Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge - Not as bad as people think ( not as P2W as people say it is)

Comments

• nondogg13nondogg13 Member UncommonPosts: 41

archeage was cool i enjoyed it in alpha and beta and truly was happy with the game until launch. now i know many games have had bad launches but omg i payed 150 dollars and 1 of the perks was 5 or 7 days early access(very important in this game) and 3 mounths of subscription (priorty access) long story short come time for launch and they don't even have enought servers for the amount of poeple the sold beta and alpha too, even get stuck trying to log on for 3 hours. 3 day past the launch and i still could not log on. gave up on a game that obviously cares about nothing but money.

oh and on a side note i should have seen it coming paying for an alpha/beta on a game that was was allready launched in another country and only needed to be regionalized

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Why do people have this need to sell the game to others?  I mean really, if it's all that and you are happy, play it.  No need to start a campaign to get people to play the game... unless of course it suffers from the same ills as all MMOs... a lack of players... in which case it isn't "all that" after all.

The more you try to sell a game, the less people are inclined to believe it and more likely to try to refute you.

OMG, this car I own... it's the best thing ever... everyone needs to buy one!

OMG, this milk... it's the best thing ever... everyone needs to drink it!

Notice how many things in life get enjoyed without having to resort to a campaign?

Video games would benefit if people would just stop talking about them and actually play them instead.  We don't need Jesus.  We don't need chocolate chip cookies.  We certainly don't need Joe Smuck looking to run for Congress.  Don't be ringing my doorbell to tell me about a video game unless I ask you... because in essence, you are ringing the doorbell and trying to sell us something.

• IdeaboxIdeabox Member CommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by Ideabox

Hi all,

Coming back to the game made me realize how wrong I was that this game was as P2W as both myself and many others seem to claim it is. The more that I play it again the more I realize that it is sub to win. This is something that I do not mind at all. I have collected my gear and I am working my way up the tiers without spending a penny next to my sub. I do admit I bought a donkey in the store :D It looks very CUTE ! 

The game is being held back by people that troll it with the P2W screaming every time they see the game being mentioned. Sadly I am 100% sure that 50% of the people that are saying this actually have not tried the game. Does the game have flaws ? YES of course, but that is somethign every game has. You could argue that lotro is P2W too then as you can get scrolls in the store that gives stats ( I know they also drop in dungeons / Used too.  ) 

The game is one of it's kind and after playing black desert I actually got more of a hunger to play AA even more. For some reason Black desert is an example of how to get bored with a game in a week. (That is my opinion).

As we all know at the moment the MMO industry is just crap next to final fantasy, I think AA is a good game for people to spend some time in until the next big thing. The game has a lot of potential and changes have been done to the game ( also are incoming.) No mmo will be perfect, but I believe that people overreact when it comes to AA. I daily see people on the EU servers starting over or joining the game and getting help on a regular base for dungeons and etc. 

For the people that feel held back to try it, I would say give it a shot. Plenty of nice guilds and people around. Pve is maybe not the main focus of the game but if you want a challange you will find it. It is a good game to spending your time on until the next big thing. 

i am not fanboying the game, but I just feel like the game got a totally wrong image and people have the wrong idea about it.

Best regards,

Me

I am sure you made a new friend in DMKano.

You obviously were not around when the game released. The game as it is now is very different from the game that was ni alpha. Trion/XL destroyed the economy with a cash shop that allowed you to pay to win, period. The more real money you spent the faster you could get EVERYTHING. I don't have any idea how it is now, but the damage was done. They destoryed the economy, they destroyed any reason for crafting. Besides, the p2w and economy crap is only a fraction of the reason people left that game in droves. Hacking and the premature release of so many other things had a play too.

You are right, it certainly had potential. Trion/XL already went down the path of no return of that one. This game is as good today as it will ever get. Sorry but true.

And you can say 50% of the people who don't like it neever tried it all you want, seeing as though it is f2p I think your logic sucks. Just because you and DMKano like it does not negate the fact the majority of people do not. You like something most people don't. If the thought of that ruins your self-esteem or something maybe you need a counselor. There is nothing wrong with you liking this game. There is something wrong with you telling me I should too.

Actually I was around in Alpha and yes I left after the whole archeum tree thing. As you said yourself the more money you spend the faster you get things. Fact for you I have only subbed and have really nice gear :) Because I did something to earn my gear and be very lucky of course. (besides as in every game having a nice guild and meeting nice people in a game can help you alot ! ) 

If it would be really P2W you would not be able to get as good like a paying customer by just playing the game. Secondly I want to state that I do not even know this DMKano. But his name makes him/her sound mysterious :)

I stand by my opinion though that many people that should P2W do not actually try the game. Tell people an apple is blue and a lot of people will tell their friends "did you hear about that new blue apple" ?  This is the case with many people that post about AA. 

Is the game perfect no far from, I wish that things were different.

I also want to address your claim: 

Just because you and DMKano like it does not negate the fact the majority of people do not. You like something most people don't. If the thought of that ruins your self-esteem or something maybe you need a counselor. There is nothing wrong with you liking this game. There is something wrong with you telling me I should too.

Sadly I believe you understand me correctly, which is possible as English is not my first language. 

I have never told you or other people to like it, not even forced people to like it.  Please tell me where I told you that you HAVE to like it. I am just trying to figure out and also pointing out that AA was the little kid being slapped while many other games out there do way worse things and are really P2W and have hacks and etc, and do not get the same bashing like AA. 

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Never fails, someone post anything related to Trion and a bus load of people start hitting up on the haterade.  Even if they are the only company left in the West that is a publisher AND a developer that is still expanding.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is not p2w that bothers me with AA it is the massive amount of hand holding.I also do not want any pvp in my rpg unless it is done REALLY well to which it is not.I can't stand arrows or markers of any kind in my games,if i had my way i would remove all the name tags as well.

I also do not care for linear questing,and questing should NOT be giving random xp,the quest should have a purpose and IF it gives any xp it should be directly related to a purpose,such as some trainer sends you out to learn an AXE skill ok then you might get some xp into axes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IdeaboxIdeabox Member CommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Wizardry

It is not p2w that bothers me with AA it is the massive amount of hand holding.I also do not want any pvp in my rpg unless it is done REALLY well to which it is not.I can't stand arrows or markers of any kind in my games,if i had my way i would remove all the name tags as well.

I also do not care for linear questing,and questing should NOT be giving random xp,the quest should have a purpose and IF it gives any xp it should be directly related to a purpose,such as some trainer sends you out to learn an AXE skill ok then you might get some xp into axes.

I fully agree that the questing is something I very often wonder myself like why am I doing this. Most of the time I do not even know what I did. Regarding the PvP this is indeed something that is based on personal choice. I got my phases were I am looking for pvp but other times I do really miss the good old fashion raids.  :D 

But I do hope to one day have an MMO with the things you say about questing and pvp and that is sandbox. :D

I might have to wait a few 100 years :o

• Anyone saying it's not pay to win, doesn't understand the crafting system, its relationship to the cash shop and to gear progression which means everything in PvP. This game is an ultimate example of pay to win. Anyone who says otherwise is not fully educated on the topic and/or the specifics of the game.

Another thing, and this isn't just directed at the OP...

Just because you don't pay to win within a game, doesn't mean the option isn't there. So sick of the ignorant perspective being spouted "I don't pay to win in this game, even though I could, therefor the game is not pay to win"

Originally posted by Wizardry

You can get a quest from a trainer that sends you out to get ingredients for alchemy from which you learn an alchemy skill.  You can get similar quests from the other professions to learn those professions.  You get a quest to get your first glider and there are quests along the way that will give you parts to upgrade it.  You don't have to do side quests if you don't want to in AA.  If at lvl 15 you want to brave the open waters and go north toward pirate island you can, you might not last too long but you can.

ArcheAge only holds your hand for as long as you wish to have it done.  Here's how I describe it: questing (other than main line quests) in AA is an extended tutorial.  There are quest lines that will lead you to learn upgrading your gear, clipper, and crafting which also includes fishing.  You don't like raids?  You don't have to do them to be successful.  AA can be a role players paradise, there is Tahyang server for RP if you want.  Best thing about AA, if a guildie pisses me off I can knock his virtual ass out on the spot.  I've always wanted to do that in Rift.

• Originally posted by booniedog96

AA can be a role players paradise, there is Tahyang server for RP if you want.  Best thing about AA, if a guildie pisses me off I can knock his virtual ass out on the spot.  I've always wanted to do that in Rift.

Bulshit, you'd have to leave your guild to attack him.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

Not p2w? 

Funny how this guy whips out his credit card and starts winning battles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wG06WAxoR9k

thats regardless of subbing. Subbing is not p2w. But to enter an even fight and then pull out your credit card to become God like.... Come on.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by drakaena
    Never played this game again after Korean Beta 2-3. At that time it was one of the best sandbox MMOs I've ever experienced. Unfortunate to see what it has become - even if predictable. I blame Jake Song.
    My only question wrt AA is has the siege system ever been addressed/fixed?

AA was never a sandbox game, it has some free roaming features mixed in with themepark. Sandbox is Wurm Online and atitd but not AA.

That's not me saying the game is no good because it is.

• Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Never played this game again after Korean Beta 2-3. At that time it was one of the best sandbox MMOs I've ever experienced. Unfortunate to see what it has become - even if predictable. I blame Jake Song.

AA was never a sandbox game, it has some free roaming features mixed in with themepark. Sandbox is Wurm Online and atitd but not AA.

The complete lack of game provided goals for the trade pack system is very much sandbox. No direction provided by the devs, player motivation is only thing steering the car.

Originally posted by Deznts
    Anyone saying it's not pay to win, doesn't understand the crafting system, its relationship to the cash shop and to gear progression which means everything in PvP. This game is an ultimate example of pay to win. Anyone who says otherwise is not fully educated on the topic and/or the specifics of the game.

It can be bypasses via AH/Trade chat.  Let others craft it then buy what looks good for you, then upgrade accordingly.  It's usually cheaper that route anyway.  Making gold in-game is not hard to do either.  I only own 3 8x8 lots which I can earn 1100g with 5k labor on a slow day.  If there is something I want that is not up on the AH, I can count on my guildies with the profession for the task to craft it for a commission.  

Cash shop can give you instant gratification if you choose to go that route but it's not necessary.  I don't have the best gear in game because I'm fine with it.  I'm tired of being too OP after smashing my head over raid nights and I still get a challenge from mobs when I choose to grind instead of mindlessly pressing macros in rotation.  That's why I love AA, I don't have to do the things I hated to do in traditional MMOs like raids and PvP BGs because I'm in control of my progression.

Originally posted by Deasant
    Originally posted by booniedog96

AA can be a role players paradise, there is Tahyang server for RP if you want.  Best thing about AA, if a guildie pisses me off I can knock his virtual ass out on the spot.  I've always wanted to do that in Rift.

Bulshit, you'd have to leave your guild to attack him.

As long as we are out of a safe zone nothing can stop me from purpling up and wail on him.  We used to do that to whoever was driving the boat all crazy.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

The complete lack of game provided goals for the trade pack system is very much sandbox. No direction provided by the devs, player motivation is only thing steering the car.

Again AA is not a sandbox game.

• IsidiusIsidius Member UncommonPosts: 46
    A little too late for this game - that ship has sailed... (no pun intended)
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I quit simply because they refused to admit a lack of player base on most of the servers and wouldnt allow people to transfer or merge servers. I did not want to relevel and regrind all my items back that i earned again so i just stopped there.

Not to mention the Labor system didnt help the matter that it is realy annoying and u need to drink pots to get anything done which require alot of money of constantly grind gold to buy them.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Why do people have this need to sell the game to others?  I mean really, if it's all that and you are happy, play it.  No need to start a campaign to get people to play the game... unless of course it suffers from the same ills as all MMOs... a lack of players... in which case it isn't "all that" after all.

The more you try to sell a game, the less people are inclined to believe it and more likely to try to refute you.

OMG, this car I own... it's the best thing ever... everyone needs to buy one!

OMG, this milk... it's the best thing ever... everyone needs to drink it!

Notice how many things in life get enjoyed without having to resort to a campaign?

Video games would benefit if people would just stop talking about them and actually play them instead.  We don't need Jesus.  We don't need chocolate chip cookies.  We certainly don't need Joe Smuck looking to run for Congress.  Don't be ringing my doorbell to tell me about a video game unless I ask you... because in essence, you are ringing the doorbell and trying to sell us something.

Let me guess, you aren't bothered by the opposite whatsoever? Meaning your fine with every AA thread being derailed by p2w bashing but the occasional/rare thread that has anything positive to say cannot be tolerated? Take a look at EVERY AA thread created on this forum since launch, no matter the topic they all end with the same discussion, p2w! There is no talking game features, updates, theory crafting, just the same topic over and over. I do put some blame on MMORPG.com for allowing this to continue so long. They should have made a sticky "AA p2w" thread and directed the haters to post there. Instead, we have 100's of AA threads all devolving to the same subject by the same haters.

If you look at the majority of the haters complaints, most of them have been resolved MONTHS ago and the picture they paint is no longer an accurate reflection of the current state of the game. They just want everyone to think that nothing has changed since launch but anyone whom is still playing would immediately know that they are full of shit and simply stopped paying attention. The ones whom are not playing and are considering doing so would have no clue.

AA is still the most feature rich, pure MMORPG on the market and I would have never thought that while many would agree with this fact at the same time they abandon the game for petty reasons to play what? Wow clones? Now who is being punished?

• WicasaWicasa Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Good physics, love how others can hop on your mount with you, love all the travel options, wish they would have chose Unreal instead of Crytek though for the graphics engine, and voice acting would be nice... Wish Guild Wars and Warcraft had naval combat! WoW's map has a lot of fatigue water areas between continents they could open up... I just love to jet ski - remember Wave Race Nintendo 64?
  • SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    It's a good game and had a really rough start but I think it is ok now. Just to many haters around.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I thought the farming/trade and gliders/boats were good. Fishing was also well done. World was pleasant and had a certain charm, great how open the world was. Normal pve (mobs/dungeons etc was pretty boring, pvp was just about who spent most money/time. However, charging a sub for core gameplay and having an aggressive f2p cash shop on top of that is outrageous imo.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    The game isn't held back by trolls, its held back by itself. 
  • Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Again AA is not a sandbox game.

What exactly was the point of repeating yourself? 

I proved you wrong, and you offered absolutely nothing new to the argument. What a pointless post.

Did you have another reason you were thinking of sharing?

• Originally posted by booniedog96
    Originally posted by Deznts
    Anyone saying it's not pay to win, doesn't understand the crafting system, its relationship to the cash shop and to gear progression which means everything in PvP. This game is an ultimate example of pay to win. Anyone who says otherwise is not fully educated on the topic and/or the specifics of the game.

It can be bypasses via AH/Trade chat.  Let others craft it then buy what looks good for you, then upgrade accordingly.  It's usually cheaper that route anyway.  Making gold in-game is not hard to do either.  I only own 3 8x8 lots which I can earn 1100g with 5k labor on a slow day.  If there is something I want that is not up on the AH, I can count on my guildies with the profession for the task to craft it for a commission.  

Cash shop can give you instant gratification if you choose to go that route but it's not necessary.  I don't have the best gear in game because I'm fine with it.  I'm tired of being too OP after smashing my head over raid nights and I still get a challenge from mobs when I choose to grind instead of mindlessly pressing macros in rotation.  That's why I love AA, I don't have to do the things I hated to do in traditional MMOs like raids and PvP BGs because I'm in control of my progression.

Just because YOU don't pay to win, doesn't change a thing! How do people lie to themselves about this? 

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

One of the ways that Archeage totally failed to capitalize on the Chinese pay-to-win model is that they didn't offer enough rewards for actually winning.  Their shop and the mechanics had almost everything from R2Games' presentation (http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016417/-100-000-Whales-An) about paying to win (insane RNG for crafting, strict labor point system, charging for a sub AND a cash shop with lots of advantages in it, random box mounts, etc), but they didn't offer significant rewards for actually DOING it.  R2's presentation says you're supposed to post leaderboards everywhere and also give big rewards for those that are #1 in arena, etc, and Archeage just... doesn't.

The lack of P2W whales in Archeage compared to F2P browser games is likely in part caused by this. Despite that, most AA servers have a P2W whale or three anyways.  Cause for some whales and fortunately for Trion, all that really matters is the win, reward or not.