Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - a new detailed letter from the Chairman

123457»

Comments

• SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Erillion

((IF (Sandi Gardiner = wife of Chris Roberts)) AND (IF (the two children in the SC Kickstarter video = children of Chris Roberts))) THEN (Chris Roberts = one lucky bastard)

Have fun

I do find it a bit strange that they seem unwilling to acknowledge any relationship though. Perhaps I'm too old-fashioned, but it must produce some bizarre instances of interaction in the work environment.

Emotional issues from the private lives of couples working at the same company will inevitably affect their interaction at work. Perhaps they prefer that people think they're schizo when their interaction turns a bit icy from time to time, for no apparent reason ?

Before anyone get's over-excited by this, I'm not suggesting that this behaviour is a sign of criminal intent or a justification for a lawsuit !

That´s true. But they don´t scream it out loud because it has nothing to do with the business itself. I don´t care who in which company is allied to whom.

Also Sandi and Chris have been on the project from the beginning and they already were married (if really true as I believe). It would be more of a problem if Sandi came later to the project, then they startet something with each other and then she became Marketing VP. These things can lead to problems regarding working conditions.

Then I could even understand Mr. Smarts point a bit. But not under the actual circumstances.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

((IF (Sandi Gardiner = wife of Chris Roberts)) AND (IF (the two children in the SC Kickstarter video = children of Chris Roberts))) THEN (Chris Roberts = one lucky bastard)

Have fun

I do find it a bit strange that they seem unwilling to acknowledge any relationship though.

CR did it in the Kickstarter video from 2012, neither hiding anything nor boring us with a reality show celebrity home story. DS  makes a lot of noise about nothing, why would anyone care and which company talks about personal relationships? That´s just (to quote CR), bullshit. and may I add I don´t want this soap opera nonsense, although SC is a crowdfunding title, people still have a private life.

I wonder what´s next, does CR prefer boxer shorts or briefs? Keep that crap to a Kardashian reality show and not a professional business. I don´t ask who´s gay at Bioware or which executive at EA had an affair with the hot assistant community manager.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by JonBonJawa

Have fun

I do find it a bit strange that they seem unwilling to acknowledge any relationship though.

CR did it in the Kickstarter video from 2012, neither hiding anything nor boring us with a reality show celebrity home story. DS  makes a lot of noise about nothing, why would anyone care and which company talks about personal relationships? That´s just (to quote CR), bullshit. and may I add I don´t want this soap opera nonsense, although SC is a crowdfunding title, people still have a private life.

I wonder what´s next, does CR prefer boxer shorts or briefs? Keep that crap to a Kardashian reality show and not a professional business. I don´t ask who´s gay at Bioware or which executive at EA had an affair with the hot assistant community manager.

Yeah, I know, the social rules are always changing, new fashions come and go.

Perhaps we'll get to the point where the standard greeting of "Hi, how are you ?" will be considered a gross invasion of privacy...

It all just becomes so hypocritical. Everybody pretends the emperor is wearing clothes, but they all know he's actually naked. Whatever floats your boat.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    [mod edit]
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    [mod edit]

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    Originally posted by SmartySmart
    Originally posted by SmartySmart

Dear Mr. Derek Smart,

are you talking about yourself? Why still hiding behind jcrg99?

A personal opinion:

Derek Smart  is not posting under jcrg99.

Have fun

Sadly he is. He also answers his own twitter feeds and posts to underline his previous statements. He did that in the past in his glorious raging days that are now coming back.

I know him since BC3K. That should be enough time to get to know someone even without knowing him personally.

To limit it to the actual subject. I saw him raging in the RSI forum with several nicknames and after he was banned almost all his alts went silent. It´s much quieter and more civilized now. There may be some alt accounts left but he made so much noise that people start smelling him a mile away.

You can also see his posting patterns thoughout the day. Not even hard to find out.

Even if this still sounds shady for you... make your own mind about him. I can´t tell you to believe him or not. I just want to unmask him.

No he is not. 

This jcrg99 guy is just a hater with one argument: he claims that the ~735,000 backers figure is a big lie. According to him the real backers are maybe 50K. However, they all have multiple accounts using them to buy ships and populate the forums. Hence everything posted on SC's forums, polls included is a lie. The real truth is revealed here on these boards by people like him. 

Agreed, Derek Smart is not jcrg99. Derek can at least form a proper sentence. Also, Derek attacks SC using information that some people might actually be able to get on-board with. jcrg99 attacks SC using fabrication, conspiracy theory and just sounds paranoid. So, in essence, Derek at least uses seemingly logical arguments while jc uses completely illogical arguments that are just so half-baked that he comes off as one of those preachers who stands on the street corner yelling at cars as they drive by. Neither has really provided anything substantial to support their arguments, though. 

Yeah they do talk utter shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD9DxVsF59o

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    jcrg99 attacks SC using fabrication, conspiracy theory and just sounds paranoid.
    Neither has really provided anything substantial to support their arguments, though. 

Really? Are you pretending or what? In any case, let's remedy that... AGAIN:

Roberts says now:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14839-Letter-From-The-Chairman

"Originally we had just planned to share a multiplayer dogfighting alpha and then the beta of the game (which would have just been Squadron 42)"

But in the past was:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description

"20-22 months in they will get to play the STAR CITIZEN Beta, adventuring around the huge OPEN galaxy"

To do not let doubt that he promoted a Star Citizen beta (not a SQ 42 beta) I made sure to put "OPEN" in capital letters (since Roberts defined SQ42 as not an open world experience in his statements/videos). And If you have yet, any doubt of what he promoted originally that was not just Squadron 42, as he tried to say now, check the page above, with the description of the game-as-promised (it was the same description in the RSI website in that time), summarized below:

"Star Citizen brings the visceral action of piloting interstellar craft through combat and exploration to a new generation of gamers at a level of fidelity never before seen. At its coreStar Citizen is a destination, not a one-off story. It's a complete universe where any number of adventures can take place, allowing players to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or enlist as a pilot, protecting the borders from outside threats. Chris Roberts has always wanted to create one cohesive universe that encompasses everything that made Wing Commander and Privateer / Freelancer special. A huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore allowing players to explore or play in whatever capacity they wish. That universe is Star Citizen."

He says now that was planning just beta Squadron 42, but said to people this:

"Can you explain the stretch goals?

The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period"

And with 5.5 million dollars, he said this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/posts/351977

"Six million was what it would take us to build the game we were imagining with all the bells and whistles we wanted included. Well, here we are with just over eight hours to go and that impossible goal where everything is unlocked is suddenly in sight. At six million you'll launch the game with 100 systems, a full orchestral score and a free copy of the first Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines."

And after got 6.2 million dollars he said this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/posts/352301

"The battle is over and we - PC gamers, space sim fans, WingNuts, Lancers and the rest - have won. You've not only met every goal we set, you've exceeded them. Star Citizen will be released because of your dedication and your willingness to put your money where our mouths are. Our gratitude is immeasurable; we owe you our livelihoods and will not soon forget it. "

"The next TWO YEARS are going to be incredible for all involved and we're thoroughly happy that all of you are along for this exciting ride."

He had the money, stretch goals achieved and was promising everything for two years. And if you go the their forums and search for "Release date 2014" or other similar keywords will find some threads that shown how people, the "informed" ones, were been deceived about they hitting the target, much later after the end of the original campaign:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/88146/

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/92550/

He says now: "Will it take longer to deliver all this? Of course! When the scope changes, the amount of time it will take to deliver all the features naturally increases. This is something we are actually aware of. "

But in the past was:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13266-Letter-From-The-Chairman-19-Million

"Finally there is one very important element – the more funds we can raise in the pre-launch phase, the more we can invest in additional content (more ships, characters etc.) and perhaps more importantly we can apply greater number of resources to the various tasks TO ENSURE WE DELIVER THE FULL FUNCTIONALITY SOONER RATHER THAN LATER."

And:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13284-Letter-From-The-Chairman-20-Million

"There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce... WE DON'T COMMIT TO ADDING FEATURES THAT WOULD HOLD UP THE GAME'S ABILITY TO GO "LIVE" IN A FULLY FUNCTIONAL STATE. Also remember that this is not like a typical retail boxed product — there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game.

"

I am pretty sure that you already saw me posting all my information/criticism corroborated with facts.

All the above, when compared with what Chris Roberts said now, is an absolute proof, without possibility of any serious defense, of FALSE ADVERTISING! Besides the own facts that shown that Roberts usually say, whatever, in the hope to get more money. He simply admitted, in the last letter, that lied for years.

The only ones with conspiracy here, its you and your friends. Your conspiracy that Roberts is this "best developer ever" and that he is going to release the BDSSE, etc... all of it, your conspiracy, is not corroborated by facts.

Just televangelist speech, as I proven above, were all lies to get money, and then, later, they move to where the "best" excuse is, regardless if it contradicts a previous sales argument.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by jcrg99
    jcrg99 attacks SC using fabrication, conspiracy theory and just sounds paranoid.
    Neither has really provided anything substantial to support their arguments, though. 

Roberts says now:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14839-Letter-From-The-Chairman

"Originally we had just planned to share a multiplayer dogfighting alpha and then the beta of the game (which would have just been Squadron 42)"

But in the past was:

"20-22 months in they will get to play the STAR CITIZEN Beta, adventuring around the huge OPEN galaxy"

To do not let doubt that he promoted a Star Citizen beta (not a SQ 42 beta) I made sure to put "OPEN" in capital letters (since Roberts defined SQ42 as not an open world experience in his statements/videos). And If you have yet, any doubt of what he promoted originally that was not just Squadron 42, as he tried to say now, check the page above, with the description of the game-as-promised (it was the same description in the RSI website in that time), summarized below:

"Star Citizen brings the visceral action of piloting interstellar craft through combat and exploration to a new generation of gamers at a level of fidelity never before seen. At its coreStar Citizen is a destination, not a one-off story. It's a complete universe where any number of adventures can take place, allowing players to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or enlist as a pilot, protecting the borders from outside threats. Chris Roberts has always wanted to create one cohesive universe that encompasses everything that made Wing Commander and Privateer / Freelancer special. A huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore allowing players to explore or play in whatever capacity they wish. That universe is Star Citizen."

The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period"

"Six million was what it would take us to build the game we were imagining with all the bells and whistles we wanted included. Well, here we are with just over eight hours to go and that impossible goal where everything is unlocked is suddenly in sight. At six million you'll launch the game with 100 systems, a full orchestral score and a free copy of the first Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines."

"The battle is over and we - PC gamers, space sim fans, WingNuts, Lancers and the rest - have won. You've not only met every goal we set, you've exceeded them. Star Citizen will be released because of your dedication and your willingness to put your money where our mouths are. Our gratitude is immeasurable; we owe you our livelihoods and will not soon forget it. "

"The next TWO YEARS are going to be incredible for all involved and we're thoroughly happy that all of you are along for this exciting ride."

He had the money, stretch goals achieved and was promising everything for two years. And if you go the their forums and search for "Release date 2014" or other similar keywords will find some threads that shown how people, the "informed" ones, were been deceived about they hitting the target, much later after the end of the original campaign:

He says now: "Will it take longer to deliver all this? Of course! When the scope changes, the amount of time it will take to deliver all the features naturally increases. This is something we are actually aware of. "

But in the past was:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13266-Letter-From-The-Chairman-19-Million

"Finally there is one very important element – the more funds we can raise in the pre-launch phase, the more we can invest in additional content (more ships, characters etc.) and perhaps more importantly we can apply greater number of resources to the various tasks TO ENSURE WE DELIVER THE FULL FUNCTIONALITY SOONER RATHER THAN LATER."

And:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13284-Letter-From-The-Chairman-20-Million

"There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce... WE DON'T COMMIT TO ADDING FEATURES THAT WOULD HOLD UP THE GAME'S ABILITY TO GO "LIVE" IN A FULLY FUNCTIONAL STATE. Also remember that this is not like a typical retail boxed product — there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game.

"

I am pretty sure that you already saw me posting all my information/criticism corroborated with facts.

All the above, when compared with what Chris Roberts said now, is an absolute proof, without possibility of any serious defense, of FALSE ADVERTISING! Besides the own facts that shown that Roberts usually say, whatever, in the hope to get more money. He simply admitted, in the last letter, that lied for years.

The only ones with conspiracy here, its you and your friends. Your conspiracy that Roberts is this "best developer ever" and that he is going to release the BDSSE, etc... all of it, your conspiracy, is not corroborated by facts.

Just televangelist speech, as I proven above, were all lies to get money, and then, later, they move to where the "best" excuse is, regardless if it contradicts a previous sales argument.

I don't think I've ever once said that. I have stated it's the most ambitious game ever put into development, because it is (name another). I've stated it's possibly the largest game ever taken on (again, I can't think of any other that would be larger). Anyway, I didn't read anything else because I don't need to sit on the street corner and listen to you preach. I've written some long posts in my day, but you've said the same thing over and over again in monstrous, pointless diatribes that actually, to be honest, make little to no sense and are often painful to read. I can't see the future, I can't predict whether or not RSI will succeed or fail, but I can tell you with certainty that the scope of the game, as it stands today, puts a release somewhere closer to 2017. Regardless of what anyone tells you, that's just how it is. Did he lie or was he quoted out of context? Don't know, don't care. Preachers have preached to people for years with zero results, yet they continue to take their money. So what exactly are they providing other than hope? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    So Jcrg99  defeated you with an argument you cant beat and you turned around and accused preachers of been like Roberts  thieves? So you are calling Roberts a thief?

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

this is the best free entertainment one can have. 

But i have some thoughts. 

A: To mr Smart. While i am impressed by your double Phd (even if i should be honest and tell you that i have not looked up in what, but i assume it is relevant fields) ... I am not sure what you are trying to say seeing as you have proven time and time again that you do things with the single intent of rousing the rabble. So why should anyone think that what yu do now is anything but rousing more rabble. In fact this seems to have a specific design to tick people off and get a shit-storm going. But i guess we all get your boat floated some way. Beyond that i applaud you for your skills in playing people. 

B: To the people taking the bait. haysus chill people... You are getting trolled in every way. All you do is drive traffic to Smarts little corner of the web (traffic that can be used in all manners of fun way) and he is not wrong per se.... We need better regulations regarding crowdfunding as the number of vapor ware will rise (mostly out of incompetence but still) and while i think the FTC is about as useful as a *bleeeep* on a pineapple it is also worth nothing that i do not live in the US. If i was a kickstarter or founder i´d like to know that my money did not go to waste... After all i have seen way to many projects bloom out of control due to a restraining agent. 

C: To the rest. How about we have a beach party get-together with drinks, a bonfire and some nice music. And some nice BBQ... Yeah... BBQ is a must. 

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by jcrg99

Roberts says now:

But in the past was:

But in the past was:

And:

"

What about your false advertising regarding your games Mr. Smart? And banning everyone who has a different opinion? Calling them trolls for not trolling but demanding answers to to the status of i.e. Line of Defense? No players, no content, outdated overall...

I've seen so many good but critical posts vanish in the Steam LOD forums. There must be black hole sucking all the negative posts in.

Also is your comment function on your webpage working now?

Don't project your greed for money on other persons  People who follow and know you for some time know exactly how greedy you are.

As said before if you point at others, 3 fingers point back at you... set harm, get harm.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

I have to ask why are these threads still going, after the several dsmart threads all that can be said has been and all that's left is circular arguments and trollbaits, flaming etc etc.

Really mods these should be locked down after 18 pages of the same merry go round, and it's not just this thread either.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Originally posted by tawess

this is the best free entertainment one can have. 

But i have some thoughts. 

A: To mr Smart. While i am impressed by your double Phd (even if i should be honest and tell you that i have not looked up in what, but i assume it is relevant fields) ... I am not sure what you are trying to say seeing as you have proven time and time again that you do things with the single intent of rousing the rabble. So why should anyone think that what yu do now is anything but rousing more rabble. In fact this seems to have a specific design to tick people off and get a shit-storm going. But i guess we all get your boat floated some way. Beyond that i applaud you for your skills in playing people. 

B: To the people taking the bait. haysus chill people... You are getting trolled in every way. All you do is drive traffic to Smarts little corner of the web (traffic that can be used in all manners of fun way) and he is not wrong per se.... We need better regulations regarding crowdfunding as the number of vapor ware will rise (mostly out of incompetence but still) and while i think the FTC is about as useful as a *bleeeep* on a pineapple it is also worth nothing that i do not live in the US. If i was a kickstarter or founder i´d like to know that my money did not go to wa ste... After all i have seen way to many projects bloom out of control due to a restraining agent.  

C: To the rest. How about we have a beach party get-together with drinks, a bonfire and some nice music. And some nice BBQ... Yeah... BBQ is a must. 

Your are right... It's really entertaining :) 

Mr. Smart has no PhD. In the past he said he has ONE PhD but never ever could prove it. People involved in this discussions tried to find his degree or anything that could prove it but nothing could ever be found.

I for myself am not falling for his bait... know him long enough. But since he came back and continued exactly as before he went quiet in the past and started his self promotion and crusade against Chris Roberts, I could not help but do my research and try to inform people who fall for his ranting and think he is right that he is a big douche. Sad that he didn't change at all. 

Have fun with the BBQ :) 

Originally posted by Asm0deus

I have to ask why are these threads still going, after the several dsmart threads all that can be said has been and all that's left is circular arguments and trollbaits, flaming etc etc.

Really mods these should be locked down after 18 pages of the same merry go round, and it's not just this thread either.

+1

if it helps stopping Mr. Smart from poisoning the MMORPG forum

• JasticusJasticus Member CommonPosts: 4

You know, as... amusing as all this was to look through, I felt a little bad so I took a moment to actually make an account and warn a few of you that don't seem to know any better. Yet.

Don't bother getting into an argument with jcrg99. You'll have better luck arguing with a brick wall. Seriously.

Jcrg99 is a known troll that goes by many names, you'll have the best luck looking for the names 'tufao' or 'manzes' on almost any other gaming site. He's well known for making multiple accounts to agree with himself as well. Oh, and this isn't anything recent, we're talking back since 2013, when the game was maybe 6 months to a year old, and he's been trolling ever since.

Apparently he sent some stupid emails and constantly nagged Sandi when she used to be one of the customer service folks as well as marketing, and got his money refunded and account banned. Mr. Smart is just the latest 'cause' he is trumpeting, being his everlasting trollish self.

Most of us who are aware of his shenanigans think he must have some sort of disorder or is paid for it, because there is no reason for anyone to troll for over 2 years for absolutely no reason. It's more of a running joke amongst the SC community now.

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by Jasticus

You know, as... amusing as all this was to look through, I felt a little bad so I took a moment to actually make an account and warn a few of you that don't seem to know any better. Yet.

Don't bother getting into an argument with jcrg99. You'll have better luck arguing with a brick wall. Seriously.

Jcrg99 is a known troll that goes by many names, you'll have the best luck looking for the names 'tufao' or 'manzes' on almost any other gaming site. He's well known for making multiple accounts to agree with himself as well. Oh, and this isn't anything recent, we're talking back since 2013, when the game was maybe 6 months to a year old, and he's been trolling ever since.

Apparently he sent some stupid emails and constantly nagged Sandi when she used to be one of the customer service folks as well as marketing, and got his money refunded and account banned. Mr. Smart is just the latest 'cause' he is trumpeting, being his everlasting trollish self.

Most of us who are aware of his shenanigans think he must have some sort of disorder or is paid for it, because there is no reason for anyone to troll for over 2 years for absolutely no reason. It's more of a running joke amongst the SC community now.

I've seen some of his posts on MassivelyOP. Not 100% convinced this guy is him, but it does make sense. Btw, the majority of people on MassivelyOP don't agree with Derek Smart. Also, I've only seen a couple (out of hundreds) of backers that agree with him on a few points (but seem to not agree overall).

Originally posted by Warley
    Originally posted by Jasticus

I've seen some of his posts on MassivelyOP. Not 100% convinced this guy is him, but it does make sense. Btw, the majority of people on MassivelyOP don't agree with Derek Smart. Also, I've only seen a couple (out of hundreds) of backers that agree with him on a few points (but seem to not agree overall).

Great post, I dont thin k there is even one poster who agrees with Mr Smart 100% (due to personal vendetta, blah, bl;ah whatever) but there are points posted by Mr. Smart that are rational and very well placed. So far SC has sold and keeps selling ships, good grief if he keeps selling ships you will have to make reservation to be able to fly!!!

Other than shinny ships what else has materialized of all the promises. Answer is simple very little. I want  this game to succeed because if this game makes it it will change history of how games are made.

Originally posted by mayito7777

Great post, I dont thin k there is even one poster who agrees with Mr Smart 100% (due to personal vendetta, blah, bl;ah whatever) but there are points posted by Mr. Smart that are rational and very well placed. So far SC has sold and keeps selling ships, good grief if he keeps selling ships you will have to make reservation to be able to fly!!!

Other than shinny ships what else has materialized of all the promises. Answer is simple very little. I want  this game to succeed because if this game makes it it will change history of how games are made.

A lot of people seem to want this game. And that´s what it´s all about.

I hope they can overcome the obstacles, which they seem pretty confident of after watching more and more clips from the RSI site and reading a lot of their technical stuff which is quite detailed for the public in my opinion and by comparing to other crowdfunding or "standard" dev./publ. during their development cyclus. 

This game could be a real gamechanger. Chris Roberts is a passionate dreamer and visionary. He definitely is known for wanting too much and though provoce some pressure on the party. But not because he has bad manners or is an egomaniac (you know who really is one) but because he transforms into a teen dreaming of the future. And he can transfer this very good to space-sim fans (mostly from the old days) due to his personality and past. It´s a good step his brother Erin comes in because he puts the pressure on (yes... not off) Chris. This will maybe speed things up a bit.

"Selling" ships (set that in quotes because of the controversy selling vs. funding and what you get for it) helps for future goals. I´m sure that they need more money than the 65mio. (last stretchhgoal) to finish the game/bring it in a "release" state but I have no knowledge about that so dont´t nail me down on this. But I have no problem with that.

From what I read about "reservations"... when new modules are released the number of players is limited to test server stability etc. Which players will be able to play first depends on the citizen number. The one´s who came first play first. Then more an more players get access.

I could imagine them having 95mio. or more by end of the year depending on their GamesCom presentation and if they can release the coming modules in a play- and testable state in the coming months. If they really impress there could be a lot of new backers.

What I find difficult is what parts of the public think about the amount of money and it´s constant growth. I can very good understand the scepsis as some crowdfunding scams or not fullfilled promises have occured. Over time the crowdfunding rules/regulations/TOS will be (and are already)  tightened and thats a good and necessary thing. Regarding CIG and their handling with the money I haven´t found any reason to really mistrust them yet.

... oh man.... why me write so much...

... shutting brain down...

LOL I am having a brain freeze too. Man I really wish this game makes it all the way through and every single dream of Roberts comes to reality we will be talking anew ERA in gaming reality. The same WoW opened a new path for many to follow SC could be like the discovery of a Stargate that opens our Solar system to the whole galaxy and beyond.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

It's easy to think up a cool game.   The delivering part is quite a lot harder.   I just don't trust Roberts to deliver.  Certainly not on time.  And there are plenty of historical reasons for that view.   Now it's possible that the team he's got may be able to eventually pull it off before they run out of money,  but Roberts the project manager has consistently been a drag on production.   As marketing dude, he's great.   The  Cash-Shop-in-Advance success is pretty unprecedented.  He's selling a fantasy though, and fantasies are perfect.  Me, I'm going to wait til it's released fully functional before jumping in the pool.

And yes, everything I've found out about him says Roberts is an egomaniac.   Just better in public than that other guy.   Of course, Smart sets a really low bar to the 'being better in public' part of that phrase.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• jamaciasjamacias Member Posts: 1

Hey I am not new (almost always lurk), but had to create a new account to post.  Hopefully, I can provide a Marketing business perspective to this game. Lost in all of the weeds in that CIG essentially has proven the market for this type of game.  It's pretty clear to me that kickstart gives you a nice picture of the pre-order market for an idea, this idea is clearly viable from the pre-orders based on almost nothing but an idea.  This alone, is interesting to any CB person, I could probably write a dissertation on this topic alone.

In normal business conditions, this business would need to move faster to ensure their first mover advantage, it doesn't make sense to me that anything is really gained by delaying the product launch, it also speaks to me that this product is a lot harder to produce than promised or it's a scam.  If it was easy to produce, Star Citizen, with it's delays has already provided its competition with all the market analysis you would need to launch a alternative product to sell.  You wouldn't have the built in pre-order operating revenue, but you would have a good chance of capturing a sizeable portion of that market if your substitute good was close to this one.

That tells my guy... that this product is not currently producible (the whole product).  If it was, another entrant would have taken advantage of these schedule delays.  In my mind, that's really bad news for the short term consumer and even worse for consumers who put in the money upfront (all of you), consumers as a group in countless studies generally dislike risk.

In the end, I think this brings up an interesting debate whether consumers have the risk tolerance of an investor for these promised businesses.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

There are alternative products already on the market (e.g. Elite:Dangerous) or will soon be available (e.g. No Mans Sky). There are several more products in development that may have been based on the success of the SC crowdfunding (e.g. Descent Underworld, Rebel Galaxy etc.) and should come to market maybe sooner than the Persistent Universe part of SC.

All of these products have (currently and in the near/medium term  future) a smaller scope than SC, usually focussing on the space flying/fighting aspect of a space sim. Which allows them to have shorter development times than SC. Its more like 2-3 years instead of 4-5 years.

I think the target audience would not mind having several space sim products available. Many have played (and are still playing) Elite:Dangerous and are still looking forward to Star Citizen. Most of them have been waiting for (good !) space sims for the last 15-20 years. Having one  product does not stop you from enjoying the other product too. As long as the industry avoids launching two blockbuster games in the same time window (e.g. X-Mas) where they compete for limited cash resources from the target audience, they should be fine with multiple products.

Have fun

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677

I feel that Star Citizen backers ended up financing experimentation in PC gaming technologies. For me it is a part of the gaming hobby not only to play games but to see how technologies associated with PC games evolve over decades. If I remember correctly, some people originally backed Star Citizen as a game that promotes PC gaming. I hope that experimentation involved in development of Star Citizen will eventually result in a game that backers can enjoy.

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677

As for Derek Smart, I had a chance to play his game Battlecruiser from 1990s and some other sequel released 5-7 years later. At the time I thought it was quite an impressive achievement, despite all bugs and glitches, for one man to make such an unusual and innovative game where you could fly in space and then land on a planet and walk around there, though the Battlecruiser games were sometimes quite challenging to play without frequently consulting a manual. :)

As a PC gaming enthusiast, I give Derek Smart some praise for delving into that specific game genre, just as I give Chris Roberts some praise now for delving into the same game genre with a much bigger budget and a lot more manpower.

I can almost see a famous quote in a new light in the context of looking at this genre on a very general level:

"It's a small step for man (Derek Smart with his Battlecruiser series), big leap for mankind ( Chris Roberts and companies involved in making Star Citizen).

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here