Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO

apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168

So I bought ESO at a discount price for 12$. Man am I glad I didn't pay full price.

Fuckin quest after quest after quest. Lord how I hate quests. Run here, get that, do this, do that etc. Why can't I just play? Why do I have to do quests?

I'm not sure if I can level efficiently not doing quests.

I tried Shroud of the Avatar, damn I can't wait till it gets out of alpha. There is quests in it but you don't have to do them, and there are very few of them. You can pick any road you want to follow in that game and progress without doing linear quests.

While over 80% of MMOs have quests, I hope that in the future there will be games where you don't have to quest at all to progress.

Goddam questing bullshit. Now I really learned my lesson with themepark MMOs and it cost me 12$. I was hoping ESO would have stayed in its sandbox roots. I hope I don't make the same mistake of buying another themepark MMO.

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Next time get some info before you buy?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Muke

Usually I check videos about the game before I buy it. But I thought, hey its Elder Scrolls, its a sandbox. Silly me.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

Wow, the nerve... An Elder Scrolls game with many quests. Who would have thought a game from the same mold as Oblivion and Skyrim would have quest after quest?  It shocked me too. 

As an alternative, try crafting, dungeon crawling, delve crawling, monster hunting, pvp, ... etc.  There is much more to this game than questing, if you only look around. Try making some friends and doing some Dolmens, or kill the many world bosses in the game for experience. You can even just run around and discover areas for experience. You may have to do quests, but there is much, much more to do. The game is not as one-dimensional as your post is letting on. Plus, it is an MMO> 

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I just sold my account for 40$. Paid 12$ got 40$. Bye bye themepark bullshit ESO.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by apb2011

Usually I check videos about the game before I buy it. But I thought, hey its Elder Scrolls, its a sandbox. Silly me.

You thought...an Elder Scrolls game...was a sandbox?

What other Elder Scrolls games have you played? Precisely zero of them have been sandboxes. Quests, levels and loot have been the core of TES games since Arena.

Also, there's no need to quest in ESO to level, grinding mobs is WAY faster. (Which is the ONLY way to advance in a sandbox).

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

Soooo ... Elder scrolls game was actually an RPG ?

Amazing!

Im shocked.

Its almost like it plays true to Elder Scrolls franchise. You know - RPG.

If you want a true sandbox - buy EVE online.

I will enjoy the tears.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by Entinerint

What other Elder Scrolls games have you played? Precisely zero of them have been sandboxes. Quests, levels and loot have been the core of TES games since Arena.

Also, there's no need to quest in ESO to level, grinding mobs is WAY faster. (Which is the ONLY way to advance in a sandbox).

I would say you are incorrect.

Or, more truthfully, you are absolutely correct based upon how you play.

Quests, levels and loot have been the core of TES games since Arena.

Well, that's great except a good friend of mine has played since morrowind and rarely does quests. In his last few "run throughs" of skyrim he wore no armor, had one decent bow (nothign that amazing) and that was that, he didn't craft, or upgrade to different loot. He liked to sell it though.

He pretty much didn't care about levels. Quite frankly, he's sort of a gaming hero to me in that he doesn't play video games with the exception of the elder scrolls games and plays them more like a "sandbox" (which none of us can agree what is a sandbox. I call the Elder Scrolls games sandboxes and we can argue about that in the sandbox/themepark thread) reads the books likes selling items and exploring and essentially finds something in them that he likes and that he can play "his way.

He's even suggested things like "I wish you had to eat food in these games" (I've told him about mods but he doesn't trust them). If he was an actual gamer he would be a hardcore, permadeath, make your own fun, sandbox player (for the most part).

As far as my elder scrolls gameplay, I do some quests but usually don't do many quests. Don't really care about "loot" and even, in some of my games, will give myself the "loot" to make me look like I want right off the bat and be done with "loot" for the rest of the game.

What I'm getting at is that people play these games differently and approach them differently. I've read of people "beating" the game in a few hours and wondering why people are still playing them years later. At the moment I have 1,192 hours and I believe GeezerGamer (on this site) has double that.

to that point: "op you did this to yourself as you actually don't have to do the quests if you don't want to". 

Some people just level by exploring and killing mobs or grinding and also adding some pvp. You might have to do the main quest to get to the other faction areas but I'm unsure of that. Did you try avoiding the quests and level and craft and play the game "more like an elder scrolls game"?

I know it's not very close as there aren't the same amount of ruins, caves, mines, etc but you can get somewhat close.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I would say you are incorrect.

Or, more truthfully, you are absolutely correct based upon how you play.

Quests, levels and loot have been the core of TES games since Arena.

Well, that's great except a good friend of mine has played since morrowind and rarely does quests. In his last few "run throughs" of skyrim he wore no armor, had one decent bow (nothign that amazing) and that was that, he didn't craft, or upgrade to different loot. He liked to sell it though.

He pretty much didn't care about levels. Quite frankly, he's sort of a gaming hero to me in that he doesn't play video games with the exception of the elder scrolls games and plays them more like a "sandbox" (which none of us can agree what is a sandbox. I call the Elder Scrolls games sandboxes and we can argue about that in the sandbox/themepark thread) reads the books likes selling items and exploring and essentially finds something in them that he likes and that he can play "his way.

He's even suggested things like "I wish you had to eat food in these games" (I've told him about mods but he doesn't trust them). If he was an actual gamer he would be a hardcore, permadeath, make your own fun, sandbox player (for the most part).

As far as my elder scrolls gameplay, I do some quests but usually don't do many quests. Don't really care about "loot" and even, in some of my games, will give myself the "loot" to make me look like I want right off the bat and be done with "loot" for the rest of the game.

What I'm getting at is that people play these games differently and approach them differently. I've read of people "beating" the game in a few hours and wondering why people are still playing them years later. At the moment I have 1,192 hours and I believe GeezerGamer (on this site) has double that.

to that point: "op you did this to yourself as you actually don't have to do the quests if you don't want to". 

Some people just level by exploring and killing mobs or grinding and also adding some pvp. You might have to do the main quest to get to the other faction areas but I'm unsure of that. Did you try avoiding the quests and level and craft and play the game "more like an elder scrolls game"?

I know it's not very close as there aren't the same amount of ruins, caves, mines, etc but you can get somewhat close.

Absolutely.

Agreed 100%.

I concur.

BUT

This doesn't suddenly make Morrowind a sandbox. All the things you describe that your friend did are also possible in ESO. You already say this but I'm just driving it home.

No one is forcing you to quest.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I'm new to eso and loving it.

The questing is meh, but the gameplay and freedom of choice in developing your took the way you want is second to no AAA mmo out there right now.

There is no need for me to go back to GW2... Thus game is doing everything that I was hoping for for gw2 and then some.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

HAHA sorry to hear OP,i actually was on the fence for a long time,i came very close to buying it on a whim.

I am in the same boat,i can't stand linear questing and not just because i have done a million quests in my time but because it doesn't even make sense in the plausible realism of a ROLE playing game.

The closest i have ever seen for a quest is the Quest for the Holy grail or the quest to win the Stanley cup,but never have quests in real life taken form as they do in video games.

They are simply there for NO absolute reason other than to aid leveling.That lone says crap game design because the ROLE playing should NOT be about gaining a level number yet that is what these RPG's are forcing you to do.There is another thing,FORCING a linear path is also not a RPG aspect,everything about game design is the anti rpg.Then we add in solo play and they are also the anti MMO,so ya really bad game designs.

Copying other games is the WORST idea a developer can do,every time i see copying it looks bad and has NOTHING to do with the games LORE or purpose.

Examples...Lets create a system that gives you xp for walking into new areas ..LMAO.Then to add insult to injury,lets have linear quests walk you to those new areas with arrows pointing ,sparklies flashing and say "CONGRATS on your new discovery" LMAO.Or how about lets add some jump puzzles,WTF does that have to do with game LORE or reason for it being there?Dumb ideas after dumb ideas just to try encourage players to keep grinding out meaningless tasks.

Bottom line is that developers are too damn CHEAP and lazy to create real meaningful content so they look for ideas that take no effort at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Absolutely.

Agreed 100%.

I concur.

BUT

This doesn't suddenly make Morrowind a sandbox. All the things you describe that your friend did are also possible in ESO. You already say this but I'm just driving it home.

No one is forcing you to quest.

I completely agree that you can do many of those things in ESO. 

However, as for Sandbox? Giving the tools to play the way you want? Well, again, no one can seem to agree what is a sandbox.

To that point, when I was a kid, I used to play in my version of a sandbox (a huge sand circle where an above ground pool used to sit) all the time.

but never really built a thing. To me "the sandbox" was about "something else" and it is this "something else" that I carry with me to the single player Elder Scrolls games. I suspect others do as well.

But I suppose that's a conversation that has been waged on these and other forums ad nauseum.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • deceasedecease Member UncommonPosts: 51
    the fastest way to level is by farm farm creep.. you don't have to do quest if you don't felt like it.. running dungeon also give you decent exp..
  • dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Well, if you are looking for a quest-free, sandbox experience I would suggest you play EVE. No MMO is more of a sandbox nor does any MMO have less quests.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

So I bought ESO at a discount price for 12$. Man am I glad I didn't pay full price.

Fuckin quest after quest after quest. Lord how I hate quests. Run here, get that, do this, do that etc. Why can't I just play? Why do I have to do quests?

I tried Shroud of the Avatar, damn I can't wait till it gets out of alpha. There is quests in it but you don't have to do them, and there are very few of them. You can pick any road you want to follow in that game and progress without doing linear quests.

While over 80% of MMOs have quests, I hope that in the future there will be games where you don't have to quest at all to progress.

Goddam questing bullshit. Now I really learned my lesson with themepark MMOs and it cost me 12$. I was hoping ESO would have stayed in its sandbox roots. I hope I don't make the same mistake of buying another themepark MMO.

The game has only been out for a year + several months and only about 6 months of beta before that.  

How could you possibly have known?  If only there was a website which showed videos..or game reviews and guides.  Surely you can't be faulted for not knowing.

Glad you sold your game.  Hopefully whoever you sold it to will be a good addition to the community.  Better someone who can actually appreciate a quality game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Don't quest OP. it's slow an un needed if you don't like it.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    This thread is hilarious ! image
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

Originally posted by SpottyGekko This thread is hilarious ! 

"Fuckin quest after quest after quest." They sent him on so many quests! The fiends! :)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    How dare ZOS invent questing in MMOs... what next, crafting?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I don't get what he means by the quests. The only ones I have seen are "Kill enemy players".
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    You should play the original Everquest it had hardly any quests that might be right up your alley.
    Chamber of Chains
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

Don't worry bro. At least they learned their lesson and Fallout 4 has no multiplayer crap added to it. Todd Howard was against the TES series ever being multiplayer, but Zenimax pulled their weight. They found out Todd was right.

In Todd we trust.

I just have to get through this summers gaming. Because when Fallout 4 drops i won't be playing any crappy mmo's. The genre is at its lowest and i don't see any up coming game changing that. I hate where game devs have taken this once cool genre.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Was Elder Scrolls Arena or Daggerfall a sandbox? I didnt play those two, and i havent played the first sandbox Elder Scrolls game. Open world and sandbox is not the same thing.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Was Elder Scrolls Arena or Daggerfall a sandbox? I didnt play those two, and i havent played the first sandbox Elder Scrolls game. Open world and sandbox is not the same thing.

There is no agreement what these terms mean among gamers so this is the neverending "argument".

• XundiinXundiin Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

There is no agreement what these terms mean among gamers so this is the neverending "argument".

Though I would agree that the term "sandbox" has as many definitions as "hardcore". But most people don't know what a true sandbox is. They think that an Open Ended RPG (which is what all TES games are labeled as) is a sandbox. And it's not. A true sandbox is a game that doesn't hold your hand, they give no tips on where to go, and they may or may not have quest but then never point you to them. In essence, they give a tutorial on what the controls do and let you pick a direction and go. For an example, I would say SWG (Pre-CU) is more then likely the closest to a true sandbox.