopped responding and successfully recovered.

I have tried everything from the mile long page on the NVidia forum with other people having same issues with different versions of the driver and nothing seems to work. every time I load into a game my screen goes black like im losing power to my monitor then this error pops up. Sometimes its immediately after I loading into a game sometimes its 10 minutes later.

any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Roll back to before you updated the driver if you have Windows System restore enabled. If you don't uninstall the driver and reinstall an older version.

See what that does.

• ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Are you sure that you connected the 6 pin power cable to the header on the video card?  What you are describing is a lack of power to the video card, but that power supply should be more than adequate....
  • AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Had a similar problem with a grafics card, there was an ommision in how the bios was written and it tried to go over it's core clock limit. Lowering the core clock by 30 with MSI Afterburner made it work fine. That might be the problem for you as well and if it is, considering you still have warranty, you might want to replace it, preferably for a different brand (the one I had troble with was a gigabyte), since same brand, same bios, might have the same problem.
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Could be a faulty PSU. GS700 is neither top of the line nor very recent as far as I know. 
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    The problem is neither the vid card nor the psu(power supply unit) the problem is with your memory and how your video card interacts with it. Ive had this problem before and when i swapped out the ram the display driver stopped crashing.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Try old drivers 347.xx. My friend had similar problem, replacing drivers helped him.
  • JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I appreciate the replies though every post is saying a different solution to the problem. I have tried different drivers and I'm still having the issue. I can replace the power supply I'll have to order one the pic has been running fine for 3 months now this error just started occurring.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Jenosyde

hello everyone, some background on my pc I built it about 3 months ago and here are the specs.

i5-4690k - currently at stock clocks.

Asrock z97 extreme 4 motherboard

gs700 power supply

Gtx 960

1TB HD, and 125 850 evo SSD.

ok here is the issue I am having "Display driver Nvidia Windows Kernel mode driver, version 353.30 stopped responding and successfully recovered.

I have tried everything from the mile long page on the NVidia forum with other people having same issues with different versions of the driver and nothing seems to work. every time I load into a game my screen goes black like im losing power to my monitor then this error pops up. Sometimes its immediately after I loading into a game sometimes its 10 minutes later.

any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.

Familiar problem.

Last ditch effort in case other advice does not work:

- Look at your monitor and it's connections.

** What kind of cables do you use to your monitor(s)?

I had the same symptoms with a older HD monitor which had DVI-D and a HDMI connections to choose from.

With the HDMI cable I had regular black screens always followed by a Windows kernel error.

I tried rolling back to older drivers, nothing worked. Nvidia guy told me to look at my monitor + cable.

Switched to a DVI-D cable and all was good. Never had any problem since.

You might want to try to change the type of connection + cable.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Hey yeah I also applied that hot fix and still having the same issue :(
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I appreciate the replies though every post is saying a different solution to the problem. I have tried different drivers and I'm still having the issue. I can replace the power supply I'll have to order one the pic has been running fine for 3 months now this error just started occurring.

Baby steps... so when did the problem start?

You say you built your system 3 months ago. Was everything fine for the first 2.5 months? Was it all new parts or just some of them were new? You say you're running at stock speed... did you always or just now that you started having problems?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Two things I'd try:

1)  Try unplugging everything that touches the GPU and then plugging it back in.  Pull the GPU out of its PCI Express slot and put it back in.  Unplug the PCI-E power connectors and plug them back in.  Unplug the monitors and plug them back in.  If a connection isn't quite right, that can cause weird things to happen.  I once had a computer that kept freezing until I pulled the video card out of the AGP slot (yeah, that dates it) and put it back in, which fixed the problem.

2)  Try underclocking the video card by about 100 MHz or so and disabling turbo.  It might just not be stable at the clock speed and voltage it is trying to run at.  That won't affect you at idle, as it clocks way down at idle.  But it can affect things at load.

Originally posted by Iselin

You say you built your system 3 months ago. Was everything fine for the first 2.5 months? Was it all new parts or just some of them were new? You say you're running at stock speed... did you always or just now that you started having problems?

hey yea everything has been running smoothly up until this week. which is weird cause that latest driver I installed from nvidiia came out the 22nd of june..so now its causing problems a month later? im not sure. I found a whole thread of the NVidia website about the issue and tried tweaking several things they mentioned yet nothing seems to work. I have also seen where TDR's can be a cause of hardware failure but im not sure which would be the problem the psu or the gpu :S

Originally posted by Quizzical

Two things I'd try:

1)  Try unplugging everything that touches the GPU and then plugging it back in.  Pull the GPU out of its PCI Express slot and put it back in.  Unplug the PCI-E power connectors and plug them back in.  Unplug the monitors and plug them back in.  If a connection isn't quite right, that can cause weird things to happen.  I once had a computer that kept freezing until I pulled the video card out of the AGP slot (yeah, that dates it) and put it back in, which fixed the problem.

2)  Try underclocking the video card by about 100 MHz or so and disabling turbo.  It might just not be stable at the clock speed and voltage it is trying to run at.  That won't affect you at idle, as it clocks way down at idle.  But it can affect things at load.

hey quiz, I tried unplugging everything inside the case connecting gpu and replugging also even used a can of air duster to blow it out ( wasn't much dust have several dust filters on my case) but I did just so I can rule dust out. I have been hearing coil whine on my card ever since I purchased it. its a EVGA GTX 960 SSC and was only suppose to be a temporary card to get me playable till I could upgrade to 970 or higher. I don't know much about over clocking or under clocking is their software I could install to do this? I have EVGA precision X installed and temps seem fine under load.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Iselin

hey yea everything has been running smoothly up until this week. which is weird cause that latest driver I installed from nvidiia came out the 22nd of june..so now its causing problems a month later? im not sure. I found a whole thread of the NVidia website about the issue and tried tweaking several things they mentioned yet nothing seems to work. I have also seen where TDR's can be a cause of hardware failure but im not sure which would be the problem the psu or the gpu :S

Anything new this week? New game install, new anything else install? Did you move the computer, clean it, etc?

PS. Also.. not sure if you've seen and tried this. The guy says nVidia tech support told him to try it. It's at worst harmless if it doesn't work.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9xyjPM_bCQ

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Two things I'd try:

hey quiz, I tried unplugging everything inside the case connecting gpu and replugging also even used a can of air duster to blow it out ( wasn't much dust have several dust filters on my case) but I did just so I can rule dust out. I have been hearing coil whine on my card ever since I purchased it. its a EVGA GTX 960 SSC and was only suppose to be a temporary card to get me playable till I could upgrade to 970 or higher. I don't know much about over clocking or under clocking is their software I could install to do this? I have EVGA precision X installed and temps seem fine under load.

It might just be an unstable overclock, as you got a video card that is factory overclocked by about 15% or so.  Overclocking tends to make hardware degrade faster, which doesn't allow it to clock as high as it used to be able to.  Try opening the EVGA Precision X software you have installed and see if you can reduce the base clock and boost clock by about 100 MHz or so.  If that makes it stable, then it was an unstable overclock.

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Try disabling pci express power savings, the exact option is link state power management under advanced power options and pci express.  Unfortunately tdr (timeout detection and recovery) errors are really generic and could be caused by almost anything.  One scenario is that windows power saving features are too aggressive.  Since it is easy to test and non hardware related fault you should try it.
    The problem is NOT with the video card. WIll everyone please stop trying to assume that it is. If the video card was the problem you would only see it with the graphics in video games going funky not with the display driver crashing. The problem is with his RAM and that it is dying. He needs to replace it.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I had the same issue RMA'd the card and they tested it and agreed it was a bad card sent me a replacement
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by akiira69
    The problem is NOT with the video card. WIll everyone please stop trying to assume that it is. If the video card was the problem you would only see it with the graphics in video games going funky not with the display driver crashing. The problem is with his RAM and that it is dying. He needs to replace it.

Sorry mate but you are wrong.  Nvidia have released a hotfix beta driver to try to solve it.  It doesn't work for everyone but OP should try that route before anything else.  The simple fact is that if everything was working fine before updating the driver then it's a 99% certainty that the new driver is to blame, and it isn't the first time that this problem has occurred with new Nvidia drivers.

Originally posted by Stuka1000

Sorry mate but you are wrong.  Nvidia have released a hotfix beta driver to try to solve it.  It doesn't work for everyone but OP should try that route before anything else.  The simple fact is that if everything was working fine before updating the driver then it's a 99% certainty that the new driver is to blame, and it isn't the first time that this problem has occurred with new Nvidia drivers.

If the problem was the software then everyone using that software would be having the same problem. Since this is not the case its not a software problem or a video card problem. I have had this same problem that the OP is having once I removed the faulty RAM I stopped having this problem.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by Stuka1000

If the problem was the software then everyone using that software would be having the same problem. Since this is not the case its not a software problem or a video card problem. I have had this same problem that the OP is having once I removed the faulty RAM I stopped having this problem.

Wrong again.  There are an almost infinite number of PC configurations and any one of them could be causing the driver to crash.  In your case changing the ram worked.  Have you considered the possibility that there was actually nothing wrong with the dimms themselves but that particular manufacturer or model of ram was the problem, causing an incompatibility with the driver?

Problems like this exist in just about everything to do with PC's, hardware or software.  The video driver could be bumping up against a particular sound driver, mouse driver, app that loads on startup etc. etc.  Do you really think that Nvidia would be releasing hotfixes if there was nothing wrong at their end?

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

OP, You say only started this week. then did you do any windows update? Can you roll back to last week config with windows utility.

Also do what 1 of the poster requested, look at your ram in the case and make sure they are installed correctly, it could be that at 1 point the case was moved or you installed something or even just cleaned the inside of the case and something is loose witch is causing a small short at different interval.

Last but not least it could be the cable connecting the monitor to the video card that is starting to wear out from inside. 

P.S forgot to add, are you sure you did not move the pc or plug something else in the power outlet in the wall or the power bar that could take extra juice and make it so that your pc is not getting the amount needed to support extra load?

Ok here's an update, I RMA the 960 they sent me another.. Issue is still there. While I was waiting on the new card I was using my Integrated graphics and was able to play my games just on lower settings with no issues. Any thoughts?