Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why no Game of Thrones mmorpg?

JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177

We have LoTR online after the success it was the movies and books, now GoT is also very popular, so the question is, why no AAA Game of Thrones mmo?

it seems there was some browser based game about to come out but it seems dead, what happend with that as well?

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

There is something  on XBox  that I downloaded for free.  Its sort of like a Bioware game with voice acting and decision trees during conversations that you must react quickly too.  First impression is that it makes a good storyline game as most of it seems to be dialogue during cutscenes.

But it holds the theme of the series well IMO.  I just haven't been able to sort out the combat yet as it gives very little ingame info on what to do.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Most of the intrigue and story is in the politics of GoT, so unless you plan on playing Tyrian Lannister or some other prominent figure you're basically  a grunt, doing not very much since most of the armed conflict is over fairly quickly.

It's a great story  and setting but it's not really suitable for a MMO, we can't all be Tyrion or Jon Snow. Now a single player game.... that's another thing entirely.

• JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

It's a great story  and setting but it's not really suitable for a MMO, we can't all be Tyrion or Jon Snow. Now a single player game.... that's another thing entirely.

Wasn't LoTR suitable for an mmo? i never played it but i'm pretty sure it was a popular game

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Joriel
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Wasn't LoTR suitable for an mmo? i never played it but i'm pretty sure it was a popular game

LoTRO's a relatively successful MMO as far as I know. But the IP also lends itself better to an MMO setting.

Compared to GoT it's very low drama, and it's basically about a bunch of guys traveling together and fighting evil while they are on a quest to destroy an evil artifact.

GoT is as much about the politics as it is about fighting (probably more about the politics than the action in fact).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/game-of-thrones-episode-one---iron-from-ice

Honestly I agree,  I just can't picture thousands of Tyrion Lannisters running around annihilating everything.

Or even one Joffrey.  

Maybe you could shed some light on how you would create this game.  The show is complex enough.  How you would translate it to an MMO, I would like to know?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

http://crowfall.com/#/  is supposed to be like GoT to some level but that will be in another year or so.

• JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Maybe you could shed some light on how you would create this game.  The show is complex enough.  How you would translate it to an MMO, I would like to know?

Well basicly it would have to be set like 100~300 years before the books/TV show

First you would choose a House ("faction") , Starks, Lannisters, Targaryens maybe the Wildlings also (or they could just be NPC) etc etc.

The nights watch would be the games jail system (like in Archeage) but slightly diferent, you would be released after you served your time. you would have to do the same thing as in the TV show, raiding north of the wall, defending it, etc.

You could have your guild and dispute Lordship for Winterfell, The Eyrie, Casterly Rock, etc etc.

But the big and main prize of course would be getting your faction specially your guild conquering King's Landing and the Iron Throne. 

of course to be a successfull game it would have to have more, but this would just be the base pillars.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

There is a reason these never work.

Example:  Releasing a big budget Harry Potter MMO 10-12 years ago would have been a brilliant move, releasing one now when so much of the hype is gone?  A financial disaster. 

An IP driven MMO needs to strike when the IP is hottest, but it takes 5 years to make a AAA MMO and usually people only start considering it after the IP has hit it's high water mark.

Also if you haven't noticed there are no big budget Western MMOs in development.  Investors have realized that every would be WoW-killer in the the last 10 years has failed horribly and if you can't guarantee WoW numbers then there are better things they could be investing their hundreds of millions in.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,634

My opinion here...

GoT has such a rich lore that any company trying to make a quick buck on mmos would totally ruin it with the common generic mmo grindfest and boring fetch quests.

I rather have a really solid and indepth single player game. Im pretending the GoT RPG game, and the telltale GoT dont exist.

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    If a GoT MMO was to be made, it will need to be set during a timeline before the TV series, like SWTOR.  Any MMO that tried filling a series timeline turned out less than adequate, Defiance for instance.
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    They have a game from Telltale Games, and it plays like The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us (both also Telltale titles). As far as mmos go, though, I haven't heard anything. You would think it would be ripe pickings, on the scale of WoW because of its popularity if the game was done correctly.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

GoT would not make a very good MMORPG.  It would make a good single player game with a deep story such as Witcher 3, but as an MMORPG I think it would fall short.

MMORPG's progress characters by having them kill things.  What is there to kill?  It's just the white walkers who are south of the wall in Westeros.  On other continents it doesn't really make much sense to have your character slaughtering their way through any other group of people.

GoT is much more of a political story than a physical combat story.  LoTR on the other hand is a world that's absolutely packed with monsters of various kinds for the player to roam around and kill.  There are a lot of bad guys in Middle Earth.  In the GoT universe, most of the "bad guys" are really just a bunch of assholes all trying to take the throne.

I mean, I guess you could make some sort of multi faction PVP based game similar to Dark Age of Camelot, but even that wouldn't make much sense as all of the factions in Westeros and elsewhere all take their turns trying to capture the throne, but none of it happens simultaneously.  The wars all take place years apart.

I just don't see any way to make a world that's mostly built on political intrigue, and light on monsters, fun as an MMORPG.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

LOTR worked because LOTR is the foundation by which all fantasy games have been built. So yeah.

GoT wouldn't work because it has very little to do with fantasy or combat, it's basically a soap opera with different outfits. May as well play a House of Cards MMO.

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Originally posted by Joriel

We have LoTR online after the success it was the movies and books, now GoT is also very popular, so the question is, why no AAA Game of Thrones mmo?

it seems there was some browser based game about to come out but it seems dead, what happend with that as well?

There is a very popular browser, android, apple, type game called Game of Thrones Ascent.  My wife plays it a lot and loves it.  It is not my cup of tea but for what it is it is not bad, http://games.disruptorbeam.com/gamethrones/

Z.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Joriel said:

Joriel said:

Game of throned would need to be a total war title  otherwise it would end up as yet another wow clone
  • CommoXCommoX Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I don't see why they couldn't do a GoT MMO the way LOTRO was done. The characters were all in the game, they were doing the things they did via the books and we as players were just others in the world combating pretty much everything else.

I miss being just another person in the world. Tired of MMOs making me out to be Hero #5463. I want to be just a soldier, just a crafter, just whatever. Not General Lord Master Savior of the Alliance whose title gets reset every expansion because all the things I just did didn't really happen because we went back in time.
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Factional pvpve. The lore is thick enough in GoT, also, there is enough combat features. I think lotr is actually a fair comparison.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,237
    Why no Game of Thrones MMO? Because most players would rage quit after being subjected to their first red wedding. Game of Thrones works because we are watching others subjected to the politics, subterfuge, revenge and villainy. Most gamers do not want to ever be on the receiving end of that. 

So a GoT MMO would either not deliver on what we enjoy about GoT or it would deliver that exact experience and be called a griefer paradise. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG - - RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? --
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,973
    edited November 2015
    Steam has two or three Game of Thrones RPG's.  One by Cyanide Studios, you're a member of the Night's Watch, you have the ability to posses your pet dog.  So you become the dog to do some of the content.  Could have been better but not a bad game.

Either LotR or AoC, you could be a knight, assassin, priest, or some of the possessed from beyond the north wall.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    So that's what Game of Thrones is!  A soap opera with the occasional melee thrown in.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    spikers14 said:
    Factional pvpve. The lore is thick enough in GoT, also, there is enough combat features. I think lotr is actually a fair comparison.

I agree.  GoT would work just as well, maybe better, than the other IPs already used by big budget MMOs.  The primary problem is that the time to start working on a GoT MMO was 5 to 7 years ago.  If you start now you basically risking everything on GoT being just as popular as it is now when you finish the game 5 years in the future.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member UncommonPosts: 341
    Game of Thrones game ala Darkfall style.. Would be amazing and actually extremely fitting.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    The only thing that distinguishes from other low fantasy mmorpgs is story. It's not worth the millions of investment to investors.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    The only thing this thread has proven is the total lack of imagination and willingness to play something different in this genre.

@Joriel gave a great example of how you could make the game work. Crowfall is basically trying to simulate a game of thrones type of world without all the preexisting lore and politics.

There are many ways a GoT MMO would work. The problem is people are too stuck on stupid to think outside of the box.

• kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    To reply to some of the people in this thread,
    The game you are looking for is called "Crusader Kings 2" and the mod is called "A Game of Thrones".
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot

A Total War type game would completely miss the mark by a mile.