Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lack of futuristic set RPG's

13»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    lahnmir said:
    @Craftseeker,

If you are looking for something a bit more 'hard sci-fi' and not Fantasy in the Future kinda stuff might I suggest taking a look at the RPG After Reset? They are quite serious in shaping their game in a semi realistic way.

It is still being developed but it might be something to keep an eye on.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    I think one of the frustrations with this site is people always recommending games that aren't even playable yet.....Its like "Hey this game is in alpha and should be released by 2020!"...Instead of just giving us a good solid game we can play right now we get what might be instead of what is.
    I do not know of any 'hard' sci-fi games besides the one I mentioned. If there was any released right now that I knew of I would have mentioned that one. Besides, it never hurts to check something out in advance, frustrating it might be that you can not get your hands on it straight away.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• evgen88evgen88 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    evgen88 said:
    @craftseeker Are you saying that things we can imagine that have come to fruition are ok, but ones that haven't yet are nonsense? Seems like the you are considering now as the apex of human discovery.
    Especially the life sign scanner, that really just seems like a matter of time for sensors to improve and the inteligence to recognize what is detected. Seems like you would have laughed at thermal imaging.
    They also found microbes recently in an "alien Antarctic lake". Finding thse scientists are hopefull to find life on some other planets and moons in our solar system.
    Still saying there haven't been any recent discoveries?

And if they didn't find any life in the dead sea until last century (not the 2000 years you stated) wouldn't that be a good indicator of where it's name comes from? Or is it named after the nearby country of Dead?

And one last final word . . .

Carbon Nanotubes

.... and what is it that those "life signs detectors" are detecting?  
    Sorry it is just mysticism pretending to be something else.  There are no life signs other than the obvious, heat, breathing etc.  Even the electrical emissions of the brain and nerves are so small that they could not be usefully detected at a distance, particularly with so many other sources of electromagnetic emissions.

No you are some how hoping in a "soul" detector, or something that reads an aura at a distance, both religious ideas not scientific ones.

... and back to "The Dead Sea", that is an English name you might notice, probably given by an Englishman.  It is also a name that had no usage prior to the First Crusade and probably very little, if any, until the last couple of centuries (I am not an Arab scholar so I do not know).

Also you should really go and look at that 1936 paper.  They went there to classify and identify the life forms in the lake, not to see if there were any.  So even English scientists knew that there was life there prior to 1936.

Finally a word for you graphene!  (even better than the two words you used).

In prose sometimes the term Yām ha-Māvet (ים המוות, "sea of death") is used, due to the scarcity of aquatic life there. In Arabic the Dead Sea is called  al-Bahr al-Mayyit ("the Dead Sea"),

David Bridger; Samuel Wolk (September 1976). The New Jewish Encyclopedia. Behrman House, Inc. p. 109. ISBN 978-0-87441-120-1. Retrieved July 25, 2011. It was named the “Dead Sea” because of the fact that no living thing can exist there, since the water is extremely salty and bitter.

So, graphene, your point was everythign has been either predicted or conceived of already, were graphene or carbon nanotubes predicted 100 years ago?