Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 forced update you like it or not.

Comments

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Would Microsoft really be so stupid as to force driver updates on people for reasons having nothing to do with security?  One blogger says yes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

In case you don't want to read the whole article, Windows Update tries to update Nvidia drivers and Nvidia software also tries to update Nvidia drivers.  They disagree on which driver version is newer and constantly fight over which driver should be installed, making the whole thing not work.

Now, Windows 10 is still in beta.  But it's also two days away from launch.

Lol sky is falling... :D

You can turn off the driver install auto update part in the options :D It is just not really shown to people lool. And who uses home windows anyhow? Only non pc sav types that need auto updates :D

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Well no go for me then with constant spying in windows 10 it's worse then i thought.

Damn no DX12:(

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/16/windows_10_will_update_whether_you_like_it_or_not_unless_you_have_enterprise_edition/

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=400963

Thar CPU in your build has "spy stuff" in it....

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Would Microsoft really be so stupid as to force driver updates on people for reasons having nothing to do with security?  One blogger says yes:http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/In case you don't want to read the whole article, Windows Update tries to update Nvidia drivers and Nvidia software also tries to update Nvidia drivers.  They disagree on which driver version is newer and constantly fight over which driver should be installed, making the whole thing not work.Now, Windows 10 is still in beta.  But it's also two days away from launch.

Not saying this is good or bad or reason to buy another layer of tin foil or not; I read that article this morning, and I had to take it with a bit of salt.

#1 - I hate Geforce experience, so I may be biased
    #2 - it's only broken ~if~ they disagree
    #3 - GeForce Experience is a third party program, MS is under no obligation to make it work with their Update system
    #4 - Windows Update, in the past, has only distributed WHQL-certified drivers
    #5 - "But what about my beta/pre-release driver?" -- I don't know, but the software isn't released yet so I'm not worried about it.

Either Windows will fix itself, or Geforce Experience will fix itself, or something - it'll get worked out one way or another.

That article may as well be about Quicken or Doom or any other software that may have an incompatibility problem with Windows 10 -- it's going to happen, it'll get sorted out -- that's what early adopters sign up for and the reason late adopters adopt late. I am totally not worried about it.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

From comments, it looks like you can opt-out of automatic driver updates in Windows 10.

The point of drivers is to make hardware work.  If you have a driver that works with your hardware exactly the way you want it, there's nothing to be gained by updating the drivers.  All that the new drivers can do is either work the same as the old drivers or else break things.  Pushing automatic driver update is thus a really bad idea.

On that basis, I skip most video driver updates.  Obviously, if I'm having problems that I suspect may be due to an old driver, I update.  I update drivers for newer cards frequently, too.  But once a card is a few years old and drivers are mature, there's no need to grab every single driver that comes along.

Now, I do like the plug-and-play initial driver installation for most hardware; I don't want to go back to the days of having to get a floppy to install the drivers for every piece of new hardware you get.  But later updates should be at the option of the end user.

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I have no idea if this is a legit idea or not,i have yet to d/l the update.Paranoia...ridiculous are not proper terms to use because any intelligent person SHOULD question anything they see as being FREE.

I think it would take a full year before we know the answer to this  so called free software.

Microsoft is in the business of making money,so there is 100% a catch behind this FREE moniker,weather that is fair good or bad we won't know just yet.

The voice of reason has entered. I will be watching from the sidelines too when the inevitable shit storm is going to rain down on this ill-conceived update and OS.

The amount of people that will have issues with their installed software and hardware will be staggering. If anyone thinks Microsoft, a company that has proven to be inept in every possible way when it comes to Software and Hardware, can pull off this move then they need to get their head checked out. I wait at least 6 months before even considering an update.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • kuyanofdakuyanofda Member UncommonPosts: 52

heres your problem, if a billion computers update to windows 10, even if .5% of the computers have a problem thats 5million problems that are going to be your "major shitstorm" those ppl complaining will be front and center, because like everything we see, when something works fine, we dont hear much about it, we only hear the negative voices because they are ohh so loud.  right? we've seen this everywhere in history, and expecially true on the interwebs.  

wheres the voices that are saying maybe the multi multi multi billion dollar company created something they want everyone to have, regardless of your status. you cant afford it, this could be microsofts ability to flex its muscle and just give everyone windows 10 for free, regardless of your questionable stares, and assume there is some kick.  maybe this time, they are just giving it away that simple.  they know the product they have is worth everyone using it. EVERYONE

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Paranoid people, is all I can say. MS is giving this update free for a year to try and SAVE money. If they only have to write updates for one platform , then it saves MS money and large amounts of money.

If you do not take the upgrade now, then decide a year from now you want it, then it will cost you. Plain facts.

As far as the NVidia problem, it sounds like an NVidia problem not an MS problem. MS is trying to update to the WHQL driver and NVidia wants their latest and greatest (which may not be WHQL).

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by botrytis

Paranoid people, is all I can say. MS is giving this update free for a year to try and SAVE money. If they only have to write updates for one platform , then it saves MS money and large amounts of money.

If you do not take the upgrade now, then decide a year from now you want it, then it will cost you. Plain facts.

As far as the NVidia problem, it sounds like an NVidia problem not an MS problem. MS is trying to update to the WHQL driver and NVidia wants their latest and greatest (which may not be WHQL).

Not only save money but continue to make money.

As it stands MS has a serious Android problem; Android powers the majority of tablets - and before anyone says a tablet is not a PC try thinking of them as a bunch of components with a screen. If mass manufacturers stop selling PCs with Windows pre-installed ...... 

And come to think about it I wonder if there is a thread about the uber serious Android security flaw; huge problem since older versions don't have auto-update. 

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    I thought a bit abiut this. I think most people are stupid and will always blame others for the behavior that cause pc issues. These stupid people will always blame and rant about how bad the product is, not realize that their behavior created an issue that contributed to the issue.
    Forced updates solves a few of the issues the stupid people will have. Closing security holes and fixing bugs should be forced by this point. I understand the issues enterprise users will have, but this is a better option than never updating.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by MrSnuffles
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I have no idea if this is a legit idea or not,i have yet to d/l the update.Paranoia...ridiculous are not proper terms to use because any intelligent person SHOULD question anything they see as being FREE.

I think it would take a full year before we know the answer to this  so called free software.

Microsoft is in the business of making money,so there is 100% a catch behind this FREE moniker,weather that is fair good or bad we won't know just yet.

The voice of reason has entered. I will be watching from the sidelines too when the inevitable shit storm is going to rain down on this ill-conceived update and OS.

The amount of people that will have issues with their installed software and hardware will be staggering. If anyone thinks Microsoft, a company that has proven to be inept in every possible way when it comes to Software and Hardware, can pull off this move then they need to get their head checked out. I wait at least 6 months before even considering an update.

I like the sound of Windows 10, but, i think i'll be waiting to see what happens too, Windows 7 currently does everything i want from an OS, so i'd be crazy to stop using it until i am absolutely sure that its the right thing to do, especially as initial teething problems with Win 10 are practically inevitable, 6 months from now we should all have a much better idea of how Win 10 is doing, and what we are going to be letting ourselves in for if we do decide to use it. image

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I have a system that is going to run the update to Windows 10 ASAP.  I plan on making a educated decision on things, and not listen to some blowhard somewhere that may not even know his ass from a hole in the ground. If it doesn't work, I'll format and reinstall.  

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by eye_m
    I have a system that is going to run the update to Windows 10 ASAP.  I plan on making a educated decision on things, and not listen to some blowhard somewhere that may not even know his ass from a hole in the ground. If it doesn't work, I'll format and reinstall.  

I have been beta testing it since somewhere late 2014. Its got its bugs and quirks. If you want a smooth OS I would keep using what you got for a few more months. Things have gotten a lot more stable but there are things that still tick me off lol. Over all, its now benchmarking faster then windows 8.1, that till now was the fastest OS MS made. So there is that. Some software does not work here and there but I would say its less then 5% of what I have tried to install was not supported. If you dont mind a few bugs its worth it now, if not I would wait 2-3 months. 

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263

So today is the day, they should send new notifications in phases. Altho when i made update today my windows 10 notification went away. Not sure if its a bug or how they going to handle this.

Altho i never was excited about windows. Never was in the hype train, but now its different! its free! and ofc direct x12

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Security can go to hell, I want performance.

Forced update is a joke really, I want to be the judge what crap they are installing on my PC.

Unless my games will run considerably better I'm NOT going to replace my Windows 7 64bit.

(So far I don't give a damn about dx12.)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by gervaise1

As it stands MS has a serious Android problem; Android powers the majority of tablets - and before anyone says a tablet is not a PC try thinking of them as a bunch of components with a screen. If mass manufacturers stop selling PCs with Windows pre-installed ...... 

And come to think about it I wonder if there is a thread about the uber serious Android security flaw; huge problem since older versions don't have auto-update. 

Wait why would laptop/desktop manufacturers stop selling them with Windows pre-installed? What's the alternative? Android??? Android doesn't work for laptops/desktops, it's like using a blackberry from 2005 lol. Are you really saying that my new laptop can come with Android pre-installed lol? Android is mostly confined to mobile phones and tablets. Ooh and that abomination chromebook. 

I guess the more serious problem is that people are using mobile phones and tablets more and more and their laptop/desktop usage drops. I know quite a few people who no longer have a personal laptop. OBviously they use a laptop at work but that's a work laptop. A lot of people use their personal computers for browsing, social media, skype etc. THose people don't even need a laptop... That's a much more serious threat to Windows considering that MS only have a 3% market share in the mobile industry.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Draftbeer

Forced update is a joke really, I want to be the judge what crap they are installing on my PC.

Unless my games will run considerably better I'm NOT going to replace my Windows 7 64bit.

You want performance but you are not running the fastest and lightest windows? Windows 8.1 is faster and lighter than Windows 7 and Windows 10 apparently performs better than 7/

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by fivoroth

You want performance but you are not running the fastest and lightest windows? Windows 8.1 is faster and lighter than Windows 7 and Windows 10 apparently performs better than 7/

There are 'tests' that can prove both are faster than the other, and considering the differences are marginal at best, its not really something affects MMO's in any case. image

Sorry but I call BS on that.

I'm not interested in tests from external sources -

only test I accept is done by me personally.

With my settings and using my hardware enviroment

not only Windows 7 performs better but also its a lot more stable.

The performane difference is very very slight tho (few %).

Not even going to start the compatibility with 'older games' topic.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Wait why would laptop/desktop manufacturers stop selling them with Windows pre-installed? What's the alternative? Android??? Android doesn't work for laptops/desktops, it's like using a blackberry from 2005 lol. Are you really saying that my new laptop can come with Android pre-installed lol? Android is mostly confined to mobile phones and tablets. Ooh and that abomination chromebook. 

I guess the more serious problem is that people are using mobile phones and tablets more and more and their laptop/desktop usage drops. I know quite a few people who no longer have a personal laptop. OBviously they use a laptop at work but that's a work laptop. A lot of people use their personal computers for browsing, social media, skype etc. THose people don't even need a laptop... That's a much more serious threat to Windows considering that MS only have a 3% market share in the mobile industry.

You have nearly answered your own question when you talked about people using mobile phones and tablets. Interesting aside: Windows 10 (flawless upgrade in my case) is geared up to hook your mobile phone into a monitor / mouse combo.

Back to your question though: a PC is simply a "bundle of bits"; as is a laptop, a tablet and a phone. TVs as well these days the way things are going. Saying Android won't work on laptops is the wrong way of looking at things. Take a large tablet - 12 inch maybe - hook it up to a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you have ..... a laptop that runs Android. Chromebooks run Android as well for that matter. And components continue to get faster / smaller / more efficient next year, the year after etc.

Business is all about (trying) to stay current / stay ahead / predicting the future. Microsoft missed the boat when it came to tablets. Why would manufacturers drop Windows? There is a cost to them to pre-install it; this is how MS currently nakes most of its money from Windows. Pre-installed copies. If Android is cheaper - and people are familiar with it, can see that it works because they use it on their phones and tablets - then moving to the cheaper "component" will be an option. Think Intel vs. AMD.

There is also the other prize that MS is hoping to snag as well: the search engine. And all the advertising dollars. 

Originally posted by NightHaveN

You should and all of it. For 3D frame performance, some reviewers have favor Win 7, others Win 8.1, but the difference is marginal. A frame or two is not going to make miracles. But the other enhancements made internally to Windows 8 and later like the fast boot plus paired with ssd for nearly instant tablet/phone like startup times make them better. And security... You should in a world that is moving toward micro transactions, and online purchases. Sadly you sound like the kind of girl that doesnt care for car maintenance until car is broken.

You sounds like a salesman.

Thanks, but I will use what I like and it won't have to be the newest thing by all means.

(Looking at you early version of Windows Vista.)

Also 'car maintenance' is a very bad comparsion, using an older but very stable software

won't make your PC broken - a new 'untested' update more likely to mess things up imo.

• kuyanofdakuyanofda Member UncommonPosts: 52

no really.. this guy just said the only tests he believes are the ones he does himself.

thats nasty bad.  embarrassingly so.

holy shit.

Originally posted by kuyanofda

no really.. this guy just said the only tests he believes are the ones he does himself.

thats nasty bad.  embarrassingly so.

holy shit.

The most accurate results are made by using your hardware and software enviroment.

You can't possibly deny that.

Originally posted by NightHaveN

You should and all of it. For 3D frame performance, some reviewers have favor Win 7, others Win 8.1, but the difference is marginal. A frame or two is not going to make miracles. But the other enhancements made internally to Windows 8 and later like the fast boot plus paired with ssd for nearly instant tablet/phone like startup times make them better. And security... You should in a world that is moving toward micro transactions, and online purchases. Sadly you sound like the kind of girl that doesnt care for car maintenance until car is broken.

You sounds like a salesman.

Thanks, but I will use what I like and it won't have to be the newest thing by all means.

(Looking at you early version of Windows Vista.)

What history tell you about Windows... One release is a flop, the other a success. Rinse and repeat. Win8 already failed the market the same way Vista and WinME did before them. Windows 10 is going to shine, as slow as 7 did because people didnt want to let go XP at that time, like people didn't want to let go 98.

True.

I really hope that this is the case.

Then again, best possible action to me is just to wait few months,

check some reviews, maybe do some self-testing and see how

it is really performing.

• corvascorvas Member UncommonPosts: 151

Auto update, nothing wrong about that .... unless .... is there some small print that says Genisys instead of Windows 10 somewhere ... image

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Phry

There are 'tests' that can prove both are faster than the other, and considering the differences are marginal at best, its not really something affects MMO's in any case. image

Its a fact, Windows 8.1 was MS fastest OS and if all your cared about was better benchmark speeds and higher FPS that was the OS you needed to use. Windows 10 trumps that and after the last patch its given me an extra 20 FPS in the games I am playing. So no, its not a small thing. Mind you like I keep saying, Windows 10 still has its bugs as all new OS have. If you can live with that, its the best option for gaming right now!