Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's a bad game

12346»

Comments

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    I agree with the UI, being a someone who works with Game UI's , professionally, I have said it many times to them, but falls on deaf ears..Not my game, if they choose not to listen..
    Archlyte said:

While the title of the thread seems a bit careless, I read the long original post and found it to be a very intelligent critique of the problems that exist in the foundational level of Repopulation. I was recently puzzled when a friend of mine reported that he didn't like Repop after playing it, and besides bugs, described the same disconnect that you detailed.

I think that Repop has enough surface resemblance to SWG to make it engaging for someone looking for a sandbox, but the outer framework suffers from too many wrong turns in trying to make the game have its own identity.

One of the first things I noticed in early testing was the defensive attitude of the people involved when comparisons to SWG are made and a deficit reported. When it comes to positive comparisons the relationship is welcomed, but if you voice anything to the contrary, groupthink and the excuse: "wrong game," will emerge. I don't believe they can have their cake and eat it too.

-The auction house thing needs to go. With such huge possibilities for a player run economy they need to remove the next minute air option. Goods to Market needs to be part of the equation, as well as having different markets.

-The Plot Housing thing was ill-conceived. Once again MMO devs have fallen into the trap of preserving their story by stifling yours. I don't give a fuck if the aliens spawn close by, open world housing needs to be in there or it's just a slightly more immersive version of instanced housing. Put decay and inhabitation in there if you don't want clutter. It's a simple matter to make abandoned structures pack up and to not let maintenance be paid for 5 years in advance. What they have done has essentially made the world smaller by sectioning it off into large unusable bits.

-The UI is just plain shitty. Design, Implementation, symbology, customization. The UI actually takes me out of the game because it seems to fight the other visuals, and often wins. Where target indicator/con is concerned the look is gaudy, too colorful, and not helpful.

I think that there is a lot of potential in the game, and I think that once it launches it will be something I play regularly. The main thing with Repop is that it is not a casual game nor do I think it will be. It's a game that will require large investments of time and because of that I can forgive the things like the hard leveling of the armor skills and the attachments. A good amount of tutorial should be spent explaining those things to new players though so they don't feel unduly attacked by the system.

I also think that the team should put in things like backpacks, true open world housing, and harvesters that don't just go on a node. I guess once you have that control you want to make the thing that you envision, but some of those choices could be remade for the betterment of the player experience.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I Imagine they are invested in that vision but I wish they would listen to you Darkcrystal.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 659
    UI is definitely of prime importance. That's how you take a handle in your virtual world.

That being said, sometimes, on smaller teams andon tighter budgets, people have to wear many hats.
    TheRepopulationAltCommunity - A The Repopulation Community... Free.
    Chronicles of Elyria - Dynamic Story-Driven Sandbox With Permadeath.