Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Derek Smart's 'New' List of Demands

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Derek's like the  kid in the playground that just got his ass kicked and is crying how he's going to get them back.  All bark and no bite.  And no I didn't read past the first paragraph because he's clearly losing his mind due to jealousy.
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Wow... read the blog post he linked and it reads like a sad little kid pouting.

It all boils down to "I did that too!" "Mine was bigger!" and "Mine is better!".

Sadly what I believe is really the problem is people are going "Yay! Star Citizen!" and "Line of What?"

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

LOL! you girls are funny.

btw, here is Kotaku's write-up - which pretty much says what I've been saying about the project since July

Enjoy!

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by dsmart

LOL! you girls are funny.

btw, here is Kotaku's write-up - which pretty much says what I've been saying about the project since July

Enjoy!

It doesn´t say at all what you´ve been saying.

Their tone is not aggressive and what they say... what surprise... is nothing new.

They talk about it as if it´s a game in development and that some things are still not polished or completely worked out. If it will be a complete game that´s fun? They don´t know. And we don´t know.

They are critical but do not behave as if it´s going to crash... but well it´s Kotaku you know. Fit´s more your style than Destructoid.

Critizism is welcome @CIG... that´s my personal experience since your return and my examination of SC. And they listen to their backers. Please do not let me do the research for you.

What do you do in the Steam LoD forum? How do you treat potential customers? We´ve seen it. Oh I forgot... LoD is only for your special niche players.

• DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Derek's like the  kid in the playground that just got his ass kicked and is crying how he's going to get them back.  All bark and no bite.  And no I didn't read past the first paragraph because he's clearly losing his mind due to jealousy.

LoL I have to agree...

D. Smart makes shitty games and he needs the attention to sell them, he also needs to say that so he can gain rep just in case shit happens to StarCitizen.

What I found funny and suspecting is how every gaming news website jumped on the boat on this topic and all were just a mirror of each article.. has rageholic shown it in his videoseries about videogame journalism, is that this "reporting" is run like a mafia network of bias and conflicting connections. So they can keep it relevant.. has we seen D. Smart has his friends here and in many places..

I find repulsing how he bluntly says he represents the playerbase and what this and that.. I for one will boycott all his  games.. KS and crowdfunding is risky has hell, people are allowed to take the money and run away, it's all about reputation and weighting the risks.

People must start seeing how KS was meant to be, more like donating to charity and getting some baked cookies rather than a financial investment.

Bad game devs have always meltdowns.. good devs stay cool under every circumstance, now compared D. Smart and Christ Roberts on this situation xD

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
    Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
    16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
    SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
    Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

(Derek Smart) "He started it !"  (He = Chris Roberts)

I have to share this gem from the comments section of the "Interstellar Raiders" blog before Derek Smart deletes it, just like he already announced.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/08/interstellar-raiders/

Have fun

From the user Stax: August 7, 2015

"This is like two children fighting. Chris Roberts takes the high ground and is the better man while you, Derek Smart, are kicking and screaming on the ground. You’re embarassing youself sir. Give it a rest, what was impossible 10 years ago can be very much possible today. Do you not understand how progression of technology and computer sciences work?"

DSMart: August 7, 2015

"Your comment was approved for the sheer idiocy contained within. If you actually read the article I was responding to, you wouldn’t have missed the “high ground” you speak of."

From the user Bob, August 7, 2015

"i can not say that i like the tone of this post, but thats just me.

(thx for editing it, much better now)

im playing line of defence thx to a free code from you and
    also backed star citizen.

i mean you are building a dynamic battlefield with ground/space combat and fighter jets
    CR on the other hands a combat space sim with trading.
    For me its just not something to compare to each other,

Even after reading the blog posts, i just dont get why you two fight.
    Is this a thing from the past that boils up?
    Did you guys ever set down to tea and been like
    “i cant stand that guy”?
    Or maybe its because star citizen is made in the “steve jobs” way of things,
    and everybody screams i want it? (the iphone of crowdfunding if you want)"

He started it. All I did was write a blog to ask where the money was going, why the scope creep, and where was the game. It went downhill from there.

The thing that most people are not paying attention to, is the thing that I took quite a bit of time outlining in my first blog: The game he pitched back in 2012, was totally possible. But once the money started rolling in, he got greedy. It’s now $85m from three years ago, the project is four years in, and at their monthly burn rate (which was 500+ people at one point) they now have less funds to build a much bigger game, in a shorter span of time. That’s the problem."

From the user Jerry, August 7, 2015

"Did… did you really just respond with “he started it”? This is the most childish thing I’ve seen in this stupid dispute so far."

"Yes, I did. If you lack a sense of humor, then I don’t expect you to “get” it. Not everything needs a smiley.

ps: You fools writing nonsense in my comments section, you do realize by now that you’re wasting your time right, and that they are held in a mod queue and just get deleted?"

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Erillion

(Derek Smart) "He started it !"  (He = Chris Roberts)

I have to share this gem from the comments section of the "Interstellar Raiders" blog before Derek Smart deletes it, just like he already announced.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/08/interstellar-raiders/

Have fun

From the user Stax: August 7, 2015

"This is like two children fighting. Chris Roberts takes the high ground and is the better man while you, Derek Smart, are kicking and screaming on the ground. You’re embarassing youself sir. Give it a rest, what was impossible 10 years ago can be very much possible today. Do you not understand how progression of technology and computer sciences work?"

"Your comment was approved for the sheer idiocy contained within. If you actually read the article I was responding to, you wouldn’t have missed the “high ground” you speak of."

From the user Bob, August 7, 2015

"i can not say that i like the tone of this post, but thats just me.

(thx for editing it, much better now)

im playing line of defence thx to a free code from you and
    also backed star citizen.

i mean you are building a dynamic battlefield with ground/space combat and fighter jets
    CR on the other hands a combat space sim with trading.
    For me its just not something to compare to each other,

Even after reading the blog posts, i just dont get why you two fight.
    Is this a thing from the past that boils up?
    Did you guys ever set down to tea and been like
    “i cant stand that guy”?
    Or maybe its because star citizen is made in the “steve jobs” way of things,
    and everybody screams i want it? (the iphone of crowdfunding if you want)"

He started it. All I did was write a blog to ask where the money was going, why the scope creep, and where was the game. It went downhill from there.

The thing that most people are not paying attention to, is the thing that I took quite a bit of time outlining in my first blog: The game he pitched back in 2012, was totally possible. But once the money started rolling in, he got greedy. It’s now $85m from three years ago, the project is four years in, and at their monthly burn rate (which was 500+ people at one point) they now have less funds to build a much bigger game, in a shorter span of time. That’s the problem."

From the user Jerry, August 7, 2015

"Did… did you really just respond with “he started it”? This is the most childish thing I’ve seen in this stupid dispute so far."

ps: You fools writing nonsense in my comments section, you do realize by now that you’re wasting your time right, and that they are held in a mod queue and just get deleted?"

At this point, I am pretty sure there is some disease involved with this guy...

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    bump non spam
    Originally posted by Azoth

At this point, I am pretty sure there is some disease involved with this guy...

That´s the point.

I can understand why people support him in the first place. He has, or better, he had some valid points. But it´s not as if these concerns haven´t been there already. Informed people were and are aware of the critical parts in SC. And I suggest that a lot of people have different worries. 

For me it´s undeniable that Mr. Smart, as long as I can think of him (since the late 90s), jumped on every train that would support his claims, boosts his ego, let him stand in the spotlight and others look bad. Bad mindset.

In the end he is a player who repeats the ever-same and never-changing phrases. All talk and no action.

But he needs this. It fuels him. It´s his game (in his mind).

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    This guy (DS) is just a troll, he doesnt deserve this much attention, one shouldnt feed the troll.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Not according to these metrics

http://imgur.com/SOLX6bR

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Ah, THESE metrics you mean ;-) ?

As mentioned before, there was an expected lull in pledges right before GamesCom.

Have fun

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Oh? so we're posting comments taken out of context (he started it was supposed to be humor) now?

OK, that's great. So here's a lengthy missive about the Line Of Defense (almost done) vs Star Citizen (vaporware)

Enjoy!

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

Oh? so we're posting comments taken out of context (he started it was supposed to be humor) now?

OK, that's great. So here's a lengthy missive about the Line Of Defense (almost done) vs Star Citizen (vaporware)

Enjoy!

Taken out of context ? The link was posted. Anyone can read up on the context to his/her hearts content.

One sentence (from the international gaming press) about LoD:

"..74 game crashes in 6 hours of testing ..."

Everything you mentioned in the missive counts for nothing if one has to stare at the desktop after a crash on average every 5 min.

Have fun

PS: (from Derek Smarts blog)

"...our world supported a large number of people in a massive world – no sharding, no instancing...."

I guess he means all 4 of his players. See Steam statistics for the last months: "peak concurrent users : 4"

One of the players he banned (the GameStar journalist). The other was the Steam moderator for the LoD group checking out the claims of the GameStar journalist. The third is most likely D.S. himself. The fourth is unknown. And I suspect he prefers to stay anonymous ;-)

PPS:

Derek Smart often quotes that at some point 500+ people were working on Star Citizen at the same time.  I would love to see the source for that. CIG or Chris Roberts never said that. Its a myth.

As D.S. bases his spending estimates on that number, its no wonder that he is getting the wrong results.

The official numbers:

"We have four development studios: Los Angeles, Austin, Wilmslow, UK and Frankfurt, Germany. Our internal headcount has gone from five at the end of 2012 to 59 at the end of 2013 to 183 at the end of 2014 and to 255 now."

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14839-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Add some contractor employees and freelancers to that. My guestimate: max. 80-100. Not 250.

Enjoy!

I don´t care if you can read my posts (would be so funny playing the game with you) but I already linked your revelation "cough" in here.

Push it Derek... push it real good!

You poor child nobody really loves. How much love is in your life?

Originally posted by Erillion

Enjoy!

One sentence (from the international gaming press) about LoD:

"..74 game crashes in 6 hours of testing ..."

Have fun

PS: (from Derek Smarts blog)

"...our world supported a large number of people in a massive world – no sharding, no instancing...."

I guess he means all 4 of his players. See Steam statistics for the last months: "peak concurrent users : 4"

One of the players he banned (the GameStar journalist). The other was the Steam moderator for the LoD group checking out the claims of the GameStar journalist. The third is most likely D.S. himself. The fourth is unknown. And I suspect he prefers to stay anonymous ;-)

The fourth one is one of his devs or buddies ShoHashi

And here DS tries again to compare LoD to SC... what a mess. If I could post there I would rip his lies apart.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/266620/discussions/0/535152511368945389/

Let´s see how posting and deleting will work in this discussion.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Now not to be like that... But if LoD is almost done.... Well... .. . Yikes. 

It is that phrase of not throwing stones when you live in a greenhouse/glasshouse. 

But at least the team behind SC can produce nice promomaterial... =P 

This have been a good conversation

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Enjoy!

Nobody cares about LoD.  Your entire argument ceased being relevant when you used it to try to sell your game and making personal attacks to do so.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

derek smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART!

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

LOL! you girls are funny.btw, here is Kotaku's write-up - which pretty much says what I've been saying about the project since JulyEnjoy!

The thing I do like about this thread; Your true colors are really coming out. Immature, incompetent, and exactly a perfect person to not trust at all. Hopefully this precludes you just...going away. You really bring nothing to the industry. Well other than the embodiment of what is wrong with it, but other than that, nothing.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Every blog I read about SC from Smart screams "LOOK AT MY GAMES!". Do not get me wrong, would not be suprised that if he is right about SC, but reading his blog sound like a sales person telling everyone he also own said product and loves it. However entertaining none the less. He should become running mate for Donald Trump! That would be awsome! 

Maybe DS should follow this chart here:

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Daikuru
    http://mirror.uncyc.org/wiki/Derek_Smart

Good one hehe

Picture is kinda old but...

... he invented one thing that wasn´t known to that time: Duckface

There are more duckface fotos of him :D

http://www.dereksmart.com/pics/

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I don't think Derek Smart has been relevant in gaming since he proved himself incapable of fixing BC3000AD back in the ancient days. I still remember buying into the hype and trying to tell myself I hadn't wasted my time and money, which was a process that went on for years until I finally gave up on it.

Star Citizen does seem like the ideal opportunity to turn your own massive failure into something else and use the publicity for destructive and selfish purposes.

If Star Citizen succeeds in being a good game, I wonder what level of delusion it will take to remain in denial about being so obviously inferior as a developer.